Christine O'Donnell

Started by Jude, September 20, 2010, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on September 24, 2010, 05:28:36 PM
She makes Sarah Palin looks like a Genius. O-o And that..you have to actually TRY to be that moronic..it doesn't come naturally.

Also Trieste, if Write-Ins worked, Bugs Bunny would have been president since he was first introduced. O-o o3o

And Bill an Opus might have won in '88!

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Trieste on September 24, 2010, 10:25:30 AMYou can't have it both ways, folks. You can't have tax cuts along with free or low-cost health care.
Actually, you can - but only because the current system is so screwed up that a government take-over would free up tons of corporate revenue. Remember, health benefits are tax free thanks to an arbitrary decision by the IRS in the middle of WW2, when wages were frozen - that's why companies provide them. If employees switch over to a government-run program, the money that used to pay for health benefits becomes taxable.
Further, the core benefit of an insurance system is reducing risk by spreading it out - if cancer costs $200,000 to cure per patient, and hits 1 in 1000 people, we all just need to pay $200 to take care of it. The size of a national insurance pool would dwarf that of any insurance company, lowering costs tremendously.
Further, and this is important, health insurance companies are exempt from anti-trust laws! So is Major League Baseball, but that I'm less worried about. In many states, a single insurance conglomerate dominates, and can raise premiums 10-20% annually without repercussion.

QuoteDo we need to randomly not pay 10% of Congress, rotating on a monthly basis, in order to make them feel the uncertainty and stress of the current economy? It seems like we must sometimes.
This wouldn't work - they're all millionaires, and they all have lobbyists willing to buy them things.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

MasterMischief

Vote llama.  I'll make opposite-sex marriage illegal.

What?

Trieste

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on September 24, 2010, 07:40:44 PM
Actually, you can - but only because the current system is so screwed up that a government take-over would free up tons of corporate revenue. Remember, health benefits are tax free thanks to an arbitrary decision by the IRS in the middle of WW2, when wages were frozen - that's why companies provide them. If employees switch over to a government-run program, the money that used to pay for health benefits becomes taxable.
Further, the core benefit of an insurance system is reducing risk by spreading it out - if cancer costs $200,000 to cure per patient, and hits 1 in 1000 people, we all just need to pay $200 to take care of it. The size of a national insurance pool would dwarf that of any insurance company, lowering costs tremendously.
Further, and this is important, health insurance companies are exempt from anti-trust laws! So is Major League Baseball, but that I'm less worried about. In many states, a single insurance conglomerate dominates, and can raise premiums 10-20% annually without repercussion.

This wouldn't work - they're all millionaires, and they all have lobbyists willing to buy them things.

If you want to discuss health care or debate one point that I made, it should really be done in PM. While I'm not opposed to discussing things like that, it is off topic and should be in its own thread or in PM.

Wolfy

Quote from: MasterMischief on September 24, 2010, 09:56:22 PM
Vote llama.  I'll make opposite-sex marriage illegal.

What?

Now there's a Llama I could get behind.

....Err..O-o..I mean...

Noelle

Quote from: Trieste on September 24, 2010, 10:25:30 AM
My main problem with this woman is encapsulated by the fact that she says in one breath that big government is interfering with our freedoms and has to go, and then in the next breath complains about abortions being available on demand. That is my main gripe with conservative America, that WE DESERVE TO BE FREE FROM BIG GOVERNMENT unless it comes to imposing their morality on others.

This might be relevant to your interests:

Trieste

>.> Whatever you meant to link, it's not linked. >.>

Noelle

My mistake, it showed up for me when I posted it, but now it's vanished!

Fixed:

MasterMischief

...and harsher penalties for companies hiring illegals.

TheLovelyMaid

' O'Donnell dismissed the entire theory (evolution) as a "myth" and her counterargument is that if evolution is true then "why aren't monkeys still evolving into humans?" '

I just...I don't know what to say.  She DOES make Sarah Palin look like a genius.