HAITI FIRST OR AMERICA?

Started by sirluscious, February 06, 2010, 08:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirluscious

Okay so I completely understand why people would think Haiti needs assistance. But come on can we address our Nation's issues first? Sure there are homeless, starving, sick people that need help in Haiti but that does not compare to the mess we still have here in America! Recently a 7 yr. old raised something like $160,000 or something like that why couldn't someone do that for the poor Americans today and here? Why do we have FEMA and shelter to help out a whole another country when we got plenty of our own homeless people to worry about. It's been reported that there is 10,000 new orphans since the disaster. "Adopt a Haiti kid now!" ads everywhere. Wow where is our common sense? We got plenty of orphan kids here who would like to have a family. It is not our fault they believe in voodoo and now they feel like they kicked themselves in the a** by believing in all that. And now its just crazy how much we can care so much about someone else 5,000 miles away when we can't help the people living in our streets. That goes to show how caring and loving the American people are and how ignorant today's government is. Thanks for reading my rant. lol   ;]]

Albedo

While it's true that we have our own problems here. But if someone wants to donate some money to help a country that has problems 100 times worse than America has then that's their perogative.

Oniya

First of all, what does believing in voodoo have to do with the price of tea in China?  Just saying.

Secondly, most charitable organizations send funds to more than just one place at a time.  Haiti is getting the ads because it is both recent and catastrophic, just like New Orleans got the ads at the time of Katrina. 

Thirdly, as far as helping Haiti, sending money and/or supplies is about as much as the average American is able to do.  For helping the homeless actually in America, there are far more avenues of support that John Q. Public can take, from volunteering in a soup kitchen to helping people learn to read, in addition to donations of food, money, and supplies.  As a concerned individual, even if you have no money to donate, you yourself could assist people by volunteering.

The question really is, why does the donating John Q. Public not take the avenues that would help people closer to home? 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RubySlippers

The private charity is very American. What bothers me is not the government offering immediate aid for the well being of Haiti, getting basic services in there and opening the entrypoints. But our government leaders planning to rebuild Haiti and saying it will take years. THAT is not our responsibility that is up to the citizens of Haiti and private charity. I would prefer say a one year commitment with other nations and end it on a clear date say the start of Feb 2011.

And why are our states pretty much shamed into taking expensive patiants from Haiti that need care aren't there many nations like those in the EU and others that could take them. Florida for one is not a rich state and we have our own needy that deserve care over the costs on non-citizens. Unless charities agree to pay for it.

Sabby

Quote from: sirluscious on February 06, 2010, 08:31:33 PM
Okay so I completely understand why people would think Haiti needs assistance. But come on can we address our Nation's issues first? Sure there are homeless, starving, sick people that need help in Haiti but that does not compare to the mess we still have here in America! Recently a 7 yr. old raised something like $160,000 or something like that why couldn't someone do that for the poor Americans today and here? Why do we have FEMA and shelter to help out a whole another country when we got plenty of our own homeless people to worry about. It's been reported that there is 10,000 new orphans since the disaster. "Adopt a Haiti kid now!" ads everywhere. Wow where is our common sense? We got plenty of orphan kids here who would like to have a family. It is not our fault they believe in voodoo and now they feel like they kicked themselves in the a** by believing in all that. And now its just crazy how much we can care so much about someone else 5,000 miles away when we can't help the people living in our streets. That goes to show how caring and loving the American people are and how ignorant today's government is. Thanks for reading my rant. lol   ;]]

Wall of text. Check.
Patriotic ignorance. Check.
Ending your presentation like an 8th grade book report, with a 'lol'. Check.
Bringing religion in where it has no meaning. Check.
Unapproved? Oh you KNOW I'm checking that one...

Good luck getting in man.

sirluscious

Destiny Ascension

Er, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Haiti dominantly Christian in religious belief? I honestly don't know a lot about the country and its cultures, if you want to call it that(Pre-earthquake, I wouldn't really call Haiti a 'country' more like a country-in-progress given its lack of actually developing).

But that said, yeah, I agree. We have our own issues to worry about, and while its nice to see people getting food and medical supplies in there, overall rebuilding Haiti is out of the question. We don't have the money, and our deficit is growing with our two nice little wars, and that thing we used to call an economy now sitting in the toilet. Not to mention our own unemployment going up nicely, I'm kind of curious as to how exactly we PLAN on rebuilding a nation that has no foundation? Its all nice and joyful to say a nation is built on its community, but Haiti's people couldn't build themselves up before a natural distaster destroyed everything... I can't see it doing it now.

On the idea of helping ourselves first, the average American or Canadian homeless person has resoures like soup kitchens to get fed, people in Haiti do not even have a central government to feel protected or looked after by, so outside help is the only help coming.

Its likely just political grandstanding by the useless talking heads in DC... our government did zip for US this year, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were in Haiti...

(Note: I'm not saying donating in the name of getting food, water and medical supplies to Haiti is bad, I've done it and I probably will again, but my point surrounds the idea we can rebuild Haiti)
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Sabby

You did zero research, came across a little offensive and worded it like a bored highschooler who didn't actually read the book he was reporting he on... I'm not being negative. I'm being mildly observant :P

sirluscious

Shutup. People like you waste my time.

Kip

Right, for the last couple of posts -

Commentary of a personal nature is not appropriate.  Discuss the issues brought up in a considered and thoughtful manner but do not resort to personal attacks please.

The thread has been locked for people to take a step back and will be unlocked when that is likely to have occured.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~