News:

Main Menu

Becoming Green

Started by CrimsonxKisses, June 07, 2009, 11:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakharra

I like to eat meat. Beef, pork, lamb, goat, chicken, I like and eat it all. I'm not about to give it up either.  Beef, pork and chicken are bought from stores, the lamb/mutton and goats are raised on the farm I live on and butchered here. I like some vegetables, but I will not eat just that unless there is no meat at all to eat. (I'm including dog as a meat to eat).

Me and my family do not really recycle a lot, I'm not sure what we could recycle, since most of the garbage is plastic (milk jugs, containers), scraps of paper packaging, tinfoil, cans from vegetables and left over food. We have our own pump and own the water rights. We even put in a garden this year.

But we do use gas and deisel to power our equipment. The tractors, car, truck, lawnmower, baler. It all requires fuel. We also burn wood for heat in the winter. It's the easiest and cheapest method of heat for us. More effective too then propane/natural gas. What else we could I don't know. The house and farm are nearly a century old, so maintinance is constant on them. Buying new things is out of the question.

CrimsonxKisses

PanzerDivisionBOM: I'm currently working on your reply, but it takes much more thought, and time, not to mention the amount of information I'm finding and trying to work with, but it should be up pretty soon! Sorry for the inconvenience, I seemed to have missed it the first time around as well. Thanks for being so patient, m'dear.

Quote from: Zakharra on June 13, 2009, 06:54:47 PM
I like to eat meat. Beef, pork, lamb, goat, chicken, I like and eat it all. I'm not about to give it up either.  Beef, pork and chicken are bought from stores, the lamb/mutton and goats are raised on the farm I live on and butchered here. I like some vegetables, but I will not eat just that unless there is no meat at all to eat. (I'm including dog as a meat to eat).

Me and my family do not really recycle a lot, I'm not sure what we could recycle, since most of the garbage is plastic (milk jugs, containers), scraps of paper packaging, tinfoil, cans from vegetables and left over food. We have our own pump and own the water rights. We even put in a garden this year.

But we do use gas and deisel to power our equipment. The tractors, car, truck, lawnmower, baler. It all requires fuel. We also burn wood for heat in the winter. It's the easiest and cheapest method of heat for us. More effective too then propane/natural gas. What else we could I don't know. The house and farm are nearly a century old, so maintinance is constant on them. Buying new things is out of the question.
Well, to be truthful, I wasn't really sure about this reply. (I don't know if you're just informing me on your life and expecting me to reply to it...?) Let me start by saying I'm just giving my own personal opinions on the matter, so I hope you and no one else takes offense.

I'll admit that I take the occasional milk in my tea, and I crave things I know I shouldn't, but every once in a while... sadly, I give in. But us, being humans... we make mistakes, but we're able to change for the better, or even for the worse. We're aware of the abuse animals suffer... yet some of us act as if we aren't aware of it. If you were on your deathbed, animal or not, you'd want to be treated fairly, wouldn't you? "If you're going to do it, at least do it right." That's something I'll say for the rest of my life, and I agree with it totally when it comes to animal produce. And sure, it's true... home farms can be different. They tend to take care of their animals better, because they acknowledge the fact that they need those animals to live. It depends on the person how the animals are raised, and I'd probably feel so much more comfortable if I knew the animal I was going to eat had a long, healthy life, and didn't suffer when it was killed. Wouldn't you?

...So, I just totally got the whole "I'm including dog as a meat." If you eat domesticated animals, something must be wrong. The emphasis in that sentence is domesticated, meaning 'fitted to a domestic life.' I have a Yorkshire Terrier, whom I treat like family, because he qualifies as a member to me. Have you ever seen how animals can protect and care for their Masters?  If you're sick, my Edgie is probably laying on your feet. If you go to the bathroom, he follows you in and waits. If you leave, even for five minutes, he's sitting in the window, waiting for you to come home. He'll literally wake you up in the morning, and shower you with dog kisses. My whole family loves him, and he loves them back... so why does he qualify as a 'meat' to you, may I ask?

(No, this is not my Edgie, because I'm not really comfortable showing him in the situation at hand. The point I'm trying to make here is: Could you hurt that? Kill that poor domesticated dog and eat him, for your own wants, which can sometimes be selfish? I s'pose the human race confuses me, why they'd do things of the sort to animals, especially ones they consider pets...)

On another note... I'm not too educated when it comes to things like tractors and lawnmowers, so I'm not going to reply to that. But, I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find ways to save money, and ways to recycle as well.

Nimmy

Quote...So, I just totally got the whole "I'm including dog as a meat." If you eat domesticated animals, something must be wrong.

The Incans considered guinea pig as a delicacy. Others consider dog meat to be the same, and that generally doesn't include domestic dog UNLESS it's an emergency (as in they're starving and there's nothing to eat at all). It doesn't happen in the so-called "first world" countries because we have a problem with it. But I have to ask a few things here. First off, who are you to tell someone that their eating habits, which may possibly be part of their culture (such as eating whale meat in Japan, etc), are wrong?

Second off, what does eating animal products have to do with becoming green? That is a choice that an individual has to make for themselves. You can't force anyone to change their eating habits. You seem to be advocating one too many causes at one time.

consortium11

Quote from: Nimeneth on June 16, 2009, 10:37:22 AM
The Incans considered guinea pig as a delicacy. Others consider dog meat to be the same, and that generally doesn't include domestic dog UNLESS it's an emergency (as in they're starving and there's nothing to eat at all). It doesn't happen in the so-called "first world" countries because we have a problem with it. But I have to ask a few things here. First off, who are you to tell someone that their eating habits, which may possibly be part of their culture (such as eating whale meat in Japan, etc), are wrong?

Second off, what does eating animal products have to do with becoming green? That is a choice that an individual has to make for themselves. You can't force anyone to change their eating habits. You seem to be advocating one too many causes at one time.

To be fair IIRC one of the largest causes of greenhouse gasses are cows producing methane... and the majority of cows are for meat production. So in at least that respect the two arguements do tie together.

On a related note I actually tried dog once. Bit tough and generic for a meat. But then again I've tried most of the "strange" and "exotic" meats out there, so I'm not a good person to ask as to whether people should eat them.

CrimsonxKisses

Quote from: Nimeneth on June 16, 2009, 10:37:22 AM

Who am I to tell someone that their eating habits are wrong? Well, I've stated so many times that these are my opinions, and I don't appreciate the rude questions that keep being asked to me. This is what I believe in, and it is others choice if they would like to share their beliefs/personal things with me. In this case, Zakharra did
just that, and I replied how I felt was correct. May I ask you something? Who are you to question me in such a way, when I've stated this is how I feel? Threads are open to replies, and if you really don't like them, I don't get why you'd want to even answer. Secondly, eating animal products doesn't have too much to do with becoming green. It kind of came into the conversation, even if maybe it shouldn't have. It is a choice someone has to make for themselves, hence why I did not tell anyone to change on my own behalf.

Quote from: consortium11 on June 16, 2009, 11:19:09 AM
To be fair IIRC one of the largest causes of greenhouse gasses are cows producing methane... and the majority of cows are for meat production. So in at least that respect the two arguements do tie together.

On a related note I actually tried dog once. Bit tough and generic for a meat. But then again I've tried most of the "strange" and "exotic" meats out there, so I'm not a good person to ask as to whether people should eat them.
It's your choice what you eat and why you eat it, but above I had only stated I would never eat that, and I don't believe in it. I just wouldn't want to respect someone who could not respect another living, breathing animal just like you and I. I'm nobody to say what others do is wrong, so I don't plan on it, but I can state my opinion freely if wanted.

Silk

The awnser is simple, if you don't want your beliefs criticised, don't post them its like the whole religion thing, they preach their hearts out but when they get confronted about it they get shitty.

Doomsday

Damn, I promised myself I wouldn't post here again, but I just have to say one thing.

Quote from: CrimsonxKisses on June 22, 2009, 11:46:09 PMI just wouldn't want to respect someone who could not respect another living, breathing animal just like you and I.

Like carnivores like wolves, sharks, eagles, etc. respect other living breathing animals  ;)

Nimmy

As has been stated before (several times), if you don't like people questioning your beliefs, don't post them where people will be bound to do so. I am just as entitled to posting my beliefs in communities as you are, and just as entitled to ask questions of others as you are. I'm sharing my beliefs, just like everyone else who has posted in this thread has been doing!

Quote from: CrimsonxKisses on June 22, 2009, 11:46:09 PM
It's your choice what you eat and why you eat it, but above I had only stated I would never eat that, and I don't believe in it. I just wouldn't want to respect someone who could not respect another living, breathing animal just like you and I. I'm nobody to say what others do is wrong, so I don't plan on it, but I can state my opinion freely if wanted.

Further, you keep stating that eating meat is wrong, and you did criticize the practice of eating dog meat (and to an extent, meat in general), so it did seem like you were pretty much telling people that if they ate meat, they weren't worth any of your time, which in some ways implies (but does not directly state) that you want them to change so they're not doing anything which you perceive to be wrong.

Now, since we seem to keep arguing in circles, perhaps it is time for all of us to calmly back off, keep to our own beliefs, and let this discussion die. That's what I believe would be the correct course of action.

CrimsonxKisses

Quote from: Silk on June 23, 2009, 02:39:23 AM
The awnser is simple, if you don't want your beliefs criticised, don't post them its like the whole religion thing, they preach their hearts out but when they get confronted about it they get shitty.
I do apologize if you thought of me as 'shitty.' It takes courage for me, if not anyone, to put up their opinions... and sadly, I do get a little vicious when disagreed with. It's something I have noticed for quite some time, and still try to work on. If I did upset you, Silk, I'm quite sorry.

Quote from: Doomsday Jesus on June 23, 2009, 09:25:43 PM
Damn, I promised myself I wouldn't post here again, but I just have to say one thing.

Like carnivores like wolves, sharks, eagles, etc. respect other living breathing animals  ;)
Well, I will agree there, no doubt. But then again, the food chain is different from human behaviour, and will always be... this is why we have more complex brains, have the ability to understand what is right and wrong, and have deeper feeling compared to said animals. Also, that's not all I have to say... I believe we got into a little 'altercation' before. I apologize: Not for giving my personal knowledge on the matter and opinions, but for stating them in a somewhat rude way.

Quote from: Nimeneth on June 23, 2009, 09:50:51 PM
As has been stated before (several times), if you don't like people questioning your beliefs, don't post them where people will be bound to do so. I am just as entitled to posting my beliefs in communities as you are, and just as entitled to ask questions of others as you are. I'm sharing my beliefs, just like everyone else who has posted in this thread has been doing!

Further, you keep stating that eating meat is wrong, and you did criticize the practice of eating dog meat (and to an extent, meat in general), so it did seem like you were pretty much telling people that if they ate meat, they weren't worth any of your time, which in some ways implies (but does not directly state) that you want them to change so they're not doing anything which you perceive to be wrong.

Now, since we seem to keep arguing in circles, perhaps it is time for all of us to calmly back off, keep to our own beliefs, and let this discussion die. That's what I believe would be the correct course of action.
I've never once said a 'meat eater' isn't worth my time, let me make that clear. About everyone I know eats meat. Then again, I never said I didn't not eat it myself, did I? We all have cravings, and we all want to give in... but what personally keeps me going and trying to stay 'pure' is the fact that things suffer in this worth so we can be the way we want. And, some religious people will get me here: (Not that I am, but I have previously attended Christian schools) Some things aren't good for our health. The Bible truly says that humans should only eat certain animals. Pig and scallops are two things I can name off the top of my head, but that's about it. To be truthful, I don't want said discussion to die. Hence, why I am trying to now state my opinions in a more gentle way, and try not to react as boldly. Even though I don't intend to blame others, I will admit it's not just I, even if I do make a big impact when it comes to talking about opinions freely. If I've offended you, please take this as an apology.

Oniya

Actually, most of the dietary laws (and most of the rest of Leviticus) were to enhance the chances of a small, nomadic, tribal culture to survive.  In those days, without adequate sanitation, eating pork and shellfish was a quick way of getting intestinal parasites.  Putting new wine in old wine skins was a sure way of having those old (weaker) wine skins burst due to fermentation pressure, wasting both the wine and the wine skins.  Sleeping with your brother's childless widow was a way of ensuring that at least 50% of his genes got passed on to the next generation.  Not sleeping with a woman during her cycle or for the 'unclean' period afterward increased the chances of conception.  Men 'not laying with men as with a woman' - you guessed it: makin' more babies.

Leviticus was good for the time it was written in, but even by the New Testament, it was acknowledged that the old Covenant was being replaced by the new Covenant.

Quote“Let not him that eats despise him that eats not, and let not him which eats not judge him that eats: for God has received him. Who are you that judge another man’s servant? to his own master he stands or falls.” Romans 14:3–4
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Doomsday

Do not even get me started on the bible, I can't support a scripture that advocates stoning unruly children.