News:

Main Menu

Fugly Buglies?

Started by Spookie Monster, July 15, 2008, 06:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Oklahoma Ugly Bug Home Page is filled with bugs' mugshots.  This guy, for example, is apparently a Mole Cricket:

Cool.

Though most people probably do consider the various bugs to be downright ugly, I myself actually find many of them rather beautiful.  (Not in the way that Catherine Schell is beautiful, of course, but in the way that, say, a coral reef or the surface of Mars is beautiful.)  Take a look and see what you think! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

The Overlord

If I'm going to employ an adjective here, I'd go for amazing. Amazing that these little constructs exist, one of the most prolific and successful classes of life on the planet.

Also fortunate; fortunate that the laws of physics pretty much prohibit their exoskeleton design from existing on our scale...which would be horrifying.

Spookie Monster

Quote from: The Overlord on July 19, 2008, 03:44:36 AMIf I'm going to employ an adjective here, I'd go for amazing. Amazing that these little constructs exist, one of the most prolific and successful classes of life on the planet.

Also fortunate; fortunate that the laws of physics pretty much prohibit their exoskeleton design from existing on our scale...which would be horrifying.

Indeed!  That said, land-based arthropods can get at least as big as the coconut crab.  Perhaps in some deep, dark jungle a belligerent land-based arthropod the size of a coconut crab exists...

With regard to water-based arthropods... well, let's not forget the newly-discovered Jaekelopterus rhenaniae.  Yikes.

Thanks for the reply, The Overlord! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Trieste

A bug that's bigger than me? O noes. :o

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Trieste on July 23, 2008, 09:32:06 AMA bug that's bigger than me? O noes. :o

Well, to be fair, the scientists are basing this on the fossil that they discovered of the creature's claw.  As you and I were discussing in Which Fish? #2, it can be dangerous to infer too much from a single specimen.  Maybe the creature existed exactly as described; maybe it actually looked like Keith Richards with claws and flew through the air singing an early rendition of "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Most likely the scientists have a few details wrong, including, possibly, those details relating to its size.  Nonetheless, the fossil does represent a claw that was eighteen inches long, which is monstrous enough to get my attention regardless of exactly how big the creature that sported it was.  I mean, if a creature's sharp parts are bigger than my soft parts, I walk in the other direction.

Or swim, as the case may be.

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Trieste

Quote from: Spel on July 29, 2008, 05:34:23 PM
[...] maybe it actually looked like Keith Richards with claws and flew through the air singing an early rendition of "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Ahahaha... I laughed loudly enough at this one that I made my neighbour (who was just coming in from work) jump and kind of stare at me through the (open, because it is hot) window.

I was laughing too hard to explain, but I think my neighbours are used to it by now. :D

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Trieste on July 29, 2008, 05:37:05 PMAhahaha... I laughed loudly enough at this one that I made my neighbour (who was just coming in from work) jump and kind of stare at me through the (open, because it is hot) window.

I was laughing too hard to explain, but I think my neighbours are used to it by now. :D

Awesome.  I'm pleased! ;D

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

TheAnimeFanGirl

Oh God, those are so creepy. If anyone knows me, then they know that I'm a severe scaredy-cat when it comes to certain bugs. The only bugs I'll accept are butterflies, caterpillars, pill bugs, and worms (possibly aphids too). Any other bugs, and I'll be running and screaming.
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

Spookie Monster

Quote from: TheAnimeFanGirl on August 22, 2008, 01:59:39 AMOh God, those are so creepy. If anyone knows me, then they know that I'm a severe scaredy-cat when it comes to certain bugs. The only bugs I'll accept are butterflies, caterpillars, pill bugs, and worms (possibly aphids too). Any other bugs, and I'll be running and screaming.

You actually seem quite tolerant to me!  Although many people do find butterflies and caterpillars cute, most can't stand pill bugs and worms.

By the way, did you know that pill bugs have some rather large aquatic relatives?

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Trieste

See... see, this is why I don't eat lobster whole. Because, to me, they look like that. Blech.

TheAnimeFanGirl

Oh my God... That thing is SO GROSS!

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

Trieste

Well, it's kinda cool from the perspective of you can see the segmenting and legs and whatnot very clearly... I mean, usually pill bugs are pretty dirty and you can't see all of that stuff. Being able to hose the thing off and look at them without the danger of washing away the specimen itself is pretty damned cool. That and holy huge carapace, Batman! So awesome.

I'm just not about to eat it, personally.

ZK

Doesn't look gross to me. But then again, I am more resilient when it comes to bugs... owning rental homes (often in disrepair due to bad tenet) opened me up to many buggies.

And come on, you got to love the lobster. She does:

On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

TheAnimeFanGirl

Lobsters aren't that bad, since they're not considered bugs. They're crustaceans, I believe.

ZK

Still considered in the same family of spiders and such. They're still aquatic bugs in my account. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it's nice and tasty... as well safe for me to eat when it comes to bug looking things. ^.^

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

TheAnimeFanGirl

I don't eat bugs of any kind (too gross to look at). The only thing I eat that looks even the slightest bit like a bug is shrimp (only when they're cooked, and it's just the inside).

Ket

Not so fugly buglies...in my opinion

Jewel Spiders

Scroll down for some awesome photos. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

TheAnimeFanGirl

Those look like spiders mixed with crabs. I like the colors, but spiders still creep me out.

Ket

When I first came in contact with them last year in Key West, I was told they were called crab spiders. 

But evidently the crab spider is something totally different.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Ket

Of course, there is always the Happy Face Spider of the Hawaiian Islands.

I have an odd thing with spiders.  In my house, they've signed their own suicide note.  And I'm crazily afraid of walking near or underneath webs.  But I adore looking at pictures of them and can even handle larger species of spiders (such as tarantulas) with no problem. 

TheAnimeFanGirl

Eeek!

That happy face one is kinda cute (only the butt is cute. The rest is gross).

Trieste

Quote from: Ket on August 25, 2008, 08:04:40 PM
But evidently the crab spider is something totally different.

Oh, Ket! The white one with the red markings on the purple flower is just beautiful! That's awesome!

Anime! Stop clicking on a thread about bugs if you don't like them! :P Tch... mark it read instead.

Ket

She is gorgeous isn't she?

What amazes me in those photos is that most of them are eating other bugs 3 times their size.  As creepy as they are, spiders are amazing creatures.

TheAnimeFanGirl

Sorry. If there were pretty buggies, then I'd post something good about them.

ZK

People scare this chinchi more then bugs. *squeaks*