[Closed--PCs chosen] Changeling the Dreaming: Duchy of Storms [System][BON]

Started by Blythe, February 05, 2018, 05:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Edit/Note: Deadline! I have made my final PC selections & am not currently recruiting.

Making a recruitment thread based on some feedback here! Preference will be given to those I noticed in that thread, as a heads up. I think I am willing to GM a game of Changeling the Dreaming. To play, please read the worldbuilding thread here!

To pull from one important post, though, this is what you need to know to play:

• You need this book. I'm using the 20th anniversary rules. I might allow content from previous edition books, if I own them, but if I do not own a book that you want to use content from, the answer will always be 'no.'
  • Create a character as per the rulebook. You do not start with any extra EXP.
  • You do not have to have your PC originally be from the Duchy of Storms; they could have just arrived! If anything, this creates a great hook for me to give your character something to do. Or if you want your PC to be from the Duchy, that is also okay.
  • Starting date for the game, IC-time, is January 1st, 2018, if that helps to know for creating your character.
  • Massive patience with me, please? I have literally never run/played this before, but I am eager to have it go well. I am always open to positive feedback in PMs about ways to make things better. But please do be patient with me as I adjust and learn the game properly! You'll notice the NPC section in the world building thread was really sparse! I hope the populate this setting with characters tied to your PCs!
  • All characters should be 18+, please.
  • LGBTQA content welcome.
  • You should be open to crossgender writers and willing to write with them (Lords writing female characters, Ladies writing male characters, Lieges writing characters that don't match their gender identity, Legates writing any character gender). This is for my own sanity for a small group & as a Liege myself. It's hard for me to cater to RL writer gender preferences in a small group game, so I won't be. It's nothing personal.
  • All Kithain and Nunnehi types are playable. If you want to play something else, you'll have to inquire, but I'm likely to say no. I think I'm being quite open with character-types I'm allowing as-is.
  • I don't have a set minimum posting rate or posting length requirement, but if you vanish on me for two weeks without notice, I'll mark you inactive or ask you to step out of the game. I reserve the right to take control of your character as an NPC if this happens. If you are not okay with this, I don't advise playing. I would be very respectful of your character and would just be looking to write them out of any ongoing scenes, just for continuity's sake.
  • Erotic content will be kept to its own thread. I haven't decided on a rating for this game. I was thinking perhaps Bondage - Exotic small groups? Either way, I'll ask people tag erotic content accordingly if there's something in there that might squick another player.
  • All dice rolls must be made with Elliquiy's Dicebot and sent to my ID, which is 42233.
  • I encourage an atmosphere of civility and respect at all times. If you have a dispute with another player, please try to handle it privately. If you can't resolve it, please PM me.
  • I will use a post tagging system for IC threads. All posts will need to use this tagging system, if only because at times not every PC will be with the group! :)
  • Character sheets should use the format I've laid out and be submitted to me via the interest check. :)
I will keep recruitment open two weeks or until I feel I have a 'full' roster of accepted characters. I'm roughly looking for about 4 - 6 players. I might be able to be flexible on those numbers, depending on a few circumstances.

The character sheet format is available in the world building thread. Please submit sheets to this interest check thread.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have. If you run into any trouble with the BBCode for the sheet, just holler, I'm sure I can help! I'm incredibly new at GMing this or even playing it, so questions are always okay. If anything, it means I'll have to look up info and learn something!

Thorne

*plants flag, trots off to acquire and page through the book*
PDF is a wonderful thing......
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Kolbrandr

The setting's not really to my personal taste, but as someone that's run a lot of Changeling, I figured it would still be worth a quick note before you crash into this in game instead and get headaches:

I would recommend from my own experience to keep a bit of an eye as a GM on the whole unleashing power that was added in C20, and just as advice to players themselves to show some personal restraint with it to better sustain the lifespan of a game. It wasn't the most firmly thought out idea and various examples of its use from the book range from everything from using an entire neighbourhood as a weapon, to resurrecting the recently dead, to time travel into the relatively immediate past, to removing the memory of a day from the entire world, to group teleportation to wherever, to what reads like instakilling people. It impacts the real world just fine at that.

Basically stuff can devolve into "whosoever successfully unleashes first wins at whatever thing they wanted to happen within the thematic bounds of their unleashing ability", it carries some drawbacks, but they're not exactly enough to really discourage going for it, and even "an uncontrolled success" can verge on "well, hold on while I rethink the plotline.." all in a roll. C20 also removed countermagic, so even theoretically resisting it is kinda out the window.

Like I can see why they did it? It certainly makes Changelings considerably more powerful than before, and in theory the idea is that it's a risky yet mighty option to briefly touch the ancient fae power of old and what have you. The execution however has problems and there's not really going to be much in the way of guidelines for it until the C20 player's guide, by my understanding. On the one hand they give an example of using it for some desperate risky escape mass teleportation thing. On the other hand... all the other stuff I noted. It's not exactly clear what if any limitations there are beyond "the themes of the power you are unleashing". And yet if you outright remove it you kinda rob the game of something the writers wanted to play a considerable role in it.

Essentially it's just something that before any given game starts, the players and GM should have a bit of a talk on how they see it and how they're cool to see it go in play. Otherwise it can lead to arguments in game about any given unleashing. 

Muse

I'd love to play, Blythe. 

I'll finish reading up tomorow and pitch some basic ideas around in here.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Eobelle

Blythe

I'm quite open to the opinions of players interested in joining about how to handle Unleashings of course, but I'm likely to work with players to ensure an Unleashing 'fits' a given scene. I'm sure everyone will want to tell a great story and will want to be sure things fit or work, and I know I trust players to want to work together and not abuse Unleashings. I generally trust folks to be mature. (From a GM standpoint, I don't mind periodically having to be like "well, let me rethink some plotline." That's the way the dice roll sometimes! I'm good at improv, at any rate!)

And Thorne, Muse, and Eobelle, happy to see you all here in the thread! Glad that you are all interested. Please do feel free to toss around concepts or ideas, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. (I'm always willing to do my best to answer! Just means I gotta read through more of this lovely book!  ;D )

HairyHeretic

I haven't read the book in ages to see what's available, but I'll likely go seelie Troll
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Blythe

Hiya, Hairy, and welcome! Seelie Troll sounds like a fine choice to me! ^^

Eobelle

OMG, I love this setting! I was thinking of a martial artist/stripper Leanhaun Sidhe... probably has a massive crush on Gabriella Cox too.  I'm thinking she came to the duchy of storms relatively recently SPECIFICALLY because the wanted to meet Gabriella and fight by her side. 

Blythe

Quote from: Eobelle on February 07, 2018, 01:06:27 AM
OMG, I love this setting! I was thinking of a martial artist/stripper Leanhaun Sidhe... probably has a massive crush on Gabriella Cox too.  I'm thinking she came to the duchy of storms relatively recently SPECIFICALLY because the wanted to meet Gabriella and fight by her side. 

That'd work wonderfully as a concept! :-)

Sparrowhawke

*Gently touches the thread*

I would have to aquire the book and have a look as I have not done changeling before but have been real interested in it

Blythe

Hooray, more interest!

And newcomers to the system are totally welcome. I myself am new to it, so it'd be super hypocritical if I wasn't open to others new to it. Just means people get to learn along with me. ^^;

Nadir

I am thinking about mebbe a pooka

though I am still reading about all the new things~

Sparrowhawke

I am sort of interested in the Sluagh *shifty eyes* quiet goth

Blythe

Pooka & Slaugh would fit just fine in this sort of game. :)

marauder13

Bly, you is a bad, bad man.

I have a Seelie-ish Redcap that I would love to take out for a spin again. He would definitely not be a local.

Colour me interested.

TheLaughingOne

I am tempted to bring back my Coyote Pooka, as love playing her!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheLaughingOne

OK! here is my sheet! hope its ok...

~ Character Sheet Format ~

Name:    Lilisa LanglyPlayer: The Laughing One
Chronicle:   The Duchy of StormsMotley: ---
Court:   SeelieSeeming: Wilder
Legacies:   Wayfarer/Fool   Kith: Pooka
House:   ? ? ?   EXP Spent: 0 EXP

Physical       Social       Mental
Strength:   ●●●●○Charisma: ●●●○○   Perception:●●●○○
Dexterity:   ●●●○○Manipulation: ●●○○○   Intelligence:●●○○○
Stamina:   ●●●○○   Appearance: ●●●○○   Wits:●●●○○

Talents       Skills       Knowledges
Alertness:   ●○○○○Animal Ken: ●○○○○   Academics:○○○○○
Athletics:   ●●○○○Crafts: Metal Working ●●●○○   Computer:○○○○○
Brawl:   ●○○○○   Drive: ○○○○○   Enigmas:●●○○○
Empathy:   ○○○○○   Etiquette: ○○○○○   Gremayre:●●○○○
Expression:   ●○○○○   Firearms: ○○○○○   Investigation:●○○○○
Intimidation:   ●○○○○   Larceny: ○○○○○   Law:○○○○○
Kenning:   ●●○○○   Melee: ●●○○○   Medicine:○○○○○
Leadership:   ○○○○○   Performance: Singing ●●●○○   Politics:○○○○○
Streetwise:   ●○○○○   Stealth: ●●○○○   Science:○○○○○
Subterfuge:   ●○○○○   Survival: ●●○○○   Technology:○○○○○

Backgrounds       Arts       Realms
Resources:   ●●○○○Dragon's Coyote's Ire: ●○○○○   Actor:●○○○○
Retinue:   ●○○○○Wayfare: ●●○○○   Fae:●○○○○
Chimera:   ●●●○○   ? ? ?: ○○○○○   Prop:●●○○○
Holding:   ●○○○○   ? ? ?: ○○○○○   Scene:○○○○○
? ? ?:   ○○○○○   ? ? ?: ○○○○○   Time:●○○○○

Glamour:   ●●●●● ○○○○○Willpower: ●●●●○ ○○○○○   Nightmare:○○○○○ ○○○○○Banality:●●●○○ ○○○○○

Birthright:
Shapechanging — All pooka have an affinity with a particular animal. This is always a natural animal, never a mythological one. This animal affects her appearance and personality, and she is able to shapeshift into the animal at will. If completely alone, a pooka can shapechange for free, but if another changeling or enchanted mortal is present the change costs one Glamour. A pooka can never shift into an animal when being observed by a mundane mortal. Shifting back from animal form is always free and can be done at any time (again, as long as the pooka is unobserved by mortal eyes).

Confidante — Even complete strangers often spill their guts to a pooka. This ability of getting people to open up and talk, even about their darkest secrets, is an innate talent common to all pooka. Each has his own way of going about it, but the end result is the same. Some put people off balance with mixed insults and compliments, others rapid fire questions so fast that the target loses track of what is being said, and some are just so darned cute that no one can resist them.
Once, during a conversation, a pooka’s player may make an opposed Perception + Empathy (or Subterfuge, player’s choice) roll resisted by the target’s Willpower, to get the answer to a question. The number of successes determines how many questions the pooka can have answered. The target can also spend Willpower to resist this effect; each point of Willpower cancels one of the pooka’s successes.

Frailty:
Untruths: Perhaps the greatest con the pooka have pulled is making everyone believe that they never tell the truth. Under most circumstances a pooka can speak the truth as long as its mixed with lies, half-truths, and exaggerations. The trouble comes when a pooka is asked a direct question. A pooka who is asked a direct question must answer with a falsehood. If he wishes to answer truthfully the player must make a Willpower roll (difficulty 8) and spend a point of Willpower.

Antithesis:

Health:
RealLevel Chimerical
[ ]Bruised[ ]
[ ]Hurt (-1)[ ]
[ ]Injured (-1)[ ]
[ ]Wounded (-2)[ ]
[ ]Mauled (-2)[ ]
[ ]Crippled (-5)[ ]
[ ]Incapacitated[ ]

Merits & Flaws

Merits

Voice of a Songbird (2pt. Merit) The satyrs say your voice could charm apples from the trees. You have perfect pitch and can sing a cappella without missing a single note or going off key. Even when only speaking, your voice has a seductive quality that attracts people to you. Whenever you make a roll that involves inspirational speaking or singing, you are at a –2 difficulty.
Master Craftsman (3pt. Merit) When designing, building, or repairing something, the difficulty of your rolls is reduced by two. Additionally, you require three fewer successes on any extended rolls required when working on large or complex projects.

Flaws
Curiosity (2pt. Flaw) You’re a naturally curious person, your curiosity easily overriding your common sense. To resist temptation, make a Willpower roll. The difficult varies based on the temptation; difficulty 5 for simple things like, “I wonder what’s in the armoire,” but difficulty 9 for things like, “I wonder why young men keep going missing around the baron’s freehold. I’ll just slip in and check it out.”
Short Fuse (2pt. Flaw) The slightest provocation against you or one of your close companions compels you to lash out with fists, feet, or whatever comes to hand. When incited, you must make a Willpower roll to compose yourself, with the difficulty decided upon by the Storyteller based on the severity of the insult.
Changeling’s Eyes (1pt. Flaw) Your eyes are a startling color, maybe emerald green, violet, or yellow. This is a sign you are a changeling, recognizable to those who know the ancient lore. (Molten Gold colored)

Freebie Points:

Apperance: 5pts
Charisma: 5pts
Streetwise: 2pts
Freehold: 1pt
Resources: 1pt

Personality: Happy, bubbly, and at times a little incoherent. Lilisa embraces her Coyote heritage, or at least claims she does, and then makes up exactly what that "heritage" means. Quick of wit, fleet of foot, and amazingly strong for such a wiry girl. She tends to have trouble ignoring curious little things going on around her, and Fiercely protective of her friends and family. Her second greatest joys is working her little forge crafting jewelry and trinkets in the real world, weapons and armor in the Fae world. Her Absolute favorite is exploring to find materials to craft these items, even if its just going to local market and bartering.

History: Lilisa Langly is a Pooka of some minor renown, mainly in how she tends to tell stories that some find unbelievable even for a pooka, but a good note towards her work in jewelry making in the real world, and construction of Chimerical objects in the Fae world. Claiming she is the daughter of a Troll, and the daughter of the Nez Perce god Coyote, she is a well noted crafts person for her work. She moved to Oklahoma recently after inheriting a small house holding a tiny freehold in lieu of payment from a noble that commissioned her for a special suit of armor and arms. Having packed up her tiny shop and few items she arrives in town with eye set for adventure..

Accompanying her is her dog, a giant melanistic Tibetan Mastiff (Tsang-Khyi) she calls Woofs (due to the fact his actual name, Shuck, causes some Fae discomfort and nervousness). A giant stoic beast that endures her shenanigans, provided she is generous with table scraps, ear scratches, and playing with the hose.

Woofs stats placeholder!!
Attributes: Strength 4, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3,
Perception 3, Intelligence 2, Wits 3
Abilities: Alertness 3, Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Survival (Tracking) 3 [Empathy 2, Intimidation 3, Stealth 2]
Willpower: 5
Health Levels: OK, -1, -1, -2, -2, -5,Incapacitated
Attack: Bite for five dice; claw for four dice

nonsense!
Skills:
Sad Pupper Eyes: 2
Sniff: 3
Bork: 5
Nap: 7
Fetch: 4
Give: -10
Drool: 5
Telling if you actually threw the ball or just acted like it: -2
Dog Farts: (Silent): 5
Sigh: 10

My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Blythe

Let me look up your critter question and get back to you soon!

'Freehold' Background is called 'Holdings' in C20--might want to edit to fix that. ^^

TheLaughingOne

Squee! And Fixed!

Side note:

The boy who cried wolf was a pooka. Wolf pooka to be precise. He kept looking in the river while watching the sheep and saw his ears and tail and everything, and would call to the village to warn them of a wolf, and each time they got angry and punished him and wouldnt feed him, until he got so hungry the wolf took over and he ate the sheep, at which point the village punished him heavily, and he learned to not tell the truth as it will get you hurt...
My Ons and Offs!

Blythe

Hmmm. The book does not say, but I'm super open to this idea, if only because I love the idea of a fae-doggo.

Given that the book said Autumn People could even be enchanted with enough work, I really feel that adorable doggo is not too far-fetched. We just might have to stat Woofs and do a bit of flavor changing for any bestowments Woof has.  :D

TheLaughingOne

SSSSQQQQUUUUEEEE!!

I am ready and excited for whenever you are!!!
My Ons and Offs!

Blythe

I'll get a PM sent your way some time today with a rough draft of Woof's stats. :)

Though to be clear, I haven't accepted anyone into the game formally just yet (too early). I won't be selecting my final roster until two weeks is fully up or until I see enough sheets that I want for a full party. ^^

Blythe

Quote from: marauder13 on February 08, 2018, 11:43:29 PM
Bly, you is a bad, bad man.

I have a Seelie-ish Redcap that I would love to take out on a spine again. He would definitely not be a local.

Colour me interested.

Also, welcome, M13! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!