SRWBY Run (SR 5e, just a tad silly)

Started by RSGAlex, August 30, 2018, 01:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSGAlex

One day, a person in a discord chat said something while I was sleep deprived. In my depravity, I concieved a run idea based on how Shadowrun likes to reference modern day media (and near modern) stuff by talking about the Trideo remake under a different name. I want to, as a lead in to something more (hopefully) run this run idea to get some feedback.

Now the setup:

Big Ben, small time Johnson and medium time fixer, was an elf the group has frequented, perhaps individually perhaps as groups, at least a few times on their way up in the shadows. Well, he's contacted the group of 4 or 5 because his contacts dropped a run on him that is above his normal runners pay grade, both metaphorically and literally. Ben's remembered the group and it's a bit more their speed now that they've kinda got their bonafides made.

The Vandalay Arcology isn't anywhere near the grade of an actual corp  arcology, but for the people Ben normally hires it may as well be the Seattle Pyramid of Old. He figures with a little leg work, you lot can probably do it silently if you wanted. Now, the job is this. He has six neatly packed self working programs from various interested parties. Each one is offering in the ballpark of 20k (after his fixer cut) for the changes they want to be made, and he's peeked at a few of them. There's a few that can be used together, if the group is willing to do a little work and see.

Oh,yeah, the job part. Break into the Vandalay Art Arcology and find the studio rented by Alessandro-Marie Cross. Connect the data chip with the program or programs, and make sure that Cross knows not to change things back.

Now the trid series that the programs will edit be Dust and Souls a remake of an early computer work flatvid series that got some fame for the scandal that wrecked the first conversion attempt once it was rescued from the Losstech bin.

Now to get back to talking system and OOC level stuff. If the IC remake name and the thread title didn't clue you in, run number one is to put an agent program onto the workstation of a guy making the Shadowrun remake of the RWBY series. Why so many intersted parties, ask Big Ben if you want to know. He's worked with everyone enought to share, no real effort needed.

You, the player, don't need to know much about RWBY unless you want to have your character sneak in their own edits or try to convice the project director to keep on making them. Yes, that can be done. I fear I have opened Pandora's Gate, but I leave it open as long as the OOC isn't too bad.

Next, what chargen are we looking at? It's going to be a variation on Sum-To-10 I call Limited Sum-To-11. Normally, the limited part is just that the extra point for Sum-To-10 (it's in Run Faster, IIRC) effectively goes to Metatype so everyone has some Edge to learn to play with. I'm going to further limit metatype choice for reasons that I will give a little detail on. And possibly a joke or two.

Shifters, Changelings, HMHVV and AI are out. Shifters because I don't automatically want the thread to be in Extreme for animal sex (this is a metaphysics joke, it's because some would trivialize things too much and most all types would be a bit too ignorant). Changelings are out because I want to keep the Faunus in the RWBY remake and for the accountingn pains. HMHVV types are out because ghouls would warrent too much heat in this arcology, and the others have thiings I didn't plan on balancing around like some shifters. AI are out because they're likelky to spoil A Revengance Thing that can happen if the group decides to be real blood thirsty but also not thorough.

Other than that, pitch stuff after reading my bits of advice.

First, unless you're doing creation entirely on restrictive public computers or phone or tablet, get Chummer5. It makes things so much easier. Make a character in the Sum to Ten mode with 11 points, use that last one to kick up your metatype after spending the 10.

I generally balance around 12-6-9. What this means is that I expect a character to have a before bonuses die pool of 12 for the main thing or things they do. If you're going to be a razorgirl or razorboy, I'm expecting your Agi+Unarmed+Specialty if applicable to be 12 before temporary or easily losable bonuses. Street Sam? Your ranged or melee choice should be rolling 12 dice before that smart system or combat drug kicks in. Gonna hack? Have 12 dice for your favored method of doing things before you get into hot-sim.

The 6 part means that, with bonuses, you want a few emergency skills at least at 6 die pool, even if it takes some losable bonuses. The key emergency skills are Con, Perception, and Sneaking. You don't need all at 6 (and for many want at least one beyond 6), but you want to at least have a good chance of some emergency successes in one or two of those cases.

The 9 means that for minor skills and combat if you're not a combat type, you want nine dice. Got yourself at least 12 dice in your razorgirl's Unarmed pool? Aim for nine pool in pistols so that if you can't get there with a nine pool in Gymnastics you can do an okay job shooting. Plan on intruding in disguise to case a place for the team? Nine pool for Con, so if you flub an etiquette roll to keep your janitor persona unnoticed you can lie pretty well. Gonna rule the matrix with your Attack Hacking and high Sleaze? Get a 9 in E.Warfare so even if you're already stacking Noise Reduction to no tomorrow, you can pull off some of those tricks and stick some sensor tags on you to take Perception off your 6 list.

I'm also going to put up one house rule while I'm still awake. Melee attacks are now Simple Actions you can optionally take as a Complex Action. If you make a Complex Melee attack, the for that turn, choose a target. You lower the cost of an Interrupt action against that target if you take one against the target that turn. The cost lowers by 10 instead if the target chosen is also the person you're attacking.

Now, to sleep and I'll answer once I do some stuff in the morning to noon-ish.
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Drowdeviant

My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Conundrum

Potentially interested, was thinking a minotaur razorboy or something at first but this sounds like it could be pretty covert and social so might do something else.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

GardenoftheDead

"I am you. I am a shadow, the true self."

RSGAlex

First up, Kill Code is out. If you think you might want to matrix in jussst about any active form and can get it, do so. The exception would be a hypothetical Way following MysAd. Just too much cheese needed to possibly make that work. Possibly. Also if Matrix looks and history and what not, take a peek at the book's section on that at least because it's not written assuming that you read previous lore stuff.

There's a few thngs to change, but don't worry too much. I'll mention them if they look like they might come up.

@Conundrum , force is an option, especially if you use enough of it. Just means the timer starts earlier, much like someone that Greek would be easy to remember.

Please wait warmly.

RSGAlex

So, it's after Lsbor Day. Anyone hsve more ideas or want more advice?

Please wait warmly.