Persona Profiles, Redlined 'Ware and Chipheads Galore - Shadowrun 4th Edition

Started by Sinestra, August 10, 2013, 06:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinestra

"Watch your back. Shoot straight. Conserve ammo.
And never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

—Street proverb

So after a great deal of time being a silent little cat peering into the chaos, I've decided I'd like to extend my hand into the giant mess and try to set up one of the, apparently, very rare games of Shadowrun. Due to a large selection of plots, rules and source books (PDFs as well), I've decided 4th edition is likely the best bet to allow everyone the free reign to create their ideal character. Plot wise, the game will be largely open world with episodes of runs, downtime, character interaction etc.

So you want to play a Simsense star embroiled in a world of sex, drugs and parties...
What about a Street Samurai competing in one of the Sixth World many lethal and horrible game shows...
How about a misshapen loner who rigs into a humanoid pleasure drone and lives an alternate life...
You could play a Barrens child who uses physical adept powers to become a masked "superhero"...
Perhaps you're a member of a professional Combat Biker team, looking for a little extra cash on the side...
Maybe you're a twisted HMHVV strain sufferer, just looking for their next meal...

Nearly anything is possible, you just need to make me believe it'll make for good reading, enjoyment for all and perhaps the most important of all... to be fun. But here's the thing, a catch if you will surprise surprise... I like to play Shadowrun as much as GMing it. So if you are also the type who might enjoy GMing a run or two now and again when the mood strikes you, or has a great idea for a plot or two, then I full-on welcome you aboard... but at the end of day it's not a requirement to take the wheel and steer this giant truck of unherdable cats. Neow...

Now, before you go on making a huge character sheet, writing a massive backstory and getting really attached to concepts that make me feel like an absolute and uncaring bitch when I have to turn them down, I'd like to do the following first... lets get everyone to post here, in this thread, with 1-3 character ideas they'd like to play, how serious the tone of the game should or shouldn't be, if we're doing gritty realism or pink mohawk randomness etc... and after a few days, I'll open a thread specifically for much larger "Character Concept" delving. Whether that be an individual-based world where everyone is working in the same city (the game will, most likely, begin in Seattle, 'natch) as runners and might encounter one another from time to time, or you're a preformed group of runners working together, or you're all DocWagon employees, or all something else etc.

But, some of the ground rules. The year is 2073. Technomancers are still the latest boogieman of the media and the world is fucked up in so many ways. Characters are normally built with four hundred points... these characters will be built with 500 points. This means I get to play with some higher level goodies, and you do too. All official, non-april fools, books and PDFs from 4th edition are available for use, I have them all. You may begin play with an additional 20 points spent in Nuyen if you wish, and the base availability (which is expanded by Restricted Gear etc) is 14 instead of 12 (This means R.G. gives availability 22). I mention this because somethings (like, say, Heavy Military Armor) can be acquired and might open up concepts you might not have considered.

And finally... this is the Sixth World... this is Shadowrun... where the Yakuza might decide you're overly attractive body could really make them much more money with a Persona-Fix Chip and a Memory Lock tossed into a Bunraku Parlor regardless if you had that planned for the weekend or not. This is the place where ghouls don't have a source of anything to live other than your tasty body mush. A world where a high powered corporate idiot with more money than brains might decide your greek-god/dess like body would make a wonderful playtoy for his cybered hell hound for the delight of his underworld buds. And a world where half the city is in absolute begging for a penny destitute suffering, and the rest live in abject denial of the first's existence. Shadowrun is a horrible place for the unfortunate... if you stray into the wrong part of town, mess with the wrong people or carelessly do whatever illegal thing you're partaking in, bad, horrible, wicked, evil, delightful, delicious, manic, mind-searing and downright no good things can happen to you... now if that's normally you're cup of tea then alright... but the rest take it as a warning. (Now of course I'm not going to force something/turnoffs/absolute no's onto someone but please do be mindful...)

So alright... lets have at it! Let me see those hands!

POST-POST ADDITIONS/CLARIFICATIONS
-Racially-focused Qualities do not count for the Qualities/Disadvantages BP limits of character creation (which for this game is 40). This includes HMHVV strains, SURGE traits, Dracoforms and the like.
-Players will get 50 karma to spend on their characters AFTER the initial 500BP character is completed.
-Skill Caps at Generation: You can have as many skills as you want at 5 or 6. Without Qualities etc you can't go above 6, as normal.

OOC Thread for Characters and Group Discussion - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=182147.0
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

arkhos

I would be interested, but it's been a long, long time since I've touched Shadowrun. :)  But what you've described so far sounds -very- interesting!

So I'd love to toss my hat in the ring, unless it gets trampled by a bunch of experienced runners, at which point I will respectfully step aside. :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Callie Del Noire

Muse

Bounce! 

I would absolutely love to play! 

Please, please, please, please, please! 

Perhaps a gal I have named Rave?  She's a bioluminescent magician with big eyes and a small mouth.  Her day job is as a cage dancer at Club Steam. 

Or, given the phenomenal awesome build points you've granted...  A dracomorph?  :D 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sinestra

Quote from: Muse on August 10, 2013, 01:16:49 PM
Bounce! 
I would absolutely love to play! 
Or, given the phenomenal awesome build points you've granted...  A dracomorph?  :D

Dracomorphs are absolutely available. You'll just be hunted from time to time, but the chase makes things so much more interesting, they say ;).

ALSO! Forgot to mention... this will likely be a smaller game. 4 people, at most 5. Games of Shadowrun with a huge cast of PCs get bogged down really really quickly.
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

Callie Del Noire

Working on my face adept (Speaker's Way) and should have her up tongiht.

Dracorion

Aaah, hm, definitely interested.

Thinking of something along the lines of a face Adept (though from the looks of the post above that's already taken), or a face gunkitty.

... I like faces, sue me.

Sinestra

Quote from: Dracorion on August 10, 2013, 01:48:54 PM
Aaah, hm, definitely interested.

Thinking of something along the lines of a face Adept (though from the looks of the post above that's already taken), or a face gunkitty.

... I like faces, sue me.

You know, it was always my opinion that most Shadowrun teams should have at least 2 people to pull the 'Face' duty. I mean if half the team is charisma 1-2 trolls, it doesn't matter how good you are, runs are going to devolve into gunfights with the Knights...

Dracorion

Good point.

By the way, since you raised our starting BP to 500, do we get higher limits on how much BP we can spend on attributes and qualities?

Currently looking into Drakes, since Muse mentioned them and I didn't know they existed. Interesting...

Sinestra

Quote from: Dracorion on August 10, 2013, 02:20:05 PM
Good point.

By the way, since you raised our starting BP to 500, do we get higher limits on how much BP we can spend on attributes and qualities?

Currently looking into Drakes, since Muse mentioned them and I didn't know they existed. Interesting...

Qualities I'll increase to 40 (normal is 35) and the amount you can spend on Attributes is still half of starting... so in this case that means you could spend 250 on attributes instead of the normal 200.

And Dracoforms are an interesting character choice to be sure... but just remember, to a large corporation, a dracoform is one delicious looking experiment subject.

Dracorion

Right, though since the Drake quality costs 65 BP I guess that's out of the question.

Muse

I don't think that falls under the limit on account of being a race choice rather than a posotive quality, Draco.  I could be wrong. 

But if you just mean it costs too much?  *shrugs* 

Any way, Drakes make awesome adepts.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

*hand raise*  Wow.  When it rains, it pours.  I've got this brilliant idea for a character - one's a hacker and the other is a street doc - and the 500 BP and increased Availability just makes it all the more sweeter!  Sinestra, do you have space for another?

And Drakes are a metatype - the 65 BP for the Drake Quality doesn't count towards Quality limit.  Check the Companion.

AndyZ

Would love to reuse my Rigger named Smiley if this isn't full yet.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Sinestra

Quote from: AndyZ on August 10, 2013, 03:31:27 PM
Would love to reuse my Rigger named Smiley if this isn't full yet.

I should add, this game isn't a First Come First Serve kind of thing... I would like to give this game the best possible chance of lasting awhile by choosing a cast that works for both me and the game type the players want.

So yes, for the next few days the game is indeed "open".

And all concepts are welcome at my table. Just don't get any cheeto dust on my dice bag. :)

Also, I just added the following to the original post.

-Racially-focused Qualities do not count for the Qualities/Disadvantages BP limits of character creation (which for this game is 40). This includes HMHVV strains, SURGE traits, Dracoforms and the like.

ReijiTabibito

Fair enough.  I'll work up my own characters and then PM them to you.  Give you the basic gist of their backstories.

Muse

This should give you a basic idea of Rave and what she's about.  I'll write more as time allows and the spirit moves.  I'm also open to suggestions. 

Rave
Subject:   Rave
Birth Name:   Angelica Cecily Traven 
Citizenship:   Ares Corporate: SIN 6413983719 (Revoked)
Allias:      Nicci Corra Coleman
Allias:      Mirage (A well known mood dancer at Club Steam.) 
Metatype:   SURGE Mutated Human (Changed by the passage of Haley’s Commet)
Height:      5’1”
Weight:   101lbs
Measures:      C

Hair:      Her hair falls in loose waves too the backs of her hips.  It’s color is variable dependent upon her mood and fluoresces in a black light. 
Eyes:      Amethyst and unnaturally wide, likened to Betty Boop or girls in Shonen Anime.  In certain lights, they take on the lambent flame of a cat’s. 
Skin:      Soft in shade with a clearly golden coloration, her skin luminesses in dim to no light. 

Positive Qualities
Class III Surge      
Magician: Wicca (Goddess Wicca)
Fame I (Locale) (as Mirage) 

Negative Qualities
Day Job (Dancing 20hrs/week at Club Steam, Pays 7,500 a month.)

In Debt:  After being booted, she had to take out a loan from organized crime to make a life for herself.  Fortunately she quickly got an independent job as a stripper, and moved from there too a less dangerous job as a Cage Dancer.  She sill owes 15,000 NY with interest compounding monthly by 10%. 

SINer: Citizen of Ares

Records on File: Ares ran a week of tests on her after Haley’s Comet changed her, but after a week booted her onto the streets in response to concerned parents fears that she was contagious. 

Surge:  (Page 111 of Runner’s Companion.) 
--Bioluminescence
--Extravagant Eyes
--Mood Hair
--Metagenic Improvement: Intuition
--Low Light Vision
--Perceptive (+1 to all Perception Tests, Including Assessing and Matrix Perception.) 

Callie Del Noire

I think that my adept (which is on my desktop @ home) is a Speaker Way (Totem: Seductress)

ReijiTabibito

Callie, is this Adept Face who I think it is?  If It is, then I think I'm gonna enjoy this...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 10, 2013, 04:28:37 PM
Callie, is this Adept Face who I think it is?  If It is, then I think I'm gonna enjoy this...

If you can find the old write up I might be persuaded to use her.

ReijiTabibito

I don't think I have it.  And even if I did, then she would be calibrated for 400 BP, I think.  But lemme look.

EDIT: Nuts. The search function isn't functioning, but I know you did a stat-up of her for another SR game, Cal.

ReijiTabibito

Yep.  That's the one.  I knew the name and that she'd been part of an SR game, but I didn't remember the game name.

Callie Del Noire

ReijiTabibito

Haven't met Syn...but I know I enjoyed Akiko.  You'd probably have to recalibrate her for 500 BP and other stuff, though, right?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 10, 2013, 04:56:45 PM
Haven't met Syn...but I know I enjoyed Akiko.  You'd probably have to recalibrate her for 500 BP and other stuff, though, right?

Yeah.. D

Sinestra

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sinestra on August 10, 2013, 05:53:09 PM
Well hey now, if you WANT to be a lower power level, I certainly won't stop you. ;)

I have that to hold that place till I get home. :D

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Sinestra

Quote from: AndyZ on August 10, 2013, 07:22:18 PM
By the way, is there any way to start out with Submersion?

You know, you make a good point there...

What I'll do, is I'll give everyone 50 Karma to spend on whatever they'd like once the 500BP have been spent. This should let everyone get a little more fleshed out, get a level or two of Initiation/Submersion etc.

Sinestra

Created a thread for specific character sheet posting. This thread is still for expressing interest or general chatty bits...

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=182147.0

Dracorion

Right then, I got a backstory lined up.

Huang Uzuki was just an elf working for Evo, having taken his own life in his hands and worked his way up from the streets, not that he'd complain when life decided to cut him a break. He started as a simple security guard earning his wage honestly, and was hit by the biggest surprise in his life when he Awakened as an Adept, one of the aforementioned breaks. It wasn't bad at all, in fact, it landed him a job bodyguarding a high-ranking executive by the name of Mac Olsen. Good deal, right? It was, until the other bigger surprise in his life hit him and he turned into a fucking dragon.

It had to happen in front of his boss, too.

Huang knew his life as he knew it was over, Evo would grab him and poke him to see what made him tick, and maybe he'd be treated well but he wouldn't have his own life anymore. Fortunately, or unfortunately, his boss was something of a fetishist, a fact Huang was aware of but turned a blind eye to, except it seemed the lecherous old man had an eye on him now. Given the choice between doing some "off-the-book jobs" for Olsen or being turned in to Evo, Huang had to accept the offer, and fall into a life of debauchery with his boss, on top of his usual bodyguard duties.

There were house calls, weekend getaways, vacations... all of which involves days and nights with Mac doing something or another. It wasn't that Huang minded having relations with the same sex, it was that Mac was a disgusting individual. There was even a skin-flick, original filmed just for Mac's pleasure, which leaked into the Matrix and ended up getting the two of them caught. Mac was promptly fired, and then Evo's crew came to discreetly take Huang in for research.

Well, Huang wasn't going to take that lying down. He fought back, hard, killing one of the evo mercenaries by pushing him out of a ten-story window and then made his escape, flying away. Of course, he wasn't too surprised to find out the next day that he was wanted by the cops for the murder of an Evo employee, though the corp kept the details of his Dracomorph condition a secret.

These days, Huang's settled down with a new identity into the life of a shadowrunner, hoping to earn enough money to get away from Evo and keep making his own way in life.

Sinestra

Looking good so far, Drac... although the Dracoform transformation deal is usually a bit "bigger of a deal", but there's nothing saying this wasn't swept under the rug really well. ;)

Head on over to the OOC thread, post your character there, work on a sheet, talk with others about game styles etc etc.

Sinestra

This would be last call for any applicants, if you've expressed interest in this thread, it would be a very good idea to at least speak up in the OOC thread linked in the original post so I know you're coming.

Callie Del Noire

Keelan

*jumping in Last Minute (TM)*

I would be motivated to join in, as much as I'd love to try out SR5 since I'll be running that soon enough I still am quite familiar with 4th!

I also may be tempted to GM a run on occasion...

ReijiTabibito

Muse