What's cooking?

Started by Kalen, April 01, 2008, 06:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicNeverDies

Cecilia

kidney bean and peanut butter stew.....a greens gratin......eggplant with peanut dressing.....

Madriv

Quote from: Cecilia on September 21, 2008, 08:49:00 PMkidney bean and peanut butter stew.....a greens gratin......eggplant with peanut dressing.....

All right, lady, give up your recipes.

As for me, I just ate half a leftover Cuban sandwich.  :P

Paradox

Pot roast stewed in its own juices, scallop potatoes in a creamy white sauce of milk, flour, celery. Collard greens bought from a local farmer, slathered in delicious hot sauce (I'm supposed to be cutting back on the hot sauce, but damnit, it's Sunday and that's a good enough excuse for me). Honey wheat bread with low-fat butter, a scrumptious fruit salad with pineapple, mandarin oranges, and cherries in a whipped cream kind of sauce.

Pardon my profanity, but it was fucking fantastic.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Cecilia

Quote from: Madmartigan on September 21, 2008, 08:53:45 PM
All right, lady, give up your recipes.

As for me, I just ate half a leftover Cuban sandwich.  :P

Okay...(And I love Cuban sandwiches!  Yum...Have to make them at home though as no one around here sells them...)

Kidney Bean and PB Stew--from Madhur Jaffrey  (THE QUEEN of Vegetarian and Indian cuisine...)
1.5 cups dried kidney beans, soaked and cooked, or canned beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, diced small
1/2 green pepper, diced small
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
8 oz. tomato sauce
1.5 tblsp peanut butter

Saute onion, pepper and garlic in a little olive oil  til onion and pepper are translucent but not browned..
Add Cumin and saute until the spice is toasted and fragrant.  Add tomato sauce and let sauce simmer for a while...(we also added fresh tomatoes from the garden and it was really yummy)  Mix the peanut butter with warm water until it is smooth and creamy and no longer clumps--you'll know you have the right texture when it sort of evens out.....this is 4-6 tablespoons of water depending on how oily your peanut butter is..We use an unsweetened organic brand that is nothing but peanut butter...Let the sauce simmer a few minutes, add the prepared cooked beans and let the whole simmer for ten-fifteen minutes.  Great with a crusty bread, though we don't eat much wheat these days.

The Greens Gratin..(off the cuff actually)

Go to your garden and cut enough greens to fill a large colander--or buy a couple of bunches at the store
we used rainbow chard last night and it was delicious.  Remove stems, chop fine and braise with a little onion. 
While the greens cook, crack some eggs into a bowl and add some milk...(I think I used about four eggs and about 1/2 cup of soy milk) regular milk or soy works...Grate some nutmeg, add a pinch of cinnamon, healthy grindings of pepper and salt...Add the greens to the egg mixture and and put in a baking dish--like a pie plate--and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for a while...uhm...about 15-20 minutes?  or until set.  Sorry, this is about as technical as I can get when I make things up....

The Eggplant is also easy: (From the Africa New Cookbook)
cut up eggplant (1 large, 2 medium, or several smaller) into cubes, salt and let drain for half an hour, dry off.
Saute the eggplant in olive oil until browned, let drain.  Chill
Meanwhile, make dressing...juice of one lemon, a clove of garlic--minced or pressed, 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper,  and 1/4 cup (plus or minus) of peanuts--finely chopped or ground. (I use one of those funky things you wham up and down to cut stuff...) Mix the dressing and add to the eggplant...

Madriv

Quote from: Cecilia on September 22, 2008, 01:47:24 PMOkay...

Take me home and feed me?  *makes big, hungry, Puss-in-Boots eyes*

Teriyaki chicken & broccoli seems so boring in comparison...

Greenthorn

Ummm Chicken Helper chicken fried rice!

*laughs*

Cecilia

Quote from: Madmartigan on September 22, 2008, 04:48:30 PM
Take me home and feed me?  *makes big, hungry, Puss-in-Boots eyes*

*Ladles up a bowl and passes it over*  Eat up!  It's yummy in the tummy.

My latest meal, was at uhm.... Wendy's...not gourmet, but much appreciated by the birthday boy.

Lilias

It's a special day (don't ask, it's much more prosaic than you think), so it's going to be tea with scones, jam and cream after work, and a late spag bol dinner.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

celestia

Chix and dumplings in the crock pot at home. It's always such a pleasure to come home on a cold day to the wonderful smell of something cooking.

Josietta

butter and honey toast and vanilla chai tea  ((wants eggs too but is out :( ))

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Greenthorn

I had blueberry pancakes this morning...and ordering pizza tonight ;D

Madriv

Comfort food: tuna noodle casserole.

Dawg

Bowtie Pasta lightly drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil a mixed with freshly graded parmesan cheese and steamed broccoli
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Lilias

Swedish meatballs and oven chips. Even domestic goddesses get lazy.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kalen

... well, cool.

Sweet and sour meatballs, on white rice.  And stuffing, for some reason I can't fathom, but am not questioning

Madriv

theLeslie

ooh soft tacos.  yums.

I am making Taco Pie tomorrow, which makes me a very very happy Leslie.  For those who can not imagine, Taco Pie is my constant and failed attempt to make nachos.  Always end up needing a fork to eats them..  so Taco Pie it is!

Kalen

You should buy the Soft Taco Bake kit from Old El Paso... it's stunningly good!

theLeslie

Kalen

hmm.

Good stare... bad stare... why does this guy keep helping me up and putting me on trees stare?

theLeslie

Kalen

Quote from: theLeslie on September 26, 2008, 12:40:34 AM
love...  mexican food..

In that case... give it a shot.  *kisses your hand, steadies you on your feet, and heads out*

Madriv

Josietta

its mexican night in the E! 

Chalupas and Rice for me!

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!