Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Started by BlueBeetle, December 30, 2014, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBeetle

Hey everyone!

I'm a huge fan of D&D 5th Edition, and am wondering if anyone is currently playing a game or is looking to start a new game with new players. I'd be willing to DM/GM, but would need a steady group. I'd honestly prefer to simply play by post, and create my own character if someone else wanted to DM, but I'm just looking for a good, entertaining time! Let me know if you're interested!

eternaldarkness

I'm considering running a game for people who are newbies to D&D and pen and paper rpg's in general, but I wouldn't mind a few experienced players to help out. I'll PM you as soon as I have an idea.

BlueBeetle

That sounds great! I'm not sure if I can receive PMs or not yet, being an as-of-yet unapproved member, but I'm absolutely interested.

LuciferOs

I would love to role play something like this, magic and sorcery is very appealing to me.

I only know D&D 2/3rd edition though, would it be ok to join and correct things to be more 5th edition when differences appear and the need arises or does everyone who is playing have to be very familiar with 5th edition ?
That's right ! Lucifer is a woman !
Active threads
See my role play preferences (underneath my picture) for my ons and offs

eternaldarkness

5E is easy to learn, and best of all the basic rules are available for free here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

That's all you absolutely need to play. I can easily teach a new player as we go; if you've played any D&D before, it will be pretty familiar. Looks like I have enough interest, so i'll get to work on a campaign and PM those who have expressed interest, that should give you and Beetle some time to get approved too =)

BlueBeetle

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 01, 2015, 02:47:26 AM
5E is easy to learn, and best of all the basic rules are available for free here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

That's all you absolutely need to play. I can easily teach a new player as we go; if you've played any D&D before, it will be pretty familiar. Looks like I have enough interest, so i'll get to work on a campaign and PM those who have expressed interest, that should give you and Beetle some time to get approved too =)

Thanks again, that's awesome. And I can certainly attest that 5th Edition is a really easy-to-play system that is well worth the quick time to learn. Plus, basic rules, as mentioned, are free!

LuciferOs

can you tell us what level we are starting as plus starting gold so we can develop and post candidate characters while we wait for the campaign to develop ?
Active threads

eternaldarkness

That depends on you guys. I typically run 5E starting at no less than level 3 because that's when you get your archetype and have really competent characters, plus you have usable monsters both above and below your level without the PC's being too weak or squishy to handle most reasonable encounters, but I'll put it to a vote between the two of you and anyone else who would like to join in. For starting gold, take 300 GP in addition to your free gear from Class and Background. I'll post any optional rules that will be in play too; we could actually get it started in Non-Adult Roleplays while we wait for you guys to get approved if you so desired; I can come up with a basic campaign hook pretty easily and we could be rolling as soon as you have characters ready to go.

BlueBeetle

Personally, I like starting at level 1, but that's mostly because I really enjoy building a character's background and then working with the character up through his levels and granting him an archetype based on how I feel s/he grows organically instead of making that decision right up front. Like, if I were to play a Paladin, I'd want to take the time to let him travel, engage with other creatures, and come to a conclusion about which direction his deity wanted him to travel with regards to taking his oath, etc.

Plus, and it's only my personal experience with 5th Edition, the squishiness of 1st level is all a part of that character's journey. The threat of death from a group of kobolds feels real as a level 1 character, whereas a level 3 character *should* have learned their patterns, tendencies, etc., and thus have a much easier time killing them.

I'm not saying I wouldn't make a 3rd level character from the beginning of the game, but I really wouldn't mind starting from the baseline and earning the experience.

LuciferOs

No less than level 3. Can we start at level 5 then ? that's my vote.

I hate having close to nothing to work with - which is true when your low level.
Considering I am playing with another that likes things starting at level 1, perhaps level 3 is the safe compromise.
Active threads

eternaldarkness

3 seems like a happy medium between 1 and 5. Also, a bit about me and my GM'ing style: First of all, I go for fun over all else. If everyone isn't having fun, then I have a problem. I like to see people  enjoying themselves, so if for any reason you aren't, let me know however you feel comfortable doing so.

Second, I tend toward high amounts of action and an over-the-top, cinematic style. Even when I try to run more down to earth, i somehow end up doing things big. Don't be afraid to take risks, do things that seem cool as hell if impractical, and so on - you are more likely to succeed on cool things in my games, because of the way I use the Inspiration mechanic: rather than handing it out and saying 'use it whenever you want', I just offer a reroll on any failed roll I please. If you accept it, I get one inspiration to use for NPC's at a later time, but you can choose not to accept the inspiration and take your failed roll. Hint: if i give you inspiration for a roll, it means what you are attempting entertained me or I want it to succeed very badly. Make of that what you will :D

Third, i'll use a few optional rules from the DMG, all of which are self-explanatory: Climb onto a bigger creature, mark, overrun, shove aside, and tumble. More will be posted on the details of those when I get a game thread up.

And last of all: If there's something you've always wanted to do but could never find a rule for it or a character option that exists to make it possible, let me know. I am very, very good at homebrewing. I am the DM you want if you're trying to make a special snowflake character.

In summary: Have Fun, Entertaining the GM is a great way to live longer, using a few optional rules, and tell me if you want to do something and don't know how.

Edit: You can also ask me for an inspiration reroll, but if you do, I get one for my NPC's as well.

LuciferOs

sounds awesome.

I was hoping that for combat we could explain primary and secondary intentions and roll-back plans in case things go pair shaped and you god-mode its entire resolution and major milestones of the combat based on our intention (which is in our best interest to be cool like you suggested). This could help the role play be more cinematic.

This stops hordes of posts being rolls - as I know that many roles are needed to resolve even very simple combat if we are to "play like we are rolling everything in detail properly"- and would keep the action tense and thrilling, not a role-grind - which I think spoils excitement.

If we are to start of as level 3, we be equip us with what fit in with our character avatars? So if it looks like an avatar has a impressive ring, you make a judgement call and say what it is. This helps visualization and comes in handy for role-playing later.

I was hoping you may be ok with homebrewing spells - so if we think of something that isnt on the spell list - we may be able to invent it or research it and make a strange spell that isn't common - but we can cast, and the same with magical items.
Active threads

LuciferOs

"we be equip us with what fit in with our character avatars? "

SHOULD READ

Can we please be equipped with what fits in with our character avatars ?
Active threads

BlueBeetle

I'll start working on my character, then.

LuciferOs

Actually forget my suggestion about characters having items that mimic their avatar. Feels pretty immature now come to think of it.

- Sorry.
Active threads

Rook Seidhr

Any problem with me jumping in here? Experienced gamer, totally new to 5e (never really did learn 3e either, and skipped 4e completely).

eternaldarkness

Have at it. My maximum number of players for a play by post game is five, in case someone drops out, so there's still plenty of room. I'll mostly be making things up as I go with this game though - no detailed plot or published adventure. I'll present a basic starting area, and we'll run with it.

Rook Seidhr

Thinking a half-elf warlock, then.

EDIT: standard 27 point buy for stats?

BlueBeetle

Quote from: Riveda on January 02, 2015, 06:16:35 AM
Thinking a half-elf warlock, then.

EDIT: standard 27 point buy for stats?

I'd also like to know how we'll be rolling up stats, since it might change what I play just slightly. I was thinking a warlock, too, but if we've got one, then I might go either Paladin or Bard, depending on what our party looks like.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: BlueBeetle on January 02, 2015, 12:09:33 PM
I'd also like to know how we'll be rolling up stats, since it might change what I play just slightly. I was thinking a warlock, too, but if we've got one, then I might go either Paladin or Bard, depending on what our party looks like.

D'oh! Standard 27 point buy, as Riveda said. Can't believe i forgot that.

Kuroshu

Where do we posts our character sheet and the likes if we wanted to join?
Do we just join in with an OCC post in the thread?

eternaldarkness

I'll get an OOC thread and an IC thread up soon. I'm really happy to see so many people interested in playing.

Kuroshu

It'll be fun!
Also is there an online character creator? I know there's Mythweavers for character sheets but 5e seems like it doesn't have much for character creators(online).
Not talking about auto gen random ones but more like helping the player keep track of Points and such (Auto Calculations, etc)

eternaldarkness

Not that I know of, but I'll provide a nice sheet format and will be happy to help with character creation, either here on E or via Aim/Skype (contact info is in my profile).

Kuroshu

Alrighty.
When do you think will this be ready?
I want to get started as soon as I can.