Numenera (Looking For One More Player)

Started by Op3999, August 06, 2016, 09:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Op3999

Previously, we were looking for a GM to run our game of Numenera.  Now, however, we've found our GM and are working towards getting things started.  We have three players to form the party, some of whom are still putting the finishing touches on their characters while they get set up here on Elliquiy.  In the meantime, we've decided to look and see if we can't get a fourth player to join our game, preferably a female one to round out the group.  The concept is still vague and what we have is listed in the section underneath this which gives details to prospective GMs.  It does, however, contain some pertinent information to anyone who may want to join our game, so giving it a read-through is still recommended.

The basic concept is this:  This game is a non-combat, drama and intrigue based game wherein our characters accompany an established merchant (who will most likely be an NPC) as they travel around and trade with the various kingdoms of the Steadfast.  The game itself is loosely based off the way that the anime, Spice and Wolf, was written, so familiarity with that would help.  Details on the characters as they are right now can be found below, but right now, the line-up is a Jack merchant spy, a Glaive beast-tamer (which may become a more intellectual character in future concepts) and a Nano car-jacker/thief.  Our characters cover a fairly wide area of skills, talents and abilities, but if you can find something that you think fits into our group, we want to hear it.

So, if you've read this post and you'd like to see about joining us, then go ahead and post down below.  We'd love to read your character concept.

Just like the title says, I'm looking for someone to GM a game of Numenera.  I should say we, though, because I have a group of three (including me) who want to participate.  We just love the science fiction in a fantasy setting (and I especially love the attention to detail with scientific details taken into account) and would love someone to run this game for us.  There is, however, one twist.  We'd like the campaign to be inspired by the anime, Spice and Wolf.

The merchant travel and trade aspects of that story are very interesting and we'd like to explore what that would look like in Numenera (with significant changes to the characters involved, of course).  The running idea is that our characters would be accompanying an experienced merchant (for any number of reasons depending on the characters themselves) and stick with them through miles of travel across roads and into cities to buy and sell goods.  Everyone would have their own motives, but they'd still have to work together or else it could all come loose.

The details of the game are pretty much up to you, of course.  We'd just give you our characters and see where you took us.

Here are our characters (so far):

Emmeret Brax, a Clever Jack who Leads:  Emmeret is a trade-spy, someone hired to infiltrate merchant guilds and trade houses to gather information, copy ledgers or even alter that info.  He makes a living off of the trade of information, but has a spark of something more inside of him in the form of leadership potential.  Someday, Emmeret may learn about his hidden talent and even found a guild of his own, but for now, he's just trying to make use of the skills his father left him.

(Under Construction) ______, a Learned Glaive who ______:  _____________

Beatrix, a Mechanical Nano who Works the Back Alleys:  If there's a tech, Beatrix can steal it.  Her specialties include hacking and overriding security systems.  It's pretty hard for a system to outsmart Beatrix.  However, what she can do with that stolen technology is limited, with little beyond selling it or using it for its intended purpose.

Right now, we're just looking to see if doing a game of Numenera on Elliquiy would work at all because then we'd get a little more leeway with the more adult themes of the RP (for obvious reasons) than on more conventional table-top RPing sites.  In this sense, we're looking for someone who's story-oriented, but not afraid of the crunch that comes with running a game like this, but someone who's also open to letting the players (through their characters) help drive the story.  Maybe that's asking too much, I don't know, but I'm willing to take my time to look for the right GM.

If you have any questions about this RP, the concept, the characters, our kinks or anything else, please feel free to either PM me or post in this thread, I'll be keeping an eye on both.

LordRod

I'm looking to run 1-2 games and this looks good to me since most of my own haven't taken off.  How often would you be looking for updates?
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

Op3999

Updates at at least once a week would be what we're looking for.  Less would be fine if the current scene or scenes don't need any help, but in that case, just a little "I'm still here" notification would be nice so we know we didn't lose our GM.  More would be good if there's a scene involving an NPC directly, of course, but we'd take what we could get there.

How familiar are you with Numenera and/or Spice and Wolf (or merchant/trade based RPs like it)?

LordRod

Very very familiar w Numena, not at all familiar with Spice or Wolf but have run games based on non combat scenarios before.  I'd want to hash out how mechanical vs story based you would wnat and once a week is quite doable.  Do you have an existing thread?

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

Op3999

Spice and Wolf is a pretty fairly short, two-season anime (26 episodes long overall, 13 per season, I believe), so if you have the time to watch it, I think it would help get across the feel that we're looking for, but at the moment, it will be very non-combat oriented.  We could discuss what the most important elements of the anime to this RP are and I'll double-check with my partners on that. 

I do expect it to be fairly mechanical when it needs to be, but I also expect certain other situations to be practically free-form (mostly by not requiring/prompting any rolls).  I imagine mechanics will mostly support story stuff, conversations to gather information or diplomacy and the like.

At the moment, we do not have an existing thread.  I wasn't sure if there'd be any support for a Numenera game on Elliquiy, so this was kind of an interest check to see if we should bother getting serious on doing it here as opposed to someplace else.

Also, I think our group of 3 PCs is fine, but I think I'd be happy if we were able to fill things out with a fourth (possibly female character to balance the genders).

LordRod

I will actually want to watch this if I can.  I can't watch anything atm but will see if I can binge watch it over the weekend on netflix if avail there or on amazon.  Elsewise it will simply be the first disk.  I will set up a thread likely tomorrow then and we can begin discussing the setting with a potential start maybe in 1-2 weeks?

LordRod

Looks fun, already can get the first two disks from netflix, a season will let me get the feel of the show.

Op3999

Okay, that sounds really cool!

Right off the bat, I will say that there are aspects of Spice and Wolf that don't need to be replicated in this campaign (the wolf part, as you'll see), but we are looking for our characters to be traveling with a merchant, preferably an NPC.  The most important part is this, though:  We want a non-combat, story-oriented campaign, one driven by drama and intrigue and we like how the writers of Spice and Wolf did it.

I should also say that the other two players are from another site, so they're going to have to get set up on Elliquiy first, but I can vouch for their writing abilities and experience in RPs (and RPGs).

Should I tag on the part where we're looking for a fourth in this thread or do you want to do that part yourself?

LordRod

Sounds great.  I am more than fine taking the long slow approach on this.

Non combat is also doable.  I will likely simply warn if an action is likely to lead to combat so you can avoid if desired.

Op3999

Alright, that sounds good!  I'll update you as the situation progresses!

For Prospective New Players

Please also post here if you're interested in joining this Numenera campaign as a player.  Preferably, we'd like another female character to balance things out, but it's not a huge deal.  We also have one of each character type, but there's still room for more.

LordRod

Sounds good. I am going to hold off creating the thread until at least one is clear of chargen.  Feel free to PM when done. I will check here periodically.

Op3999

Still looking to see if anyone's interested in joining our game.  I added more info in the first post regarding the game and what prospective players aught to know.

Op3999

Gonna give this one more shot.  We'd still love to have an additional player to join us, but I'm going to make this the last post regarding the additional party member for now.

As always, post here or PM me if you're interested in our game, if you want to know more, if you're ready to throw a character in and everything in between.