Extreme Slowness?

Started by Autumn Sativus, January 25, 2013, 04:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

E gathers the most donations because E is the largest site on the server. However, E is not completely self-sufficient.

Individually, each forum probably couldn't afford the server space they all require.

Together, they can afford all of the server space - mostly.

There are slowdowns like this and pushes for fundraising each and every time we've needed an upgrade.

Nessy

Quote from: Trieste on February 10, 2013, 09:08:48 PM
E gathers the most donations because E is the largest site on the server. However, E is not completely self-sufficient.

Individually, each forum probably couldn't afford the server space they all require.

Together, they can afford all of the server space - mostly.

There are slowdowns like this and pushes for fundraising each and every time we've needed an upgrade.

I am curious, i feel like we had a server update within the last couple of years, but it was only a partial right. This time the idea being suggested might be a new build right?
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Oniya

Out of curiosity, would this behavior be triggered by spiders and bots visiting those threads as well?  Most of the huge ones that are left (at least the current top 10) are old ShoutBox archives.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: Oniya on February 11, 2013, 09:38:39 PM
Out of curiosity, would this behavior be triggered by spiders and bots visiting those threads as well?  Most of the huge ones that are left (at least the current top 10) are old ShoutBox archives.

Yes.

Thanks for starting on breaking them up - almost done it looks like : )

Quote from: Naiah on February 10, 2013, 08:43:21 PM
My understanding is that there are more than just E and BM and that E gathers most of the donations? I do think that if we gather the most, then we do deserve not to suffer thanks to too many PMs on other sites going out (as an example)

The fact that one site can interfere with others on this server has only been true for the past few months. It's not a 'normal' situation and additional servers are a major expense - not just in terms of financial outlay and upkeep but also my own time.

LunarSage

Is this problem going to come to a head before May or June?  I may well be able to offer assistance at that point.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on February 14, 2013, 03:47:36 AM
Yes.

Thanks for starting on breaking them up - almost done it looks like : )

Done with the 30Ks, taking out the 20K+ threads for extra security.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aadreal

I don't want to derail but I do want to say thank you.  It's easy to bitch and complain when things aren't going the way we'd like or rinning slow.  But I want to say thank you to Veks and the Staff for all they do.  E is a behemoth and just the amount of work it takes to keep this site running boggles my mind.  So again, thank you.

Trieste

Quote from: Aadreal on February 14, 2013, 09:52:02 AM
I don't want to derail but I do want to say thank you.  It's easy to bitch and complain when things aren't going the way we'd like or rinning slow.  But I want to say thank you to Veks and the Staff for all they do.  E is a behemoth and just the amount of work it takes to keep this site running boggles my mind.  So again, thank you.

+1

Hey, can the new CMS have a 'like' button? Or thumbsup or something?  ::)

Chelemar

Cecilia

Quote from: Trieste on February 14, 2013, 10:04:08 AM
+1

Hey, can the new CMS have a 'like' button? Or thumbsup or something?  ::)

Went looking for the like button for this.  Doh!

Caeli

Seeing some slowness right now - did you still want us to report these?

February 24, 2013, 06:54:22 PM
Page created in 8.41 seconds with 8 queries.

February 24, 2013, 06:54:59 PM
Page created in 64.857 seconds with 17 queries.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Scott

Why don't you just charge a membership? E alone has roughly 8787 ish members. Hit everybody for 5 bucks a year, that will end up with 43,935 even if we lose 40% of membership because of the fee that will still give a solid 26k a year for growth and operating costs. If BM's numbers are similar I'm averaging they are half as big as E, it would still be a solid 36K a year. Want more, double the fee, if you cant pull 10 bucks a year for access you might need to question your life choices.

It would also serve as an age verification too, because the banks don't give debit cards to minors do they? So it would lighten staff load. 10 a year isn't too much I don't think.

Autumn Sativus

While I personally wouldn't mind paying $10 a year or more (I often do with donations when I can) the reality is that many of the members, hell even any number of the staff and mentors, would not be here if they had to pay a membership fee. Money is that tight for many of us. $10 (even $1 or counting pennies) can be the difference between having E or having a roof over your head or food in your mouth. It would be extremely sad to lose a large chunk of members because they simply can't afford it, not because they wouldn't be willing to pay.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

LunarSage

Even if I -could- afford that, I know a lot of people would find the idea that they -have- to pay for E to be enough to make them leave.  The last thing we want to do is alienate a good number of our members.  If I want to donate, I would prefer that it be because I chose to do so. 

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Silver

Quote from: Scott on February 26, 2013, 02:58:26 PM
Why don't you just charge a membership? E alone has roughly 8787 ish members. Hit everybody for 5 bucks a year, that will end up with 43,935 even if we lose 40% of membership because of the fee that will still give a solid 26k a year for growth and operating costs. If BM's numbers are similar I'm averaging they are half as big as E, it would still be a solid 36K a year. Want more, double the fee, if you cant pull 10 bucks a year for access you might need to question your life choices.

It would also serve as an age verification too, because the banks don't give debit cards to minors do they? So it would lighten staff load. 10 a year isn't too much I don't think.

I understand your point of view but I must echo Saffron and LunarSage here.

Some people can't afford to give that much money, currently I am not giving anymore money until I get my tax refund. Elliquiy is an outlet for many people, a place to come and feel beyond welcomed; not judged, not having to think about the outside world for a bit of time. We all love to read and write and there should be no charge to do such a thing, just because of the fact that everyone found a place that they can write with other people with like mindedness.

People shouldn't be made to feel, be forced to give money when it's not something they wish to do of their own freewill. That will only create resentment of the worst kind, perhaps create some type of schism; I'm not saying it would happen but what if it did. We might end up with two sites, free and paid. What if you couldn't be on both, what if you were forced to pick one or the other....That would just open up a whole can of worms. Anyways...I rambled, I apologize.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Scott

It's 5 bucks a year, it's a tinge above a penny a day...

If a person is running that tight, so that .013 cents a day means the difference between food in their mouths a roof over their heads and they are still sitting around talking dirty on the internet, or exploring literary creativity, or whatever they want to call it... maybe things need to be re-thought in their own lives?

I in no way mean to sound elitist, or like an ass, or anything... but....    .013 cents?   yanno?   

Kye

Just because it doesn't seem like a lot to you, doesn't mean it wouldn't to someone else.  Even someone who is barely scraping by deserves some enjoyment in their lives, and if they find that by writing or socializing on Elliquiy we are more than happy to have them here.  Veks has said before that he doesn't want to make Elliquiy a pay site, and I have to agree with him. It would change the feeling of the site too much for my tastes, and I donate on a semi-regular basis.

Silver

Quote from: Scott on February 26, 2013, 03:46:44 PM
It's 5 bucks a year, it's a tinge above a penny a day...

If a person is running that tight, so that .013 cents a day means the difference between food in their mouths a roof over their heads and they are still sitting around talking dirty on the internet, or exploring literary creativity, or whatever they want to call it... maybe things need to be re-thought in their own lives?

I in no way mean to sound elitist, or like an ass, or anything... but....    .013 cents?   yanno?   

Can I point out that quite a few of the members here don't actively have stories, they talk to others have debates about politics and other things. So that's a bit of a harsh judgement to give. You don't know what they are going through nor do you know their current status. Maybe this is the place that is keeping them grounded, the place that they know that they can come when everything else is falling apart around them. I sure know that it's been that way for me a few times over all the years that I've been here.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Autumn Sativus

Yep, I know. And yep, there are people that would sink.

Regardless, Vekseid has always held a very firm stance to not donate if you can't afford it and I highly doubt that an enforced fee would ever be applied. It's a valid thought, but there really are that many people who live on the edge in this world. Denying someone access because they've been dealt a 'just barely afloat' hand in life seems cruel to me.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Trieste

It would depend on the time of year for me. If my renewal came up right now, I would not be able to pay it. We did our taxes for 2012 and I discovered that we ended up several thousand dollars under the poverty line.

We are not even the worst off on Elliquiy. We actually have a lot to be grateful for.

But if E became a paid-only site, even for $5 per member per year, I would have to wait a few months before I could pay it, and so would Mr. Trieste.

So I'm glad to donate when I can...

But I'm glad I'm not forced to.

Scott

Nothing's free... EVER. That's the way life works. Elliquiy being free is a noble idea, but it keeps getting bigger.. and obviously it's income doesn't match that.

Is it sustainable to operate like that?   

Elina

I don't join pay sites, generally, whether I can afford to or not.  And I contribute to this site in a lot of ways, I think.  I think E would lose way more than 40% of its membership.  Internationally, it can be hard to collect on US stuff, so there goes most of our foreign population.  Then there are those who can't/won't associate a credit card with an adult site.  And how about those who don't have a card or who won't Paypal or who... well, you get it.  Logistically, I think it would be a nightmare.  But even past that, it still comes down to this: the owner of the site doesn't want it to be a pay site for a lot of reasons, the above included, and so it isn't.  (Yes, I've asked him about it before, a long time ago.)

Kye

There are other ways to generate income that don't include mandatory fees for the members.  Some of those are being looked into, some have been scratched off the list. 

We have the wonderful, supportive community that we do because we are inclusive, and part of that is because there isn't a membership fee.  Charging for access to the site wouldn't just drive away the members who couldn't pay, but drive away a large percentage of future members as well. 

Caeli

Elliquiy is so much more than "talking dirty on the internet, or exploring literary creativity, or whatever". I don't know what Elliquiy has given you, but Elliquiy has given a lot to me. Being a member here allowed me to learn more about sexuality, to expand my writing skills, to meet a lot of amazing and erudite individuals. If it weren't for Elliquiy, I don't think I'd have had the confidence to take the first step into student leadership in my campus student organizations when I was in college - and I won't expand on how that experience changed my life.

But I wouldn't have been able to pay or donate to Elliquiy unless I had a job, and I did not always have a job.

I think we can get a lot more financial support, freely given and happily so, than we would as a pay site. We have a fantastic community here and such a giving memberbase; I believe that a large part of our growth comes from our inclusiveness.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Scott

Kinda feeling misquoted, so here's the whole sentence:

Quote from: Scott on February 26, 2013, 03:46:44 PM

Yeah I said that, I'll stand behind it, hate me for it, feel free.