The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

WE ARE GROOT.

Apparently not though, if it's true to the comics. He just has a special power, or his species does, that they can regenerate themselves from a single sprout of their old body, but they don't grow multiple new 'selves'.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 30, 2015, 04:38:45 PM

WE ARE GROOT.

Apparently not though, if it's true to the comics. He just has a special power, or his species does, that they can regenerate themselves from a single sprout of their old body, but they don't grow multiple new 'selves'.

Just watch the How It Should Have Ended version.

Spidey doesn't need physical development (none of them do). Character development, i.e. the fact that he jokes around because he's so vulnerable in his non-armored suit and his primary attacking style is getting up-close and personal, that his fear prompts him to be like that, is something that lends itself to him staying vulnerable in his spandex that is easily torn, affords no defensive power and can't really store any useful gear like Batman's utility belt does.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CuriousEyes

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 30, 2015, 11:12:26 AM
So who here is betting Spidey will have his Iron Spider outfit as his first official Spider-Man costume in Civil War?

I'd posted this on the last page but it seems relevant here. I'd say it's unlikely considering the contractual obligations for Spider-Man with Sony:

http://gawker.com/spider-man-cant-be-gay-or-black-1712401879?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The relevant bullet point being the one about how Peter Parker must design his first red and blue costume. It would seem that's important to Marvel so it would be unlikely that they skip an element of Spidey making his own costume in order to just have him be given one by Tony Stark.

They might shuffle him out of that outfit quickly though.

Although, weird/inconsistent point of this list: "He gains his powers while attending either middle school or college."

Because I don't know how these guys define "middle school," but generally PP gains his powers during high school. I dunno.

CaptainNexus616

It may be a typo concerning the middle school part.

Still for some reason as I read that I could just see Michael Bay reading it before blowing it up so he could do things his way lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

CuriousEyes

Haha I don't doubt he'd try, but he'd literally be thrown off set and fired, possibly in that order. Those are contractual guidelines relating to the licensing of Peter Parker - I'm pretty sure if Sony doesn't want a big problem on their hands, they have to obey them.

...I'm trying to imagine what a Michael Bay Spider-Man movie would be like. Megan Fox as Mary-Jane in a string bikini, clearly.

Actually, I imagine it would probably look something like
this. NSFW-esque

CaptainNexus616

and the spider was actually an alien spider from the company Spider-Man worked at. The Green Goblin wore a giant transform based suit to compete and we would see like five minutes of the villain as the rest of the move exploded both literally and figuratively with the amount of product placement and American flags lol.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Seeing all those components to the recipe makes it hard to believe how badly they're still managing to make it sound how they're going to be handling it. All they had to do is push high school to college and almost the entire problem would be solved.

On the bright side, Ant-Man seems to be getting some pretty positive preliminary reviews. I think if they play it more like a comedy and insert action, rather than playing it as an action that has some comedy, that'll be what makes it work. A lot of the stuff in the trailers is genuinely funny so I hope that's the tone of the film, I want to laugh organically rather than at the mile-a-minute pace of jokes thrown about in Age of Ultron just because they didn't have time to build things up properly.

BIG NEWS! Elektra Natchios has been cast!

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58771483?ref_=hm_nw_tp3
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Am I the only one finding it ironic she is once again playing a red clad ninja? Lol

I knew it was only a matter of time before Elektra popped up. So to my understanding we have Foggy, Karen, and Claire also returning for Season 2 so any word if Kingpin is coming back yet?

CuriousEyes

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 08, 2015, 10:09:47 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time before Elektra popped up. So to my understanding we have Foggy, Karen, and Claire also returning for Season 2 so any word if Kingpin is coming back yet?

Spoiler-ish if you haven't seen Daredevil yet...

Kingpin appears to have been defeated by the end of the first season of Daredevil. Although the only other television show that Marvel has put out that has made it more than one season is Agents of SHIELD, the general experience has been that they don't really do too much rehashing of villains. Organizations continue to appear (such as HYRDRA), but when a Big Bad is defeated it's generally pretty much time to move on from them. Granted, this is often tied to their deaths, of which Fisk did not suffer.

Given all that - I would suspect that Fisk might appear in a much reduced role (possibly even reduced to mentions of off-screen actions), and whatever small number of his lackeys that survived (Vanessa, most likely) probably will. Or the second season might climax with him regaining his freedom to set him up for another round of Big Bad in a third season. But I would not expect Kingpin to be a major part of the second season, directly.

Deamonbane

Just a small nitpick: Agent Carter has been approved for a second season.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CuriousEyes

Quote from: Deamonbane on July 08, 2015, 11:13:39 AM
Just a small nitpick: Agent Carter has been approved for a second season.

You're right, it was actually a typo on my part - I'd meant "made it through more than one season," such that we could establish a tendency.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Well it's possible Bullseye could come onto the scene as a hired assassin by the behind-bars Fisk to do his dirty work while he's indisposed. Or hell, the Hand could probably attempt to assassinate Fisk while he's vulnerable and take over his former territory, and DD and the others might need to either save him or at least keep someone like Punisher away from him.

But no one has anything to say about the fact that Elektra is confirmed for season 2 AND has already gotten someone cast in her role? I mean, that means it's Daredevil, Elektra ANd the Punisher all in the same story arc! This is totally bitchin' news! I might actually stay subscribed to Netflix until it comes on just to make sure it happens.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 08, 2015, 07:47:48 PM
That's good. I thought it was worlds better than Agents of Shield. :)

It's not on Netflix, is it? I know AoS is, but now I'm kind of curious to see it. Although I hear it's very Howard Stark-centric.

SapphireStar

Recently heard rumors of potential crossovers between shows in unrelated genres. Like Castle crossing over with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. While crossovers can be fun, there is potential for disaster. Castle is supposed to be cemented in a semi-real world, I don't see how a crossover with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for example could do anything but miss the mark. Unless, they set the crossover outside of the normal established world to be its own standalone universe. Though, Castle already spun into a grey area with the "Timetraveler" episode with Joshua Gomez playing a timetraveler from the future who comes back to stop an event. Then later reveals details of Beckett and Castle's future, especially Kate's which seems to be happening.

I just hope they are not going to do these crossovers.

SapphireStar

In the beginning, yeah. Alot of references to Firefly and Buffy were made. It depends on how they approach the crossover. As long as there are no powers used it could work. Rick stumbling upon info while researching a new book.  Which causes Coulson and May to show up. Though, while I like Castle, it kinda feels like it lost the original spark.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 08, 2015, 10:34:07 PM
That's not inaccurate. It was on Hulu awhile ago but I'm not sure if it still is. I haven't used Netflix in forever.

It starts really slow though, I will warn you and picks up about 1/2 way through the first season.

I kinda felt the same about AoS, so I've learned to be patient with these kind of shows.

mia h

In that Castle Halloween episodes all the costumes the characters turned up in at the party were roles the actors had played before. So Ryan came as a doctor and Seamus Dever has been in General Hospital and so on.

As for the Castle crossover Nathan Fillion is a huge comic fan, the Castle comics were published through Marvel and both shows are on ABC. So while it's unlikely to happen everything behind the scenes is lined up to allow it to happen.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 09, 2015, 02:11:36 AM
In that Castle Halloween episodes all the costumes the characters turned up in at the party were roles the actors had played before. So Ryan came as a doctor and Seamus Dever has been in General Hospital and so on.

As for the Castle crossover Nathan Fillion is a huge comic fan, the Castle comics were published through Marvel and both shows are on ABC. So while it's unlikely to happen everything behind the scenes is lined up to allow it to happen.

And both Joss Whedon and James Gunn are good buddies with Fillion. Surprised we didn't see any of him in either AoS or Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, I know he provided the voice of that blue prisoner Groot had by the nose, but I think he probably could have played the same character John C. Reilly played, or maybe a third Nova Corps pilot to go along with Reilly and Peter Serafinwicz.

CaptainNexus616

If I had to guess he was busy shooting Castle at the time and it conflicted with the Guardians of the Galaxy shooting schedule hence why he couldn't fly out for it. At least with Voice Acting he could do it closer and still manage to make an appearance
Maybe the sequel we'll see him pop up in a role. Watch him turn out to be Star-Lord's dad lol

Deamonbane

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 09, 2015, 12:19:39 PM
If I had to guess he was busy shooting Castle at the time and it conflicted with the Guardians of the Galaxy shooting schedule hence why he couldn't fly out for it. At least with Voice Acting he could do it closer and still manage to make an appearance
Maybe the sequel we'll see him pop up in a roll. Watch him turn out to be Star-Lord's dad lol
That would be very interesting to see.

CuriousEyes

Keepin' it going with Spider-Man... Marisa Tomei is the next rumored Aunt May.

Twitter erupts in controversy over whether Peter Parker can have a Hot Aunt.

The Marvel/Sony licensing contracts seem to be mum on that subject.

TheGlyphstone

I like the tweets in the article:

Quote"I am not okay with being sexually aroused by Peter Parker's Aunt May"

Mathim

LOL. This just proves Spider-Man can't be handled on the big screen.

What if Nathan Fillion were to play Richard Rider, the first Earthling human (as far as I know) member of the Nova Corps? With proper armor, the kind that flies and makes him an Iron Man style badass. I missed that being changed in GOTG but the movie still kicked so much ass I don't care.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2015, 01:47:04 PM
LOL. This just proves Spider-Man can't be handled on the big screen.

Dude, I get that you're on another tier of fan than I am with these things. And you're completely entitled to your own opinion, absolutely. And I haven't been a Pollyanna about everything that's been linked here (Suicide Squad, earlier Spider-Man rumors about Asa Butterfield, Supergirl, etc.). But you are so unrelentingly negative about every bit of news related to this Spider-Man stuff that it's becoming a bit of a drag, at least for me personally.

I just... I dunno. I don't want to pick at you, and like I said your opinion is your own.

... But I dunno. Try to let hope spring eternal, or something?

Anyways. I've never seen Castle, but being as it's a completely unrelated 'verse to the MCU that plays in a completely contrary reality, I can't imagine that "crossover" idea going down. Maybe an homage in some subtle way. I don't watch Castle but he's a writer or something, right? Maybe Coulson picks up a book he's written on that show or something like that.

Although I guess since AoS is set on "Earth," it's more possible for there to be a version of Castle that exists on that 'verse than it is for there to be an episode of Castle where they all of a sudden start talking about the superhuman wars that have been ravaging the planet for the better part of a decade now.