This is what happens when you encourage kids to go into science

Started by Oniya, May 22, 2011, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I happened across this article by pure accident while reading far less uplifting news.  A 16-year-old has discovered a pair of drugs that, when used together, have a synergistic effect in treating the defective protein that is responsible for cystic fibrosis.  While this isn't a cure (the disease is caused by a genetic mutation), it could lead to improved quality of life and length of life for tens of thousands of people.

http://www.livescience.com/14138-teen-cystic-fibrosis-drug-cocktail-contest.html
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

That is amazing.

That about sums up my feelings about the subject, after reading the article.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

ReanimateMagnus

I had no idea that there were Asians in Toronto.

But anyways, this is so awesome!

Monochromatic

That is made a pure win, and awesomsauce.  It  always makes me happy to see younger people go into science, and things actually coming out of it. Definitely going to have to follow this further.

Thank you for sharing!

Malefique

Very uplifting, and I'm proud to say my own son is a science bod.  Looks like my daughter is too, which was a surprise.  But let's not forget the young Russian lad who made the world's first magnetic pulse rifle out of an old air gun; one problem with kids getting into science is that this lot have been reared on video games and have a lot of ideas about weaponry....  Magnificent achievement by that young man, though. 
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Oniya

Quote from: Malefique on May 28, 2011, 06:57:53 PM
But let's not forget the young Russian lad who made the world's first magnetic pulse rifle out of an old air gun;

You don't happen to have a link to that, do you?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Oniya

Malefique

Quote from: Oniya on May 28, 2011, 07:15:04 PM
You don't happen to have a link to that, do you?

Can't find it now, came across it on the Fortean Times website, but here's something similar: http://english.pravda.ru/science/tech/03-03-2010/112458-russian_teenager-0/
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Oniya

Quote from: Malefique on June 03, 2011, 07:00:54 AM
Can't find it now, came across it on the Fortean Times website, but here's something similar: http://english.pravda.ru/science/tech/03-03-2010/112458-russian_teenager-0/

I have to say, I find Pravda a somewhat more reliable source.

Malefique

Actually Fortean Times usually just collates weird stories from other news media - I've read stories on there from The Times, Le Monde and the Smithsonian website.  Mind you, it all depends on whether you trust such bastions of respectability; after all, the Times bought the Hitler Diaries, lol.