News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Infestation (Starcraft RP)

Started by Rachubka, August 02, 2010, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachubka

As I've said earlier, the Siege Tank should be played by one person, but two people manning it. It's just so someone does not get stuck having to wait for his 'partner' to fire off the cannon before making another post about driving around / finding targets in Siege Mode.

Aaaaand NC Exotic it is. Just trying to think of a neat Battlecruiser name then I can get on with writing. lol

Aiden

Rachubka

I think I'm going to go with "The Kinder Surprise".

JerichoMyers

Alrighty, if anyone is up for doing a duo of Seige speak now or forever hold your typing fingers. I'll began my siege tank profile in a half hour.

Rachubka

Errrrrr, well... I also said that Question Mark has had dibs on the Siege Tank crew since the interest probe. I'd rather wait for him to respond, or not have the Siege Tank at all.

Edit: Kidding about the Battlecruiser name!

Edit 2: Am out for what will probably be the rest of the night. Aiden's in charge. Don't let any scoundrels steal anything.

JerichoMyers

Oh, I thought you meant some thing else on Question mark. I didn't think he was an actual person. This is the second time I got the Question Mark thing confused.

Aiden

Alright I am in charge...last one at Bubba Ray's (Bar) has to pay tonight's tab!

-Commandeers a vulture bike and speeds off!-

Geradine

when you do post the primary, please leave a link on this thread so i do not become lost on the way to the rest of the squad. *pictures stomping around in a Goliath around all of E*
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

Question Mark

I go away for two days, and then come back to find THIS monstrosity?!  What the hell guys! :P

I've only skimmed the thread to make sure I haven't missed anything BIG.  So yes, I'm still playing the siege tank duo.  I'll post their profile up ASAP.

EDIT #1: Battlecruiser name: the "Cattlebruiser" or the "Wayward Traveler" or the "Patriot's Blood" or the "Peacemaker"

EDIT #2: Ah, Jericho.  Er...  We can have two siege tanks, maybe?  Rach is right about the whole "waiting for someone else to post" dilemma of such an intimate (not that way!) pair of pilots.  Having both of us in a tank is a delay waiting to happen.

EDIT #3: I've reread the thread and focused on some of the macro going on.  The situation is a crack ghost is scraping together a team of skilled men and women to investigate a colony that dropped off the radar, thus eliminating the major logistics of a full scale rescue fleet while still retaining the information gathering ability of a skilled and heavily armed scout party.  Thus, vehicles are NOT LIKELY.  Especially fighter craft.  Remember, this is a remote, small colony.  The only airboys we need are dropships from the battlecruiser to the ground (unless you'd prefer to jump, of course ;) ).

What's my point?  My point is that we need a reason to have vehicles in this RP.  I'm thinking something as simple as having a scout drone getting jammed and then dissapearing as it scouts the surface alerts the battlecruiser.  It's unusual vanishing act calls for heavy guns, causing the KMs to send down infantry alongside heavy vehicle support (goliaths and my siege tank), with some on-call air support thrown in (the wraith).  And then the shit hits the fan.

TBH, I'm kind of worried on how we're going to insert the flyboys into the RP proper.  After the dropship drops us off, it should stay where it is with a small guard and the pilot.  The wraith shouldn't have to touch down any time; will he be communicating via radio whenever he posts?  I'm just kind of worried about the scale of interaction our characters will be able to have with some of the more distant people.

Writersblockade

Can't say I disagree with Q on the vehicles issue. At first I was thinking about this as a Dirty Dozen version of Starcraft. The flyboys would have been NPCs, since we'd barely see them anyway, right? Goliath (maybe 2) and a tank because of the heavy resistance issue that we won't know about, but others higher up would. *shurgs* Either way, I'm still interested!
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Question Mark

Character Template

Name & Rank: Junior Taskmaster Ed Paul Dyatolv
Class: Siege Tank General Operator and Gunner

Equipment: No power armor, just his body, a thick internally cooled jumpsuit, and a helmet.  Ed doesn't carry a fire-arm on his person.

Physical Description: He's a bit of a big guy.  5'10'' and on the heavier side too.  He doesn't have a beer gut or anything like that - he's too conditioned by the military.  He just has extra fat packed into all the little places, mixed with muscle and a naturally large figure.  Definitely not someone you'd want to try and tackle.  His face reflects his constant cheerfullnes, with plenty of laugh lines.  His facial skin is pockmarked and weathered from literal years spent within the not-exactly-comfortable atmosphere of a siege tank.

Personality: Imagine the siege tank operator from Starcraft.  He's that guy, without all the patriotic spewing.  Ed always defers to the man above him, finding that putting faith in his leaders gives him the best chance for survival.  Given his long and convoluted military career, it would seem that he's correct.  Ed places high values on the guild system employed by the Kel-Morian Combine, often citing it as the reason why he's still in the military.  Well, that and dropping the hammer in order to spread some in-deh-scriminate JUSTICE.  He's an all around cheerful guy, and has taken on an aura of invincibility after having survived so many fields of combat.  Ed doesn't feel fear as acutely as most people do because of this, and so can be inappropriately gung-ho and upbeat in the midst of fighting.

Bio: Ed was born on an off-world 'roid (mining base within an asteroid) in the Sara system, known simply as "the 'Roid" by locals.  The 'Roid was run by an independent guild that claimed no allegiance to either the Kel-Morian Combine or the Confederacy of Man.  It was small, containing only a couple dozen families, but it made a decent profit selling ore to the highest bidder.  With tensions rising in the years before the Guild Wars, the Confederacy began seizing guild interests in and around the Kel-Morian's center of power.  The 'Roid was one such "guild interest."

Four years before the outbreak of the Guild Wars, when Ed was 20 and working as an SCV operator and general miner, a Confederate strike force blockaded the 'Roid and forced the occupants to turn over all weaponry and military-grade equipment.  They then seized the majority of the teenagers and young adults for conscription - Ed included - and replaced them with loyal Confederate workers, while leaving the 'Roid's guild-run government intact in order to avoid a political annexation - an offense equitable to a declaration of war.  The 'Roid was powerless to interfere, and Ed and fifty other men and women were absorbed into the Marine Corp.
Ed initially complied with the Confederates, completing his training.  His experience with mining vehicles, SCVs, and the like made him a prime candidate for vehicular training.  He was fully trained in the workings of a siege tank the year before the Guild Wars broke out.  And when they did, Ed was amongst the first deployed in a preemptive land-based strike.  He immediately killed his gunner and defected to the Kel-Morians, and served as an artilleryman for the rest of the war.

He remained in the Kel-Morian military, only fleeing once at the end of the war in order to avoid being captured by the Confederates and executed for his betrayal.  He rejoined the next year.  Unfortunately, the 'Roid was still in Confederate hands, his guild long-since broken up and scattered across the Koprulu Sector.  With no home to return to, Ed vouched to remain an Arclite operator, and has served with distinction ever since.

Vehicle / Armour Description: Their vehicle (pictured here with Ed for scale) is an AAV-5 Arclite Siege Tank MAP (Mobile Artillery Platform).  It bears the standard armaments (PPG-7 80mm plasma cannons and the 120mm shock cannon) and is in fantastic condition.  The tank is painted red as seen in the picture, with decals of the Kel-Morian insignia on each tread and on the top of the tower.  It's treads are able to shift between flat terrain, rough terrain, and soft terrain (the version seen in the picture) variations by altering the slope of each link.  It's treads and cockpit are fitted with grips and handholds so that armored and unarmored personnel can climb on and hitch a ride, or to buff up the tank's dead zone.

Name & Rank: Elizabeth "Hedge" Olzewski, Assistant Junior Taskmaster
Class: Siege Tank Pilot, Communications Officer, Navigator, and Range Finder

Equipment: No power armor, just her body, a thick internally cooled jumpsuit, and a helmet.  Hedge doesn't carry a fire-arm on her person, but she does have a CRAP (Combat, Relaxation, All-Purpose) knife, 8".  In case you're wondering, the acronym comes from the rank'n'file.

Physical Description: Hedge has often heard that she's a smaller, more feminine version of Ed (much to everybody's disgust once the mental image kicks in).  It's a fairly accurate description, to an extent.  Hedge is short and stocky, in as good shape as her gunner, but with a much fitter body.  She's much stronger than she is agile, and her frame conveys a sense of durability.  Her hair is brown, but was recently bleached yellow by the sun, salt water, and an otherwise harmless chemical spill in said water while on leave in the tropics.  She's not too fond of it.  Hedge's face is indicative of her distant Eastern European Earthen heritage, with a round face, low cheek bones, and thoughtfully happy expression.  She stands at about 5'3".

Personality: Hedge is not exactly a kind person.  She's rather belligerent and impatient, but intelligent.  She understands that some things take time, but she won't put up with crap.  She hates ceremony and tradition and pointless protocol, always preferring the logical and utilitarian route over the safe and predetermined one.  This makes Hedge come across as a bit of a hothead, and often has to be reared in by the older and more experienced Ed.  She takes great pride in her ability to pilot a siege tank, often claiming she can "trim a hedge razor straight" with the side of her tank, thus her nickname.  In reality, she's only a modest pilot; more than capable, but nothing too exceptional.  Her bravado and boasting is just part of her personality.  Nonetheless, no one doubts her ability to trim a hedge: after all, the tank has a hardline cruise control wired into it.

Bio: Hedge was born and raised on the planet Moria, born to a relatively high class family.  Her parents pounded it into her head that she was in the minute minority, and that the vast majority of people live a much poorer life.  She accepted the lesson, seamlessly fitting in amongst her peers despite her elevated station.  At her parent's request, Hedge joined the Kel-Morian military as soon as she was old enough.  Like she needed to be told in the first place; her eyes had been set on the gleaming machinery and raw firepower of the military guilds for years.

Rachubka

To be honest, I was worried about that to and have been trying to think of a solution since the problem came to mind. The dropship, as you said, is an easy fix. The vehicles would need justification and the alarming nature of the call as well as something like a probe getting messed up by forces unknown would do it.

The Wraith, however... may be a little harder to do. I have thought of a solution, but that would involve a little conversing between me and the pilot of the fighter. I probably should have thought of that a little further than I did. Poo on me.

And it's 2 AM, I just got home from rather strange night of birthdaying so I'ma go to sleep so I can work in the morning. Then again, I'm a little wired so I might stay up!

JerichoMyers

I didn't know Question Mark was an actual person..... I kinda figure you were talking about some weird topic and just wanted a tank duo.

Crovonovin

Nope!  If you go to the initial discussion thread, he was one of the first interested players and gave everyone a lot of insight into the dynamics of Ghosts within the Starcraft universe, among other things.

JerichoMyers

I understand the dilemma about the vehicles and that's why I made my character a scout based character. His Goliath is meant for scouting long range, that's about it. I kinda figured most people would want to be epic marines and fire bats, whooping ass and being bad ass. If you want, I can change my character since there is another Goliath pilot.

Question Mark

Quote from: JerichoMyers on August 05, 2010, 07:53:31 AM
I understand the dilemma about the vehicles and that's why I made my character a scout based character. His Goliath is meant for scouting long range, that's about it. I kinda figured most people would want to be epic marines and fire bats, whooping ass and being bad ass. If you want, I can change my character since there is another Goliath pilot.

I don't think there's a need to change your character.  ;)

Time for some more, ah, insight as Shihong put it.  (I love this kind of stuff)

Goliaths are mobile weapons platforms.  They are slow, bulky, costly, and require plenty of protection within their dead zone (you try throwing four or five goliaths into a batch of zerglings and see what happens).  The benefit is that they carry some BIG guns which can do a lot of damage, as well as SAM missiles for shooting down aircraft.  Similar to ghosts, goliaths are great specialty weapons, meant to be applied in specific circumstances (think sieges, defences, plains warfare, etc.).  Also like ghosts, goliaths are terrible scouts.  In fact, virtually everything on the ground is a terrible scout, because of speed and line-of-sight limitations.  Goliaths particularly so, because of the aforementioned vulnerability and slow speed (and they're not exactly stealthy either :P )  Aircraft, and given the fact that we have a battlecruiser, sensor sweeps, and good ol' fashioned telescopy are much quicker, more accurate, and more efficient ways of scouting terrain.  In the case of buildings or urban areas, goliaths make nice fortifications, but are too bulky and unwieldy to handle streets and closed areas well.  Infantry make good short range scouts in this instance, while the Goliath makes a nice command post, what with its protective frame and communications suite.

In other words, a goliath is not a scout.  If you want to be a long range scout, sign up for the wraith squadron.  Cloaking, small size, and good speed make them the ideal long range scouts.

Aiden

Nothing wrong with extra Goliaths btw, so even if we have a few I think we will need them.

Rachubka

The land vehicles are fine. It's just the Wraith that's the BIG problem; the dropship is workable.

Rachubka

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=78043.0

And thar she blows. Anything that seems untoward is again my fault complete! Wrote that in like 20 minutes before I have to head for work. :D Hopefully there are a bajillion posts to read when I get back.

Or four. I'll take four, too.

Aiden

Rachubka- Do you want to make a separate OOC thread in that section of the boards? Or ask a mod to move this one over and we keep the previous one here in case we want to recruit more.

Crovonovin

Just another reminder that my posting will be sporadic for the next week or so!  Managed to get a post in before leaving for my flight.

Acid Lips

I am sorry but I will need to bow out, soon I will start to study and I won't like starting this rp and not being able to post. I am so sorry guys the oportunity just kinda happened a few hours ago and I am taking it.

Writersblockade

Awww...I bet your medic would have been awesome, Acid! Good luck with your studies.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Aiden

Rachubka

I'll make an OOC / Character thread soon enough. If worse comes to worse and someone cannot find another medic, I'll cover. :) Medics are... going to be essential, I think.

Sorry we couldn't keep you, Acid! That makes me sound like an addict.