News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dark Heresy: Shadows of the Tyrant

Started by Dakkon, January 10, 2014, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

I'm actually wishing we could start a bit sooner, the wait to see who gets in is killing me D:
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 15, 2014, 06:57:10 PM
I'm actually wishing we could start a bit sooner, the wait to see who gets in is killing me D:
*growls at* my sheet isnt done!  :P

ShadowFox89

Don't make me tie you up :P

Granted, I still need to do my fluff....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Found this on a quick search, think I'll use it to generate a homeworld for Leonora.

http://darkreign.org/sites/default/files/Expanded%20Star%20System%20Generator%20%5Bv1.0%5D.pdf
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Wargtass

Quote from: Darkling on January 15, 2014, 08:01:45 PM
*growls at* my sheet isnt done!  :P

Go neck!  XD
O/O

SGTDan

I'm with Fox, I'm so anxious I MADE TWO VERSIONS OF MY SHEET
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Wargtass

Not all of us can be character printing machines.  ::)
O/O

Dakkon

I could be tempted, but only if all the sheets are done. I have no plans on rushing people and will be very busy next week anyhow.

Muse

*laughs* 

How many application do you have, Fallen? 

I've held off so far because the competition looked pretty fierce, but if it's not as bad as I think, I might throw my hat into the ring. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Dakkon

There's only six so far. I wouldn't call it really intense, we just seem to have couple of very, very vocal people in here with us (which is really a good thing). There's only four spots, since I've found that going much above that bogs down PbP games too much. Toss one in if you're interested!

Muse

:)  nice, okay.  :) 

Can someone summarize the rolls/classes that have applied so far?  There's enough competition here without making similar classes. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Dakkon

Already done below.
Quote from: FallenDabus on January 14, 2014, 02:51:52 AM
Okay, so I made an idiot move and forgot to put a spot for character path on my sheet template. If you could please add that in somewhere, it would be appreciated.

In the meanwhile, both for my own use and for the use of anyone still interested in apply (you still have a full week!), here is a breakdown of the character sheets so far submitted by character path and by homeworld.

Characters by Path

Adept: (Sevatar Khansin (Male) by HairyHeretic; special Cold Trader)
Arbitrator: (Ritcher by Wargtass)
Assassin: (Fem:Ezio (female) by ShadowFox89)
Cleric: (Ishmael Dekko (male) by Baalborn87)
Guardsman: (Tarkus Antoz (Male) by SGTDan; survivor of Mara)
Psyker: n/a
Scum: n/a
Tech-Priest: (Sara by Darkling (female); Factor)
Sister of Battle: n/a
Battle Sister: n/a

No Applications (yet): Psyker, Scum, Sister of Battle, Battle Sister

Characters by Background

Feral World:(Tarkus Antoz (Male) by SGTDan)
Hive World: n/a
Imperial World: n/a
Void Born: (Ishmael Dekko (male) by Baalborn87; Orbital Station)
Schola Progenium: (Sevatar Khansin (male) by HairyHeretic; Blighted Schola), (Tarkus Antoz (Male) by SGTDan)
Forge World: (Sara by Darkling (female))
Shrine World: n/a
Noble Born: (Fem:Ezio (female) by ShadowFox89)
Monastic Upbringing: n/a
Famulous Protege: n/a
Mind Cleansed: (Ritcher (male) by Wargtass)

No Applications (yet):
Imperial World, Hive World, Shrine World, Famulous Protege, Monestic Upbringing

Muse

Here's the bare bones of Zee, much fluff still to come. 

Name:         Zee
Birth Planet:      Gunmettal City (specific hive world) 
Class:         Imperial Psyker

Background:      Factory dregs. 
Eyes:         Crystalline Purple prosthetic. 
Skin         Coppery
Hair:         Died Neon Purple
Handedness      Right
Height         1.70 Meters
Weight         60kg
Quirks:      Outrageous hair and an electoo. 

Divination;      “Do not ask why you serve, only ask how.” 

EXP         400/000

Weapon Skill      32
Ballistic Skill      46
Strength      32
Toughness      28
Agility         34
Intelligence      31
Perception      30
Willpower      41
Fellowship      40

Corruption      0
Insanity      0

Fate Points      2
Wounds      11

Half Move      3
Full Move      6
Charge         9
Run         18

Skills:            Trained   +10   +20   +30      Total
Invocation (WP)      *                  36
Literacy (Int)         *                  30
Psyniscience (Per)      *                  31
S.L. Low Gothic (Int)      *                  31
S.L. Metalican    (Int)      *                  31
Tech Use (Int, Basic)                        15
Trade: Merchant (Fel)      *                  40

Talents: 
--Meditation
--Melee Weapon Training: Primative
--Pistol Weapon Training (Las)
--Pistol Weapon Training (SP)
--Psy Rating 1
--Quick Draw

Traits
Caves of Steel: Tech Use (int) is a Basic Skill. 
Hivebound: -10 to all survival (Int) tests, and -5 to all other intelgience tests out of proper habitat. 
Sanctioned Psyker: Optical Rupture
Speak Language: Metalican Hive Dialect
Packing Iron: -5 to all tests if ever caught without a useable gun. 
Way of the Gun: +5 Ballistic Skill, Pistol Training (SP), +5 to Tech Use tests involving projectile firearms. 
Wary: +1 Initiative

Gear: 
Book of Imperial Saints
Clothing, 2 Outfits
Common Quality Cybernetic Optics
Psy Focus
Sanctioning Brand

Psychic Powers: 
Call item   (5)
Healer      (7)
Unatural Aim   (8)

Armor
--Flak Jacket (3, Body, Arms, Legs)

Weapons:
--Compact Las Pistol, 1 Charge Pack, 1 Hotshot Charge
--Knife (psykana Mercy Blade)
--Stub Automatic with Red Dot Laser Site
----2 Clips of Standard Amo
----20 Bullets
----2 Clips of Manstopper Bullets
----18 Bullets
--Sword

Thrones   37

Advances: 
(100)   Willpower, Simple

Dakkon

Here's a question for you gals/guys... What type of genre would you prefer? The big split would be between action/adventure and investigation/mystery. I plan on using both and am currently leaning towards emphasizing the latter, but wanted to double check what you people would like before I got too deep into planning.

Muse

I like those themes.  :)  Recent experience in online gaming suggests emphasizing the first might be better.  :) 

HairyHeretic

I'm happy to go with a mixture of either.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Wargtass

I'd rather go with investigation/mystery with a little action/adventure evenly peppered into it. Salt and pepper on the mash, so to say.
O/O

ShadowFox89

Build around the characters you pick, I'd say. If we have half social/investigation and half combat, then going with one over the other means half the group will be bored while the others do all the work.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HairyHeretic

Also a very good point. That being said, a mixed group ought to be able to handle most things, and even if a character isn't wholely in their element, as long as they're not completely one dimensional in scope, they should be able to contribute something in any situation.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

SGTDan

Although being more action orientated doesn't mean I can't aide the others, I am capable of critical thinking and logic. So more mystery and investigation will suit me just fine since I can give my brain some work and not just my guns.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

ShadowFox89

Well, I did take Inquiry with Leonora so that she won't be completely useless while doing investigations.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dakkon

Well, I think this is a good time to talk about something I mentioned in the initial post, but haven't really explained yet. Here’s a full description how skill tests are going to work.

As opposed to most tests a single roll of the dice, I'd like to try portraying most of them as skill challenges. The idea is to try and create some role playing opportunities while not locking anyone out of a particular scene because they don't have a certain skill advance.

Each challenge will have degrees of success and failure. You may not succeed at everything completely, but you should be able to to succeed enough to keep things moving. Additionally, you'll get opportunities to improve your success. I call these complication tasks. If the random dice god commits heresy does not go your way, I'll give the opportunity to make another roll, although that opportunity would come at some sort of a cost that could complicate things down the road and the number of retries you get will be limited.

I’ll give you a variety of actions that you can pick from, although you are always free to make up your own action or decide you’ve done well enough. Each time you make another roll, you gain a cumulative +5 bonus to the characteristic you are testing against, both for the current roll and the previous result. While I know that may seem a bit counterintuitive, it is predicated on two assumptions. Number one, that previous actions have a positive impact on the situation, so things are becoming easier. Number two, you are agents of the Inquisition, albeit novice ones. You still got picked for a reason and are likely going to be successful in the end. There are many ways for the universe to be grim dark, but failure drives people away from PbP games in my experience.

When determining how successful the test is, I will be looking at how close the roll is to passing the test with that characteristic. In most cases, if the roll is closer than a previous test/characteristic pair, I will take the ned roll. If not, it will add a +5 to the previous roll’s characteristic score and we can continue from there.

Make sense? I've used this in a couple of PbP games so far, including one here, and the response has been positive. I want to try and create as many RP opportunities as possible, both in and out of combat, as well as encourage and reward creativity.

ChaoticSky

Mhm, that almost sounds like FATE's system. My only concern is the retries you mentioned, i generally disapprove of that sort of thing. Failing a roll is part of these games too, and can make even more interesting results than passing sometimes. Being allowed to try again (and again) in exchange for some penalty feels alittle.... fudgey? It might not be the desired outcome by a player or GM, but the results of a fail shake up the monotony

It also devalues Fate Points, the spending of which is to allow rerolls 90+% of the time.

Pumpkin Seeds

When are character submissions due by?