New Firefox

Started by Oreo, November 18, 2017, 10:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

Hi,

I had a few questions before I consider going from my very outdated version to the new 'better?' thing.

Does it have dark skin choices? (Migraines demand dark screens)

Does it allow a bookmark bar above the tabs?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

persephone325

Yes, there is a dark option.

As for Bookmarks, I don't know. I don't keep my bookmarks visible.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Oreo

Thank you Sephie. The dark is a good start. I go bonkers without having all my quick links bar available.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Serephino

Yeah, I think there is a dark version.  The bookmarks... oh, the bookmarks!  In the top right corner I have this ugly thing that looks like 3 lines, with a 4th slanted.  Click on that and it shows your recent history, and access to bookmarks.  At least they fixed the issue I was having with it only showing so many bookmarks and not being able to delete them.  However, in general, I give the new version 2 thumbs down.

Lexandria

I have it for my mac so the interface is a bit different I think, but I have a skin installed on it (or... loaded in? I dunno) that's space themed (so it's pretty dark). You can customize like that I believe. I also think, at least in my version, you can add or pull away buttons from the interface (I've removed all my buttons except reload and the back button, because too much going on confuses me). I can't speak to how it acts on a PC, but I figure it has similar options?

Tentatively accepting a few new stories
Interests
Schedule
Creative Things
Current Cravings

Serephino

I think there are options.  There is a customize button somewhere, but being the computer idiot I am, I haven't figured any of it out.

Oreo

Ugg no. That wouldn't work for me. My bookmarks are extensive. I do not want to download it until I am sure I even want it. I am using an older version of Firefox because of the needed add-ons. The only really big one is the bookmark bar.

This is what a bookmark bar looks like...single click opens the new tab for places I visit many times a day.

Lexandria

I edited mine, it's a bit roundabout, but I made it so that I could add bookmarks right under the URL bar like yours is. -now has to figure out how to undo it- So if you downloaded it, I could probably help you sort out how to do it.

Interests
Schedule
Creative Things
Current Cravings

persephone325

Quote from: Oreo on November 18, 2017, 11:06:51 PM
Thank you Sephie. The dark is a good start. I go bonkers without having all my quick links bar available.

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with your bookmark situation. :-(
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Oreo

Quote from: persephone325 on November 18, 2017, 11:32:57 PM
You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with your bookmark situation. :-(
No reason to be sorry *hugs* I am the sorry one that is so compulsive I need my special things all in the right places.

Quote from: Lexandria on November 18, 2017, 11:28:40 PM
I edited mine, it's a bit roundabout, but I made it so that I could add bookmarks right under the URL bar like yours is. -now has to figure out how to undo it- So if you downloaded it, I could probably help you sort out how to do it.

Thank you Lex. I'll get back to you as soon as this headache clears enough that I can deal with spending a day upgrading my browser. I know I will need at least that much time.

Oh, does it automatically save all my established bookmarks and passwords? O.O Or do I need to save those somewhere first for importing later?

* Oreo doesn't do well with change and making mistakes

>_> Don't tell anyone, okay ya'all?

Lexandria

Quote from: Oreo on November 18, 2017, 11:46:07 PM
No reason to be sorry *hugs* I am the sorry one that is so compulsive I need my special things all in the right places.

Thank you Lex. I'll get back to you as soon as this headache clears enough that I can deal with spending a day upgrading my browser. I know I will need at least that much time.

Oh, does it automatically save all my established bookmarks and passwords? O.O Or do I need to save those somewhere first for importing later?

I'm not sure if it saves your past ones; to be safe I'd make a document with all them in it first in case nothing is saved over when it's upgraded.

Interests
Schedule
Creative Things
Current Cravings

Oreo

>.< I'll add that to my list of things to do...looking up how to do the import thing again.

persephone325

Quote from: Oreo on November 18, 2017, 11:46:07 PM

lol *hugs* No worries. I think we all have something in our lives that makes us like that. For me, it's my video game stuff. :P
I don't know.

Lexandria

I have version 55.0.3 I don't have the newest newest update, actually. I just realized. I can be the guinniapig and test it tomorrow and tell you for sure, though. I only have like... two bookmarks (and they were an accident) so if I loose them it's no big deal.

Interests
Schedule
Creative Things
Current Cravings

Oreo

Yeah I am talking about the brand new Firefox release. Firefox Quantum.

Lexandria

Oh! Well, tomorrow or Monday at the latest I'll be your tester and upgrade to it and see what happens. If you compile a list of questions I'll do what I can to test whatever I can in the transfer :D

Interests
Schedule
Creative Things
Current Cravings

Oniya

All of my bookmarks carried over.  (Gee, I seem to have a lot of them.  I should really go through them some day.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

I have bookmark folders inside of other bookmark folders...inside bookmark folders.

Games>PS4>the game>FAQs>videos

Peripherie

Oreo - here is what mine looks like. Thanks to your example I was able to cut down on some stuff! It looks similar to yours and I have tons of bookmarks that all seemed to port over okay. I was able to get a dark theme as well. The only thing I can't seem to figure out how to do is move the bookmarks above the tabs.

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Oreo

Ooooo, I might be able to live with that.