Looking for DM & Group for Pathfinder 1e High Level game

Started by Vergil Tanner, January 15, 2021, 12:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjrbatou

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 22, 2021, 12:27:33 PM
So a city focused archetype would be quite fitting?
In most cases, yes.  There may be some quests or encounters in non-urban environments but most activity should be in/around the city.

pdragon

What level would you start us at? I know Vergil needs minimum 11 for his build, would you be willing to go an even 12?
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

mjrbatou

Quote from: pdragon on February 22, 2021, 01:30:51 PM
What level would you start us at? I know Vergil needs minimum 11 for his build, would you be willing to go an even 12?
I will post character creation at some point, but for now it will be

20 point buy
Level 13 (most characters should be securely in their builds with some room still to grow)

mjrbatou

Background skills
Traits (only 2)
150,000 starting gold value.  The highest value item should not be greater than 50k and other items should not be more than 30k.  Masterworked item costs and things very close to these values are ok (that is, the masterwork component and the base price of gear wont count, unless its something like a mithral full plate or other expensive component)

Blinkin

Quick question, would you allow a ddrawback for a third trait? I'm thinking about the drawback that we gave Lydia.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

mjrbatou

Quote from: Blinkin on February 22, 2021, 05:53:57 PM
Quick question, would you allow a ddrawback for a third trait? I'm thinking about the drawback that we gave Lydia.
Characters can take a drawback if they wish, but I won't allow a third trait for it.

If you really want a third trait, you can choose a lesser curse from the same list or suggest a new one.
- the effect will be weaker than the ones used in the other shadowspire game, but trigger more often.  My problem with the official drawbacks is that I have never seen one trigger since players started taking them.

Vergil Tanner

Why does everybody seem to love 20pb? I hate 20 point buy xD Give me 25 or give me death! ;_;

Srsly though. As much as I hate how limiting 20pb is, I can live with it. Grumpily. xD
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

pdragon

Request Thread

Blinkin

*Sneaks up behind Virgil with a long dagger, lifts his arm high and strikes!*

And stabs the badly chipped support pole straight in the back!!

Gol! I hate when that happens. I could smell him a mile away! *Sneezes all over Virgil* "It may be a slow, horrible death, but we're waiting for a really bad version soon to put all of us out of our misery. Maybe it'll be the Maralo strain.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Vergil Tanner

I'll be playing an Ifrit Overwhelming Soul Kineticist / Monk Unchained multiclass. Not optimal, but hilarious. :P

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Chulanowa

Blinkin

Ok, I have what is probably a stupid question about EITR. If Power Attack, Deadly Aim and, I assume pirannah Strike are no longer feats, but "options", how do you use them? Or, can you use the "option"?

I had thought, from a past browsing that the document was several pages long, but I must be thinking of something else as it's not more than most of one page.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vergil Tanner

They're options as in, anybody with at least +1 BaB can use them as if they had the feats. They're an "option" like a character that has the feat has the "option" of accepting the penalty to get the bonus. A character with Power Attack isn't obliged to take the penalty, they get to choose whether they do it or not. So effectively, every character with BaB +1 or greater is treated as if they had those feats, if that makes sense?

With my character, I was gonna make her an exiled royal of some kind (Gotta lean into the Starfire flavour, after all!), so if anybody wants some kind of connection related to her backstory, just HMU <3

Blinkin

Ok, That made sense and I have a feat slot open now. lol

I'm always open to backgrounds and stories. All I have at the moment is a male swashbuckler with, perhaps, a bad accent... if I can pull off writing it. More to come as I flesh it out.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

pdragon

I'm going for a tiefling gunslinger/spiritualist

And this was probably already mentioned but just to confirm this is going to be in the same universe as the other Shadowspire game right? Where on the timeline is it going to be compared to that?

Request Thread

mjrbatou

Quote from: Blinkin on February 23, 2021, 05:25:18 AM
Ok, I have what is probably a stupid question about EITR. If Power Attack, Deadly Aim and, I assume pirannah Strike are no longer feats, but "options", how do you use them? Or, can you use the "option"?

I had thought, from a past browsing that the document was several pages long, but I must be thinking of something else as it's not more than most of one page.
For every +4 base attack bonus, at least for power attack, the character can take a -1 penalty to their attack for a +2 damage bonus with a base of -1 attack and +2 damage.

So, without the feat and using EITR, a warrior class with full base attack bonus of +13 can, optionally, take a -4 to their attack to add +8 damage.  I assume the same is true for the other ex feats as well, though I haven't checked those recently.

Quote from: pdragon on February 23, 2021, 09:24:11 AM
I'm going for a tiefling gunslinger/spiritualist

And this was probably already mentioned but just to confirm this is going to be in the same universe as the other Shadowspire game right? Where on the timeline is it going to be compared to that?
Same universe but between 50 and 100 years after the Tyrant was overthrown.  If the current party fails to or decides to go elsewhere, including the game fading from lack of activity, then another party is assumed to have overthrown the tyrant.

This could mean the other, longer lived characters can make an appearance if they chose to stick around...

Callie Del Noire

Hmmm... that makes for an interesting idea or two. ;)

indarkestknight

Is Leadership allowed? If so, what are the rules for building cohorts?

Does Shadowspire use the Golarion pantheon?

mjrbatou

Quote from: indarkestknight on February 23, 2021, 07:36:06 PM
Is Leadership allowed? If so, what are the rules for building cohorts?

Does Shadowspire use the Golarion pantheon?
the Golarion pantheon is in use with a few additions that differ slightly from existing deities.  I'll have to check them again but they still need a little fleshing out.

Leadership and Recruits are viable feats.
Cohort specifics would be handled by me, but most of their features are player chosen.  Things like race, class, gender, alignment, and one or two more things are selected by the player.

If the cohort is meant as a backup character, then they can be created with the standard heroic array as if they were a pc of lower level than your primary character.  They can be co trolled by the leading character as well.

The standard array is equal to a 15 point buy and is commonly spread the following way - 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Vergil Tanner

You said that if the cohort is meant as a backup character, they can be controlled by the leading character. Do you mean that you control the cohort otherwise, or were those two separate statements? xD

indarkestknight

The intention is to try out a two-character combo – a crit fisher with Butterfly's Sting and a heavy hitter using a high crit weapon like a scythe. If that doesn't work, I guess I could try to do something like that with a summoner and an eidolon.

Vergil Tanner

So, MJRBatou, I wanted my character to be some kind of exiled royalty or something like that. How much room for that kind of story is there in The Spire? Would that conflict with anything? Not necessarily royalty of the spire, but from elsewhere. What kind of leeway do we have with the backstories?

mjrbatou

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 23, 2021, 08:24:15 PM
You said that if the cohort is meant as a backup character, they can be controlled by the leading character. Do you mean that you control the cohort otherwise, or were those two separate statements? xD
I often respond on my phone and don't always see my entire answer or have easy access to information.

Cohorts as written are GM controlled allies that the player can specify a race, class, and alignment for.

As a backup character, a cohort is built and controlled by the player.  I will assume that these cohorts will be built as if there were another player in the game so I will be scaling up some of the challenges to reflect the additional characters.

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 23, 2021, 10:35:01 PM
So, MJRBatou, I wanted my character to be some kind of exiled royalty or something like that. How much room for that kind of story is there in The Spire? Would that conflict with anything? Not necessarily royalty of the spire, but from elsewhere. What kind of leeway do we have with the backstories?
Backstories are open for many things, unless you want your backstory to add something to the campaign then it's more a window into your character's reasonings for what he or she does.

An exiled noble adding something could be that they are actively being hunted by an opposed noble house, maybe bounty hunters trying to get a ransom, or maybe visiting family members who disagree with the exile.

Vergil Tanner

What do you mean by "Backup character?" I'm toying with leadership, I just wanna know what I'd be getting myself into xD I don't mind whether I control the hypothetical cohort or not, I just wanna make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Do you mean "A character I can play if my primary character bites it?"

As far as the backstory, that makes sense of course. Anything that adds something to the game would need to be approved. Would you be open to - closer to the start of the game, when we're all drafting our character sheets and whatnot - a more at-length conversation about the specifics of my character's backstory? So, things it could add, lines you don't want crossed, where in the world it makes the most sense for her to be from, etc etc? ^_^ I don't wanna step on any toes, after all, and I don't want it to end up as "Main Character syndrome." xD