The Great Dictator Final Speech (1940)

Started by Samael, October 06, 2011, 05:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samael

The Great Dictator Final Speech to Hans Zimmer's Time 1080p

Recently a friend of mine showed me this clip, and I just cannot stop watching it.

I feel the things he says, more than 70 years ago, are more relevant than ever.

All the things he brings up are things we see nowadays. There is still an immense amount of injustice and inequality out there.

I don't want to say too much though, and just leaves this here, for those who may not have seen it yet.

I think this speech is just something everyone should watch at least once.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Autumn Sativus

We took at look at this in one of my classes last week and I spread it all around. I have a great appreciation for it. It's interesting to know that the intention was for this to be a comedy, then the war took a turn and this became a more serious film.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Shjade

That sounds a lot more like an endorsement of anarchy than democracy to me.

Not that that's a bad thing.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Xanatos

The fact that he looks like Hitler makes him harder to take seriously. I keep waiting for him to crack some punch line. Besides, he speaks of an idealic way of life. That right there takes his serious level to the bottom of the barrel.

Shjade

Quote from: Xanatos on October 06, 2011, 04:34:48 PM
The fact that he looks like Hitler makes him harder to take seriously. I keep waiting for him to crack some punch line. Besides, he speaks of an idealic way of life. That right there takes his serious level to the bottom of the barrel.

Quote from: Saffron on October 06, 2011, 03:05:31 PM
It's interesting to know that the intention was for this to be a comedy

It's freaking Charlie Chaplin, man.
◕/◕'s

Autumn Sativus

He is supposed to look like Hitler. If you watch the whole film (it's not bad) he is a German dictator who accidentally switches places with a Jewish Barber - the Barber is sent off to become the new Dictator (and you saw how that went) and the actual Dictator is shipped off to the concentration camps.
Us against the world

Oniya

Chaplain himself was very uneasy about doing talkies.  He wanted to make sure that if the 'Little Tramp' ever broke his silence, it would be for something meaningful.

As for the comedic aspect, there's one scene where he does a dance with a giant beach-ball-style globe that's pretty funny.

(For what it's worth, I've heard that prints of this film were among the many things that the Nazis collected to burn in Germany.  Hitler was furious with it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Autumn Sativus

Mussolini actually made a comment about it after watching (there is a character in the film to represent him).

The globe scene is actually quite great.

The Barber Shop scene is also awesome, you can find it under that name on youtube.
Us against the world

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on October 06, 2011, 09:25:20 PM
(For what it's worth, I've heard that prints of this film were among the many things that the Nazis collected to burn in Germany.  Hitler was furious with it.)

I can't imagine why.
◕/◕'s