The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Mathim

Fantabulous, it'll make this whole long work week worth it. If the two of them had been in Infinity War, I think I'd have preferred to see Ant-Man being giant-sized in the Wakanda battle, and Wasp helping out the smaller group on Titan.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Make sure to stick around for the first post-credits scene. The second is amusing but skippable.

Mathim

Ah, I always stay for both even though I got burned by the stupid post-credits one from Spider-Man Homecoming. Giving us that lame Captain America PSA about patience was insulting. I stood up in the theater and shouted, "I wish Iron Man had kicked your ass in Civil War!"
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

First official still from Shazam! Hard to tell from one pic but it doesn't give off that Dark DC vibe, which is a plus.
https://i.redd.it/dgtjz3r09c911.jpg
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

wander

Nice. That's Freddy Freeman (Captain Marvel Junior) on the left. Funnily enough in the comics he was given that crutch from an attack by 'Captain Nazi' against Captain Marvel, though he got the crutch post ability to turn into his Marvel Jr form (he was fully crippled before).

I need Mary Marvel though. Potentially pretty excited.

mia h

Quote from: wander on July 12, 2018, 10:04:39 AM
Nice. That's Freddy Freeman (Captain Marvel Junior) on the left. Funnily enough in the comics he was given that crutch from an attack by 'Captain Nazi' against Captain Marvel, though he got the crutch post ability to turn into his Marvel Jr form (he was fully crippled before).

I need Mary Marvel though. Potentially pretty excited.
Looks like the extended Marvel family is going to get a bit more of an outing than I thought. There are number of blank spaces on imdb, actors with no roles but elsewhere has kind of filled in the blanks

Shazam\Billy - Zachary Levi\Asher Angel
Shazam Jr.\Freddy - Adam Brody\Jack Dylan Grazer
Mary - Michelle Borth\Grace Fulton
Eugene Choi - Ross Butler\Ian Chen
Pedro Peña - D. J. Cotrona\Jovan Armand
Darla Dudley - Faithe Herman\Meagan Good

wander

Don't trust IMDB as holy gospel though, anyone can edit it and fans put their faves in roles or 'leaks' that are fake sometimes fill out the cast. Prometheus was filled with fake roles and actors that never appeared in the film when that was in development.

Michelle Borth I think is probably a lil older than I expected powered Mary to look like (super toned and has a real presence on her though), though I am liking Grace Fulton as her depowered side. I expected more someone like Grace to play powered Mary and then a younger actress to play her depowered, though I'm okay with this.

mia h

IMDB is usually pretty good. It has Michelle Borth in an unnamed role and elsewhere both she and Grace Fulton are listed as Mary Bromfield, don't take a genius to put those pieces together.

Mathim

Okay, just saw Ant-Man & The Wasp. Not as good as I was expecting based on the trailers, although the bits that were in the trailers were some of the best parts of it once you saw them and understood what was happening and why.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
It wasn't as funny as it could have been. A lot of the back-and-forth comedic bits weren't as effective as they might have thought. Some of it worked quite well, but it was painfully obvious when they were just trying too hard, like when they were in the security office and arguing about Scott's desk being a card table.

Bill Foster's presence there was...almost completely unnecessary. He wasn't a villain, and even had to talk Ghost down from going to extreme evil lengths in her pursuit of salvation. Now, the movie lacked a strong primary villain so if Foster had dusted off the old Goliath gear and helped Ghost in a more substantial way, that might have been something, but somehow them having the authorities, Burch's group, and the Ghost as villains somehow diluted the threat and made everything feel less important. Even the time limit at the end to get Hank and Janet out of the Quantum Realm safely wasn't as nail-biting as it could have been.

My approach, if I had been involved, would have made Ghost be a less sympathetic villain. I'd probably have made it Dr. Starr himself, having brought it on himself and blaming Pym for discrediting him would give him good motivation to not just steal his tech but also hurt him in the process. Hank could have still looked like the asshole whose ego and attitude created his adversary, giving him more development closer to the comic version, but no, it had to be an innocent victim. I also didn't like how SHIELD was responsible for training her, let it die already if the show isn't going to have any impact on the films. There was also talk of the Human Top or Tornado being the villain when the movie was first announced, so if they wanted to avoid having yet another shrinking/growing enemy, they could have had that be Ghost's partner and given the duo a trickier enemy to fight.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the film ending with as many loose ends tied up as it had, I mean, you rarely get that close to a 'happily ever after' conclusion outside of animated G-rated material. But that mid-credits scene really shook things up, and I'm not sure how the hell they're supposed to play a part in Avengers 4 if Scott's trapped in the Quantum Realm and Hope is dust. Also that post-credits thing was such a waste, we saw it in the trailer for crying out loud. What would have been better was Cassie finding out her mother and step-dad were victims of Thanos' snap, and perhaps having some kind of clue that she would need to do something to help her father.

TheGlyphstone

AM&W

Personally, I think having a stronger/more threatening villain would have hurt the movie overall - though I would have loved to see a Goliath vs. Giant-Man dustup to contrast with the more acrobatic-oriented Ghost vs. Wasp fight scenes. Ultimately, the movie's strongest coherent theme was the relationship between fathers and daughters - we see Scott maintaining his relationship with Cassie, and Hank working side-by-side with Hope. Giving the primary antagonist slot to a comparable pairing gave it symmetry - the way Goliath treats Ghost seems very clear that he sees her as a sort of surrogate/adopted daughter, he's helping her and wants to save her life while trying to keep her from crossing a moral event horizon. They could have kept Dr. Starr himself alive in the same narrative role, but IMO Goliath worked for what the movie needed him to be.

mia h

A Batwoman series is being developed for CW using the crossover from the other Arrow-verse shows as a sort of back door pilot. The question then becomes one of where do the CW put it in their schedule as they've already said they don't want to do more than 4 hero shows a week?

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 12, 2018, 11:35:06 PM
AM&W

Personally, I think having a stronger/more threatening villain would have hurt the movie overall - though I would have loved to see a Goliath vs. Giant-Man dustup to contrast with the more acrobatic-oriented Ghost vs. Wasp fight scenes. Ultimately, the movie's strongest coherent theme was the relationship between fathers and daughters - we see Scott maintaining his relationship with Cassie, and Hank working side-by-side with Hope. Giving the primary antagonist slot to a comparable pairing gave it symmetry - the way Goliath treats Ghost seems very clear that he sees her as a sort of surrogate/adopted daughter, he's helping her and wants to save her life while trying to keep her from crossing a moral event horizon. They could have kept Dr. Starr himself alive in the same narrative role, but IMO Goliath worked for what the movie needed him to be.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
True, a giant vs. giant battle would have freakin' rocked, though if they wanted to avoid tons of collateral damage I'd have been hard-pressed to come up with a way for them to do so and not wreck too many buildings or trees which would be the only real way to make the fight have any real impact, so...maybe next time, on an alien planet where we can see the rocks flying but know that nobody's getting hurt or losing their livelihood or anything.

I just think Foster being more desperate to save Ava would have made him more meaningful, like if he found out his one idea that would have fixed things either wouldn't work, or if Hank had sabotaged it so that their options dropped off, he could have let all his bitterness out and been willing to sacrifice someone else important to Hank to save Ava, who is important to him. As it is, it was hard to take either Ghost or Foster seriously as villains because despite the result of their plans being the (probable) destruction of Janet, it wasn't for a vindictive reason, and in the end it's like they weren't even defeated but they didn't become friendly, either. Just felt kind of toothless overall.

mia h

Titans trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PPofXaJ4go - linked because of the teenaged Raven.

"Where's Batman?"
"Fuck Batman!"

wander

Not for me. Soon as the girl singer started I had the dread I felt over the Cloak and Dagger trailer and as it went on, I felt like it was Gotham crossed with C&D. Not the vibe of my Titans, didn't even finish the trailer tbh.

The girl playing Raven seemed to really nail the character though. Going out on a whim and saying she seems too talented a girl for the show.

mia h

After Krypton looked like it was going to be DOA and any number of people were saying unkind things about Black Lighting both turned out pretty well, so maybe wait and see what the final product is like.

wander

Perhaps, though through the mood of the trailer I'm not the target audience for this one.

mia h

CaptainNexus616

Big Infinity Stone has just been tossed into the MCU pond.

In the wake of tweets pertaining to joking about pedophilia and rape discovered on his twitter account from ten years ago...Disney and Marvel have cut ties with James Gunn.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oD7B7oiBtw

It's a DC movie with bright colors and actual jokes. I'm so confused right now.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 21, 2018, 04:19:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oD7B7oiBtw

That...I may actually go see in theaters.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

What, no one posted the Aquaman trailer too? Where's the love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkg3h8PCVU

Honestly, I'm impressed. The only thing I'm a little wary of is that he's got both Ocean Master and Black Manta to deal with. Usually that kind of thing is reserved for sequels where the stakes are raised. Feels like there may be a little too much going on for an origin story.

wander

I'm most into seeing Shazam, I mentioned before in the sb I think about how I remember watching reruns of the 1980s cartoon and I have fond childhood memories of the character. I liked the tone of the trailer overall, it's DCEU, though has that... dorkiness seeping in I really kinda dig for this property.

Aquaman I don't care much for, though dear lordy is Amber Heard making me fall for her hard as Mera. I've always had a soft spot for Mera regardless.

The film itself however... It seems to be hitting all the regular tropes for a garden variety Aquaman tale; herp derp Orm declaring war, herp derp Arthur has to go and claim leadership to stop it, herp derp Black Manta, herp derp we see them bullied as a kid and powers awaken... Kinda meh. I get it's to show the general public some lore and backstory for him, but eh... I'll see what the next trailer brings.

mia h

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 21, 2018, 04:19:07 PM
Best stay well away from this then  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmUiq66nYI

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: mia h on July 23, 2018, 01:25:34 PM
Best stay well away from this then  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmUiq66nYI

Okay, make me be specific then - a live-action DC movie with bright colors and actual jokes. Animated movies don't count, since by definition they have colors beside brown, grey, and blue/orange.