WH40k: Rogue Trader

Started by White Wolf, November 13, 2017, 01:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Wolf

SPEAKING OF CORPSE GODS!

Sort of.

My preference for this game is to set it before the Fall of Cadia - the 13th Black Crusade has happened, but there's still fighting taking place on Cadia. Guilliman isn't Regent yet, so the Imperium is as desperate and hopeless and screwed up as ever.

If anyone disagrees, I'm not strongly OPPOSED to the notion of setting the game in "Present Day," but I'd rather it be pre-Guilliman purely because the Imperium feels a lot darker and more splintered in that period.

Eager to hear everyone's thoughts :)
The stars are coming right. Is this really the end?

Muse

^_^;; 

I don't quite have the context to fallow that, White Wolf.  Are you talking about the erra that the original Dark Heresy was set in?  Before the minis games ripped a rent to the warp clear across the galaxy and the custodes started doing something and the primarchs started showing up as chaos demons? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

White Wolf

Quote from: Muse on November 15, 2017, 04:00:31 AM
  ^_^;; 

I don't quite have the context to fallow that, White Wolf.  Are you talking about the erra that the original Dark Heresy was set in?  Before the minis games ripped a rent to the warp clear across the galaxy and the custodes started doing something and the primarchs started showing up as chaos demons?

Sorry!

Basically, the latest plot development in the actual overall universe of 40k is that the Cadian Gate - the planet that sits between the Imperium and the Eye of Terror, where the Traitor Legions dwell - fell dramatically, and Chaos surged forwards and was set to basically destroy the Imperium.

The Eldar, being mad as a box of fish, had a genius idea to travel to the homeworld of the Ultramarines, where they kept the corpse of their Primarch, Roboute Guilliman, and use their crazy alien powers to bring him back to life. Guilliman travelled to Holy Terra to see the Emperor, then basically took over, launched a 100-year Crusade against Chaos that finally pushed them back, and basically saved mankind from finally being defeated.

It's all very cool. But it's a LITTLE too optimistic for the 40k we all know and love, so what I'm saying is my preference (preference - it's not a deal-breaker if people disagree, hahaha) is that we set our game before all this craziness started :)

Muse

*smiles* I'm entirely cool with that, then. 

Speaking of heresy i actualy find the grimdark theme delciiously satirical, but I keep that amusement out of character. 

Are we entry level characters?  I've got my books around here somewhere. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Drowdeviant

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 02:09:41 AM
I'd be tempted to try a Tau Fire Warrior if there is already heresy on the crew.  Otherwise, I assume a Missionary wouldn't work with a Dark Eldar about.  So maybe a Void Master.

There is no outright heresy in this crew! We are torturing that pointy eared sadist for secrets concerning slave raids carried out by her kin. xD

...Also I kinda don't like having Tau on board unless they have previously given up on the lie known as the greater good...That and they have submitted themselves for re-education in the imperial truth and the omnissah along with a certain pointy eared sadist! (I could see one venerating the emperor as more of a heroic saint than an outright god and the ominissah potentially as more of something like the force than an actual deity). Basically our tech priest will venerate both but for slightly different reasons than the common imperial citizen. xD

Praise be to the Emperor and his sons who remain loyal to the imperium, mankind's bulwark in our fight against the darkness of chaos!

Praise be to the Omnissah for its' mercy in allowing our great machinery to continue to function! :3

Horus deserved his fate when he allowed himself to be tempted to chaos. Russ, Vulkan...and sadly even the big blue boy scout that is Gullimen are my people.

...Magnus its' more debatable however because his tale isn't exactly as black and white as his brothers in what turned him to chaos. :P

...Also the following message is brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Mek boy. :3 :
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

White Wolf

Yeah you know it's funny, in-universe, I am a rabid fanatic for the God-Emperor. Like, friends of mine point out how amusing it is that the Emperor specifically tried to stop people worshipping him while he was alive and I'm like, I don't even want to hear it, he is a God and the proof of his divinity is literally everywhere you look in the Imperium.

I believe, man :P

And I think that's one of the things that makes 40k so compelling, is that the universe is so expansive there's room for actual, bona fide political disagreements between fans on what different things mean and what is true, hahaha, it's awesome.

But LOL I actually laughed out loud at your comment about the Tau. Stupid fish communists. But, yeah, that's probably a fair idea, don't go full heresy but demand the resident Xenos submit to the irrefutable truth of the Imperial Creed.

But you know, I don't dislike Guilliman or the Ultras. I dislike, with a passion, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, the Fifth Chaos God, for being a mewling fanboy, but I don't let his bad writing besmirch what, ultimately, is a perfectly fine concept for a Chapter (though admittedly I have probably headcanon'd out of existence his whole, "Every Chapter wants to be Ultramarines" bullshit which is just patently false).

But my favourite Primarch is the Angel Sanguinius. So, you know, expect there to be lots of references to him in this world if I'm DMing it hahaha.

So, okay, PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric, prepare to get even more annoyed - Are you okay with a Tau if said Tau has been forced to abandon his loyalty to the Ethereals, and worship the God-Emperor of Man instead?

EDIT: Lol Yes. ThereWillBeOrkz

PixelatedPixie

I hadn't settled on a Tau yet, I was glancing at the Arch-Militant and Void Master to see if anything came to mind for an interesting character.  Though if I went Tau it would probably be associated with the Farsight Enclaves, though I doubt the character would worship the God Emperor.  Though that questions raises a question of its own, is the crew expected to worship the God-Emperor?  That kind of precludes the Dark Eldar, and nixes a human idea or two I was thinking of to various degrees.

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 04:40:33 AM
I hadn't settled on a Tau yet, I was glancing at the Arch-Militant and Void Master to see if anything came to mind for an interesting character.  Though if I went Tau it would probably be associated with the Farsight Enclaves, though I doubt the character would worship the God Emperor.  Though that questions raises a question of its own, is the crew expected to worship the God-Emperor?  That kind of precludes the Dark Eldar, and nixes a human idea or two I was thinking of to various degrees.

No, it's not necessary that every character be 100% loyal and faithful, you're more then welcome to go full-blown heretic if you want. I think Drow's point was more, he wants to play a basically loyal ship, so that means the aliens will need to pass a basic test of faith to serve on board - even a Dark Eldar, hahaha. I mean, if the aliens attest to their faith with their fingers crossed behind their backs, who's to know, right...? ;)

Xue

Ah, if we're going full xeno, that's a bit too xeno for my tastes. Was thinking generally human.

White Wolf

Quote from: Xue on November 15, 2017, 04:46:24 AM
Ah, if we're going full xeno, that's a bit too xeno for my tastes. Was thinking generally human.

It would be a shame to lose you! :( At least wait and see what Cleric decides to play before deciding? :)

PixelatedPixie

Ah.  I probably wasn't going to go Tau, but it may be better for me to bow out in that case.  I don't mind game guidelines set by the GM as to the type of ship/crew, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be told how I can and can't play my character by another player (barring maybe the Rogue Trader character, since that would at least have an in-game reason). 

Drowdeviant

Quote from: White Wolf on November 15, 2017, 04:34:08 AM
Yeah you know it's funny, in-universe, I am a rabid fanatic for the God-Emperor. Like, friends of mine point out how amusing it is that the Emperor specifically tried to stop people worshipping him while he was alive and I'm like, I don't even want to hear it, he is a God and the proof of his divinity is literally everywhere you look in the Imperium.

I believe, man :P

And I think that's one of the things that makes 40k so compelling, is that the universe is so expansive there's room for actual, bona fide political disagreements between fans on what different things mean and what is true, hahaha, it's awesome.

But LOL I actually laughed out loud at your comment about the Tau. Stupid fish communists. But, yeah, that's probably a fair idea, don't go full heresy but demand the resident Xenos submit to the irrefutable truth of the Imperial Creed.

But you know, I don't dislike Guilliman or the Ultras. I dislike, with a passion, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, the Fifth Chaos God, for being a mewling fanboy, but I don't let his bad writing besmirch what, ultimately, is a perfectly fine concept for a Chapter (though admittedly I have probably headcanon'd out of existence his whole, "Every Chapter wants to be Ultramarines" bullshit which is just patently false).

But my favourite Primarch is the Angel Sanguinius. So, you know, expect there to be lots of references to him in this world if I'm DMing it hahaha.

So, okay, PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric, prepare to get even more annoyed - Are you okay with a Tau if said Tau has been forced to abandon his loyalty to the Ethereals, and worship the God-Emperor of Man instead?

EDIT: Lol Yes. ThereWillBeOrkz

Well as I said he'd be venerated as a saint with me, not an outright god. Hell he has done a lot of stuff bordering on being straight up miracles, it's just venerating him to the point that the imperium has turned into the unholy love child of inquisition era spain and nazi germany is what urks me. xD

Oh hatred of Ward is more than justified. All chapters outside the ultra smurfs, dark angels and black templars deserved way more love to me...including the Black Dragons and Carcharadons. But most of all the space wolves and the salamanders for doing their duty while also remaining decent human beings to their fellow imperial citizens (Salamanders especially cause they have effectively martyred countless battle brothers in the name of no one left behind even when the inquisition would condemn a planet to exterminatus). xD

Sanginius is a cool primarch to me as well...behind Russ, Vulkan and Magnus before he went to Chaos. xD

Also Orks will be liberally purified, they are not a race but a plague meant to slowly wipe out the Tyrannids! xD

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 05:03:40 AM
Ah.  I probably wasn't going to go Tau, but it may be better for me to bow out in that case.  I don't mind game guidelines set by the GM as to the type of ship/crew, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be told how I can and can't play my character by another player (barring maybe the Rogue Trader character, since that would at least have an in-game reason). 

Per I didn't mean to have it come off like that. I just imagine our dear rogue trader would have conditions to letting a tau on board on the ship in that he or she couldn't attempt to convert the crew to the greater good and turn them all sterile. I am fully behind having a sexy fish man or lady amongst us, I just think IC they would have had to agree to some ground rules set by our resident suave rogue trader before they would be welcomed aboard.

I was just thinking how our merry band of misfits would justify having a fish commie on board IC if the ecclesiarchy, inquisition or sororitas come knocking. xD

Also everyone remember that there is technically a way to eliminate some of the downsides to having xenos on board in system, though I'm forgetting the name of the specfic rite. Basically it just entails our non-human crew mates swearing to help the imperium and being in some way marked as allies of the throne...though the service is kind of hard to get done purely in terms of its' acquisition rarity and actually finding a member of the ministorum and or administratum willing to do it in the first place. xD
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

PixelatedPixie

I may have taken things poorly and/or the wrong way due to an unrelated foul mood.  I apologize if I was being rude and/or making a scene.  I do think that the nature of the ship needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later though.

I doubt I will play a Tau regardless.  I will probably go with a Void Master or Arch Militant depending on if/what Xue wants to play.

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 05:42:24 AM
I may have taken things poorly and/or the wrong way due to an unrelated foul mood.  I apologize if I was being rude and/or making a scene.  I do think that the nature of the ship needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later though.

I doubt I will play a Tau regardless.  I will probably go with a Void Master or Arch Militant depending on if/what Xue wants to play.

I'm really delighted to hear that! :D

Xue and I are discussing her character in PM right now. She seems to have settled on an Arch-Militant. BUT, given the role of an Arch-Militant, if you really wanted to play one too there'd be no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

Xue

Arch Militant it is, but a particularly assassin-esque take on it. :)

White Wolf

Quote from: Xue on November 15, 2017, 06:16:04 AM
Arch Militant it is, but a particularly assassin-esque take on it. :)

Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that. It basically still leaves a role open on the crew for a more traditional Arch Militant, since Xue's has a distinctly assassin-y flavour :)

PixelatedPixie

If she wants Arch-Militant I can go with Void Master.  The other thought was some sort of false Missionary (Drusian Charlatan eventually/to start?) or Manhunter/Reaver type, but that may not be possible or may complicate things too much.  The short answer is I have no idea what I want to play with any certainty so people should claim what they like and I'll figure something out.  :P

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 06:25:38 AM
If she wants Arch-Militant I can go with Void Master.  The other thought was some sort of false Missionary (Drusian Charlatan eventually/to start?) or Manhunter/Reaver type, but that may not be possible or may complicate things too much.  The short answer is I have no idea what I want to play with any certainty so people should claim what they like and I'll figure something out.  :P

If you wanted to play a...subversive cleric or something who would technically be at odds with the rest of the crew, that's totally cool. Complicated or no, this is 40k - If these people wanted simplicity and fairness they shouldn't have been born in the 41st Millennium :P

Muse

^_^;; 

Am I reading this wrong, or are we dancing back and forth between it being important for me to build a Trader wtih particular moral flexiblity, and me building a Trader with particular devotion to the God Emperor? 

I'm getting dizzy... 

White Wolf

Build the character you wanna' build, and see how they interact with the rest of the crew :)

Muse

Okay.  :) 

Should we start now? 

White Wolf

Where I'm at right now is I need to carve time out of my insane schedule to absorb the rulebooks, hahaha. I figure I can focus on the core rulebook for now and examine the others on an as-needed basis, or in the background while things proceed.

But, yes, since just about everyone is settled on a character I think it's safe to start putting together character sheets.

I'm wondering - should I set up an OOC thread for this game already, so people can start to post their character ideas and updates and everyone can begin to coalesce as a crew? You'll (we'll?) need to work together to design the ship as well so maybe it's time to move this onto an OOC thread and get the show on the road!

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Muse

I think we should go ahead and set up an OOC thread.  :) 

Do you mind if we use the Alocating Points option for our characteritics?  Or do you prefer that we roll? 

Xue

I'm happy to be collaborative with regards to things so that there's not so much burden on you too, WW. I'm not familiar with mechanics, but I can write character/setting description adequately, and occasionally plot :)

White Wolf

Okay I'll get to work on that thread right away :)

I like the idea of rolling for Rogue Trader. In D&D I'm a strict points buy person, but...again, this is the 41st Millennium. If you wanted sanity, you should have been born earlier. Like, 10,000 years earlier :P

So I think it adds to the atmosphere if stats are rolled at random (As in, you can roll up a bunch of numbers and then apply them to your stats as you see fit, but the actual generation OF those numbers should be random :) ).