Hogwarts A Future

Started by Kendra, January 03, 2012, 12:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caela

Quote from: Kendra on January 03, 2012, 07:01:45 PM
@ Saerra - for now we're not allowing any characters to enter with special abilities

I understand them not being allowed in with special abilities, but if it fits with their history and future goals can they apply for classes in those abilities that can be taught? My girl wouldn't be far enough along yet, but when she's more advanced, she'd like to learn to be an Animagus, and to learn Occlumency as part of her ultimate goal of becoming an Auror.

Kokaine

Quote from: Josietta on January 03, 2012, 07:10:59 PM
No Darth Maul of Wizardry!?  Oh Noes! ;p I kid.. hehe.. I just want that seeker spot! Quidditch for Life!!!!!!!

My character wants on the Quidditch team!!! Don't need to be seeker, though that would be nice :P
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Nadir

I thought being a Seer was hereditary. Trelawny got her powers from her grandmother.

Jag

Quote from: Eden on January 03, 2012, 07:30:02 PM
I thought being a Seer was hereditary. Trelawny got her powers from her grandmother.

That's what I thought too. I'm sure a bit of training goes into controlling the power, training Trelawny obviously never got. Though learning how to read palms and tea leaves is something class taught, but true seer powers are hereditary.

Though I have nothing against prohibiting the ability till a character is a bit more knowledge in the art. Possibly having it emerge as they become more well trained. *shrugs*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Aiden

We are mostly trying to prevent the wave of Seers, parselmouths, Animagus etc at the start. Those abilities will be brought in eventually but right now we are trying to find a way to give them out without people feeling cheated or complaininig they aren't as "cool" as the next person.

Coming from another site we played on, every other person was a werewolf, half veela, vampire or animagi in some shape and form.

We will be taking character concepts and future goals into consideration and try our best to be as fair as possible.

Kendra

We aren't prohibiting the abilities as such, people will be allowed them but as it's stated in the wiki ... those who are active and loyal gamers for the learned abilities and for hereditary abilities players will have to wait for their second character so we can determine how active in game they actually are.

This is why we are starting in game in the 'summer time' so we can get a good feel for those who will remain in the game and those who start off interested but soon drop like flies. So by the time the school does start up, those active gamers should be fairly clear on whether they can learn certain abilities or not.
The only one's they will have to wait on still will be the hereditary ones - again only for second character and when your first as been established in game.
We mean to keep a hold of our players and make you guys want to stay with us!!  >:)

Quote from: Josietta on January 03, 2012, 07:10:59 PM
No Darth Maul of Wizardry!?  Oh Noes! ;p I kid.. hehe.. I just want that seeker spot! Quidditch for Life!!!!!!!
have you not checked out our minister of magic? very Darth Maul  ;D

the HoH's will host trials for quidditch so make sure you're there ;)

Quote from: TheHangedMan on January 03, 2012, 07:11:36 PM
Makes sense, kendra. Just figured I'd ask anyways. Other questions!

Can a Parcelmouth talk to only snakes, specifically? Are their other types of animal-speakers, or are snakes the exception to the rule?

How common would 'shield' items (like shield cloaks) be? From what I've read, it seems like they were mass produced at one point, by the Weasley's.

yep Parselmouths only speak to snakes.
In the HP universe I haven't come across any other animal type speakers so we don't have them - sorry ;)

in the wiki we have it pretty much cataloged that those type of items are rare and would have to be pre-approved by the GM's ;)
if the Weasley's made anything like them then they were only joke items ;)
students will be learning shield charms however  ;D

Saerrael

I understood that from the Wiki, Aiden. It's also very logical. Hence why I said 'rudimentary talent or magical inclination towards precognition' and not 'Seer'. It would be highly unlikely and very undesirable for me to play a sixteen year old who knows the future, can interpret it and decide his actions based on this. I actually wanted to add his talent as a way to make him more spaced out. If you would ; less cool and less able to normally function.

But, I am more than willing to not add this.

Jag

Just for fun, and completely useless, I bring to you The Parseltongue Translator. Enter your message, hit submit, and your get to hear an audio translation of you message in Parseltongue.

>.>

Saerrael

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 03, 2012, 07:52:03 PM
Just for fun, and completely useless, I bring to you The Parseltongue Translator. Enter your message, hit submit, and your get to hear an audio translation of you message in Parseltongue.

>.>

That's downright scary *laughs*

SomeGuy

I.... who spent the time to do that?

Jag

Quote from: SomeGuy on January 03, 2012, 07:55:19 PM
I.... who spent the time to do that?

Well, it seems to be a part of the official Warner Brothers or HP site, so I assume someone was paid rather well to sit there and do that. Several people, actually, since I think I heard a woman's voice for a few of the translations I put in.

SomeGuy

I can just imagine some people sitting there after someone tells them to do that.

"You want us... to do what? Why, why would you possibly want that?"

Jag

Obviously so people can put dirty phrases into it. Isn't that what every search/translator engine on the internet is for? ^_^

SomeGuy

Well after having put in one word followed by putting the same word twice and getting something completely different.... In fact the second one was significantly shorter, about 1 second to the 3-4 seconds of the first one.

Still, it's amusing.

Edit: Upon reflection it probably says something that my first course of action was seeing if I could break it.

undisclosedtoyou

Officially camps out in this thread!

On an awesome note, I already have most of my character worked out, and he'll be an ass awesome in whatever house he get's into.

"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Caela

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on January 03, 2012, 08:29:40 PM

On an awesome note, I already have most of my character worked out, and he'll be an ass awesome in whatever house he get's into.

hehehehe...I have mine pretty much worked out too. Just playing with her background atm.

Jordan

Zealously Jaded

I'm gonna wait until the character sheet is out...and then wing it as I normally do hehe

Caela

lol AT, that's what I normally do as well, but I've been watching Aiden and Kendra's tags floating around a couple other games for weeks now...I've had ideas for a character in my head for awhile hehehehe.

Saerrael

I do have a picture or two.... or three *coughs* But.. I'm not sharing *keeps the boy all to himself*

Amelita

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on January 03, 2012, 08:29:40 PM

SQUEEES

ahem  >.>   <.< 

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Absinthe Tori on January 03, 2012, 08:34:29 PM
I'm gonna wait until the character sheet is out...and then wing it as I normally do hehe

As Ceala has stated, I usually do that to; but I'm basically just taking a character I've already played in a HP game, and changing him to fit this one.  Also, Kendra and Aiden has had me so worked up over this game, that it was close to impossible for me to scheme plan out this char. <3 to the Potter verse!

Quote from: Amelia on January 03, 2012, 08:44:38 PM
SQUEEES

ahem  >.>   <.< 

You...worry me. Don't think I've forgotten your love for Niall! >.> <.<  Hides behind some random Potter nerd!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Caela

Quote from: Saerra on January 03, 2012, 08:43:18 PM
I do have a picture or two.... or three *coughs* But.. I'm not sharing *keeps the boy all to himself*

lmao...sharing keeps anyone else from beating you to the punch! ~nodsnodsnods~

Saerrael

Quote from: Caela on January 03, 2012, 08:49:43 PM
lmao...sharing keeps anyone else from beating you to the punch! ~nodsnodsnods~

You're just saying that to see the photos... *presses them firmer against his chest*

Nadir

Saerrael

*points at Eden* Shi's seen one of them!