GLADIATOR! (Re-Interest check-Doctore needed!)

Started by bubby, February 26, 2011, 11:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubby

I need a Doctore for my already established game!

This group game has quite a few players, so I need someone willing and capable of keeping up with posts, as when this game gets going it moves quickly, and posts are frequent and can be confusing.

I also need someone willing and capable of keeping themselves and their char going with no outside prompting, one who will keep up with the game on their own, and keep their char flowing on their own.

This is the IC thread link to peruse and get a feel for the RP, and hopefully spark your interest!

Ironwolf85

I'd enjoy helping, being a gamer nut I could enjoy this
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Primarch

I'm up for a Spartacus inspired Sword & Sandal game.

LadyDiscord

Game! I've been wanting to start one!
Join my village and make money.
✔✦✘

Senti

Just watched Centurion which offers ideas.

bubby

Well YAY! We got us a start then. Do any of you, along with Ironwolf, know how to start doing this then? I -really- have no clue, I just have the idea. I have no clue where to start the RP, though I know it will have sex and blood/fighting. I dn't even know how to make the page where you put the idea up, like what characters people could play, 'where' and 'when' te RP is,etc. I truely need help...

Ironwolf85

usually determine the amount of fantasy allowed, the type and amount of sex, and then simply click new topic.
of course coming up with character sheets helps, as does a base discription of the world in question
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

adifferenceinsize

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on February 27, 2011, 01:39:53 PM
usually determine the amount of fantasy allowed, the type and amount of sex, and then simply click new topic.
of course coming up with character sheets helps, as does a base discription of the world in question
That's certainly a good starting set of questions. I have a couple others that I think can go a long way toward helping define the sort of game people are after.

1) What does "Spartacus"-like mean? If we're going by the show, that implies a similar scenario to it, gladiators set up within the house along with other slaves; for a larger game, perhaps there are even multiple  houses in the city, giving multiple layers of plot (owners' machinations, the intrigues within the houses, the arena itself, etc.). If instead we're going more by the movie or historical thrust of his story, then we're talking about a slave rebellion; in that case, the story is more about the war and its fallout. Either we'd focus on one side, dealing with its successes, problems, and consequences, or have an ambitious GM to oversee some cross-faction play between the two sides and facilitate the execution of the war.

2) Are we using a rule system or free-forming it? Normally, I'd say free form would be totally fine. However, if the exploits in the arena are going to translate to anything in the game, at least those characters should need some mechanical meat upon their narrative skeleton. Even if free forming, we may need to negotiate some sort of system to handle a few things. Namely, who's in charge and which characters get to be more of the 'big dick swinging' in the group. Having a Crixsus and a Spartacus vying for the top spot is good tension, but having every gladiator being a true paragon of the arena will be pretty silly.

If I didn't have a full time job that's calling for overtime now, I'd offer my services to manage this game, but I am interested in playing and would gladly help however possible. I happen to be an amateur Roman history buff, so I can help with cultural matters as well as the possibility of using fantastic elements which fit appropriately with the beliefs and myths of the people of that time, Roman and otherwise.

bubby

You are my hero adifferenceinsize, for your good questions, and it's just my luck that you can't GM. That's what is needed is a GM because I have NO CLUE how to be one.

I was thinking more of basing it off the show, because that could indeed open up the possibilities of more expanded RP. And yes I want it to be free-form, with yes...a bit of 'management'. If you or anyone is willing to be the GM, with me as a...I suppose 'minor' GM? assistant GM? let me know. I am willing and wanting to learn just how to GM, plus I am eager to make this RP idea a reality.

Ironwolf85

I've been wanting to do somthing roman, but I've never watched more than the first episode

bubby

Ok..these are characters I've figured out would be needed for this RP

Lanista
Lanista's wife
children of above?
Gladiators
Gladiatrix(I will be playing this role, the only one, yes I am special!)
Slaves-male and female
Important/rich Roman people, seeking of course to hire/bet on Gladiators(this could expand the RP more to other families and such)

Now.. an example char sheet..
(post a picture)
Name
Place of birth
Physical (height, hair color, eye color)
Personality
History

If this works for people, post what characters you would be willing to play, and I guess is would be a first come first serve on certain characters, like Lanista and wife and such. As for content of the actual RP once it starts, I really expect effort. Though I realize sometimes ones muse tends to go on strike, and we all can sometimes make short posts, I don't want it to be the norm. I abhor weak posts.

I hope this helps get things rolling!

adifferenceinsize

Good start so far. One part you've missed is the instructor, if you're following along with the show's setup. This could be subsumed by the lanista role, however, if he was to be a former gladiator who bought his freedom and started his own school.

In fact, screw it. I'm calling the lanista role. Going with that premise, that makes it likely we'll be posted in somewhere relatively remote from the central peninsula. This also puts our time line after the events of Spartacus. I'll have to review some stuff to pin down the time and place, but I think putting us in the outskirts to begin gives a lot of room for growth and encourages ambition.

bubby

PearlRuby

Expressing my interest also. Unfortunately I too don't really have the time or experience to GM.
Depending on the age of the Lanista couple, I might choose a daughter character or settle for humble slave. Still pondering and waiting for these ooc comments to develop the idea in general.

My two cents: Having recently watched Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, I think a good plot-hook would be a Ludus that is desperately trying to climb the arena ranks, therefore resulting in less 'clean' deals to win favour/respect, etc. Whether this is also down to new ownership or not is, I guess, up to the Lanista players and/or GM. It might be that this particular Ludus has a long series of brutal loses in the arena, and so have invested their last coins on training certain potentials, creating some competitive flavour amongst the Gladiators.

This also begs to answer why there is a female gladiator in the mix: is she an experimental plan to win the arena crowd and favour of the noblemen?

It's going to be challenging not to take too much influence from the Starz tv series! >.<

To sleep, perchance to dream ... All the world's a stage.
Ons and Offs     Ideas / Requests     A&A

adifferenceinsize

Quote from: bubby on February 27, 2011, 04:49:44 PM
OMG I LOVE YOU!
Sounds good to me. lol

Good points, PearlRuby. You're pretty much in sync with my idea, it seems. I believe it's Gladiator which had the small, dingy eastern arena before moving on to Rome, which is pretty much the feel I was thinking of as well. In this case, I'd envision my lanista as essentially stranded in one of the colonial provinces, forced to carve out a name for himself after clawing his way up from a rough past. His ludus would be rather hard-scrabble at first, and the arena would certainly be only one way he tries to make coin to improve his lot. Slaves might end up serving multiple roles, and the ambitious among them would be rewarded for showing their various talents; the sympathy of a man who shared their plight might not seem that much better a lord, but a 'harsh but fair' attitude will appeal to those that share in his ambition. Setting this post-Spartacus-rebellion, however, be aware... the price for disloyalty is rather overwhelming.

bubby

*Yards Pearlruby into the fold* I like you! You stay! *Marks down potential chars for Pearlruby* As for my Gladiatrix, I have a good solid backstory for her, as to why and who she is, though I still need to research timelines a bit to be sure my idea is valid. And yes, being the only Gladiatrix, it could indeed be what might bring money to a struggling Ludas.

LadyDiscord

If its help with the characters you need. I can do it because I'm very familiar with Roman mythology and Spartacus series on stars

Doctore was the overseer in the series. Though he goes by another name originally. I wouldn't mind playing a character like that.
I think it would be interesting to add a story for the slaves too. Especially on the " I want to buy my freedom" aspect.

Also, why don't you develop a title for your "House". Like the House Marxus Aurilus or something. Back stories I think are also important. I would think it be nice if the character's held various intimate or hostile relationships with others in play to give it a realistic feel of how the Romans were.

P.s....I want to be an exotic slave too.

bubby you can be a great GM. Just set up your rules and guidelines.
✔✦✘

bubby

You're in! *writes down your characters* thank you for the vote of confidence...this is a learing proccess for me. adifferenceinsize is helping me a lot. so far he's found a good location. As we get more interested people, so shall ( I hope) the idea expansion. ALL ideas will and can be incorporated I believe.

bubby

adifferenceinsize

In the interests of helping lay a better foundation for the game and seeking out inspiration for further development of my own ideas which in turn set some of the tenor of the game.

Given bubby's idea for a Boudica-like woman, I figured we might base ourselves somewhere to the west of Rome, making it easier to explain her presence in a ludus. A city that jumped to mind is Tarraco, based on the eastern coast of modern Spain. It's a rich city, and ends up being rather involved in Roman affairs by the period of Boudica's defeat. To that end, I figure 62 AD is the ideal time for this game. That puts us in a time of great growth in the Empire and the city particularly, and gives us some room to play up the later building of a Forum in the city... perhaps a point of my character's desire for immortality he wasn't able to achieve in the arena himself.

The school: Ludus Leonis Scopulus Tarraconensis.
(Should mean "The Tarraco School of the Cliff Lions"; any Latin buffs please feel free to correct my rudimentary translation.)

The lanista: Manius Sertorius Africanus.

The lanista was a legionnaire who was put into forced labor for punishment over a failure to defend against a foreign attack on the city of Thevestis (on the border of modern Tunisia). He sacrificed the defense of much of the city to facilitate the escape of a visiting senator along with much of the population. However, the death of a regional figure's son in the fray led him to be sought out in vengeance, hence the slave labor rather than execution. Always the clever sort, he works his way into getting into the arenas there and proved himself there. Eventually managing to earn his freedom by repaying the official and his owner with some outside help, he moves to Hispania to make the most of his hard-earned respite. After a few more years making money for himself and to pay his debtors which helped free him, he begins his school as a way to set himself up for his old age without support from either his family or the legions. As is fitting his personal style, the Cliff Lion School focuses on a pragmatic strategy... while not necessarily the most showy of fighters, he encourages unorthodox tactics to keep alive, figuring a dead hero is less useful than a living man.

Primarch

I'd like to throw my hat in as a Gladiator, preferably Hibernian. I know Rome never had much contact with Hibernia and certainly never conquered it, but whats to say he was home when caught? Regardless, if its something that we can claim, I would like to claim the position of House "Champion," the Crixus to this Spartacus-like game. If someone else wishes to play a rising star, the "Spartacus" of our game I have no objection of course. I believe I'd style him as a Murmillo.

If claiming House Champion is alright, I might PM you adifferenceinsize to perhaps discuss some background and establish a few things. Just to make sure things line up time-wise and what not.

Ryven

If only I had room for this, I would totally join.  I love that show soooooooooooo much.  Playing a gladiator would make me a happy Ryven. :-)

LadyDiscord

I would still encourage you to join Ryven.

@Primarch sounds good. A 'champion' would be nice or perhaps a rising a champion.

Will this rp start with the Lanistas business  well established settle or just starting?
✔✦✘

Ryven

Alas, I can't.  I can barely keep up with the RPs I have now.  I have 2 group ones already which have become the main focus of my attention.  My solos have become secondary as my muse has taken a sabbatical of sorts.

Primarch

Quote from: LadyDiscord on February 28, 2011, 06:36:03 PM
@Primarch sounds good. A 'champion' would be nice or perhaps a rising a champion.

I'd be quite happy to do either, from an established champion like Crixus as he appears at the start of Blood & Sand, or a people's favourite like Gannicus. Depends on what suits the setting more I imagine.