Heroes of Myth [Pathfinder - Path of War] - Interest check

Started by eternaldarkness, March 18, 2015, 11:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

As the saying goes, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. So...in that vein, i'm looking to run a Pathfinder game of good old-fashioned dungeon crawling in a fantasy world that is a conglomeration of many ancient cultures. I'm specifically allowing and encouraging people to take the three base classes from Path of War and will be making life a bit more difficult for spellcasting classes. I want a game focused on the kinds of heroes from myth and legend like Beowulf, Achilles, and Odysseus as well as some more fantastic ones from other media like Cloud Strife and his videogame and manga ilk.

The story would focus heavily on exploring and battling fantastic monsters, and as stated while spellcasters are not disallowed they are going to be rare and have some difficulties. I'm thinking that the PC's will be sent forth by some monarch or powerful being on their quest, and I will almost certainly give them a cool vehicle of some kind to ride around in, so an epic pirate captain would not be unwelcome.

Right now, I want to see if there would be any interest in this, and I would love a CO-GM so that i could actually play a bit myself. I've been dying to give PoW a spin.

Players and Characters
GM: Eternaldarkness
CO-GM:
Player 1:
Player 2:
Player 3:
Player 4:
Player 5:

eBadger

Intrigued - pirate captain sounds very fun.  What sort of adventure/setting are you looking at?  And how exactly are you penalizing spell casters?  Even with a focus on the melee types, I think magic adds a neat dimension to the game....

eternaldarkness

Quote from: eBadger on March 18, 2015, 12:31:38 PM
Intrigued - pirate captain sounds very fun.  What sort of adventure/setting are you looking at?  And how exactly are you penalizing spell casters?  Even with a focus on the melee types, I think magic adds a neat dimension to the game....

Setting-wise, i'm thinking a homebrewed world very similar to real-world ancient europe and the mediterranean with a super-heavy dose of fantasy. The world is filled with monsters and supernatural creatures of all kinds, and danger lies beyond the edges of the map. the PC's would be on a quest to retrieve some mcguffins from various monsters and other badguys. I haven't worked out the details yet - I want to see what kind of players and characters I get first - but expect a lot of exploration, dungeon-crawling, and monster-slaying with heavy doses of character-driven interaction.

As for spellcasters, i'm not doing anything too onerous to them, they'll just be widely regarded with either awe or great suspicion, or in some cases outright hostility, depending on their trappings and the local attitudes, and they will be rare - the PC caster types will probably be the only ones anyone has ever met personally. That being said, this means they really are special. Mechanically, it might be a bit tough for spellcasters to find things like new spells (for wizards). Divine casters might have a bit of an easier time depending on class and deity of choice.

Also, note that while i'd love to see a lot of the three PoW classes, other non-casters are by no means unwelcome.

eBadger

So basically the Argonauts, eh?  Hmm, will give it a think.  Any notion yet what level you're aiming at?

TheGlyphstone

A Gm who actively encourages and welcomes PoW? You are my new best E-friend. ;D

I'm picturing a very Conan feel to magic based on the little you've said. Is that the right atmosphere to be expecting?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 01:44:51 PM
A Gm who actively encourages and welcomes PoW? You are my new best E-friend. ;D

I'm picturing a very Conan feel to magic based on the little you've said. Is that the right atmosphere to be expecting?

I was a huge fan of Tome of Battle in 3.5, and PoW does everything it did and then some. I'm not opposed to other select 3pp content either, subject to my approval.As for magic, you're about right - true magic users will be as rare as they were in Hyboria, but just as powerful as they are in any D&D-like setting.

Currently approved sources are: All Paizo and Dreamscarred Press content. Yes, this includes psionic classes.

TheGlyphstone

Does that mean you'll be using the Psionics Are Different? Or will psionics/magic transparency be maintained mechanically, but only magic be subject to the mystery and social stigmas?

Either way, I think I'm set on a legendary-archer type character. Probably using Stalker as a base class, using Solar Wind and swapping something out for the new Tempest Gale playtest discipline.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 02:09:16 PM
Does that mean you'll be using the Psionics Are Different? Or will psionics/magic transparency be maintained mechanically, but only magic be subject to the mystery and social stigmas?

Either way, I think I'm set on a legendary-archer type character. Probably using Stalker as a base class, using Solar Wind and swapping something out for the new Tempest Gale playtest discipline.

Psionics/magic transparency is in play, and most people won't be able to tell the difference between the two. I need to look at Tempest Gale, but i'll allow it for now, as I have utmost faith in Dreamscarred Press.

Chulanowa

Vibes
Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.
Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

I'm feeling it. I'm not terribly interested in the Path of War stuff, myself, so will probably be eyeballing something from the main line.

TheGlyphstone

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mmEGGV-7j6ZGZqPXblPeY8cPzYtTweDtggVA0kqyAmM/edit

sniper/archery with a splash of ranged Combat maneuvers/trick shots feel to it. Also works with guns, but I think I want to stick with pure archery even if we do a pirate-ship theme.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 18, 2015, 02:29:42 PM
Vibes
Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.
Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

I'm feeling it. I'm not terribly interested in the Path of War stuff, myself, so will probably be eyeballing something from the main line.

A-okay. And I love that excerpt. brings a tear to my eye and makes me want to see a mighty-thewed barbarian (with a little 'b') hero out to kick ass, win great fortunes, and bang hot chicks in chainmail bikinis.

For that matter, i wouldn't mind seeing a hot chick in a chainmail bikini. Just throwing that out there. Red Sonya?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 02:33:50 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mmEGGV-7j6ZGZqPXblPeY8cPzYtTweDtggVA0kqyAmM/edit

sniper/archery with a splash of ranged Combat maneuvers/trick shots feel to it. Also works with guns, but I think I want to stick with pure archery even if we do a pirate-ship theme.

Oh my, I like that discipline a lot. Feel free to use it.

TheGlyphstone

rotburn

If there's any room, I think playing a Stalker would be wicked.

Only played Pathfinder twice, but willing to learn the ways. Of course if you want more experienced players I'll just dissipate into a cloud of smoke now.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 03:38:25 PM
So what level range are you aiming at to start?

I'm thinking around level 6 - high enough that you are all experienced adventurers with enough room to flesh out concepts. I'll be wanting a little blurb about the feats of awesomeness your characters have done before we start, so this is important.

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
If there's any room, I think playing a Stalker would be wicked.

Only played Pathfinder twice, but willing to learn the ways. Of course if you want more experienced players I'll just dissipate into a cloud of smoke now.

Newbies are perfectly okay. Hammer out a concept and jump in.

I'll take a maximum of five players.

eBadger

Yay not level 1!  I'll have a character to you within a day or so. 

rotburn

Woo! Are there any external links I should sort through to force out a character to the level you're looking for? I've got this PoW up, but I doubt that's all I'll need.

TheGlyphstone

Excellent. One Vigilante Stalker with the Acolyte of the Arrow tradition coming up. Let the snipe-tastic archery commence.

I'm Batman.

yaracyrrah

What is the armor bonus of a chain-mail bikini?

In related news, Warlord sounds cool :) .

eternaldarkness

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 04:35:00 PM
Woo! Are there any external links I should sort through to force out a character to the level you're looking for? I've got this PoW up, but I doubt that's all I'll need.

All you need is d20pfsrd and Path of War. All the information you need is there, and anything outside of Paizo and Dreamscarred material should be run by me.

Character Creation: 25 Point-Buy (Here's a Point-Buy calculator). Races that are most appropriate are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Aasimar (descendants of gods), and Tiefling (Descendants of much darker gods and demons), but other race are allowed and encouraged with a good story. Alternate racial traits are also allowed.
Classes: All Paizo and Dreamscarred Press classes.
Traits: You may select two Traits, with the normal restriction that you cannot select two traits from the same list.
Starting Level: 6.

Quote from: yaracyrrah on March 18, 2015, 04:49:34 PM
What is the armor bonus of a chain-mail bikini?

In related news, Warlord sounds cool :) .

Same as a Chain Shirt or Chainmail, depending on how you wanna fluff it :D

rotburn

Thank you eternaldarkness! This actually helped a lot! Especially knowing the point buy and all that jazz!

Ah dark gods, I'm in love with this character building already. Since there's already a Stalker in the works I'll change it up. Want to be able to offer a character to round out the group.

yaracyrrah

eBadger

Looking at the above I feel almost duty bound to add in a taste of magic.  Might go Skald, although that's a bit of a waste with no barbarians in the group, or sorcerer for contrasting goodness.  Will see what I can find inspiration-wise. 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 04:59:58 PM
Thank you eternaldarkness! This actually helped a lot! Especially knowing the point buy and all that jazz!

Ah dark gods, I'm in love with this character building already. Since there's already a Stalker in the works I'll change it up. Want to be able to offer a character to round out the group.

I'm using the Vigilante archetype with an archery focus, so if you were going for a more traditional melee Stalker, there would still be design space difference.

rotburn

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 05:35:57 PM
I'm using the Vigilante archetype with an archery focus, so if you were going for a more traditional melee Stalker, there would still be design space difference.

I'm already setting up with a Half-Elf Ranger dude. If your doing archery I'll focus on something else like a familiar with Natural weapon or two-weapon combat.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 05:49:50 PM
I'm already setting up with a Half-Elf Ranger dude. If your doing archery I'll focus on something else like a familiar with Natural weapon or two-weapon combat.

If you're going with a Ranger anyways, maybe take a look at the Ambush Hunter archetype? a Thrashing Dragon TWF ranger would be somewhat nuts, especially if you pick up the Paired Opportunist teamwork feat with your Martial Companion.

eternaldarkness

Let me just say: Do not hold back on the over-the-top awesomeness. I intend you to be epic heroes, the kinds of people who when they see armies of rampaging orogs riding Dire Magma Bears just shrug their shoulders and go 'Only one army? We should be done with this one in time or lunch.'

yaracyrrah

Y'all may know this already, but: as a Warlord I have the ability to share teamwork feats, so you'll have a partner for any teamwork feat you might select.  Also I can share my own teamwork feats with all nearby allies.  My current plan is to take Precise Strike (adds damage while flanking), but I'm all ears if something else would be more beneficial to the group.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 18, 2015, 06:41:58 PM
Let me just say: Do not hold back on the over-the-top awesomeness. I intend you to be epic heroes, the kinds of people who when they see armies of rampaging orogs riding Dire Magma Bears just shrug their shoulders and go 'Only one army? We should be done with this one in time or lunch.'

So, we're basically going to be playing D20 Exalted?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 06:47:25 PM
So, we're basically going to be playing D20 Exalted?

Perform deeds such that the Unconquered Sun himself would feel inadequate upon hearing of them.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 18, 2015, 06:57:40 PM
Perform deeds such that the Unconquered Sun himself would feel inadequate upon hearing of them.

We may need more Mythic ranks for that. :D

eternaldarkness

yaracyrrah

Speaking of "early on": is there yet any basic setting information, e.g. what kind of place our characters should be in and/or what goal they should be pursuing so that the party will coalesce?

Chulanowa

So I have to ask... What are your feelings on gnolls? Kobolds? Lizardfolk?  ;D I kinda like going with monster-types when i can

eternaldarkness

Quote from: yaracyrrah on March 18, 2015, 07:08:34 PM
Speaking of "early on": is there yet any basic setting information, e.g. what kind of place our characters should be in and/or what goal they should be pursuing so that the party will coalesce?

I'm working on it as we speak. Mainly, i'm bad at names, but think sprawling gilded, cosmopolitan metropolis in a vaguely mediterranean region. Your characters will have been summoned by the king of said kingdom to take on a quest that requires real heroes - you'll be hunting down and murdering the beasts who defeated the gods themselves, a task which he and many other monarchs have sent whole armies to perform and got nothing for it but a lot of dead soldiers. The reason why you are taking on this suicidal quest is entirely up to you - fame, wealth, something to prove, to get out of jail, or maybe because you're a loyal servant of the crown, or the gods.

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 18, 2015, 07:15:58 PM
So I have to ask... What are your feelings on gnolls? Kobolds? Lizardfolk?  ;D I kinda like going with monster-types when i can

Have at it. I was going to decide what races were common and which were rare and mysterious based on your characters and backgrounds anyway, aside from the few I already mentioned.

Chulanowa

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 18, 2015, 07:34:20 PM
Have at it. I was going to decide what races were common and which were rare and mysterious based on your characters and backgrounds anyway, aside from the few I already mentioned.

TheGlyphstone

Impending death from being crushed by Ursula's boobs is weirdly hypnotizing.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 07:49:00 PM
Impending death from being crushed by Ursula's boobs is weirdly hypnotizing.

Boob crushing is how I always dreamt of dying.

TheGlyphstone

Could I have a modified Efficient Quiver with 2 compartments for storing arrows, instead of 1 arrow compartment and 1 javelin compartment?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 08:55:11 PM
Could I have a modified Efficient Quiver with 2 compartments for storing arrows, instead of 1 arrow compartment and 1 javelin compartment?

Sure, that's not even really necessary though. Efficient Quivers just hold whatevers in their compartments and bring them to hand instantly when you reach in anyway.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, but the base item description has strict limits. 1 compartment that can hold 60 arrows, 1 compartment that can hold 18 javelins, 1 compartment that can hold 6 bows/crossbows. I'm never going to use javelins, so I wanted to legitimately double the arrow volume I can carry extradimensionally.

rotburn

I feel so far behind. ! I'll have to work more on this tomorrow because I keep messing up my skills. It's making me bristle.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 09:10:22 PM
I feel so far behind. ! I'll have to work more on this tomorrow because I keep messing up my skills. It's making me bristle.

Don't. You have plenty of time before we're even close to starting, and I won't get it going until everyone is ready to start and I flesh out the setting a bit more, which itself won't happen until I get characters and some backgrounds from all of you guys :)

rotburn

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 18, 2015, 09:27:57 PM
Don't. tou have plenty of time before we're even close to starting, and I won't get it going until everyone is ready to start and I flesh out the setting a bit more, which itself won;t happen until I get characters and some backgrounds from all of you guys :)

Ok, I feel a bit better now :P TheGlyphstone seems on top of his game!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: rotburn on March 18, 2015, 09:31:04 PM
Ok, I feel a bit better now :P TheGlyphstone seems on top of his game!

I just love building characters and have way too much time on my hands. Don't use me as a benchmark...

Working on the background now, since mechanics are done. Does being able to hit a target at 940ft. with no penalty, and a maximum of 2260ft. at a net -6, in the middle of a windstorm, qualify as sufficiently awesome?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 09:35:16 PM
I just love building characters and have way too much time on my hands. Don't use me as a benchmark...

Working on the background now, since mechanics are done. Does being able to hit a target at 940ft. with no penalty, and a maximum of 2260ft. at a net -6, qualify as sufficiently awesome?

It's a start :D I will make sure you have plenty of chances to do so, too.

TheGlyphstone

Do you have a name for the God/dess of Death in your setting yet? I plan on having a bone to pick with them.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 09:38:30 PM
Do you have a name for the God/dess of Death in your setting yet? I plan on having a bone to pick with them.

The Gods
Keep in mind that none of the gods are strictly 'good' or 'evil'. They are the embodiments of their portfolios, and thus beyond concepts of good and evil, law and chaos - they act as they should, or in the case of some like Invictus, as they will. An evil person might worship Invictus for the power to inflict plague and death on his enemies, while a kindly healer could draw power from Melfia to stave off death for those whose time has yet to come. keep in mind that these six are the major deities - there are a great many lesser deities, demigods, hero-deities and minor celestials and demons descended from, spawned, or elevated by the gods.

The Gods of Light
So called because they are led by Invictus, the gods of light are not necessarily gods of goodness, but are by and large considered much better than their counterparts the Dark Gods.

Invictus - The king of the gods and the lord of Air, Law, Light and Life, Invictus is a powerful but haughty and incredibly vain deity who is famous for his fickle nature, and even though he is a deity of light and life he also has a wrathful side, and those who earn his wrath may well find themselves twisted into horrific forms or slain by bolts of celestial lightning or raging tempests. Unlike the other gods, Invictus has never shared his divine spark - he has no children, and his blessings are handed out sparingly, but nonetheless those who pray for the sun to rise each day and fear the storm pray fervently to him to. His clergy are rare, chosen from among only the the most powerful and beautiful, especially handsome men and women of radiant beauty.

Melfia - The Goddess of Death, Time, and Earth, also called The Inevitable, is said to be a terrifying being born at the moment the first Primordial died and the concept of death was conceived of by those powerful beings. Melfia's countenance is said to cause terror in even the stoutest of hearts despite her ashen beauty. Those who understand death also know that it is nothing to fear. Melfia claims only those whose time has come, and many a hero has returned from her realm to fight again as an undead warrior when his life was cut unexpectedly short. Melfia has borne a great many children with her brother and sometimes-lover Teio.

Teio - Called the Guiding Star or the Iron Hammer, Teio is the god of Fire and Fate, brother of Invictus and Melfia and the greatest craftsman and warrior of the gods. Teio is also the patron deity of adventurers, and many a hero and villain both have received some powerful weapon or magical trinket as a result of his favor. Although he is older than Invictus he is far less powerful than his radiant younger sibling and serves dutifully as his brothers right hand and the chief warrior and craftsman of the gods. Teio has even given away much of his power and his duties to other gods and even mortals- his followers are legion, and his many offspring born of both mortal and divine unions walk the earth in greater numbers than any other god except Rasmus. Of all the gods, none of them has walked the earth among mortals more often than Teio, and three separate times he has shed his godhood entirely to battle against the minions of the dark gods personally.

Dark Gods coming shortly.

Chulanowa

Well, I've got a long day ahead of me at work tomorrow, but i'll try to come up with something for this. All i know at the moment is that I have like three rogues in other games, so, i'll take a pass on those guys  ;D

Rajah

Oh, man. Have I got a Stalker for this...I'll stay melee so's not to toe-step. (Though that archery discipline is fantastic! I don't like Solar Wind's fire-focus, that's EXACTLY what ranged should be).

How do you feel about Riven Hourglass?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

TheGlyphstone

Eldon, The Ghost Who Laughs
TN Male Halfling Stalker (Vigilante) 6

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=14051

Background

Many years ago, there was a cheerful young halfling by the name of Eldon Firetongue, known for the razor's edge of his wit and the cheerful, if good-natured, abandon he employed it with. Eldon was a good lad, full of cheer and heart, and it was inevitable that he would draw the eyes and hearts of the halfling lasses that he met. Only one drew his eyes in return, though, by the name of Eloise. They were a perfect couple - well-matched in mind and pleasing to each other in body; Eldon was an accomplished tailor with a solid career, and Eloise came from a good family happy to see her safe and provided for. When Eldon woke on his wedding day, he was giddy with anticipation, and decided to calm his nerves with a walk to the orchards outside of town, intent on a basket of apples to bring back as a gift to his new bride.

The shouts that whispered  across the fields as he plucked fruit might have been cries of joy, but the thick columns of smoke that billowed from the village were not the smoke of celebratory bonfires. When he realized there was trouble, Eldon rushed home at all speed, but was too late for anything but mourning. The marauder band had swept in on horses out of nowhere, killing and looting with reckless abandon, before galloping away with an inferno at their backs.  Eldon buried Eloise, still in the wedding dress he had not seen till that day, and the fire that had warmed his tongue turned to ice. Having never known his would-be wife, he could not simply let her go, but the realms of the dead were no place for ordinary men. Now grimly determined, Eldon sought out isolated monasteries and immersed himself in the teachings of the assassin-monks that lived there. He learned the ways of the bow and the blade, and the many means by which the darkness could be used to bring death to one's enemies. His was a grim quest, a self-imposed penance for failing on the day that mattered most to him. He would travel the world, hunting a route that would lead him to the realm of Melfia. It was said that The Inevitable One would not begrudge the souls of those who had died before their destined time, and his sweet Eloise was nothing if not a soul taken too early. He would find the realms of death, and seek his beloved's freedom - and if the goddess of death would not freely give up Eloise's spirit, then Eldon would steal it from her instead.

Yet he knew the gates of death would not be easy to find, nor lightly guarded, and first he would test himself against the greatest and most dangerous foes the world had to offer. Either they would reveal the secrets he sought, or killing them would hone his skill further. And wherever he went, he smiled, preserving his betrothed's memory in the laughter she treasured so much. His smile took him to the timeless glades of the Summer Sidhe, where his skill at archery won the favor of the Faerie Queens and an enchanted quiver to hold his arrows. His laughter led him to the feasting halls of the corsair lords of Mortelheim, besting a dozen pirates in single combat to the death in search of a clue regarding the identities of the raider band responsible for his loss. When the Tyrant King of the Smoking Mountain was found dead in his bedchambers in the middle of a hundred loyal soldiers, it was said the corpse held an arrow clutched in its fist. When the fortress of Silver Peak was besieged by ogres and giants, a mysterious stranger shot an arrow with a note attached from the highest tower to the army garrison half a mile away in the valley, summoning relief in the nick of time. He was everywhere, and he was nowhere, seemingly already with one foot on either side of the grave. A phantom, with a gleaming arrowhead in the night and a quiet chuckle that heralded one's doom. A ghost, laughing without humor in perpetual mourning for the fallen.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Rajah on March 19, 2015, 01:46:33 AM
Oh, man. Have I got a Stalker for this...I'll stay melee so's not to toe-step. (Though that archery discipline is fantastic! I don't like Solar Wind's fire-focus, that's EXACTLY what ranged should be).

How do you feel about Riven Hourglass?

VERY interesting discipline! I rather like it, and if you're interested in joining that actually makes 6 potential players, which is one more than what I can handle without a co-GM, but I may still try it with 6 anyway in case someone drops.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 19, 2015, 02:04:43 AM
VERY interesting discipline! I rather like it, and if you're interested in joining that actually makes 6 potential players, which is one more than what I can handle without a co-GM, but I may still try it with 6 anyway in case someone drops.

There's always the possibility of a reserve list- characters you like but don't have room for, to be quickly tapped to replace someone who drops from the original group.

eBadger

Starting with more is usually better, as it's a lot easier to drop characters than add them; and a couple players will inevitably drop out. 

Spent the whole night pondering ideas (there was a feisty naga in there for awhile) before returning to pretty much my original concept: Aesa Wyrmborn, an arcanist intent upon finding and destroying the dragon who raped her mother. 

Sheet (in progress)

yaracyrrah

A first draft:

Thiora
Far to the northwest, separated by a dangerous wilderness from the realms of men, lies the domain of the legendary Amazons, the daughters of the goddess Aete.  It is said that even the least of the Amazons is stronger and faster than any mortal man.  It is said that they hunt for sport both the fiercest beasts and the hobgoblin nomads of the steppes.  And it is said that even the Amazons themselves revere the prowess of the warrior Thiora.

All of these things are true.

Thus, in time it came to pass that Thiora grew bored with the slaying of beasts and hobgoblins, and asked permission of her goddess to leave her homeland and seek new challenges in the world of men.  Aete granted her wish, and blessed her champion with even greater power, that men should witness the greatness of the goddess and her people.  Thus the mightiest of the Amazons came to the lands of men.

Already Thiora's deeds are becoming legend.  When she was ambushed by brigands, she slew a dozen men without shedding a single drop of her own blood.  When she heard of a marauding river beast whose scales were tougher than steel, she went and slew it with a single blow of her bare hand, and made armor of its hide.  In another village whose oxen were all slain by a plague, she drew plows for three days and nights without rest to allow the fields to be sown at the proper time.

None of these feats, however, even began to test the mettle of the champion of the Amazons.  Thus she has come to the great city of Ampolion, drawn by the news that King Therus has summoned the greatest heroes of the land to attempt a seemingly impossible task.  Perhaps this will finally allow Thiora to prove that the daughters of Aete are even mightier than the legends say.

I've tentatively built Thiora as human, but if I may be so bold, I propose the following crunch for added awesomeness:

Custom Race: Amazon (7RP)

( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races )
Type: Humanoid (0RP)
Size: Medium (0RP)
Base Speed: 30' (0RP)
Abilities: Flexible: +2 to any two ability scores (2RP)
Languages: Standard (0RP) (Common and Amazon [which might be a dialect of Celestial])
Traits:
*Advanced Strength: +2 S (4RP)
*Sprinter: +10 speed when running/charging (1RP)

rotburn

You can put me on the back burner for other people who actually have characters ready.

I've been working on this character and I either must be of low mental capabilities, or all this information is eating me away. Like subskills, those random changeable spells, checking stats back and forth, adding more points everywhere else, and what traits I can or can't have because of class or race.

By the Dark Gods I've lost myself somewhere in the thick of things.

yaracyrrah

If help would help, so to speak, you can PM me what you have and I can try to fix it up for you, or at least highlight the major choices you need to make.

eBadger

Still need to sort out some gear and details, and I've left the recent stuff vague to fit into however we start the game, but this is the gist of it all.  Tried to take the notion of magic as the scary unknown and run with it. 

Aesa Wyrmborn
Arcanist 6

It was clear from her birth that Aesa was no ordinary elf, with her flame-bright eyes and feverish skin.  As a toddler she began playing with flames, laughing as she held her hand within them as though it merely tickled.  As a child, she began to focus her will into magic. 

It was not unexpected.  Years before a massive dragon had descended from the sky upon the wooded mountain village, great beats of its ruby wings sending waves of ash through the streets.  It demanded sacrifice, and Aesa's mother Aella was chosen as the most beautiful maiden, chained in the forest and left for dead as the beast instructed.  But she was not devoured; for months she served the creature - both as beast and when it took the form of a man.  Finally, having stolen as many riches as it could find, it departed with barely a word.  Aella was abandoned pregnant on a remote peak; she took weeks returning to her village and never fully recovered, dying during Aesa's childhood. 

The clan accepted the child as they had accepted Aella's sacrifice: stoically and honorably.  Not compassionately.  The girl was too different, too full of rage, anger, and destructive magic.  For her part, Aesa wished little to do with the near strangers who had left her mother to her death.  She took their courtesy as her due, devoured the knowledge of their library and minor talents, apprenticed with craftsmen and prepared for the day she would seek revenge. 

With little more than her magic, clothes, and a sword she secretly crafted herself, Aesa set out to find her father Ciamar and devour his heart.  She quickly came to realize how kind the elves had been.  In time, she would even come to think fondly of the home she'd exiled herself from, where no one reviled her eyes or grew terrified of a simple cantrip.  Where no one turned to violence against the outsider.  Aesa soon learned to use the fear for protection: to intimidate or manipulate those who would otherwise turn against her, to keep them cowed for their own safety.  It was a surprisingly easy lesson. 

She has spent the intervening years pursuing her quest, chasing rumors of a massive, scarred red dragon across the land and beyond the sea, burning anyone - and anything - that dared to stand in her way. 

TheGlyphstone

Rebuilt Eldon slightly to pick up Hide In Plain Sight with a Shadowdancer dip. He's not technically as fantastic a sniper anymore (though he can still hit something out to 720ft. at no penalty, further than he can actually see a target with Perception), but he's much more stealthy.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: yaracyrrah on March 19, 2015, 10:22:21 AM
A first draft:

Thiora
Far to the northwest, separated by a dangerous wilderness from the realms of men, lies the domain of the legendary Amazons, the daughters of the goddess Aete.  It is said that even the least of the Amazons is stronger and faster than any mortal man.  It is said that they hunt for sport both the fiercest beasts and the hobgoblin nomads of the steppes.  And it is said that even the Amazons themselves revere the prowess of the warrior Thiora.

All of these things are true.

Thus, in time it came to pass that Thiora grew bored with the slaying of beasts and hobgoblins, and asked permission of her goddess to leave her homeland and seek new challenges in the world of men.  Aete granted her wish, and blessed her champion with even greater power, that men should witness the greatness of the goddess and her people.  Thus the mightiest of the Amazons came to the lands of men.

Already Thiora's deeds are becoming legend.  When she was ambushed by brigands, she slew a dozen men without shedding a single drop of her own blood.  When she heard of a marauding river beast whose scales were tougher than steel, she went and slew it with a single blow of her bare hand, and made armor of its hide.  In another village whose oxen were all slain by a plague, she drew plows for three days and nights without rest to allow the fields to be sown at the proper time.

None of these feats, however, even began to test the mettle of the champion of the Amazons.  Thus she has come to the great city of Ampolion, drawn by the news that King Therus has summoned the greatest heroes of the land to attempt a seemingly impossible task.  Perhaps this will finally allow Thiora to prove that the daughters of Aete are even mightier than the legends say.

I've tentatively built Thiora as human, but if I may be so bold, I propose the following crunch for added awesomeness:

Custom Race: Amazon (7RP)

( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races )
Abilities: Flexible: +2 to any two ability scores (2RP)
Languages: Standard (0RP) (Common and Amazon [which might be a dialect of Celestial])
Traits:
*Advanced Strength: +2 S (4RP)
*Sprinter: +10 speed when running/charging (1RP)

Your amazon custom race is okay. They're basically just a variety of human, and they are very cool and will now be a standard race in this setting, and Aete will now be added to the pantheon as a demigod. All characters thus far look awesome too - i'm writing the info about the dark gods now.

eternaldarkness

Alrighty! Since interest is pretty well established, i'll make an OOC thread in ESG and link it here shortly, with all the campaign info compiled in the first post. Start thinking/talking about any connections your characters may have to eachother. And also, we may have a Co-GM!

Rhynarion

It seems like I am late to the party, but is there room for a melee stalker based on the Steel Serpent and Veiled Moon disciplines?

Failing that, a Psion Telepath or a Wilder Pirate Captain?

I hope it is not too late, because finding people willing to do PoW is obscenely difficult.

TheGlyphstone

We be Stalkin' all up in this place!

I think that is 3 Stalkers so far and a Warlord suggested so far. Surprised no one wants to be a Warder, just for the novelty of effective tanking.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 19, 2015, 09:26:08 PM
It seems like I am late to the party, but is there room for a melee stalker based on the Steel Serpent and Veiled Moon disciplines?

Failing that, a Psion Telepath or a Wilder Pirate Captain?

I hope it is not too late, because finding people willing to do PoW is obscenely difficult.

Keep your eye on this, and feel free to follow the game when I put the OOC threadup. If I get my Co-GM, i'll start a second group that will be based out of the capital city. Knight-King Kaine is not the type to sit back while other people do all the hard work, after all.

TheGlyphstone

If variant races are okay, would you object to a quick alteration of the default Halfling race for this setting, giving them +10ft. speed boost instead of the Fearless save bonus? It's a net +0 change in RP, and somehow feels very fitting; in a world this crazy and mythic and full of monsters, being able to outrun danger seems like it'd be a lot better as a survival trait than not being scared of it.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 19, 2015, 09:55:17 PM
If variant races are okay, would you object to a quick alteration of the default Halfling race for this setting, giving them +10ft. speed boost instead of the Fearless save bonus? It's a net +0 change in RP, and somehow feels very fitting; in a world this crazy and mythic and full of monsters, being able to outrun danger seems like it'd be a lot better as a survival trait than not being scared of it.

I should have said - feel free to modify races up to 13 RP if you so desire, and that goes for everyone. As for why you're better than other members of your race - you're heroes, and probably descended from a deity or two somewhere in your ancestry. Or maybe you're just that awesome.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 19, 2015, 10:12:23 PM
I should have said - feel free to modify races up to 13 RP if you so desire, and that goes for everyone. As for why you're better than other members of your race - you're heroes, and probably descended from a deity or two somewhere in your ancestry. Or maybe you're just that awesome.

...Well heck then. Time to go make myself an Uberhalfling. :D

As for how/why - his Extreme Training at the Acolyte of the Arrow monastery upped his badass level. It worked for Batman, after all, and Eldon is basically Batman crossed with Orpheus, if Batman used arrows instead of batarangs.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 19, 2015, 10:16:08 PM
...Well heck then. Time to go make myself an Uberhalfling. :D

As for how/why - his Extreme Training at the Acolyte of the Arrow monastery upped his badass level. It worked for Batman, after all, and Eldon is basically Batman crossed with Orpheus, maybe a bit of Green Arrow thrown in.

I wish I had another hand so I could give this three thumbs up. And i'll tell you guys why i'm erring on the side of letting you all be insanely powerful: I plan on there being a great deal of action in this game, and it has been my experience that powerful PC's get through mechanics-heavy sections of a game much faster in PbP by virtue of having numerous ways to solve a problem decisively. Overwhelming amounts of damage, massive skill bonus, special abilities - these things speed up combat, exploration, and everything else immensely. A lot of your enemies and the challenges I set up will be designed so that there is one specific way to end the challenge instantly if you figure it out, and monsters will generally be hard-hitting but comparatively fragile. I'll use a lot of mobs of weaker enemies, because how does one show that you are a total badass except by chewing through lesser opponents like a jedi mowing down stormtroopers? Also, players with PC's who are tough enough to stand up to some serious harm are more likely to take daring and potentially dangerous actions just because they're cool as hell.

TheGlyphstone

Logical. Okay, so if I did the math right, here is The Goddamn BatmanHalfling:

Small Size (0 RP)
Normal Speed (0 RP)
Standard Language (0 RP) - Common, Halfling
Advanced Ability Scores (4 RP) +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, -2 Cha
Lucky, Lesser (2 RP)
Swift as Shadows (3 RP)
Bonus Feat: Dodge (2 RP)
Bonus Feat: Mobility (2 RP)

Total: 13 RP, and who the hell do you think he is?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 19, 2015, 10:56:32 PM
Logical. Okay, so if I did the math right, here is The Goddamn BatmanHalfling:

Small Size (0 RP)
Normal Speed (0 RP)
Standard Language (0 RP) - Common, Halfling
Advanced Ability Scores (4 RP) +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, -2 Cha
Lucky, Lesser (2 RP)
Swift as Shadows (3 RP)
Bonus Feat: Dodge (2 RP)
Bonus Feat: Mobility (2 RP)

Total: 13 RP, and who the hell do you think he is?

The Goddamn batman, that's who.

yaracyrrah

You Batman. I Superwoman :D .  Or would DR 10/magic (6RP) be too awesome for the Chosen of Aete?  It wouldn't be worth much against fantastic beasts, of course, but hopefully it would help Thiora mow through those hordes of mooks with reckless abandon.  I could go with Fast Healing 1 instead, but that's not nearly as awesome, even though it might be a better strategic option overall.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: yaracyrrah on March 19, 2015, 11:01:28 PM
You Batman. I Superwoman :D .  Or would DR 10/magic (6RP) be too awesome for the Chosen of Aete?  It wouldn't be worth much against fantastic beasts, of course, but hopefully it would help Thiora mow through those hordes of mooks with reckless abandon.  I could go with Fast Healing 1 instead, but that's not nearly as awesome, even though it might be a better strategic option overall.

nah, it's fine. Give me a story for why she has steely flesh.

TheGlyphstone

Blessing from her demigod patron?

Literal buns of steel?

eBadger

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 19, 2015, 11:59:05 PM
Literal buns of steel?

No butt play for you!  Ouch. 

Tweaked Aesa's racials around because hey, why not, and the options are endless and I could spend another night playing with them. 

Outsider 3
Immunity Fire 4
Resist 5 cold 1
Elven Weapon Fam 2
Skill Training 1
Elemental Affinity 1
Fast 1

Couldn't swing wings or being an actual dragon, and not sure I wanted scales.  But apparently daddy is all about fire.  Amusingly, if she ever does catch up with him, mutual fire immunity will likely make for a pretty feeble battle, so will have to give that a think.  Perhaps that's why she's hanging out with you lot?  ;)

yaracyrrah

<< Blessing from her demigod patron? >>

Exactly.  It's the special blessing Aete gave her when she allowed/sent her out into the wider world.

<< No butt play for you! >>

For me that's a feature not a bug :p .

<< mutual fire immunity will likely make for a pretty feeble battle >>

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/elemental-spell-metamagic ?

yaracyrrah

Question about magical items.  In normal PF games, magical equipment is intentionally very piecemeal: you have half a dozen separate pieces of (e.g.) +1 equipment; combining multiple functions into a single item costs extra.  That's not wrong, but it doesn't exactly fit a world in which magic is rare and awesome.  With my tinkering hat on, I wonder if it might be more appropriate to replace the normal gp allowance for equipment with a rule that each character gets one offensive item of (say) +4 total bonus (potentially including special qualities per the usual rules), one defensive item ditto, and maybe one or two miscellaneous items (or perhaps just a reduced gp budget to buy cool toys).  What sayeth the Boss?

Meanwhile I'm working on fluff for Aete and the Amazons :) .

TheGlyphstone

Actually....that brings something to mind that I could propose to fit exactly that dichotomy, as another option for The Boss. In another PbP game here on E, we've been using a customized 'balanced WBL' rules variant written by Ghostwheel.

http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Balanced_Wealth_%283.5e_Variant_Rule%29

Its basic gist is to automate the +Stat items, the +Enhancement weapons and armor, and all the other finicky little bonuses that the game expects you to collect piecemeal to match up numbers-wise as a direct function of character level; at, say, level 6, your sheer raw awesomeness ensures that your otherwise mundane equipment is imbued with the appropriate bonuses for a Level 6 character based on the chart. That frees up a small allotment of 'free slots' for magic items that do cool things rather than eat up your body slots with static buffs. It feels appropriate, and I'm sure Ghostwheel would appreciate more playtesting of the system.

eBadger

Interesting alternative system.  I do like the idea of a couple items that will level up with you (so the family heirloom sword you started with at Level One can still help define your character) but I also rather enjoy my usual motley assortment of magical debris.  I'll give up stats for interesting abilities any day :) 

yaracyrrah

That's an excellent idea rather poorly executed.  I can fix 98.62% of the problem in two simple rules.

(1) Every character receives a +1 bonus to all d20 rolls, base AC, CMB/CMD, and maybe damage rolls, at L3, L7, L11, L15, and L19.  These bonuses stack with each other and all other bonuses.

(2) Every character's primary ability score increases by 1 at every even level.  The normal every-4th-level ability increases can only be applied to scores other than the primary.

Everything else is just epicycles.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: yaracyrrah on March 20, 2015, 02:24:18 PM
That's an excellent idea rather poorly executed.  I can fix 98.62% of the problem in two simple rules.

(1) Every character receives a +1 bonus to all d20 rolls, base AC, CMB/CMD, and maybe damage rolls, at L3, L7, L11, L15, and L19.  These bonuses stack with each other and all other bonuses.

(2) Every character's primary ability score increases by 1 at every even level.  The normal every-4th-level ability increases can only be applied to scores other than the primary.

Everything else is just epicycles.

That doesn't actually fix anything, though, but does make it more boring. Especially in Pathfinder, where 'dead levels' are poisonous. Staggering the bonuses means something gets better at every single level, making it a continual progression of improvement.

yaracyrrah

Well, I'm sure you have more experience with Pathfinder than I do.  On the other hand, I learned GMing from systems that leave a lot of balance issues to the GM's and group's discretion rather than making them matters of law, so I don't agree that the differences between my proposal and the chart represent a serious problem.  If I were GMing, my proposal would work fine.  If our current GM would prefer the more complicated system, that too would work fine.

TheGlyphstone

I'm just not sure what you think your fix is actually fixing. Complexity, fiddly numbers, and hard rules for stuff is just part of 3.x; the BWBL system isn't intended to reduce complexity so much as automate it by baking in the buffs that characters need to stay competitive against monsters as they level up, so that everyone gets the same amount of 'cool stuff' items instead of the status quo situation of warrior-archetypes needing to invest a larger portion of their total wealth into static gear compared to spellcaster-archetypes.

Hacking 3.x/this subsystem to be simpler - your proposal - is like waterproofing your car, making it bouyant, and strapping a motor to the back. You can do it, and it'll be functional, but you're better off just buying a boat. Similarly, if you were GMing, I'd strongly advise you to just use one of those different systems in the first place rather than squash 3.x or PF into their design space.

yaracyrrah

Aete and the Amazons, second draft
Aete is among the many children of Teio and Melfia.  Fiercely independent, she grew to adolescence as soon as she was born and promptly set out on her own.  A number of the world's notable geological features (for example, several unusual arrangments of very large rocks) can be attributed to her youthful play.  She patronized and even accompanied (in mortal guise) a number of legendary heroes, but as she observed the world's various cultures, her innate disinterest in men turned to active distaste. Thus she created her Amazons, and claimed a distant wilderness for their domain.  She continues to listen for and answer prayers from free-spirited and adventurous females of all races and cultures, but she devotes most of her attention to her own people and her other private games.

Amazon Racial Traits:
Abilities: Advanced: +2 S,D,Co, +4 Ch, -2 W (4RP).  Amazons are physically superior to normal humans.  Their prowess and overwhelming self-assurance frequently inspire awe in allies and foes alike, but also breed overconfidence and disrespect for lesser races.
Traits:
*Fast: +10' move (1RP)
*Stubborn: +2 vs charms and compulsions, and retry after 1 round (2RP)
=7RP

Amazons are asexual (as is Aete herself) and sterile; young Amazons are created directly by Aete as necessary to maintain a stable population.  The natural lifespan of an Amazon is 350-400 years.  The Amazons are governed, lightly, by the priests of Aete through the most capable and successful warriors.  Males are not forbidden in the Amazon lands, but neither are they welcome.  Non-Amazon females are viewed with suspicion unless they are worshipers of Aete who have made pilgrimage to petition the goddess to become Amazons themselves.  Most such petitions are granted.

Amazons generally stand between 5'8" and 6'6" tall (66+2d6 inches), and weigh between 160 and 240 pounds (140+20d6).

yaracyrrah

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 20, 2015, 03:30:05 PMif you were GMing, I'd strongly advise you to just use one of those different systems in the first place rather than squash 3.x or PF into their design space.

Indeed, that is exactly why I did not volunteer to co-GM this game.

eBadger

Looking back over the thread, this is what I see so far, not including interest-only comments:

TheGlyphStoneEldonHalfling Stalker
eBadgerAesaElven/Outsider Arcanist
yaracyrrahThioraAmazon (no sheet, not sure what class)

...so we definitely still need some people.  eternal, may I humbly suggest you edit the first post with all the character creation details and change the heading to "Recruiting"? 

eternaldarkness

Quote from: eBadger on March 21, 2015, 12:57:13 AM
Looking back over the thread, this is what I see so far, not including interest-only comments:

TheGlyphStoneEldonHalfling Stalker
eBadgerAesaElven/Outsider Arcanist
yaracyrrahThioraAmazon (no sheet, not sure what class)

...so we definitely still need some people.  eternal, may I humbly suggest you edit the first post with all the character creation details and change the heading to "Recruiting"?

Yep, this is a good suggestion. Sorry i've been so thin on new content lately, it was a long workday and my brain was fried, but i'm finishing up some setting details now.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 21, 2015, 01:30:32 AM
Yep, this is a good suggestion. Sorry i've been so thin on new content lately, it was a long workday and my brain was fried, but i'm finishing up some setting details now.

Any thoughts on the innate WBL variant I proposed? If you plan on showering us with gold and treasure anyways, it's not really needed, and a primarily martial party is going to all have roughly the same gear requirements. But it's worked out great so far in the other games I've played with it in.

yaracyrrah

Thiora is a Warlord (Steelfist Commando).  I can post a draft of her sheet if folks want to see it, but I'm still waffling over some finishing touches, and of course awaiting a ruling on equipment.

eternaldarkness

Don't worry about magical gear just yet; buy mundane gear, up to 5,000 Gp worth. Magical items are super-rare in the setting, but don't worry you'll get the magical bonuses you need in short order.

The capital city is Invictia, and you will all have come along with countless other would-be heroes to answer the kings call for brave souls willing to go on a dangerous quest on his behalf. This is beyond a doubt the most powerful kingdom ever to have existed, with armies that rule much of the known world and counts many other smaller kingdoms as satrapies or allies. The game will start the night before you are to have an audience with the king. You'll all be at the Golden Bull tavern, a normally very exclusive establishment in the garden district that has been opened to the general public along with the garden district itself at the king's command.

TheGlyphstone

5000 gold worth of mundane items? Well, time to go find some absurdly expensive special materials.

yaracyrrah

Thiora
Thiora, CG Amazon female Warlord (Steelfist Commando) 6 (23,000 XP)
S 20*, D 16, Co 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18
AC 21 (touch 16, ff 15), HD 6d10+12, Hp 72, Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +5/+7
Init +4, BAB +6, CMB +13, CMD 29
Weapons:
*Unarmed: Attack +13/+8, Dmg 1d6+6 (20/x2) (+2 with BB maneuvers)
*Amazon greatbow: +10/+5, Dmg 1d8+5 (20/x3)

Amazon Racial Abilities: +2 S,D,Co, +4 Ch, -2 W; +10' move; +2 and retry vs charms and compulsions
Chosen of Aete: DR 10/magic

Class Abilities: +2 dodge; while in a stance, +1 atk, +1 dmg, +2 CMB/CMD, +[Ch] stealth

Traits: Acrobat (+1 Acrobatics, +3 to Climb quickly), Bloody-Minded (+1 Init, +1 Intimidate)

Feats: Skill Focus: Acrobatics (1st), Improved Unarmed Strike*, Weapon Focus: Unarmed (3rd), Greater Unarmed Strike* (3rd), Precise Strike* (3rd), Dodge (5th), Power Attack (6th)

Skills (24): Acrobatics 6 (+16), Climb 1 (+9), Intimidate 6 (+14), Perception 1 (+3), Sense Motive 1 (+3), Stealth 1 (+11), Survival 1 (+3), Swim 1 (+9), 6 open

Items: Amazon greatbow (masterwork, mighty 5); fantastic beasthide "shirt" (+5/-0)

Gambits (3): Acrobatic Gambit, Unbreakable Gambit, Victory Gambit

Maneuvers Known (9): Encouraging Roar (B, GL1), Flurry Strike (BB1), Offensive Roll (TD1), Pommel Bash (BB1), Shards of Iron Strike (BB1), Bronze Knuckle (B, BB2), Knuckle to the Blade (BB2), Kill the Wounded (GL3), Steel Flurry Strike (BB3)

Stances Known (3): Pugilist Stance, Iron Hand Stance, Broken Blade Stance

eternaldarkness

Also, everyone please include a wish list of items you'd like to have somewhere on your character sheets.

TheGlyphstone

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2015, 08:11:23 PM
Price cap? Or do we just shoot for the moon here?

No price cap, though don't feel the need to go crazy. Special materials are fine, and you'll want to think about what your character might have needed up until this point. If you killed werewolves in your background, for example, you probably need a silver weapon.

eBadger

rotburn

Bwahaha~
This is great.
All this information is making my head swirl.
This really is something like EPIC fantasy :P

eternaldarkness

MrBubbles

Working on a Warder (Zweihander Sentinel), I'll probably get the mechanics done sometime tonight but the fluff will take a bit longer.

TheGlyphstone

Should we include the essentials like magical weapons/armor, stat-boost items, save-boosting items, etc. in our wish list? Or are you primarily interested in the specialty stuff?

Rhynarion

I'm back!

Since it seems like there are only three sheets up and no Wilder yet made, I would like to toss my name in for a Wilder 6 (Blasting Archetype)

My sheet isn't done yet, namely because I have a few questions.

Arkhamir VanRooke
Pale moonlight filtered through the breaks in the port skyline, washing over largely vacant streets. Much of the daily bustle died down by this hour, only a few rounnd-the-clock workers still moving cargo on the piers. Small puddles of rainwater collected in the side-alleys, murky from the treading of uncounted footsteps. A scattered dozen men roamed the streets without purpose, dour expressions ranging from dazed to utterly drunk.A pair of ruffians hid amongest these lost souls, waiting in restless anticipation for unsuspecting prey to come along the road leading to the wealthier section.

The air thickened without apparent cause, growing heavy with withheld breath. The few men still self aware made signs of warding against magic, ineffectual fallacies that hardly balked true evocations. A tall figure rounded the corner seeming on cue, leaping forward with every merry step. Baggy clothes hid his build on the gloomy night, though the rich crimson fabric spoke of apparent wealth. A wide-brim felt hat obscured his face from a distance, clearly picked to accent the outfit. The pair picked him out instantly, only pausing once when they noticed the crocodile following the man - refuted as a threat when a shaft of moonlight revealed it to be but the size of a small dog.

Arkhamir brushed the ruffled sleeves of his shirt, idly plucking at the gold embroiderings of his shirt. He didn't want a spec out of place this evening, far too much fun planned for him to ruin it. He chuckled wildly to himself with glee, positively glowing from his amusement. He never noticed the ruffians as they closed in, lost to his own world until he staggered from a pair of forceful hands on his swinging arms.

Confusion gnitted on his smooth features, overtaking his mirth. Tock scurried between his legs in rapid figure eights, making gurgling squawks to proclaim his distress. The third ruffian hurried around to Ark's front and began frisking him in search of coin, grimy hair concealing beady eyes and a lip split too many times to heal properly. Realization spread across Ark's features now that his daydream crashed to an end, and he shook his arms with surprising strength.

"I have quite little time for this. Unhand me at once!" His voice split the air, flowing from hushed babble to a roar.

The brawnier thug shook him roughly, causing his compatriot to curse and fumble the coin pouch he nearly palmed. "Shut your yapper!" He proclaimed, still shaking Arkhamir.

"Would you hold him still!" The smaller thief all but sputtered, eyes furtively glancing over his shoulder. Someone would surely call the watch if this commotion came up. Thinking quickly, he seized Ark's chin in his palm and pulled him level to his gaze. "Look. We just want your money, ain't no need for trouble."

To his credit, Arkhamir appeared entirely unfrightened; he leveled his attention much more on the man's grimy fingers and unkempt fingernails, expression dry but gaze never rising to meet the ruffian's. He shook his head free with an indignant huff, before laughing recklessly at the two of them. His viole eyes began to gleam in the dark night, swirling with mystifying flames. "I think you have made a mistake. I gave you your warning, though."

The scoundrel before him blinked in confusion, admittedly stunned that this man seemed to think he remained in control of the situation. When Arkhamir's laughter continued with no end in sight, he balled his hand into a fist and reared it back - only to hear his partner laughing along with their prey. A puzzled look crossed his features for a tick, but soon he felt a surge of giddiness rushing through his body.

Though he tried valiantly to avoid the fate of his brother, he failed to hold back the floodgates and soon became wracked with a fit of giggling to express his utter joy. He stumbled backward from Arkhamir, tripping over the squawking croc and falling to the hard ground. The stinging pain jolted him enough to realize their folly, the captors now turned prey by the grip of this man's strange laughter.

Arkhamir's laughter died down after a few minutes, and he cleaned off his face with a hidden hankerchief. A glance toward the skyline told him he was not yet late, and so he turned to the chucklestruck pair with his original expression of joy. "I recommend finding honest work, boys. The thug life is a risky buisness, never know what you might run into."

Salted tears streamed down the brothers cheeks as Arkhamir leaned down, though their enforced joy left no room for fear. The enigmatic man dropped a gold dubloon in each of the pockets, patting them on the head with a frighteningly bright smile. "You have honor, and I respect that. So enjoy a few days fortune, and do heed my advice."

He stepped over the larger scoundrel and continued on his way, clicking his tongue once to bring Tock back in line. The tiny crocodile kept pace with him easily, waddling steps offering a whimsical air to what otherwise remained a fearsome creature. He whistled a jolly tune as he left the street, a streetlamp revealing his lupine shadow for a few seconds.

He arrived at his destination with a few minutes to spare, glad that he bribed a local to show him some of the secret routes while the sun still shined. Fluffing his attire to some measure of regality, he walked up to the high-class lounge only to be immediately halted when he attempted to cross the entrance threshold.

The bouncer shoved Arkhamir backward, appearing entirely displeased. "We don't serve you-."

"I have an invitation! Now if you will excuse me..." He reached into his vest and procured the gaudy sheaf of paper, handing it to the burly man and stepping past him.

The bouncer squinted at the page, delicately pulling a pair of reading glasses from his suit pocket. He placed them on his brow, taking a moment to adjust them with his meaty fingers. Sure enough, everything checked out. Something off about the man tickled his brain, and he turned to stop him one final time.

Arkhamir sighed dramatically as he heard the man shift, whirling with a flourished spin and pulling his signature hat from his brow. He crickled the hat against his chest, shaking his head sadly from side to side. "I know that invitation is good. So please don't hold me up any more? The show is about to begin!" His violet eyes flashed in the dim hallway, gaze spellbindingly potent.

"Umm... Err... It's nothing, go ahead." The bouncer slurred his words, thoughts tainted by a fog of confusion. Another pair approached as he struggled to grasp his original thoughts, forcing him to leave Arkhamir to be someone elses problem. All the befuddlement caused him to allow the croc to follow his master without pause, something sure to earn him a demerit if his snooty employers found out.

Above is a snippet of the character, though it was written in free writing before I decided to sit down for this epic game of pathfinder. The idea was that he has no emotional dial, in that he feels everything intensely - his power being the ability to enforce these manic emotions in others. I have included a my questions in a second spoiler because I got long winded.

Questions
-There is no pathfinder power to mimic the effects of Hideous Laughter and I find it to be an iconic thing to Ark, making people laugh (to death) intead of being all scary, dark, and edgy. Could we make one, preferably with augments to achieve the full effects shown in the snippet? Hopefully a power that can be taken at first level (or as a talent) but doesn't get to really frightening points until 6th ((7-10)(12th or more if it must, would take anything conceivably reachable in the course of the game.) manifester level. I am Blasting archetype and can't surge blast to kill people with laughter early on. At the very least I would love to simply be able to mimic Hideous Laughter, minus the +4 because it is a compulsion and not a joke being told.

-You said that all Dreamscarred was available so may I take Blasting Archetype? I was looking at Free Surge with Warping as my back up.
-Will using my 13 powers known to shore up the idea that Arkhamir messes with peoples emotions harm the party at all? I know it is a low magic game.

-Does the adjustment of 13 race points to say human mean that I can take the base (9) and add 13 points of mods, or the total points must equal 13 when I am finished modding? Not looking to powergame, first time playing pathfinder and only my DM friend has been helping me with putting my sheet together.

-Would the child of an unknown entity and a witch/gypsy fall under human or Tiefling? I ask because base Tiefling is very demonic oriented and Ark is more of a strange not-were shifter creature. (His base/alt form is not shown in the snip but it is your commonly seen biped werewolf.) He is at worse a half-breed were but more likely a strange hybrid that happens to look like a were (he isn't bound to the moon, as an example. Also doesnt have/transfer the curse). I would like to avoid taking Sorc/Witch dips because EUPHORIC MIND BLASTS is much truer to his theme and personality. Not getting the beautiful capstone of Blast Wilder is just sad.

-Is the runt Crocodile / Runtier Dwarf Camain possible within the rules? I was told by my friend that the animal could simply be bought and kept close through handle animal checks? As DM, do you write for animal companions/minor animal tag-alongs or is that up to the player? I am told each DM does that differently. Is there a way to have Tock take a slightly more active role than your average animal (but not flank as druid companions do or do things of that nature) without class dips? Again, first time pathfinder and hoping to better understand the rules. Bonus points for not having to make a handle animal check every round.

As a last few things, I would adore some suggestions on where to spend my race points. I would prefer not to play as a Witchwolf Shifter because of the - to all Cha-based checks in my were form being really crippling to my intended role as the party face /  being a wilder in general.

I hope I am not intruding with this.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2015, 10:15:09 PM
Should we include the essentials like magical weapons/armor, stat-boost items, save-boosting items, etc. in our wish list? Or are you primarily interested in the specialty stuff?

Don't worry about the essentials, just focus on the really special effects.

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 21, 2015, 10:15:43 PM
I'm back!

Since it seems like there are only three sheets up and no Wilder yet made, I would like to toss my name in for a Wilder 6 (Blasting Archetype)

My sheet isn't done yet, namely because I have a few questions.

Arkhamir VanRooke
Pale moonlight filtered through the breaks in the port skyline, washing over largely vacant streets. Much of the daily bustle died down by this hour, only a few rounnd-the-clock workers still moving cargo on the piers. Small puddles of rainwater collected in the side-alleys, murky from the treading of uncounted footsteps. A scattered dozen men roamed the streets without purpose, dour expressions ranging from dazed to utterly drunk.A pair of ruffians hid amongest these lost souls, waiting in restless anticipation for unsuspecting prey to come along the road leading to the wealthier section.

The air thickened without apparent cause, growing heavy with withheld breath. The few men still self aware made signs of warding against magic, ineffectual fallacies that hardly balked true evocations. A tall figure rounded the corner seeming on cue, leaping forward with every merry step. Baggy clothes hid his build on the gloomy night, though the rich crimson fabric spoke of apparent wealth. A wide-brim felt hat obscured his face from a distance, clearly picked to accent the outfit. The pair picked him out instantly, only pausing once when they noticed the crocodile following the man - refuted as a threat when a shaft of moonlight revealed it to be but the size of a small dog.

Arkhamir brushed the ruffled sleeves of his shirt, idly plucking at the gold embroiderings of his shirt. He didn't want a spec out of place this evening, far too much fun planned for him to ruin it. He chuckled wildly to himself with glee, positively glowing from his amusement. He never noticed the ruffians as they closed in, lost to his own world until he staggered from a pair of forceful hands on his swinging arms.

Confusion gnitted on his smooth features, overtaking his mirth. Tock scurried between his legs in rapid figure eights, making gurgling squawks to proclaim his distress. The third ruffian hurried around to Ark's front and began frisking him in search of coin, grimy hair concealing beady eyes and a lip split too many times to heal properly. Realization spread across Ark's features now that his daydream crashed to an end, and he shook his arms with surprising strength.

"I have quite little time for this. Unhand me at once!" His voice split the air, flowing from hushed babble to a roar.

The brawnier thug shook him roughly, causing his compatriot to curse and fumble the coin pouch he nearly palmed. "Shut your yapper!" He proclaimed, still shaking Arkhamir.

"Would you hold him still!" The smaller thief all but sputtered, eyes furtively glancing over his shoulder. Someone would surely call the watch if this commotion came up. Thinking quickly, he seized Ark's chin in his palm and pulled him level to his gaze. "Look. We just want your money, ain't no need for trouble."

To his credit, Arkhamir appeared entirely unfrightened; he leveled his attention much more on the man's grimy fingers and unkempt fingernails, expression dry but gaze never rising to meet the ruffian's. He shook his head free with an indignant huff, before laughing recklessly at the two of them. His viole eyes began to gleam in the dark night, swirling with mystifying flames. "I think you have made a mistake. I gave you your warning, though."

The scoundrel before him blinked in confusion, admittedly stunned that this man seemed to think he remained in control of the situation. When Arkhamir's laughter continued with no end in sight, he balled his hand into a fist and reared it back - only to hear his partner laughing along with their prey. A puzzled look crossed his features for a tick, but soon he felt a surge of giddiness rushing through his body.

Though he tried valiantly to avoid the fate of his brother, he failed to hold back the floodgates and soon became wracked with a fit of giggling to express his utter joy. He stumbled backward from Arkhamir, tripping over the squawking croc and falling to the hard ground. The stinging pain jolted him enough to realize their folly, the captors now turned prey by the grip of this man's strange laughter.

Arkhamir's laughter died down after a few minutes, and he cleaned off his face with a hidden hankerchief. A glance toward the skyline told him he was not yet late, and so he turned to the chucklestruck pair with his original expression of joy. "I recommend finding honest work, boys. The thug life is a risky buisness, never know what you might run into."

Salted tears streamed down the brothers cheeks as Arkhamir leaned down, though their enforced joy left no room for fear. The enigmatic man dropped a gold dubloon in each of the pockets, patting them on the head with a frighteningly bright smile. "You have honor, and I respect that. So enjoy a few days fortune, and do heed my advice."

He stepped over the larger scoundrel and continued on his way, clicking his tongue once to bring Tock back in line. The tiny crocodile kept pace with him easily, waddling steps offering a whimsical air to what otherwise remained a fearsome creature. He whistled a jolly tune as he left the street, a streetlamp revealing his lupine shadow for a few seconds.

He arrived at his destination with a few minutes to spare, glad that he bribed a local to show him some of the secret routes while the sun still shined. Fluffing his attire to some measure of regality, he walked up to the high-class lounge only to be immediately halted when he attempted to cross the entrance threshold.

The bouncer shoved Arkhamir backward, appearing entirely displeased. "We don't serve you-."

"I have an invitation! Now if you will excuse me..." He reached into his vest and procured the gaudy sheaf of paper, handing it to the burly man and stepping past him.

The bouncer squinted at the page, delicately pulling a pair of reading glasses from his suit pocket. He placed them on his brow, taking a moment to adjust them with his meaty fingers. Sure enough, everything checked out. Something off about the man tickled his brain, and he turned to stop him one final time.

Arkhamir sighed dramatically as he heard the man shift, whirling with a flourished spin and pulling his signature hat from his brow. He crickled the hat against his chest, shaking his head sadly from side to side. "I know that invitation is good. So please don't hold me up any more? The show is about to begin!" His violet eyes flashed in the dim hallway, gaze spellbindingly potent.

"Umm... Err... It's nothing, go ahead." The bouncer slurred his words, thoughts tainted by a fog of confusion. Another pair approached as he struggled to grasp his original thoughts, forcing him to leave Arkhamir to be someone elses problem. All the befuddlement caused him to allow the croc to follow his master without pause, something sure to earn him a demerit if his snooty employers found out.

Above is a snippet of the character, though it was written in free writing before I decided to sit down for this epic game of pathfinder. The idea was that he has no emotional dial, in that he feels everything intensely - his power being the ability to enforce these manic emotions in others. I have included a my questions in a second spoiler because I got long winded.

Questions
-There is no pathfinder power to mimic the effects of Hideous Laughter and I find it to be an iconic thing to Ark, making people laugh (to death) intead of being all scary, dark, and edgy. Could we make one, preferably with augments to achieve the full effects shown in the snippet? Hopefully a power that can be taken at first level (or as a talent) but doesn't get to really frightening points until 6th ((7-10)(12th or more if it must, would take anything conceivably reachable in the course of the game.) manifester level. I am Blasting archetype and can't surge blast to kill people with laughter early on. At the very least I would love to simply be able to mimic Hideous Laughter, minus the +4 because it is a compulsion and not a joke being told.

-You said that all Dreamscarred was available so may I take Blasting Archetype? I was looking at Free Surge with Warping as my back up.
-Will using my 13 powers known to shore up the idea that Arkhamir messes with peoples emotions harm the party at all? I know it is a low magic game.

-Does the adjustment of 13 race points to say human mean that I can take the base (9) and add 13 points of mods, or the total points muse equal 13 when I am finished modding? Not looking to powergame, first time playing pathfinder and only my DM friend has been helping me with putting my sheet together.

-Would the child of an unknown entity and a witch/gypsy fall under human or Tiefling? I ask because base Tiefling is very demonic oriented and Ark is more of a strange not-were shifter creature. (His base/alt form is not shown in the snip but it is your commonly seen biped werewolf.) He is at worse a half-breed were but more likely a strange hybrid that happens to look like a were (he isn't bound to the moon, as an example. Also doesnt transfer the curse). I would like to avoid taking Sorc/Witch dips because EUPHORIC MIND BLASTS is much truer to his theme and personality. Not getting the beautiful capstone of Blast Wilder is just sad.

-Is the runt Crocodile / Runtier Dwarf Camain possible within the rules? I was told by my friend that the animal could simply be bought and kept close through handle animal checks? As DM, do you write for animal companions/minor animal tag-alongs or is that up to the player? I am told each DM does that differently. Is there a way to have Tock take a slightly more active role than your average animal (but not flank as druid companions do or do things of that nature) without class dips? Again, first time pathfinder and hoping to better understand the rules. Bonus points for not having to make a handle animal check every round.

As a last few things, I would adore some suggestions on where to spend my race points. I would prefer not to play as a Witchwolf Shifter because of the - to all Cha-based checks in my were form being really crippling to my intended role as the party face /  being a wilder in general.

I hope I am not intruding with this.

We can come up with a psionic equivalent for hideous laughter pretty easily, and as for the blaster archtype it's fine. For your pet, it'd just be a pet that you train like any normal use of handle animal, and it will act per its training or instincts in all instances even without handle animal checks. checks are only necessary when you want it to do something specific.

Your race should be 13 points total, and if you need to you can build one from scratch to get what you want.  I like your character concept so far - it's up to you how his heritage manifests mechanically.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: rotburn on March 21, 2015, 08:23:06 PM
Bwahaha~
This is great.
All this information is making my head swirl.
This really is something like EPIC fantasy :P

I try to strike a balance between 'enough information' and 'so much stuff pre-defined that the players can't add anything new without contradicting established setting elements'. And yes, I am aiming for truly epic characters and stories. As TheGlyphstone noted, i'm trying for an Exalted-level power scale.

MrBubbles

eternaldarkness

Quote from: MrBubbles on March 21, 2015, 10:45:29 PM
Do we get max health per level, average, or roll?

oh goodness, thanks for asking! Max HP for all your hit dice.

eternaldarkness

TheGlyphstone

Would there be any problems with being a worshipper of one of the Dark Gods? Vara's portfolio of Darkness, Secrets, and Love is so perfect for my character I'm actually mildly suspicious. :D

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 22, 2015, 12:12:39 AM
Would there be any problems with being a worshipper of one of the Dark Gods? Vara's portfolio of Darkness, Secrets, and Love is so perfect for my character I'm actually mildly suspicious. :D

In this setting people tend pray to whatever god you need for whatever you're trying to accomplish, regardless of who their personal patron deity is - if you're traveling and want to ensure safe arrival at your destination, you pray to Teio. if you're trying to conceal something or want to make someone fall in love with you, you pray to Vara. If you're a farmer who wants to keep savage monsters from destroying your farmstead you placate Rasmus with offering and prayer (or shout dire threats to your enemies, which makes Kruth happy) etc.

Most families have a lesser deity as a patron deity, and every city and town is consecrated to a specific deity. Clerics, paladins and other divine magic-users also select either a single patron or one of the two pantheons as a whole to be their deity of choice, and most individuals have one or two gods they tend to favor over others by personal preference or simply because that god has something to do with thir day to day activities.

eternaldarkness

Also worth nothing about the deities - lesser deities and demigods (also known as Hero Deities) are generally vassals of one of the six greater deities. Aete, for example, is a servant/vassal of both Teio and Vara, and thus one of the most powerful lesser deities, and damn close to being a full-fledged Greater Deity in her own right. All she needs is just a few more devoted worshippers giving their rites to her instead of her gaining power indirectly through her parents. Once she does reach the level of a greater deity she'll have both pantheons trying to woo her to their side.

Right now, it could go either way - Aete is very much a daddy's girl, but Vara is very persuasive too. Basically, it depends on what you guys (especially Thiora) do.

MrBubbles

Character is done!

He is a standard Human with the following changes:

Replaced Skilled with Lucky, Greater.

Replaced Human Heritage with Advanced, bringing his RP total to 13.

Are there any unique languages in this world? Stuff like regional dialects and the ilk; I've got Common and Elven as languages and still got two more to choose!

Rhynarion

If I wanted to take Constant Spell Like Divination as a psi like ability, how much would it be for Detect Hostile Intent? CSLD is 3pt, and offers choice of 3 0 lv spells and a 1level spell. DHI is 2nd level power.

I am trying to figure out how to work it that Ark is sensitive to the emanations of emotions in his vicinity, given his frequent manipulation of them.

I was going to ask about Blindsense but only ignoring perception checks and requiring line of sight didnt fit the thematic I wanted? Does line of effect ignore terrain for blindsense? If it does so does that increase its cost?

As an aside, are natural weapons like claws and bite of any use for a caster like Ark? I was under the impression that they didnt help me unless wanted to Melee. In addition to not scaling. I wondered because he does appear as a lycan war form.

Oh, and 8 or 9 feet tall is still considered medium right? (In true/monstrous form)

Chulanowa

Alright. As anyone who's seen me do pathfinder before knows, i have a terrible time deciding on characters... So I've got two ideas that i'd like some feedback on. No great detail yet, since that would need me to put a lot of elbow grease into two things, but hey, whatever.

Gnoll priestess
Idea: A priestess of either Melfia, Vara, Rasmus, or some minor god or power. Sort of a "sinister" mein, though not necessarily "evil" (think Raistlin from the War of the Lance trilogy... before DeviantArt fangirls made him a woobie.) Despite being a "caster," isn't a slouch in a fight, but does prefer to lay curses and debilitations on foes wehn possible. Has a thin veneer of "civilization" over a more primal core - doesn't actually trust civilization.

Class: Cleric, Warpriest, Oracle, or Shaman

Race: Gnoll. Standard, as-written Gnoll from ARG. Maybe some options from the Monster Codex, if there's something interesting in there (I know there's a neat Gnoll witch archetype...)

Party role: Divine support and melee combat. Skills would likely focus on Planes, Religion, or Arcana. Maybe heal, 'cause ain't nobody got time for CLW.

Relation with rest of party: Like I said, kind of "The Raistlin" of the group - aloof and maybe a little patronizing, secretive, but probably with a not-so-secret fondness for a member or two, and a genuine itnerest in the party's success.

Centaur Warrior
Idea: a former gladiator who won her freedom, and seeks to regain her heritage. Strongly opposed to slavery, indolence, and other "trappings of civilization" (noticing a theme?). Enjoys honest combat, both in the form of honest struggle, and friendly competition. Kind of a fatalist, "the gods have decided when you die; not a moment sooner or later." Secretly a softi ho likes poetry and music.

Classes: Barbarian, Bloodrager, Fighter, or Skald

Race: Centaur (either homebrew, or something from kobold press' "Midgard" setting, since default centaur are 28 RP)

Party Role: Tearing shit up. Exuberant advocate of "chaotic goodness." You probably shouldn't listen to her plans, no matter how well her charisma check does.

Relation with rest of the prty: Earnestly friendly towards people until they deserve otherwise. Then they get hurt until we can be friends again. Will likely be the last person in the group to suspect treachery becuase of this. Everyone's friend, kind of the epitome of the "big Stupid Fighter. And now I realize that I have just made Raistlin and Caramon. With tits. YAY ME!

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 22, 2015, 02:09:01 AM
Alright. As anyone who's seen me do pathfinder before knows, i have a terrible time deciding on characters... So I've got two ideas that i'd like some feedback on. No great detail yet, since that would need me to put a lot of elbow grease into two things, but hey, whatever.

Gnoll priestess
Idea: A priestess of either Melfia, Vara, Rasmus, or some minor god or power. Sort of a "sinister" mein, though not necessarily "evil" (think Raistlin from the War of the Lance trilogy... before DeviantArt fangirls made him a woobie.) Despite being a "caster," isn't a slouch in a fight, but does prefer to lay curses and debilitations on foes wehn possible. Has a thin veneer of "civilization" over a more primal core - doesn't actually trust civilization.

Class: Cleric, Warpriest, Oracle, or Shaman

Race: Gnoll. Standard, as-written Gnoll from ARG. Maybe some options from the Monster Codex, if there's something interesting in there (I know there's a neat Gnoll witch archetype...)

Party role: Divine support and melee combat. Skills would likely focus on Planes, Religion, or Arcana. Maybe heal, 'cause ain't nobody got time for CLW.

Relation with rest of party: Like I said, kind of "The Raistlin" of the group - aloof and maybe a little patronizing, secretive, but probably with a not-so-secret fondness for a member or two, and a genuine itnerest in the party's success.

Centaur Warrior
Idea: a former gladiator who won her freedom, and seeks to regain her heritage. Strongly opposed to slavery, indolence, and other "trappings of civilization" (noticing a theme?). Enjoys honest combat, both in the form of honest struggle, and friendly competition. Kind of a fatalist, "the gods have decided when you die; not a moment sooner or later." Secretly a softi ho likes poetry and music.

Classes: Barbarian, Bloodrager, Fighter, or Skald

Race: Centaur (either homebrew, or something from kobold press' "Midgard" setting, since default centaur are 28 RP)

Party Role: Tearing shit up. Exuberant advocate of "chaotic goodness." You probably shouldn't listen to her plans, no matter how well her charisma check does.

Relation with rest of the prty: Earnestly friendly towards people until they deserve otherwise. Then they get hurt until we can be friends again. Will likely be the last person in the group to suspect treachery becuase of this. Everyone's friend, kind of the epitome of the "big Stupid Fighter. And now I realize that I have just made Raistlin and Caramon. With tits. YAY ME!

I am torn. I love them both so much...the gnoll priestess is winning right now because I <3 gnolls, especially female ones. But play whichever you like.

eBadger

Woobie?

Dunno.  Healing would be nice, but I like the friendly beatstick in contrast to my already rather sinister Aesa.  Although lots of antiheroes could be fun. 

eBadger

Character sheet for rotburn; will let her post his history and description. 

Link

Ophelia's Lament
When her husband and his entire crew were lured to their death by malicious sirens, the widow Ophelia deafened herself and sought out the creatures for revenge. The strings of this lute were spun from the hair of the creatures and their pearlescent bones form an inlay of a ship being smashed between a storm and jagged rocks.  Using the instrument, Ophelia lured others of their kind into a fatal trance.  The vengeance proved empty; within a year Ophelia drowned herself to join her love. 

Whenever played, the lute can project a Silent Image - a soundless illusion of the player's creation, either to accompany the song or for more specific purposes.  Additionally, once per day the lute can cast Enthrall on anyone within 100'. 

yaracyrrah

(I've edited my item wish list in the other thread to reflect the new dicta :) .)

Rhynarion

Another quick question.

If we make our own race, are we allowed to make a race trait for it to take as one of its two? Being a psionic class and a custom race is really narrowing my options because of no psionic trait support yet.

Can we choose what our favored class bonus is on our custom races? For me, I was hoping to take the human FC bonus for Wilder (1/4th of a power known, must be one level lower than highest that I can cast). It's also used as Elan, from DSP.

Cerebrathrope

13p total

Cerebrathrope
Type: Monstrous Humanoid (3p)
Size: Medium
Language: Normal
Vision: Darkvision
(+2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Str) (0p)

Naturally Psionic: Cerebrathropes gain the Wild Talent feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. If an Cerebrathrope takes levels in a psionic class, she instead gains the Psionic Talent feat. (1p)

Change Shape, Lesser 3p

Jackal's Cackle Su, 3/Day (6p)
Range: 30ft Aura
Target: All Enemies
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates; DC 10+CharLevel+Cha Modifier

As a standard action, you begin laughing uncontrollably. When you do, enemies within 30 feet of you that can see and hear you must succeed a Will(DC10+CharLevel+Cha Modifier) saving throw or they collapse into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. It is not considered helpless, but may take no further actions for one round / level. This is a sonic, mind affecting effect.

Hoping to get some feedback on this, with how quickly sheets are coming in! I am going to post a tentative sheet on the OOC thread once I format it properly.

Edit: The lull today had be redo what I originally posted for the race sheet. I have notes from my earlier idea if this isnt completely salvageable.

rotburn

Name: Estelmist (Six Fingers)
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Bard
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Height: 6ft 1inch
Weight: 155lbs
Eye Color: Silver
Hair Color: Black

BIO
Born to a human mother and elven father, he's never met the man who gave him half his genes. Although some peasants believed him to be more of a child of a demon then an elf because of his slight deformation- having six-digits on both hands and feet. He grew up in a shack overlooking a small port village that shunned him and his mother. As time went on he noticed how strange his mother actually came across to others and her deteriorating mind being eaten away by madness. She horded odd things like animal carcasses and spoke to shadows that she swears talked back. Slowly and surely her world closed off to even him, and he had to find ways to help them both survive by stealing from the village's rations. There are times when she gains her senses back and stares at him with more horror each time while hissing harsh words: 'You look like HIM every day that passes...' - 'Don't point those eyes at me! Heathen! Accursed child! This is all your fault!' - 'If I pluck out your eyes I will never feel betrayed or so lonesome again. You are my child aren't you? I can't tell anymore.' - 'Get out of my sight!' - 'Hissaelon? Is that you? Have you finally come to take me from this place?'

And once, when he had been foolish enough to stumble forward to comfort the woman, did she wrestle him to the heath and try to burn out his eyes with hot coals using her bare hands. There are markings of tinted skin surrounding his sockets after that, giving him the nickname Coon from the villagers. Quick, nimble, little Coon thief. Unwanted and unloved. It wasn't until the unpleasant event when the fields burnt down and killed two children that the hatred came knocking. He had been acting mischievous, showing off to the pretty girls that he could do a bit of magic with his hands. Forming a fire that lit up between his fingers, dancing and alive. His peers had been so excited and happy they demanded he turn it into a different shape, a butterfly. That fire had sprouted wings at his command, but those wings brought it flapping and giving it a will of its own. The crops burst into flame with the hunger that that butterfly had, spreading and consuming. He had ran beside the others, he ran and ran and in the end found himself the only one who escaped. The crops burnt down and the villagers came to return the favor. He had been hiding of course, amongst the thickest forest bramble as he watched the slow burning of the shack and his mother's laughter from within calling out to her 'Hissaelon'.

He traveled the roads, finicky and starving. Where was one to go where no one would know your name or care? The cities. So he went, following the trails. Once there, the dingy streets and hatred only seemed to double. The cold and stench crept in and he was forced into eating things that made his stomach flip and debasing himself to where his insides sunk to new depths. It's hard to live with the same skills that the others had top. Urchins were many. Paranoia, disease, and violence became everyday occurrences.

It was good fortune, or maybe it wasn't depending on what angle one sees it from, in first that he didn't waste away and die. Then second, for the simple fact that a party of elven folk passing through took pity on him. A tall elf with long sweeping hair had noticed his slightly curved ears and startling silver eyes, had handed him a lute and told 'keep it and it will keep you'. He kept it and learned to play those strings. To pour his anger, sadness, and wretched desires into the notes that fell away. Most importantly it gave him hope, a notion that is more devious than any sin which exists. For hope brings opportunities and dreams, goals and aspirations, but never does hope guarantee any of that. The lute was stolen a month later. He ended up joining a gang to keep from being beaten on sight and was in the end bound and sold to a brothel closer to the capital.

He managed to gain his freedom a few years later by seducing a widowed woman of respectable trade. She dressed him in the finest of clothing and fed him the best meals, yet all he asked was for a blasted lute. A symbol of his haunted youth and power over his own self. He received the lute and she became his patron, much to his surprise. Several times did he play for the wealthy merchants as well as lower Lords and Ladies, until he grew bored of the tamed life. He wanted the invisible shackle weighing him down gone. Manipulating the situation to his benefit, he took to the roads again with more knowledge and determination than before. Running into several parties who drew him in with the good and the bad, he taught himself not to trust others and use them as a source of fortune for his own gain.

Since then he's picked up many names such as Six-Fingers, The Mournful Bard, Quick Silver, and Thrice Denied. The last one being more of a joke from the local single types who gossip on how charming he may be, but any attempt beyond flattery is futile. More or less it sprung from the time a egotistical Lord had thought he was female, and  had been very adamant to be proved wrong. Least to say, it didn't matter that he was male and the man who tried to woo him left with a nasty fork in their hand. Now though, names or not, he travels the trails with wagons and troupes alike to quench the thirst of throwing himself against another's blade and living afterwards only to sing the tale with his lute.

eBadger

What's the skinny on this?  I think we're up to four submitted characters now?

Rhynarion

I'm presently waiting for a confirmation that my race checks out before I can post my sheet, unless you're counting me.

Chulanowa

I've finally found time to sit down and start working on mine.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 25, 2015, 04:38:57 PM
I'm presently waiting for a confirmation that my race checks out before I can post my sheet, unless you're counting me.

Since I'm curious, how did you go about calculating the RP for that custom spell?

eBadger

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 25, 2015, 04:38:57 PM

Too much E to count anything that isn't a full character sheet and bio :) 

Rhynarion

Under Race Builder Rules, a Supernatural / Spell Like ability is (1p x Spell level)x Number of uses.

Hideous Laughter can be a 1st or 2nd level spell, so I cut the range and made it an aura using the bard level due to the fact no Mass Hideous Laughter exists, bumping it to the equivalent of a 2nd level spell.

Really, this was just the test version I mad until our DM comes back and I can get his critique on it. This is my first time doing pathfinder! I've been writing/roleplaying freeform for years but only got to do tabletops on one other occasion (a 4e game I had to bow out of years ago).

Were I the ultimate decider I would make it a 1/day psi-like, but the tricky thing about Psi-Like abilities is that they always augment for the full power they can based on your level. With True Arkhamir being able to turn his Cackle lethal, I had no idea how to split up the augments and called it a day as a Supernatural ability in a rush to finish my sheet before there are too many pirates and not enough crew - if that makes sense.

P.S. True Arkhamir refers to the original Arkhamir that I write in my private stories/roleplays, seen in the introsnippet higher on the page.

Quote from: eBadger on March 25, 2015, 06:35:39 PM
Too much E to count anything that isn't a full character sheet and bio :) 

Unfinished Sheet
Arkhamir VanRooke, CN (Cerebrathrope) Male Wilder (Blasting) 6
S 8, D 15, Co 15, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 19

AC 12 (Touch 12, ff 10), HD 6d8+12HP 60, Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 PP 40

Init +2, BAB +5 (MAB +4, RAB +7), CMB 4, CMD +16, FCMD +14

Skills (6) Acrobatis 0 (2), Bluff 6 (13), Diplomacy 6 (1), Disguise (4), Intimidate (4),

Knolwedge (Geography) 6 (9), Perception 6 (9), Profession (Sailor) 6 (4), Sense Motive 6 (9),

Powers Known

0 - Empathy

1 - Inertial Armor

Feats

1 - Skill Focus - Knowledge (Geography)

Racial Feat - Psionic Talent

Bonus Feat (Surge Bond) - Psionic Talent

Bonus Feat - Modified Blast

3 - Eldrich Heritage (Arcane)

5 - Extended Blast

Bonus Feat - Psionic Mediation

Class Abilities

Wild Surge +2 (Free Surge)

Psychic Ennervation - 6pp lost

Surging Euphoria +1

Surge Bond

Improved Surge Bond

Not sure what you mean by Too much E, but here is proof and it is ultimately up to the missing DM who makes the cut.

eBadger

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 25, 2015, 06:45:45 PM
Not sure what you mean by Too much E, but here is proof and it is ultimately up to the missing DM who makes the cut.

I mean I've been on E too long to count anything less than an actual character sheet and bio as 'submitted' in my comment.  People here tend to throw out interest posts like rice at a wedding.  And yes; the point I was making with the total was that we needed more submissions. 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 25, 2015, 06:45:45 PM
Under Race Builder Rules, a Supernatural / Spell Like ability is (1p x Spell level)x Number of uses.

Hideous Laughter can be a 1st or 2nd level spell, so I cut the range and made it an aura using the bard level due to the fact no Mass Hideous Laughter exists, bumping it to the equivalent of a 2nd level spell.

Really, this was just the test version I mad until our DM comes back and I can get his critique on it. This is my first time doing pathfinder! I've been writing/roleplaying freeform for years but only got to do tabletops on one other occasion (a 4e game I had to bow out of years ago).

Seems a bit low, honestly. Hideous Laughter is a 1st level Bard/2nd level Sorc/Wiz spell, but only +1 effective level for an AoE effect? Just looking at the Bard list - Mass Charm Monster is 3+ levels above Charm Monster (4 for Wizards); Mass Daze is +4 levels above Daze; Mass Cacaphonous Call is +3 levels above Cacaphonous Call. Even beneficial buff spells like Feather Step add +2 levels when transferring to their Mass versions. A Mass Hideous Laughter would be at least a 4th level Bard spell, probably a 6th level Wizard spell because Bards have a slower level progression on their spells.

The Spell-Like Ability RP option also specifies a spell that does not attack an enemy or deal damage, and this does attack an enemy. Assuming you get that lifted (which you should, it is a silly restriction), it'd be better as a 4th level SLA, much more likely to get approved.

Jackal's Cackle
Discipline: Telepathy (Compulsion, Mind-Affecting)
Level: Psion/Wilder 4
Display: Mental, Auditory
Manifesting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: 30ft. radius burst centered on manifester
Target: 1 enemy/level
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Power Resistance: Yes

Description:
Functions as per the spell Hideous Laughter, except as detailed above.

That's how I would rewrite it to be PF-compliant and balanced against other multiple-target offensive abilities.

Chulanowa

Question - While we're discussing race point values... what would the point value of something like the Goliath's (3.5) feature racial ability be?
QuotePowerful Build: The physical stature of a goliath lets him
function in many ways as if he were one size category
larger. Whenever a goliath is subject to a size modifier
or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as
during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip
attempts), the goliath is treated as one size larger if doing
so is advantageous to him. A goliath is also considered to
be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s
special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or
swallow whole) can affect him. A goliath can use weapons
designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
However, his space and reach remain those of a creature
of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack
with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change
the subject’s size category.

It's feeling kind of like 3?

TheGlyphstone

I'd price it at +3, Paizo would price it at +4 probably. True Large size is 7 points for (+Str, -Dex, -Attack, -AC, +CMB, -Stealth), with big weapons. Powerful Build would give +1 CMB and big weapons, with no drawbacks.

MrBubbles

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 25, 2015, 06:16:39 PM
I've finally found time to sit down and start working on mine.

And I've had time to sit down but every time I try to write out a good backstory, my brain does a full-stop BSOD.

Like, I know what I want to write, but trying to write anything other than conversational (like what I'm doing right now) just makes me draw blanks (pretty shitty time to have writer's block, eh?)

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 25, 2015, 07:38:46 PM
Question - While we're discussing race point values... what would the point value of something like the Goliath's (3.5) feature racial ability be?
It's feeling kind of like 3?

Powerful Build is a beautiful racial ability and, if the DM gives the green light, I will probably replace one of my existing racials with it (Lucky, Major most likely.)

Gotta get that Large Bastard Sword (Flamberge, maybe) for some beautiful 2d8 hand-and-a-half fighting. Hell, Powerful Build lets you use Large Longbows, which fluff-wise feel like those Greatbows you see in Dark Souls (or you could just say your character can shoot those arrows really fast.)

MrBubbles

Sigmund Eischerich
The Kingseeker

Far to the north there existed a kingdom proud, her people fair. Naming themselves after their capital, which was itself named after the strait it sat upon, the Kingdom of Ismia was once a poor collection of petty duchies ruled over by barbarian kings, a lawless realm gradually tamed by great war and greater ministers. For three hundred years Ismia reigned as the Northern Jewel, an icy reflection of Invictus's glorious light that grew wealthy on the vast mineral wealth that lay within Ismian soil.

It was not to last. Twenty years ago a great Doom befell the kingdom that plunged it into an eternal winter. Some claim it was the work of the kingdom's infamous Winter Council, a cabal of ice mages that could weave ice like a clothier could weave thread. Others whisper that a terrible beast of frost and fury awoke in the kingdom's mines, disturbed from the permafrost it once slumbered within. Regardless of the theories, what is known is that Ismia as people knew it was gone, her people scattering to warmer lands in search of a new life, or perhaps answers to the kingdom's plight.

It was during this mass exodus that records of Sigmund Eischerich first appeared. The lad was one of many in a great caravan of refugees, overseen by a bearded man claiming to be a relative. Even then, people could see Sigmund was different than the other boys - stronger, tougher, quick of mind and tongue, Sigmund had noble qualities that caused him to stand out, and as the boy grew into a man under the expert tutelage of his caretaker many began to remark that the royal family did have a son of roughly the same age when the Doom fell on Ismia.

Whether Sigmund was royal blood mattered not, for none had seen the king or his family escape Ismia, and wandering princes of toppled dynasties make for poor allies. And so Sigmund thus grew to become not a statesman but a sellsword, and one of unscrupulous quality as his early career might attest. Eischerich came to make a name for himself amongst the mercenary companies of Invictia, a duelist of rare ability and rarer intellect, as calm as Ismian ice yet reeking with the stench of ambition. There was a method to his dealings, machinations that drove him to an end many questioned but could not determine. He was seeking something, power perhaps, or wealth, but those amongst the Ismian diaspora guessed (correctly) that he sought a future for his people, if not a return to Ismia than an opportunity to conquer a foreign land and claim it for himself. Whether frozen upon his throne, mist-veiled and unforged, or calling for heroes in the greatest Empire this world has seen, Sigmund sought a king.

Wish List

Okay, picture this: Sigmund is on the frontlines, surrounded by foes, when he draws his sword. Immediately the temperature drops a good five or so degrees, frost forming on his sword's pale blade as he holds it aloft to chop down on anyone foolish enough to approach. These enemies however are smart, they all begin to approach, which seems to be the thing Sigmund wanted them to do - as they advance to mob Sigmund he stabs his sword into the floor, causing deadly icicles to burst out of the ground and skewer everyone foolish enough to get close.

Mechanically? It'd be an Icy Burst Greatsword that casts (standard action) a cold-aligned Fireball (frostball?) with Sigmund as the center, skewering everything within 20-feet for scaling frost damage but leaving Sigmund unharmed. Hell, once we go Mythic I intend to get Legendary Item, turning this sword into an artifact with all the goodies that entails.

Other than that, I really want to go full-on Ice Lord Terminator with Sigmund; Ring of Regeneration/Sustenance (never stop running!), Cloak of Endure Elements* (and maybe Resistance, could always double up on abilities) to let him laugh at sun, snow or storm, hell some Adamantine Full Plate with Cold Resistance would just complete the ensemble. I've absolutely got fluff ideas for where he got all this stuff, but for now I feel it prudent to put 'em down so you can give the raw concept a good look-over.

*Who says it has to be a cloak? If I was planning to go with this as Sigmund's armor design, the "cloak" could be that wicked neat winter wolf draped across his shoulders.

Wish List

Cloak of Winter: The wolves of Ismia are renowned for their ferocity... And their fur, and as an eternal winter engulfs the country these feral beasts have adapted in ways some would consider unnatural. Purchased from one of the few hunters mad enough to enter the Ismian frontier, this fine wolf pelt bestows the wearer immunity to the worst mother nature can offer, as if affected by Endure Elements.

Soltimbrand: Forged from Ismian Ice-steel, a curious alloy some claim to be alchemical in nature (and exceedingly rare), this +1 Icy Burst Greatsword was gifted to Sigmund by Duke Garlan of Gilden Hall, after fending off a thousand enemy soldiers trying to storm a bridge Sigmund alone defended. The sword itself is of impeccable craftsmanship; a hilt and pommel of burnished brass yet a blade pale as bone, and cold to the touch. Indeed, the sword seems to absorb heat rather than emit cold, and because of this (and the weapon's unnerving quality to "drink" blood) it had been given the name Soltimbrand, meaning "The Hungry Blade" in the old tongue.

Ägide: The Knights of Ismia were renowned not for their skill with horse or lance, but donning heavy armor and wading into the thick of combat with swords singing. This suit of +1 Energy Resist (Cold) Full Plate is a particularly well forged example of their armor, inscribed with old magic protecting the wearer against winter's chill and padded with clothes designed to emulate native styles, all custom-ordered by Sigmund after a brutal campaign in the Korvassin Interior.

Spiritstone Ring: This marvelous ring is crafted out of the legendary substance known as Spiritstone - a pale blue stone speckled with yellow orbs that constantly flit just beneath the surface. Said to be the crystallized spirits of those who drowned (and were frozen into) lakes of religious significance, Spiritstone emits a low yet constant source of positive energy that rejuvenates the mind and sustains the body as though it were both a Ring of Regeneration and Ring of Sustenance.

(If a Ring of Regeneration is too extreme it could just be a fancy Ring of Sustenance, until I grab legendary item for this or Soltimbrand.)

eternaldarkness

Friday is finally here and I shall answer all question and get us going as soon as I get off of work later tonight.

Edit: I will say this, though - Jackal's Cackle is way too cheap for what it does, and Powerful Build is an expensive trait on par with Flight. I'll price them both when I get home later.

Rhynarion

Sheet mostly done.

Cerebrathrope

Cerebrathrope (12 RP)

Medium (0 RP)

Cerebrathrope are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed (0 RP)

Cerebrathrope have a base speed of 30 feet.

+2 to one ability score (0 RP)

Cerebrathrope gain a +2 bonus to one ability score chosen at creation, to represent their varied nature.

Monstrous Humanoid (3 RP)

Monstrous humanoids are similar to humanoids, but have monstrous or animalistic features. They often have magical abilities as well.

A monstrous humanoid race has the following features:

Monstrous humanoids have the darkvision 60 feet racial trait.
Monstrous humanoids breathe, eat, and sleep.

Manic Curiousity (4 RP)

Prerequisites: None.
Benefit: Cerebrathrope are creatures of passion, and their interests are varied. Each member of this race picks two Knowledge skills. The member of this race gains a +2 racial bonus on both of these skills, and those skills are treated as class skills regardless of what class the member of this race actually takes.

Naturally Psionic (2 RP)

Cerebrathrope gain the Wild Talent feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. If a Cerebrathrope takes levels in a psionic class, he instead gains the Psionic Talent feat.

Change Shape, Lesser (3 RP)

Prerequisites: Aberration, dragon, fey, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid type.
Benefit: Members of this race gain the following supernatural ability: A member of this race can assume the appearance of a single form of a single humanoid race of its size. The form is static and cannot be changed each time it takes this form. The creature gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear as the member of the race whose appearance it assumes. Changing its shape is a standard action. This trait otherwise functions as alter self, save that the creature does not adjust its ability scores.

My present race stats, until I can get Cackle measured as points.

Sir GM, is it possible that you might also be willing to show what it might be as the original idea of a Psionic Hideous Laughter? (With augments to turn it AOE and / or allow it to kill Ala Crisis of Breath) Thank you!

Now, I am also hoping someone might be able to suggest what to spend my 5,000g of masterwork non-magical items on, because it was my intention that Arkhamir use Inertial Armor in lieu of actual armor (because HAT). Being a casting class and new to pathfinder, I am boggled on what gear I might buy instead? If that is allowed.

I have taken a drawback because it fits my character (and is technically required to play him). Do I get a third trait from this as per normal? I intend to take the drawback either way.

Lastly, I have used my feats to get a familiar through Eldrich Heritage and the Arcane Bloodline - representing his witch/otherworldly blood. In my personal writing with Arkhamir (before I ever looked at Pathfinder) the familiar existed, but it also had the ability to change it's size. I had originally resolved to have to go without this feature, but I saw this and it suited exactly what I am looking for. The only problem is that it takes away my ability to speak with Tock at 7th level!

Is there a chance you might be willing to houserule the Archetype in half? I really want the 3rd level abilities. Or even 3/4ths because I was told by my friend (who DOES play pathfinder) that the 4th ability was a poor trade - giving up the spell resistance that is. I will bite the bullet and take the full archetype if it is otherwise unfair to the rest of the people.

Assuming that you are willing to allow the archetype at all, can it be assumed that because Tiny familiars become Medium creatures Tock (being small) will become a Large creature? If that is unfair/unreasonable can Tock be a Tiny creature instead? The rules made it out that small familiars are much harder to keep alive, so if there isn't a perk to it then I would like to drop him down to a better size.

Thank you!

P.S. - Can he give a +3 to swim instead of stealth? Marine Iguana uses the same stats as Dwarf Caiman and gives +3 to swim. Ark really isn't a stealthy kind of guy. 

Edit - Really bad typo!

TheGlyphstone

Taking a Drawback gets you a bonus Trait, not a bonus Feat, FYI. Very big difference to keep in mind.

What gave you the impression familiars get bigger? That's not anywhere in the Familiar rules I can find, so I think you misread something there - familiars are the same size as their base animal, which is either Tiny or Small. Only Animal Companions increase in size as they level up.

Rhynarion

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 27, 2015, 07:47:54 PM
Taking a Drawback gets you a bonus Trait, not a bonus Feat, FYI. Very big difference to keep in mind.

What gave you the impression familiars get bigger? That's not anywhere in the Familiar rules I can find, so I think you misread something there - familiars are the same size as their base animal, which is either Tiny or Small. Only Animal Companions increase in size as they level up.

Typing a feat there was a typo, my mistake.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes/mauler-familiar-archetype

Read the third level abilities. It is from the Familiar Folio book, which is by Paizo and not third party.

Proof - http://paizo.com/products/btpy9au2?Pathfinder-Player-Companion-Familiar-Folio

I originally had it all linked in my post via hyperlinking <a href=""> </a> (put text in the middle and a link in the quotations and it will hotlink the link from clicking on the blue word.

eBadger

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 27, 2015, 07:22:34 PM
Lastly, I have used my feats to get a familiar through Eldrich Heritage and the Arcane Bloodline - representing his witch/otherworldly blood. In my personal writing with Arkhamir (before I ever looked at Pathfinder) the familiar existed, but it also had the ability to change it's size.

This effect would be easily achievable via a magical item - collar, anklet, even a piercing or magical tattoo.  Enlarge and Reduce Person are both 1st level spells, at will for both would be a 4000g item; I don't think it's a serious change to have it apply to a familiar only v. a person (as, technically, the spell would work for both of you if cast on your character instead). 

Just tryin' to simplify :)

Rhynarion

Quote from: eBadger on March 27, 2015, 07:57:38 PM
This effect would be easily achievable via a magical item - collar, anklet, even a piercing or magical tattoo.  Enlarge and Reduce Person are both 1st level spells, at will for both would be a 4000g item; I don't think it's a serious change to have it apply to a familiar only v. a person (as, technically, the spell would work for both of you if cast on your character instead). 

Just tryin' to simplify :)

That is an excellent idea, but the GM had said that Magic was exceptionally rare / banned starting with magic items.

Though it does prevent getting strength scaling, it would be a great laymans fix.

Thank you! I'm still new to how pathfinder works and all.

By chance, what would be the GP cost of turning a hat into a bag of holding on its inside?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 27, 2015, 07:54:02 PM
Typing a feat there was a typo, my mistake.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes/mauler-familiar-archetype

Read the third level abilities. It is from the Familiar Folio book, which is by Paizo and not third party.

Proof - http://paizo.com/products/btpy9au2?Pathfinder-Player-Companion-Familiar-Folio

I originally had it all linked in my post via hyperlinking <a href=""> </a> (put text in the middle and a link in the quotations and it will hotlink the link from clicking on the blue word.

Ah, okay. I didn't see you had taken an archetype for the Familiar.

That is an excellent idea, but the GM had said that Magic was exceptionally rare / banned starting with magic items.

Though it does prevent getting strength scaling, it would be a great laymans fix.

Thank you! I'm still new to how pathfinder works and all.

By chance, what would be the GP cost of turning a hat into a bag of holding on its inside?

He also told us to make a 'wish list' of magical items/effects we wanted, this sort of thing looks like it'd qualify to go on your wish list.

eBadger

He said make a wishlist ;)  And familiar stats should automatically scale, yes?  Though honestly if you're planning on a fighting ally, that's really more of an animal companion.   If you want to focus on that but also cast spells look at the hunter class. 

MrBubbles

Aaaand there, updated my Wish List with descriptions of each item I want.

Rhynarion

Quote from: eBadger on March 27, 2015, 08:24:08 PM
He said make a wishlist ;)  And familiar stats should automatically scale, yes?  Though honestly if you're planning on a fighting ally, that's really more of an animal companion.   If you want to focus on that but also cast spells look at the hunter class. 

The idea behind Tock isn't that he is always there to fight, actually anything but. The whole appeal as part of Ark's image is that he looks like a human (except for his shadow) and his crocodile doesn't seem more than a hatchling.

Having a tiny crocodile thrown at you is quite laughable, really.

Until it triples in size and crashes into you.

Really though, a hunter simply wouldn't do for Arkhamir given his backstory. You will understand once I post it properly, but here is the first half - for the curious. I am still finishing the additions that jump him forward a few years to sixth level. Animal companions are also not quite intelligent over a base animal, look a bit further back to see my story snippet from a mature Arkhamir. It is in the thread.

Please do keep in mind that this is a character I have had for a long time that I am converting to Pathfinder. He is the way he is for a reason.

Unfinished
Arkhamir VanRooke is the spawn of an unknown entity and a Lycanthropic witch, with the stolen energy of a powerful psion prospect used to fuel his conception. The result is a creature known only as a Cerebrathrope, rare even in the most extreme of circumstances. He bears the form and frame of a half-breed lycanthrope, but even to his distant were kindred he is marked as _different_. While he retains the ability to revert into a human form as many half-breed weres do, the potent mark left on his soul by his father means that his shadow is slow to follow. Perceptive souls have claimed that he has the shadow of a beast, but one far more sinister than any natural were.

The young boy was raised solely by his mother, secluded from the rest of the world through her life as a hermit. His upbringing was not unkind, though the circumstances forced a harsh hand. He lacked any talent for the art of witchcraft, emotions and mind much too volatile to court their mysterious power. He took more quickly to his schooling on the lore of the wilds, though his efforts toward alchemy produced results only through unorthodox means. Her collection of aged magical devices was not spared his curiousity, though the punishments for getting caught messing with dangerous wands ran harsh - mitigated by his charismatic nature and the suprise that he could intuitively make them work.

A wanderlust overtook Arkhamir as he neared his fourteenth birthday, his feverish emotions reaching new heights as he approached manhood. His first change overtook him suddenly in the brightness of day, forever inverting his human appearance with the beast in his blood. He tasted pain truly for the first time as his bones shifted and popped, but it all became worthwhile when he felt how truly alive the change made him. He became intimately aware of the passions of all the world around him, consumed by a feverish rush that could not be contained.

He returned home only once the sun went down, finding the disappointed eye of his mother waiting to greet him. His newly awakened senses rang out in alarm, warned him of danger he dared not heed. Boldly he proclaimed his desire to see the world to his mother, seeing plainly how her patron hollowed her for the first time. A clever tongue did not cool her ire this time, and he watched in horror as his mother began a dire incantation.

Fear erupted from his pores as he reached for his vest, a blast of force leaping from his body with no proper sense of direction or focus. It hurled him against the dirt, the sound marked by a fateful crunch. His hidden treasure was broken. The young man reached into his pocket and pulled free the stolen wand, a pair of deep cracks splintered along the polished wand. The surge of power still lingered beneath his skin. He cast his lot into the swirling eddies of fate, willed the wand to unleash its fractured magic. The spell would work, take him far from this place. It had to.

The broken wand misfired spectacularly that evening, an explosion of dimensional force shattering earth as it hurled him through the plains. He glimpsed things fleetingly in a daze, time spun out until it lost meaning between an instant and eternity. He lost conciousness before he ever reached a destination, his efforts spent from the trying day.

He came to on unfamiliar ground, sore beyond measure. The wand did not arrive with him, for the disfigured spell consumed it. He tasted salt in the air for the first time, and forever equated the taste with freedom. Hours passed before he could muster the strength to rise, an intuitive notion urging him northward. Unfamiliar trees surrounded him, and the sun waxed harsher than he ever felt before.

He managed to assume his human form again by the time he reached the city impressed into his mind, but to his dismay he found that he cast a shadow far more beastial than his original form. He became lost in hustle of the port in his first few hours, roughed once by the guards in suspect that he might be a street urchin. No one paid him much mind. Ever now, he felt the call of the ocean ringing in his ears. Of all the exotic sights, none compared to the blue expanse that promised intangible things.

A flyer blowing in the wind blinded him as he wandered through the market, interrupting the consideration of stealing a bit of food. His curiousity became piqued by the time he pulled it from his face, the boisterous image of a sailing ship painted onto the front. It seemed that a ship was hosting open recruitment for new blood, offering board and food for those deemed fit to work.

He rushed through the city to make it before the opportunity closed, encountering all manner of obstacles intent on halting his advance. In the end he arrived minutes shy of the suns final setting, too late to partake of the opportunity so cruelly offered to him. He turned his eyes to the ocean with a heavy heart, unintentionally walking straight into another soul.

The accidental shuffle knocked him off his feet, a sudden wind tearing the treasured paper from his hands. He stared up in shock at the imposing man he unintentionally slighted, scampering back from this grizzled soul. He could not escape the pirate's reach however, and the older man hoisted him to his feet by his ill-cut mane. Then he heard the laughter bellow forth, looking up to see the man glancing between the flyer and the scraggly youth barely old enough to leave home.

So began the first true steps into freedom.

Captain Razio VanRooke saw the yearning for the sea in the young Arkhamir's eyes, and his heart found pity that day. He took the young lad on as his cabin boy, and gave him his surname for Arkhamir had none of his own. He taught the young boy everything he knew about running a ship, and though the work ran quite hard the lad thrived in it. For three years he toiled beneath the sails and drank deep the wonder of the stars. Of all the many talents, he took to cartography and navigation with the most zeal - fascinated by the idea of charting something so vast as the ocean.

Razio never question Arkhamir's strange presence or shadow, and neither did was he bothered by the manic emotions that ruled the young man. The crew did not bear such acceptance in their heart, but the superstition around the cabin boy was only the match that kindled the darkness. His fledgling talents never pierced their well-hidden ideals, and that proved to be a failure Arkhamir might eternally regret.

Captain Razio woke him in the dead of night one eve, a grim expression tainting his normally jolival countennance. The man refused to explain, simply rushing Arkhamir to get dressed while sternly watching the door. He rushed them to the lifeboat and shoved Arkhamir into it as the sounds of fighting became horribly clear. The Captain threw his signature hat to his protege, slicing the ropes before Arkhamir could protest.

No goodbyes were spoken, at least not aloud.

Differing currents pulled Arkhamir further and further from the larger ship as the minutes turned to hours, his captain's fate unknown and his own bleak. The salted air he so adored became bitter on that morn, mingled with the tears he fought valiantly to ignore. With nothing more to do, he laid back against the wooden frame and resigned himself to the ocean's whims.

eternaldarkness

Alright, I have to put an indefinite hold on this game. I thought i'd have time to run something as mechanically complex as PF right now, but it turns out I don't. My work hours just became erratic as hell, and I never know when i'll have time to do much consistent posting, let alone the extra work that goes into a game like PF. I'm so sorry guys, but i didn't wanna leave you hanging any longer. keep the OOC thread bookmarked, and as SOON as I have the time i'll start it right back up.

eBadger

Thanks for the heads up, and definitely keep me posted when you're ready to run this - it sounds like a very cool idea and I'm always up for some epic pathfinder!