Word find...

Started by Zeitgeist, January 06, 2013, 06:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeitgeist

Can anyone think of another word for Sophisticate? All I can find is Elitist and that carries with it a something of a negative connotation I'm not wanting. Looking preferably for something unique, and a noun. Worldly, for example wouldn't work. Thanks.

Oreo

Cosmopolitan or refined?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oreo on January 06, 2013, 06:48:21 PM
Cosmopolitan or refined?

Is there a noun version of cosmopolitan? Cosmopolitian? Hmmm.

Got it: Cosmopolite

Oreo

Hope it helped. I can't think of anything else that combines worldly and sophisticated.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Kythia

Quote from: Oreo on January 06, 2013, 06:55:30 PM
Hope it helped. I can't think of anything else that combines worldly and sophisticated.

worldisticated? 

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oreo on January 06, 2013, 06:55:30 PM

No that's perfect. I was thinking cosmopolitan was only an adjective, until I dug further and saw cosmopolite, even though all I can think of is those magazines that so fascinated a young Zeitgeist on the cusp of puberty lol.

Caeli

I think cosmopolitan is the perfect word choice - or cosmopolite, rather. I also didn't know that cosmopolitan had a noun form.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Zeitgeist

Again, thank you Oreo

Apropos I thought...

Oreo

Elina

Wonder if erudite has a noun form.

Oniya

Not in the form of 'one who is erudite', but the word 'erudition' is a noun meaning 'the knowledge one has acquired'.

He even employs his erudition  to expose the fallacy of the water test.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aleph

Dilettante isn't too far from the mark either, though these days it's more of a negative term.