Recruiting for Young Justice! Post Season 2

Started by LyraTigereyes, May 14, 2014, 06:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 15, 2014, 11:51:47 PM
I think that this has more to do with Season 2 having 20 episodes, rather than 26.  The creators of the show didn't really get to explore a lot of interpersonal dynamics that, in my opinion, made the first season so much more interesting.

But, like you said, I'm also against having the two be in a monogamous relationship from the get-go.  But I am against them never having been in a romantic relationship, but I don't necessarily think that it ought to have been serious.

What do you mean by "serious"?

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 11:58:39 PM
as for implied things between dick and babs, there is one scene that Babs gets a smudge confrontational with Dick as he briefs her team [comprised of all girls] to take on a mission involving Queen Bee. ITs that type of confrontational that exes only would have, at least in my opinion. I cant find the damn clip of it though >.<

I know which scene you're talking about.  To me that's a girl calling a guy on his BS.  That relationship could be best friend or kid sister, or any number of things in between.  It's not long before M'ghann and Bee are joining in, either. 

The way I see the YJ Barbra is basically the only girl in a family of boys.  There's Dick, who she has competed and compared herself against from the beginning.  Jason, who she was likely involved with his training and whom she acted like an older sister to (at least if it was anywhere near the comics).  Tim, who she's obviously got a good relationship with but is also an older sister figure.  And Bruce.  That's a pretty tough family to fit into and she likely learned early on that she couldn't put up with any of their BS.   

That's my 2 cents on that scene.

@CH: By the time the game starts, Connor will have been working with some of the other members of The Team for close to 5 years.  It seems awfully limiting to the RP and your character to toss everyone besides Wally and Dick into the "acquaintance" zone.  These are people he fights beside nearly everyday.  They trust him with their life and he trusts them with his, or at least, that's what I gathered.  I understand your take.  He didn't share much screen time with any of the other characters.  It just seems odd that after years he'd still consider them "acquaintances" and not friends.

Loves

Hello,  I was wondering if Zatanna has been taken?
ON HIATUS AGAIN

apygoos

Plot idea: Red Hood makes his presence known.

KnowThySire

Quote from: Loves on May 16, 2014, 04:28:26 AM

And now we have drama.

*raises his hand highly in favor of Loves playing Zatana*
There can only be one king.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 16, 2014, 12:51:51 AM
On the Nightwing front, I am thinking that Superboy would have gotten over being angry about Nightwing's deception. He genuinely believes that Nightwing had good reason for what he did, and when he got in Nightwing's face about it it was a heat of the moment thing. He will have tried to make amends for that and do what he can to bury any hatchets that need burying. Maybe they are not as close as they were back in the day, but by the time of actual play things between them are solid.

Let's face it -- blowing up Happy Harbor to sell Aqualad's turn was a reprehensible, even if the ruse worked.  Nightwing deeply understands Superboy's position, and doesn't begrudge him for being upset.  In fact, Nightwing is deeply disturbed by his own actions, and is constantly seeking therapy to deal with them.  In his mind, leaders sometimes have to make very hard ethical decisions, and Nightwing believes that Superboy understands that.

Despite his lapse of honesty in his role as the leader of The Team, Dick trusts Superboy implicitly.  He loves Superboy as a brother, and cares for his mental, physical and spiritual well-being.  Despite having matured into a more serious person, Nightwing often says or does things that a younger Dick Grayson might say or do just to cheer Superboy up.

Dick Grayson loves word play, puns and riddles, as well as lingual diction and syntax.  Since Superboy knows every language on earth, I envision Dick Grayson and Superboy as having very long conversations as to why Dick's puns in other languages don't exactly work.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: Loves on May 16, 2014, 04:28:26 AM

No, Zatanna is still open for you to take. I'll put you on the list in the first page

On another note, I'm glad we're hashing all this out and getting things established so there's no confusion. But I also want to keep the game moving forward, so I'll put up the OOC starter thread later today.

There will be two main threads: The Watchtower and The Rec Room. The Watchtower will be for all action and event scenes, and the Rec Room will be for the group public scenes.

Sound like a plan?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 16, 2014, 03:11:39 AM
What do you mean by "serious"?

I know which scene you're talking about.  To me that's a girl calling a guy on his BS.  That relationship could be best friend or kid sister, or any number of things in between.  It's not long before M'ghann and Bee are joining in, either. 

The way I see the YJ Barbra is basically the only girl in a family of boys.  There's Dick, who she has competed and compared herself against from the beginning.  Jason, who she was likely involved with his training and whom she acted like an older sister to (at least if it was anywhere near the comics).  Tim, who she's obviously got a good relationship with but is also an older sister figure.  And Bruce.  That's a pretty tough family to fit into and she likely learned early on that she couldn't put up with any of their BS.   
WWII
t. 
That's my 2 cents on that scene.

I would define serious as a committed, long-term relationship.  Dick is willing to do that -- he very openly loves Barbara.  But it hasn't happened yet.  However, that doesn't preclude them having intense petting sessions.  ;)

I don't agree that Batgirl would call Nightwing out like that just to call him out on his BS.  Nightwing isn't sexist, and the women on the team know that.  He might have been a little protective of Barbara in the beginning, but that was probably a hurdle that they already crossed.  I do not think that this happened because Barb was a girl, but because she was a rookie and, in some part, under his training.  I ultimately feel that the girls really got a kick out of flustering the usually cool and collected Nightwing, and that it added a moment of levity to a very nerve racking situation.

I think that the only scene that actually shows any sort of relationship between them happens in Downtime, I think?  When Dick takes a picture of himself with Artemis at Gotham Academy, Babs seems to me to get a little jealous. 

Babs:  "Who is that, Dick?"
Dick:  "Just a friend, Barbara."

I disagree that the fact that she is a female would make things at the Batcave harder.  This Batman is very open minded, and he doesn't display the same prejudices that he usually displays in other media, and if anything, I feel that things would be easier for her since she has Dick to explain things.  Bruce can be brusque and short, but Dick has developed his burgeoning team skills by this time.  Besides that,
Dick already understands Batman, and gets what his methods are trying to achieve. 

Lastly, I also feel that Dick, post Aqualad's assumption of leadership, has stopped being jealous and openly competitive.  He is a mature team player and a very competent leader.  He would have wanted for Barbara to succeed, and would have been driven to make her better than he is.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Loves

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 09:02:50 AM
No, Zatanna is still open for you to take. I'll put you on the list in the first page

that's awesome  :D 
ON HIATUS AGAIN

KnowThySire

Where should I make my posts, Lyra? The SF does not exactly qualify as the Watchtower. Perhaps one more thread for miscellaneous locations is needed as well.

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 16, 2014, 09:12:33 AM
I would define serious as a committed, long-term relationship.  Dick is willing to do that -- he very openly loves Barbara.  But it hasn't happened yet.  However, that doesn't preclude them having intense petting sessions.  ;)

I'm down with that.

I don't agree that Batgirl would call Nightwing out like that just to call him out on his BS.  Nightwing isn't sexist, and the women on the team know that.  He might have been a little protective of Barbara in the beginning, but that was probably a hurdle that they already crossed.  I do not think that this happened because Barb was a girl, but because she was a rookie and, in some part, under his training.  I ultimately feel that the girls really got a kick out of flustering the usually cool and collected Nightwing, and that it added a moment of levity to a very nerve racking situation.

What I'm saying is that Barbara and Dick have an intimacy, that doesn't have to be physical, that allows her to do things like that without it being personal.  It's like a best friend taking the "wind out of your sails".  It happens.  I've had friendships with guys, who I've never had any physical relationship with, where I would say something like that just to fluster him.  Especially someone who is normally cool and collected.  Yes, it provided levity and that was the whole point.  She got one over on Dick and scored points with the girls.  win-win.

I think that the only scene that actually shows any sort of relationship between them happens in Downtime, I think?  When Dick takes a picture of himself with Artemis at Gotham Academy, Babs seems to me to get a little jealous.

Babs:  "Who is that, Dick?"
Dick:  "Just a friend, Barbara."

Yeah, but she was like 13-14 in that episode and wasn't Batgirl, yet.

I disagree that the fact that she is a female would make things at the Batcave harder.  This Batman is very open minded, and he doesn't display the same prejudices that he usually displays in other media, and if anything, I feel that things would be easier for her since she has Dick to explain things.  Bruce can be brusque and short, but Dick has developed his burgeoning team skills by this time.  Besides that, Dick already understands Batman, and gets what his methods are trying to achieve. 

Lastly, I also feel that Dick, post Aqualad's assumption of leadership, has stopped being jealous and openly competitive.  He is a mature team player and a very competent leader.  He would have wanted for Barbara to succeed, and would have been driven to make her better than he is.

You can disagree all you want, until you've spent time as a female in a business or job that is primarily male populated, you won't understand what I'm talking about.  Batman and Dick don't need to be chauvinistic or prejudice, that has nothing to do with it.  Are you suggesting that things were easier for her than they were for Jason or Tim?  If you are that's a prejudice in itself.  Easier than what Dick went through, to a degree, I'd agree.  However, Dick being #1 and Barb always trying to be just as good, is a key to their early dynamic and eventual friendship.  There are enough "I always beat him" quips by Barb in the YJ comics to make the point.  She's fiercely competitive with him.  He doesn't have to be competitive in return.  I absolutely agree that Dick would want both Barb and Tim to succeed, never said otherwise.  Driving her to be better than he is could easily be seen as friendly competition, never suggested that their competition wasn't friendly.

LyraTigereyes

I agree with Ari that even in the most welcoming and accepting of environments, if there is only one woman with a group of men that are her equals, she feels pressure to prove that she is an equal. It's not anything that the men in question do or say, it's a lingering piece of society as a whole. It's something that affects a woman while she's still young and sees examples of how girls are not the same as boys. Girls play with dolls, boys play with Hot Wheels. Girls pretend to be princesses, boys pretend to be pirates. Even if a girl is encouraged by her parents to do or be or play with whatever she wants, there's still the other girls she socializes with that may not have such support. Gender inequality is more than just a caricature of some businessman from the 50's slapping a secretary on the butt and telling her to make some coffee. There are so many subtle and not-so-subtle ways that society affects how a girl develops into a woman. it has absolutely nothing to so with how supporting the rest of the Bat-family is towards Barbara; and I'm sure in the YJ universe, Bruce & Dick have been very supportive and nurturing of Babs.

A quicker explanation would be that Babs doesn't feel the need to prove to Bruce or Dick that she's their equal; she feels to prove to society that she's the equal of Batman and Nightwing.

apygoos

Quote from: apygoos on May 16, 2014, 05:24:18 AM
Plot idea: Red Hood makes his presence known.
i guess no one is interested in this idea?...
also beyond his thing with Cassie, im open to thoughts or ideas that may have happened in those months . otherwise he would've just been doing his thing with Batman/missions with various team members.

LyraTigereyes

apygoos: No, I like that idea :) That's definitely something we can use as part of the main storyline. Maybe Jason joins the Light with Ra's' patronage. And part of the story in Dick and the others trying to bring Jason back to their side.

apygoos

Tats a neat concept about it, my person thought on it was more a Red Hood and The Outlaws kinda thing, making the more violent and openly feared aspect of vigilante "justice" come about. It would allow for a return of Arsenal anda  few others.

Either way, Jason's return in itself could prompt the return of Dick from Bludhaven. Funny enough, in the "Under the Red Hood" animated film, it was Nightwing that came to town with critical intel for Bruce about this bloody vigilante.
I still remember what Jason did to Tim in Battle for the Cowl...good thing big brother Dick was on the case.  but man Nightwing vs Red Hood was fucking awesome.

KnowThySire

Not going to lie, that Red Hood storyline sounds like a lot of fun. Interested to see what you guys do with that.

As for the whole Nightwing/ Batgirl discussion, just make it easy on yourself, Phantom, and focus more on the friendship between Babara and Dick rather than their nightlife. It's clear that's what Aria wants out of the relationship. For them to actually be friends and not just fuck-buddies from time to time. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me, Aria.

Also, Lyra, would it be alright if when I finally had Wally escape the Speed Force, he becomes a true Flash. Juggs brought it up to me, and I feel it would be a nice reward for the sacrifice he made at the end of the show. Let me know your thoughts.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 16, 2014, 11:07:31 AM
I'm down with that.

Great!

What I'm saying is that Barbara and Dick have an intimacy, that doesn't have to be physical, that allows her to do things like that without it being personal.  It's like a best friend taking the "wind out of your sails".  It happens.  I've had friendships with guys, who I've never had any physical relationship with, where I would say something like that just to fluster him.  Especially someone who is normally cool and collected.  Yes, it provided levity and that was the whole point.  She got one over on Dick and scored points with the girls.  win-win.

I agree that Dick and Babs have this sort of relationship, but I would also posit that Dick has that sort of relationship with a lot of people.

Yeah, but she was like 13-14 in that episode and wasn't Batgirl, yet.

I don't dispute that.

You can disagree all you want, until you've spent time as a female in a business or job that is primarily male populated, you won't understand what I'm talking about.  Batman and Dick don't need to be chauvinistic or prejudice, that has nothing to do with it.  Are you suggesting that things were easier for her than they were for Jason or Tim?  If you are that's a prejudice in itself.  Easier than what Dick went through, to a degree, I'd agree.  However, Dick being #1 and Barb always trying to be just as good, is a key to their early dynamic and eventual friendship.  There are enough "I always beat him" quips by Barb in the YJ comics to make the point.  She's fiercely competitive with him.  He doesn't have to be competitive in return.  I absolutely agree that Dick would want both Barb and Tim to succeed, never said otherwise.  Driving her to be better than he is could easily be seen as friendly competition, never suggested that their competition wasn't friendly.

1.  I rather like Lyra's explanation, and can live with her reasoning.

2.  I never, implicitly or explicitly, stated that Barbara had it easier than Tim or Jason.  Like you said, they all had it easier than Dick -- with the exception of maybe Tim, whose training mostly took place after the death of Jason Todd.

3.  I do not mind if Barbara perceives that there exists a 'friendly' competition between her and Nightwing.  I feel like Nightwing is playful enough to go along with it without taking it seriously.

Quote from: apygoos on May 16, 2014, 11:56:46 AM
Tats a neat concept about it, my person thought on it was more a Red Hood and The Outlaws kinda thing, making the more violent and openly feared aspect of vigilante "justice" come about. It would allow for a return of Arsenal anda  few others.

Either way, Jason's return in itself could prompt the return of Dick from Bludhaven. Funny enough, in the "Under the Red Hood" animated film, it was Nightwing that came to town with critical intel for Bruce about this bloody vigilante.
I still remember what Jason did to Tim in Battle for the Cowl...good thing big brother Dick was on the case.  but man Nightwing vs Red Hood was fucking awesome.

I haven't decided what led Nightwing to return to The Team.  I am not a big fan of the Red Hood, though -- I soured on him because the storyline that initially brought him back was just so bad.

In my mind, Nightwing has spent the last six months operating out of his warehouse hideout in Bludhaven.  He's a social person, and has maintained regular communications with his friends.  The death of Wally West has greatly affected him, and he is currently seeing Black Canary on a regular basis for therapy.  He feels deeply ashamed for withholding information from his friends, despite the fact that his ruse worked.  Despite his absence, he still occasionally visits The Team, and has helped in the transition of leadership.

So, it's not like Nightwing went incommunicado for six months.  He has been present as a moral supporter, and has stepped in whenever he was needed.  He understands that he has responsibilities to The Team, and those manifest themselves in different ways.

On a social level, he's probably dating Bette Kane.  It's nothing serious.

I would like for his relationship with Deathstroke to have advanced considerably, like that in the comics.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 16, 2014, 01:16:35 PM

Also, Lyra, would it be alright if when I finally had Wally escape the Speed Force, he becomes a true Flash. Juggs brought it up to me, and I feel it would be a nice reward for the sacrifice he made at the end of the show. Let me know your thoughts.

Oh, absolutely. I saw that as a given the entire time.

KnowThySire

:o

It was not, but I'm pleased to hear that.

*turns on sewing machine and begins to work on new flash costume*

AribethAmkiir

What if getting KF out of the SF is what brings Dick back?  Maybe Barbara or Tim find an odd unknown frequency.  They could initially believe that it's a remnant signal from the Reach, or something.  But, the more they decipher it the more they begin to believe that it is Wally.  They call Dick, because they know he'd want to know and invite him to help them with it.  After they rescue Wally, Dick rejoins the team?

@TheRomanticPerv: yes, I'd much more prefer something more meaningful than "fuck buddies".  I think the characters deserve a deeper relationship than that.

@Lyra: Thanks.  I appreciate you being able to explain it in a way that he agrees with.

apygoos

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 16, 2014, 01:21:53 PM
Great!

I haven't decided what led Nightwing to return to The Team.  I am not a big fan of the Red Hood, though -- I soured on him because the storyline that initially brought him back was just so bad.

In my mind, Nightwing has spent the last six months operating out of his warehouse hideout in Bludhaven.  He's a social person, and has maintained regular communications with his friends.  The death of Wally West has greatly affected him, and he is currently seeing Black Canary on a regular basis for therapy.  He feels deeply ashamed for withholding information from his friends, despite the fact that his ruse worked.  Despite his absence, he still occasionally visits The Team, and has helped in the transition of leadership.

So, it's not like Nightwing went incommunicado for six months.  He has been present as a moral supporter, and has stepped in whenever he was needed.  He understands that he has responsibilities to The Team, and those manifest themselves in different ways.

On a social level, he's probably dating Bette Kane.  It's nothing serious.

I would like for his relationship with Deathstroke to have advanced considerably, like that in the comics.
If that sullied your views on Jason, what theyre seemingly about to do with Damian Wayne sounds almost like the exact same thing. with the Robin Rising story arc.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
there is only one other Robin that could "return" and thats Steph Brown, which makes no sense as the whole thing thus far has had to do with Damian's missing body.

KnowThySire

Quote from: apygoos on May 16, 2014, 02:52:30 PM
If that sullied your views on Jason, what theyre seemingly about to do with Damian Wayne sounds almost like the exact same thing. with the Robin Rising story arc.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
there is only one other Robin that could "return" and thats Steph Brown, which makes no sense as the whole thing thus far has had to do with Damian's missing body.
I think I'd die laughing if that was the outcome.

@Ari: That'd be a different way for Wally to come back than I had planned, but I'd be for it.

AribethAmkiir

Not sure what the current plan is, but maybe we can incorporate the two or figure out a way for Dick's return to be tied into Wally's rescue.  *shrugs*  Really depends on other people's opinions and what the group feels would be the most interesting story.

Juggtacular

It'd be awesome if we had a Tigress for Wally's return.

LyraTigereyes

Okay, so how's this for an opening event?

The PC's, including Nightwing up for a visit, are on the Watchtower when an alert breaks out. A temporal surge has been detected in Antarctica (I think that's where Wally left, going to re-watch Season 2 again soon). The team piles into the Super-Cycle, which has been shown to carry about this many before, and goes to investigate. When they arrive, they find the Light's junior team (Mammoth, Shimmer, Jinx, Gizmo, Psimon) already on the scene, being lead by a new figure: Red Hood. The fight starts up, Gizmo has a device set up to try and capture the energy from the surge, and that's what pulls Wally back from the Speed Force.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 03:28:58 PM
Okay, so how's this for an opening event?

The PC's, including Nightwing up for a visit, are on the Watchtower when an alert breaks out. A temporal surge has been detected in Antarctica (I think that's where Wally left, going to re-watch Season 2 again soon). The team piles into the Super-Cycle, which has been shown to carry about this many before, and goes to investigate. When they arrive, they find the Light's junior team (Mammoth, Shimmer, Jinx, Gizmo, Psimon) already on the scene, being lead by a new figure: Red Hood. The fight starts up, Gizmo has a device set up to try and capture the energy from the surge, and that's what pulls Wally back from the Speed Force.

I like the idea, but I would like for the game to start RIGHT when Wally gets pulled back.  Otherwise, whoever is playing Wally's going to sit around for, like, a month.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O