Sorcery University (Players Wanted)

Started by Vandren, May 29, 2005, 07:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Ok, seeing as the arena idea didn't get any bites . . .

I'm working on a potential (completely freeform) university/college game focusing on magic wielders.  At the moment, it's still a work in progress, but I'm trying to avoid the Harry Potter feel as much as I can (despite loving Rowling's books).  I'm thinking it'll go in NC: Exotic Freeform, not because of a focus on NC Exotica, but because such could definitely happen.

Just based on that brief stuff, would anyone be interested?  I'd be looking for undergrads, grad students, faculty, and maybe some staff.  The setting'll be early 21st century Earth, with some non-Humans.  Beyond that, I'm still developing a few things in my head and on Word.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Ajoxer

Could be interesting. I'd be interested in doing a grad student...
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Vandren

Since there's 100% more interest than in my last idea . . . I'll keep working on this one and get some updates posted as I come up with them.  Right now, I'm working on the background/description and figuring out a few major buildings (like dorms and the library).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vandren

Ok, I got a basic description written up:

Sorcery University
History, myth, and folklore as we know them have always been filled with those who perform, or at least claim to perform, magic.  For the most part, they have been laughed off as superstitious charlatans.  But, what if they were right?  What if magic does work?  What if it just went away for a time?

This is exactly what happened.  In the early days of Humanity the world was a magical place.  Power came to those who knew how to tap the planet’s magic field (similar to its magnetic, electrical, and other fields).  Then, around the 8th century C.E., the power fizzled.  Only the most powerful could still tap the energy, but even the simplest spell required an awesome amount of power to fuel it.

Then, in 1912, the power suddenly and inexplicably returned.  Thaumaturgists are still studying this question.  The power was accepted by the scientific community in 1927.  A year later Pendragon University, a.k.a. Sorcery U, was founded in what was then West Virginia.  By 1954, the whole former state was owned by the university and turned into a preserve for magical creatures and experimentation.  Today, Sorcery U. is one of the largest and most respected thaumaturgical universities in the western world, second only to Oxford’s Merlin College of Magical Studies.  Students and faculty of all magical traditions are admitted and hired, from Hermetics and Wiccans to PanAfrican shamen and Buddhist semi-monastics, from NeoDruids and Mahotsukai to Kabbalist and Nauallis.

As with any instituation, though, not everything is fun and games.  And Sorcery U.’s problems aren’t merely limited to underage drinking, drug use, and vandalism.  Since the 1980s there have been increasingly common rumors of cover-ups, missing students, secret instruction in necromancy, unnamed students and staff using magic to commit crimes, and the like.  All of these rumors have been quite vague and nothing concrete has come to light yet.  Still, there are an awful lot of them moving around in certain circles, perhaps too many to ignore.

Today is August 27th, 2005.  Welcome to school . . .

LordAnubis

Vandren

Quote from: LordAnubis on May 29, 2005, 09:32:28 PM
I'd join this game.  Definatly.

Excellent . . . a few more potentials, preferrably female as well as male, and I'll ask for the board to be made.  :)

Steir

Vandren

Vandren

Thanks to Pixie, the University is open for business!  Or it will be in a few minutes.  :)

tcost

Let me in, Vandren!  Let me in!
I prefer justice to irony.

Vandren

Ok, we are open for business!  :D

Oops, forgot to say where we are:  NC: Exotic Freeform

http://forums.elliquiy.com/index.php?board=71.0

Vandren

I hate to bump this after a mere 24 hours, but we're open and looking for both students and faculty.  There's a link directly to the game in the post below.  I'd like to pick up at least 1-3 more characters before we get started IC.  :)

Vandren

tcost

Shall I consider myself accepted into the game, or do I need to submit anything?  And are there any faculty positions still available?
I prefer justice to irony.

Vandren

Quote from: tcost on June 07, 2005, 02:58:52 AM
Shall I consider myself accepted into the game, or do I need to submit anything?

I prefer to have potential characters PMed over first, so I can say yea or nay.  99% get yea, but I'd rahter catch that elusive 1% early on.  :)

QuoteAnd are there any faculty positions still available?

See the game forum.  ;)

Vandren

A bump for this ad.

We can still use faculty and students.  :)

Vandren

Feels a bit odd to bump . . . but we could definitely use more players, especially students, though faculty are welcome as well.

3ldr1tch

I'm interested. If only to relive my college days (Okay so I didn't study magick in college ... well not much, anyway).
The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of it's contents.

- H.P. Lovecraft ("The Call of Cthulhu")

Vandren

Well, c'mon over.   The character stuff and whatnot's in the game.  :)

Vandren

Time to bump this one too.  We seem to have lost at least one player to the Admissions Building.  :(

Vandren

Still looking for players/characters . . . I'd like to get classes starting around the 23rd or so, if you wanna get in before classes start, now's the time.  :)

Vandren

We'd still like some new players and characters.  :)

Vandren

C'mon down!  We've had a few players go by the wayside, but there are a few committed folks who wanna keep on going, so swing by, check us out, and come back to school.  :)

Vandren

There's still room for faculty and students.  :)

Vandren

Still open for more players.  :)  End of this week RT we'll be starting the first day of class IC.