Steampunk

Started by Mindhazingsquid, December 27, 2006, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightBird

London would be sweet!

Mindhazingsquid

London it is.  A small addition, there are verious levels of engineered animals, made to be smarter, bigger, stronger, used as slaves but sometimes they're given a bit too much inteligence and manage to get away so dragons, basiliscs, hellhounds or anything else you  might think of, while, isn't common it also isn't something of a big surprise (though people might stare).

Vice

I've always wanted to play a butch adventuress with a flair for science. An alchemist, an engineer, something like that. Failing that, a lower class woman who dresses as a man to work could be fun.

NikitaFirestar

Going to like women as well...? *Innocent question, whistles innocently*
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Vice

Romance can be so confusing for a girl straddling gender lines in a world of Victorian values...if only someone could offer guidance...  :-*

NikitaFirestar

*Giggles* Interesting to know...

Mindhazingsquid

I should add, common races are pretty much standard D&D middle-high fantasy fare (IE elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, etc...).  Exotic things like demons or angels are negotiable. 
Magic and technology have reached a sort of equilibrium.  Technology is available to anyone who can afford it.  Anyone can learn to use a musket with only a few minutes training (more training if you don't want the chance of it blowing up in your face, hah hah).  Magic is more fickle, anyone can learn a simple hedge trick or two that may or may not work and don't cost anything (like throwing a pinch of salt over your shoulder when you spill it to ward off bad luck) but not everyone can cast fireballs no matter how long they train and study.  It's both more exesable and less.  On every street corner you can buy a charm or googaw that can make you rich, make someone fall in love with you, take away your acne some of the merchants are snake oil sellers and some are honest hedge wizards.  This things cost only money and work about as well as they do in the real world.  That is to say it's a matter of perception.  If you've been single all your life break down and buy a love charm and find your true love, well, was it the charm or was it coincidence?  Maybe buying the charm made you more confident in yourself maybe it really was magic, more to the point if you believe it worked does it matter if it was magic or confidence?  Wands and real magic items are more complicated and dangerous and more expensive but anyone can use them with a simple word or phrase.  Mages don't want people running around casting fireballs or magic missiles willy nilly just as technologists just don't give away barrels of gunpowder.  These are rare and dangerous things.

MadPanda

"I say, old boy, don't you know that real Wizards hang out a shingle and take paying customers?  Rather like solicitors, ha ha, only with more impressive credentials!  This whole...what did you call it?  Ahh, yes.  'Dungeon crawling'.  Sounds perfectly horrible, what?  In which Order do you claim membership, again?"

;D

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Goblinmoon

Ooh I love Steampunk! Was just looking at a main game book for Victoriana.  So count me in!  hmmmm... any idea on scale?  Going into the monarchy etc type stuff? or keep it smaller?

Mindhazingsquid

Quote from: Goblinmoon on December 29, 2006, 06:47:04 PM
Ooh I love Steampunk! Was just looking at a main game book for Victoriana.  So count me in!  hmmmm... any idea on scale?  Going into the monarchy etc type stuff? or keep it smaller?
Well, would you mind if I put you on a reserve list?  When I made this I was thinking like 2-4 or 5 at a max people, now I've got 8 who've said they're interested, four characters of a type (including one of my own).

Goblinmoon

ah well ok... lol I'm sure you'll get more once the full holidays are over. ;D

Mindhazingsquid

Unless someone wants to take over running it, of course.  Hah hah.  Or help me run it.  I'm just not good at managing lots of people and coming up with a complex enough story for lots of people.

Mindhazingsquid

So, are Nalla, Nightbird, Muse, Arander and Caustic making characters?  Are you going to make a more detailed character Vice?

NikitaFirestar

Caustic

I will bow out in favor of others on this one.  Thanks for holding a spot for me...

Goblinmoon, et al... it's all yours.  Have a lovely time--
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Vice

Quote from: mindhazingsquid on December 31, 2006, 01:17:11 AM
So, are Nalla, Nightbird, Muse, Arander and Caustic making characters?  Are you going to make a more detailed character Vice?

Certainly. I wasn't sure if alchemist or engineer would be more appropriate for the setting you have in mind, and what our general options are. Should I PM the character ideas to you, or just post them here?

Mindhazingsquid

Which ever is more convenient for you.  Alchemists and engineers would bother be appropriate.

MadPanda

(raises hand)

Mine's sort of already made, if I'm still welcome hereabouts...

In Memory of Bishrook

Mindhazingsquid

Quote from: MadPanda on December 31, 2006, 01:20:04 PM
(raises hand)

Mine's sort of already made, if I'm still welcome hereabouts...
You and Nikita are the only two I'm the least bit certain about.

MadPanda

Ahhh, okay  ;)  Do we have a game set up, yet?

In Memory of Bishrook

Mindhazingsquid

Not yet, I'll set it up shortly.

NightBird

Quote from: mindhazingsquid on December 31, 2006, 01:17:11 AM

Yep... Will be working on one tomorrow. Tonight got a little muzzy... *chuckles*

Nalla

I'm working on a character now.  She'll probably be a proper lady from an aristocratic family with a thirst for adventure.

Goblinmoon

Yeah muzzy is a good description for the way my head felt after New Years Eve!

I don't want to disturb game balance either.  I'm certainly up for playing but realize that it might not be an option.  Just let me know and I'll create!

MechanicalImpulses

If you have enough space for another character, I'd love to play.  If possible I'd like to give a "Modified Human" a shot.  Think cybernetic but less stream line and a lot more experimental.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8276.0 Ons and offs

Switch with heavy submissive tendencies.

I found my cattleprod!