[Numenera]Interest Check - Post apocalypse science-fantasy, all players welcome!

Started by Galactic Druid, March 03, 2015, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaoticSky

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Darkling on March 04, 2015, 09:39:29 PM
So what im thinking is a Empathic Nano Who Fuses Mind And Machine

I was hoping someone would pick that, but I didn't want to say anything and alter people's choices. That datasphere tap ability just looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, especially for the GM. *Grins*
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Galactic Druid

So In total, we have;

1. Crash - A Clever Jack Who Rides the Lightning
2. Darkling - An Empathic Nano who Fuses Mind and Machine
3. Urbanzorro (more or less confirmed via PM)
4. Pumpkin Seeds (interested)
5. Re Z L (interested)
6. Cerulean Serenity (Maybe)
7. BaronessAiyanna (interested)

For right now, I think I'm going to cap it there; I don't want things getting so big that each character doesn't get a chance to shine.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Darkling on March 04, 2015, 10:00:12 PM
:o Now I'm scared.

Oh, no worries, I'm not that evil a GM...

In all seriousness, Numenera is designed to be a game where everyone works together to craft a story. Drama and danger make a story exciting, but I don't intend to play this as a "gotcha" GM that leaves his players hanging, or worse, punishes his players for small mistakes.

Galactic Druid

Well, it's getting late for me, but before I go, I wanted to ask;

The ninth world has a lot of crazy things that might happen; cannibalistic bandits, mind altering/controlling creatures and constructs, robots designed for pleasure gone haywire, slave traders, and much, much more. Is there anything that anyone is particularly uncomfortable with that they'd prefer I leave out?

I'm tempted to ask before each encounter, but I'd be kind of spoiling the big surprise for each arc is I started out with something like "Hey, I was thinking of having the men in the party investigate/visit a brothel that turns out to be a group of ancient pleasure androids that got some black widow virus in their programming and attempt to kill their clients after sex?" and spoiling the whole thing. So in short, if there's any themes you want left out, please let me know now.

I'm a bit odd. Something like vore is a massive off, for example, but if it's not being used in a sexual setting, I have no problem portraying a group of bandits as cannibals. The same goes with a lot of things. I'd generally not get into a kidnapping story, but I'd gladly have a PC kidnapped for a story arc in which the others rescue them, while the kidnapped PC makes their own attempts to escape. You guys get the idea. Anyway, just let me know if there's any hard offs for you guys as I plan encounters.

Galactic Druid

In retrospect, shouldn't have used black widow sexbots as a throwaway example. That could have been a really fun encounter...

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 04, 2015, 10:22:04 PM
Well, it's getting late for me, but before I go, I wanted to ask;

The ninth world has a lot of crazy things that might happen; cannibalistic bandits, mind altering/controlling creatures and constructs, robots designed for pleasure gone haywire, slave traders, and much, much more. Is there anything that anyone is particularly uncomfortable with that they'd prefer I leave out?

I'm tempted to ask before each encounter, but I'd be kind of spoiling the big surprise for each arc is I started out with something like "Hey, I was thinking of having the men in the party investigate/visit a brothel that turns out to be a group of ancient pleasure androids that got some black widow virus in their programming and attempt to kill their clients after sex?" and spoiling the whole thing. So in short, if there's any themes you want left out, please let me know now.

I'm a bit odd. Something like vore is a massive off, for example, but if it's not being used in a sexual setting, I have no problem portraying a group of bandits as cannibals. The same goes with a lot of things. I'd generally not get into a kidnapping story, but I'd gladly have a PC kidnapped for a story arc in which the others rescue them, while the kidnapped PC makes their own attempts to escape. You guys get the idea. Anyway, just let me know if there's any hard offs for you guys as I plan encounters.

Personally, I would say your putting the game in Ex, so no need to be squeamish. Outside of sex/kink? Everything is fair.

When it comes to sexual stuff? Well, just keep peoples Offs in mind i guess. If you need a character to be abducted and raped... dont pick someone with noncon as a Off. Pick someone who likes it. *holds a sign with a arrow pointing down at her head*. On the other hand however, the game is Ex, and sex generally doesnt happen in the main game thread (tends to bog down, so its often played out in side threads if there is a interest.), so I'm kinda of the opinion that anything can happen behind a Fade-to-black as long as you dont expect characters to enjoy it. I think most of us are mature enough not to mind.

Also:
Quote"Hey, I was thinking of having the men in the party investigate/visit a brothel that turns out to be a group of ancient pleasure androids that got some black widow virus in their programming and attempt to kill their clients after sex?"
You sexist bastard, why cant I go to the murder brothel?  :P

Crash

Non-Con is a big off for me, but like Darkling says as long as it isn't happening to me I don't care what you do to others if they like it.

Quote from: Darkling on March 04, 2015, 10:54:50 PM

Also:You sexist bastard, why cant I go to the murder brothel?  :P

*snicker*

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Crash

Galactic Druid

Crash

Pinterest after much searching.

I did a search and tried a bunch of combinations of the words: Numenera, Concept Art, character, Jack, lightning, weird, mage...probably a few others thrown in there to and ended up with that. 

Some awesome Nemenera creatures and character concept art there.

Galactic Druid

I should give pintrest a try myself for plot bunnies!

Today was a little crazy, the weather really messed with my work schedule, but I should have some time tomorrow to work on the rules post some more, specifically how experience and advancement works. I know Urbanzorro is close to finishing his character, and maybe we can get some character sheets made over the weekend so I can make notes about your stats and skills.

I've got a good feeling about this game!

Urbanzorro

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Crash

Galactic Druid

So I haven't added much to the thread in the last couple of days, but I have scribbled down a bunch of notes and encounter ideas in my binder during breaks. There's a couple things I wanted to touch base on, and see what you guys thought;

Does anyone actually enjoying having to manage their inventory, such as the amount of arrows or crossbow bolts they have left? If it's not something powerful and rare, such as a cypher or explosive bolt, I'm totally fine just assuming those of you who have crossbows keep themselves well supplied with their everyday ammunition.

Since there's a beast among us, I'll be keeping track of a lunar cycle. When it comes to things like a weeklong travel, I intend to skip over the boring bits, however. Mention you travel and camp for a few days, RP an encounter to gather or trade for more food, possibly an encounter with some bandits or beasts along the way, RP out the events at camp one of the 5 or 6 nights (things can happen in the main or side thread, whichever is preferred), then skip over the remaining two days and jump to the arrival at the next point in the adventure. Does that work well for everyone?

I probably will keep track of food supplies, as I do find it interesting to either stop and hunt or barter with (or rob!) other travelers for their next meal. It also makes money a bit more valuable, gives hunters more opportunities to shine, and those scenes can turn into some exciting encounters.

Lastly, there's two ways to handle challenges. One way is for the GM to be upfront about the difficulty of a task. If the players need to cross a river, let the players know in a spoiler box at the bottom "swimming across the rapid river is a difficulty 4 task." The other option is to give enough information the players can make a decent assumption about the difficulty, without ever telling them what it is exactly. "The water is flowing rather fast, enough to be rather intimidating to anyone untrained crossing, though any seasoned swimmer has likely crossed far worse." I personally prefer the latter, not knowing the exact number makes things more exciting in my book, but I thought if ask what my players thought before committing to a method.

ChaoticSky

Personally I like the idea of keeping a proper inventory, its the same thing as keeping track of food, makes resources more valuable. Of course, i plan to pull energy blasts out of my ass so someone with a more critical resource like bolts for their gun might feel differently. Also support the inclusion of water/food we have to carry.

Skipping over the blah-travel is fine, unless there is something interesting happening.

And the Latter method, so much. Numbers ruin immersion, you can eyeball a raging river and try to figure out your odds, maybe test a skill if there is reason to believe a character would know that, but you cant know for sure. Game should reflect that. ;D

Urbanzorro

Quote from: Darkling on March 06, 2015, 09:11:18 AM
And the Latter method, so much. Numbers ruin immersion, you can eyeball a raging river and try to figure out your odds, maybe test a skill if there is reason to believe a character would know that, but you cant know for sure. Game should reflect that. ;D

I agree entirely.

As far as travel goes your idea sounds great. With regards to things like ammo etc. I can see advantages to having to keep track of inventory. I can also see how it would make someone's day harder if they have a crossbow or bow and arrow vs a blade or mind powers. Maybe a good counterbalance to that would be to assume that in situations where the group wins/isn't forced to run for their lives. Characters using such weapons could be assumed to take a second to pick up their normal/not one shot arrows and put them back in the quiver. Could even go so far as figure out some stat based roll to determine how many undamaged arrows remain post combat.

Just spit balling

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Crash

It all sounds good.  As for numbers I would go with whatever the rule book suggests first since a few of us have never played before.  We can modify it later once we are comfortable.

Galactic Druid

I'll probably stick to something simple for inventory management, like shots that miss horribly and fly off, break, or are otherwise unrecoverable are marked down. Arrows are cheap and easy to craft, so it's not likely to be a very big deal however we handle it.

Numenera items take care of themselves, so that part is awesome. All Cyphers are single shot items, and artifacts like energy weapons or advanced ballistics that PCs can't determine the magazine size of are handled the same way; each time they're used you roll for their depletion. The official rule is that if a 1 is rolled on a die (different artifacts have different die rolls, a d6 may wear out quickly, while a d100 is almost infinite. I'm tempted to assign a different depletion number to artifacts PCs find, and if that number is rolled, that use was the last, so that you guys don't automatically know that was your last use of an item when you see a 1...)

Urbanzorro

Considering the setting that would be quite hilarious.

"This is my BOOM STICK!!"

*fizzle*

"Oh... Well Crap"

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Galactic Druid

*Evil GM cackle* And that, my friend, is the exact reason why I don't want you to know the exact moment your gear is depleted.

Some things will be more obvious than others. Some kind of force field or barrier will fizzle it pop on it's last use, but other items give no indication, especially those that use ballistics.

Crash

Galactic Druid

Numenera's sheets are very pretty, but slightly impractical online, you'd have to edit them in something like photoshop. The sheet generator I linked formats them in a very practical way, but if you'd rather do them by hand, we'll keep it simple;

Name

I am a __ ___ who ___.

Damage Track: Hale

Might: x/x
Might Edge: x

Speed: x/x
Speed Edge: x

Intelligence: x/x
Int Edge: x

Armor: x

Effort Level: x

Weapons and Damage:
Unarmed and it's damage rating goes here too.

Cyphers (Max 2) (3 for nanos)
-x
-y

Skills and Inabilities:
-x
-y
-z

Special Moves, Abilities, and Esoteries:
-x
-y

Equipment and items:

Artifacts and Oddities:

Backstory:

That'll be all we need to get started!