Alliances ( Needs help in setting up )

Started by Jclaymore, September 01, 2013, 06:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclaymore

Now, I have a pretty big concept, which I'd like to flesh out and start with a group of fellow rpers.

The basic idea is to set up a world, led by several factions, which are at constant odds and war, and which will end up having complicated alliances, and occasionally might be forced to work together because of a common enemy.

The result should be complicated plots orchestrated by several 'leaders' but with sub-plots with others trying to advance in their ranks and even take the leaders place. The death of a character is something that can happen, but only if reasonable within the rp. One can't just randomly decide to kill the enemy leader.

I am not sure yet how to set this all up, as well as I am unsure on which platform. Because of certain disadvantages I am currently deciding on whether to use Elliquiy as the medium or not, but I'm mainly looking here for ideas and opinions.

initially it'll be limited to 4 factions, but as there will be more players and characters, more factions might be created to make up for the amount.

I'll also be needing an advanced ruleset and guidelines for common problems, for instance if a 'leader' suddenly becomes inactive, or how to react to trolls, as well as requirements in terms of quality.

The intended setting is Fantasy, but with elements of Sci-fi and even just plain realism. The world will be expansive and needs some degree of lore.

I hope you all will help me with this, and I look forward to setting this up with the people interested.

Suggestions so far

A 3 faction system
Greatest issues that I can think of

Balancing the Factions
Deciding the outcome of battles
quality control

Logo

Silk

Well for the type of game your looking for I would suggest an odd number of factions (3 is ideal) So then it's a matter of they can't move on eachother without being hit on another side, and if one get's too powerful then the other two team up to bring down. If it's even then it just becomes a series of alliances that result in 1 on 1 stalemates, or a large group picking on smaller groups.

Jclaymore

That is making sense, I hadn't thought of that yet, I guess I'll make a list for the suggestions made here, which I'll be using to create the foundations of the rp. Thank you for your feedback!

Vaulera

I'd be interested in something like this. Also, if you're doing this on the Elliquiy forums, worrying about trolls isn't so bad. As for a contingency in the case of leaders going inactive, you can set up a sort of ranking system. Commander, Captain, etc. For balancing the factions, it depends on what sort of technologies you think they are capable of. For deciding the outcome of battles, I would say that you would do it according to perhaps who can come up with some sort of creative measure, or just according to a plot, or worked out in some OOC thread between the players. As for quality control, it always comes down to the players, so you could screen posts based on grammar, spelling, length, etc.

Jclaymore

lol I agree, you don't have many trolls here in Elliquiy, and if they are here they get dealt with pretty quickly.

Personally, I'm a fan of freeform rp, even in group rps. However, the intention is that characters here CAN die, and WILL die if they do stupid things. Perhaps a rule that you'd have to talk it out before the battle itself starts? I could design a rudimentary system that could be used in case talking won't help.

I'll be more then happy to welcome people in advance. I'm still weighting the odds where I'll make it. On a site of my own, or here on elliquiy. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I was also bored enough to whip up a quick logo for it. It'll be posted up in a minute.