The Coven of Truun Mages (Recruiting - horror/fantasy)

Started by Photo, April 13, 2012, 03:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photo

The Truun mansion finds itself standing in the center of an endless wooded hell. The dark, predatory forest houses monsters and bad men in company. There are walls all around that protect this mansion from danger and death. However, the reality of this world is a cold one to bare: Humankind is losing track of it's own number. We are endangered. We do not know what year it is, for too long have we been forced to worry about more important things. Generation after generation has spent one hundred percent of its efforts on survival. A scourge has populated the earth, they hunt our kind, we have no sure way of defending ourselves. It is up to each individual to excel, and make themselves worthy of the breathes that they take every day.

This is the Age Without Time, and you, young one have been found blessed. The mystical energy of the dark arts swims through your blood like warm electricity. There is power in you. However, these forces can destroy you. This magic can make you into a whole new breed of monster. Will you help the human race strive through this elongated time of peril, or fall mercilessly into a world of shadowy light and austere carnality?

the center of this game will be the Truun mansion, built by dedicated martial artists, it is very nearly completer, after eight years of construction. This massive structure is designed to house, and train young witches and wizards (mages, as this game uses a less gender specific term for magic users).

I'm looking for a few people (2-7) who would like to learn magic in my special house of protection. This game is designed to be dark and gritty. This is not a HP canon game, and it resembles that universe in almost no way at all. However, the same themes are utilized in this game. This is about good versus evil, young people harnessing their gifts, learning things the hard way, rebellion, parental discontent. Really, I stress that this game is wide open. I have some rules when it comes to magic, but i'll get to that later. This is actually just a small section of a bigger game that I'm running. the board is already up, and in use. However, the magic part of my game has been completely ignored by my other players. I think it's because the original interest thread put very little emphasis on magic users. The universe is one that involves deranged, serial killer, style vampires. These beasts are the main villains, but the boys and girls that live in the mansion rarely EVER see such evils.

Most characters would have grown up in a fictional city named Anders, but the narrative allows for almost anything your imagination can come up with. The mansion is inside of a camp (The Jikundi Truun camp). This camp is inside of Anders. Anders is inside the gigantic forest described in the first paragraph. 'Jikundi' Is a fictional martial art. Truun is the original mage that started this school of magic.

As a note, sex is encourage in this game, but it's not about sex. Not even close, if you find yourself under informed, I meant to do that. This game is huge, and i didn't want to scare anyone away with details. However! I will make a long note about the rules of this world below:

The Magic Rules of The Magic Mansion

So, The Jikundi Truun (the clan that operates this mansion) have two training regiments: One is called Black Arts. the other is called Ritual Magic

These are the two kinds of magic that we're dealing with here. The two variety's assist each other, but they exist in large part by themselves as well. And in order to be truly powerful it is important to train in both of these aspects, or ascertain some kind of gift for one, the other, or both. Wands are allowed, anything Harry Potter or LOTR is probably functional here. The two brands of magic that I've outlined here are meant to separate active magic powerhouses with inactive magic spell-craft. So keep in mind that I always bend the rules with this game. If there is something that displeases you, just mention it, I will likely find a way to excuse the rule and move forward in favor of creativity and imagination.

Black Arts/ Dark Arts/ Hand Magic - These powers are manifested on command. The caster can prepare spells in advance, and devastate their obstacles. This includes fire throwing, wards or shields, telekinesis, aura projection or body energy blasts, lightening bolts, etc. One can make their power stronger by using Ritual magic, but the actual act of most battle ready magics are restricted to this variety. The real strength of the magic is entirely dependent on the user(s). If multiple witches use the same spell together, their force will be stronger, naturally. Again, ritual magic and practice in the dark arts may increase the strength of an individual witch. But, it is not guaranteed, most are born with the gifts that they receive.

Ritual Magic/ Camp Magic - This form of magic is performed in private places so that no one can disturb the process. These spells take a long time to produce, and often aren't involved with directly harming anything. this includes summoning of demons, enchanting space with protective shields, cursing some one or some thing, altering ones own appearance or personality, focusing power into people or instruments of magic, portal creation, etc. In general, the more the merrier when it comes to ritual magic: Four candles works, but why not four hundred. One person can do it, but seven people chanting in the corner would create a large force of energy to use. If you need to burn a picture, a match can do the job, but a bon fire will intensify the spell. Further, people without any natural ability with the dark arts, can use ritual magic without any trouble, and even introduce the magic into the body. Ritual magic is the gateway magic.

And another brief note that means a great deal about the magic: there is pretty much no exception, magic is dark energy being used to manifest human desire. It is evil, if one can use it with dignity and honor, they are held in high regard. this is partially why the Truun house is so well respected.

CHARACTER SHEET
one must include a response to every blank below (except for other, that can be blank). The format will not bother me

Name: (feel free to make up names, this takes place in a fictional world my favorite character from this game is named Ili'meni Westcott)
Race: (assume that you are human)
Appearance: (a picture and a description is preferred)
Affiliation: (put 'Jikundi Truun' here unless otherwise instructed)
Personality:
Biography: (write a novella for this if you'd like to)
Magic capabilities: (do not be afraid to be too powerful, the likelihood of some one creating a character powerful enough to ruin the game is unlikely, but if you do, I will let you know, so i want to see creativity here,  Use your character's powers as a metaphor for their personality and state of mind, or even their journey. Also, don't forget that this magic is a burden to our characters, so weaknesses should be a primary focus.)
Other: (Just in case you think of something that has no category.)

Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Photo

everything is allowed. But this is not a terribly tentacle dependent game
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Bloody Rose

mmm it's a ice black arts male or female acceptable?

Photo

Zarazel, I believe you're asking if some one can use ice magic?

the answer is yes. And, all mages can be male or female.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Photo on April 14, 2012, 02:45:26 PM
everything is allowed. But this is not a terribly tentacle dependent game

I heart you.

Is it possible, since I noticed demon summoning and whatnot, that a character can become possessed, manipulated?  ^^

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Photo

absolutely, and to any degree.

I could imagine any number of characters getting in to the dark arts too far and getting possessed by a demon that they attempted to summon.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

minerva7790

This, and your other game, look interesting! I'm just going to indicate my interest here for now, while I try to absorb the background information of this universe. Awesome effort you've put into this, by the way!
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Photo

lovely, and nice to here. I'll be fielding questions in either thread.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Azaria

definitely interesting O_o

I'm in if you will have me :)

Drake Valentine

I'll bookmark for possible interest.  But as always, a few questions(before I leaves for work.)

I. Are those you are recruiting just newly initiates with no magic knowledge or can they already been there for some time and know magic?
II. How long does it take to master a certain element or can a player only master one element/field of study? Or can they go about with additional studies of magic?
III. Can they have some form of martial training before joining the Coven or will the Coven also teach that along with studies of magic?

Photo

I'm looking for players who are willing to take on a character with some abilities prior to the narrative. The Jikundi Truun clan specializes in electric magic, lightening, force-fields, manipulation of body energy and the like. So, the learning of other spells would likely make a large impact on the role that each character ends up playing. And, this thread was to look specifically for people who wanted to play mages, but if you'd like to study with the Jikundi ,master as well, that can be arranged. However, you would be living in a barracks, and not the mansion.

To answer your questions more forwardly:

I: characters will be allowed to know any amount of magic (with in reason), but it is encouraged to make them 18-25 years old, and at least three years of magic training.
II:Franze Derrick, the master of the Coven, will allow each student a limit to their courses, but each character will grow at a varied pace with the rest. It will likely take the whole game to learn anything new.
III: characters interested in martial arts should be joining the Jikundi Gym, in which case any amount of experience is acceptable.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Photo

For those of you who are interested, I've provided a character sheet in the original post. Take your time, we've got a lot of game to play
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA