News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Fable III

Started by Inkidu, July 14, 2010, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Okay so Fable III is slated to hit shelves sometime this October. I've read the Game Informer article and am just as excited and happy as I am wary of strangers with candy. I have never had such a love-hate relationship with a game series as much as Fable. Some aspects rock, while others fall short, I-can't-believe-it-doesn't-have-this short.

Old Petey (which is what I call him) has at least, according to the bit of text, acknowledged his shortcomings. I'm still wary. He says he's going to give the players and Assassin's Creed 2-style Villa to enjoy. Cool I like that. He says he's going to work on the female avatar's looks. Bonus! He say's he's going to expand the co-op (could really care less but okay) and also the weapons evolving looks really neat, I haven't seen on a level of it depends on what you kill.

I also like that Albion goes through sociopolitical changes and the guns are gorgeous. Still, is Petey bouncing another check?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Galanthor

Nobody should ever talk about fable before it's out as you just can't rely on what peter says...he's caught in his dreamy world where he has unlimited resources making everything he dreams of come true

Inkidu

Quote from: Galanthor on July 14, 2010, 04:51:41 PM
Nobody should ever talk about fable before it's out as you just can't rely on what peter says...he's caught in his dreamy world where he has unlimited resources making everything he dreams of come true
That's kind of like saying I should stay dry while swimming. Personally the only thing I want him to work on is his games' length.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Xanatos

Hype is generally a bad thing; I can't tell you how many times Hype has killed a decent movie and killed one for me. Basically what Galanthor was saying (I assume anyways), was don't get hyped up. All hype anymore is just another tool to get a momentary boost in sales, in the hopes that it can carry a game/movie, long enough to develop a following which then brings in the bucks. From what I have seen hype is quite a double edged sword.

You can stay dry, just get wet when its time to actually do the swimming, and don't dip your toes in the water, hoping that its warm.

mannik

I actually like Peter M...I know he tends to come up short on his promises, but I understand why. He gets so excited when he begins working on a game he can't help but talk about all the cool and nifty ideas he has for it because it helps hype himself up. When he says it, he does completely intend on putting it into the game....but when it comes down to it, weather because of time, budget, or game engine limitations, he can't include everything he wanted to put in. The result is usually still a good game (short, but good) its just not the game that was promised, because it isn't the game he originally envisioned.

I have enjoyed the series for what it was, and do intend on getting the thrid one, though I am intentionally keeping myself in the dark about its proposed features just so I'm not dissapointed when it does come out and X or Y feature wasn't implemented as promised.

Wolfy

Well, Peter already has high hopes for this game..he said that it needs to make $150 million to keep from "Withering".

Inkidu

Hype is impossible to avoid and no one but the consumer really wants to limit it. The old saying, "Any press is good press." comes to mind. I don't want to hype it and I'm not (as much) I'm just trying to hold him to his word. I think that the statement that Petey M. hypes himself up more than anyone else could is spot on target.

Got to love the guy's enthusiasm for the medium though don't you?

Wolfy

perhaps..but it still sucks when he promises amazing things, and fails to deliver on over half of them. >_>

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on July 15, 2010, 09:56:50 AM
perhaps..but it still sucks when he promises amazing things, and fails to deliver on over half of them. >_>
True but that's not just him. I think he's his own biggest critic though. Plus Fable III has John Cleese!

mannik

The biggest problem with his promises is he makes them at the beginning of the development cycle. Most game developers are very tight lipped about their games until they have a working prototype including most....or at least more than half of their original intended features...then promise the features that are working, and say nothing about the ones that aren't.

When he announces a game it's still mostly in his head, or just got green lighted. There's no real gurantee his team will even be able to make half the stuff work, but he keeps running through the list of every thing he wants in it anyway...because its awesome.

You have to understand, the games he wanted to make was so much more awesome than the ones he did, but because he was trying to make them so badassed in the first place, he winds up making a fun and enjoyable game anyway....if taken for what it is, and not what it could have been/was expected to be.

He just needs to change his diction really....add the word try in there somewhere and he wouldn't actually be breaking any promises.

Inkidu

He does seem to find his enthusiasms easily. I like the approach of this game but I can totally see where it can blow up in his face. Cross your fingers.

MercyfulFate

Quote from: Inkidu on July 16, 2010, 10:42:58 AM
He does seem to find his enthusiasms easily. I like the approach of this game but I can totally see where it can blow up in his face. Cross your fingers.

Being excited is one thing, promising things you can't deliver on is another. One thing I think really needs to change is the whole emote system. It's too easy to sit there and spam the same things over and over and get the desired result.

The dog in the last game was a disappointment. I remember him saying all these things the dog could do, and really all it was good for was digging up treasure. Then he said the game was an open world, when it really wasn't.

Things like that.

Inkidu

Quote from: MercyfulFate on July 16, 2010, 10:50:15 AM
Being excited is one thing, promising things you can't deliver on is another. One thing I think really needs to change is the whole emote system. It's too easy to sit there and spam the same things over and over and get the desired result.

The dog in the last game was a disappointment. I remember him saying all these things the dog could do, and really all it was good for was digging up treasure. Then he said the game was an open world, when it really wasn't.

Things like that.
I want him to work on his length. I don't particularly care about the emotes they were really a multiplayer thing. The dog was fine I think most of the "What your dog can do" Was tied up in the doggy emotes. I would like to see expanded dog combat though. Having him take out one knocked down opponent at a time was lame. It's not open world in the GTA sense but at least it was expanded; and you could buy every piece of property in it. That was an interesting take.

roket pencil

tbh i think that fable 3 will e a real let down
how tcan they expand o n a semi decent game by polishing it up with pictures of new looking characters and saying

"well seeing as gamers are all stupid we'll take all the confusing stuff like magic and xp  and replace this little system called * you cant game for shit system *"

it realy annoyed me when they took away xp and then say ooo  know what you do will now change ytou r gun

ooooo
like i care about wat my gun looks like instead of changing that stuff make a better story line ( whihnch they might of done in this one ) m ake more of a choice of customisation such as more than 5 choices of guuns and make the world astully roamable and n ot such linear gameplay
this game is gonna be blown out of the water by new vegas and deus ex 3

so i thin lionhead should stop beating around the bush with fable and either change it drastically or just stop

Steam ID : Roket_pencil

Inkidu

Quote from: roket pencil on July 23, 2010, 03:30:16 PM
tbh i think that fable 3 will e a real let down
how tcan they expand o n a semi decent game by polishing it up with pictures of new looking characters and saying

"well seeing as gamers are all stupid we'll take all the confusing stuff like magic and xp  and replace this little system called * you cant game for shit system *"

it realy annoyed me when they took away xp and then say ooo  know what you do will now change ytou r gun

ooooo
like i care about wat my gun looks like instead of changing that stuff make a better story line ( whihnch they might of done in this one ) m ake more of a choice of customisation such as more than 5 choices of guuns and make the world astully roamable and n ot such linear gameplay
this game is gonna be blown out of the water by new vegas and deus ex 3

so i thin lionhead should stop beating around the bush with fable and either change it drastically or just stop
Fable has never been about the world. It's been about the character. What the character does and how he changes throughout the game. They're working on that. Your weapons become different based on what you do with them as much as your appearance. Experience is now not some random arbitrary number of points or glowing dots but is represented by the number of followers you have. Magic is now isolated to gloves that allows for wicked spell combination. I have my worries as much as the next guy but Petey M. actually manages to learn from a some of his mistakes most of the time which is better than some developers out there.

Like I said, Fable was never about "Open World" it was about "Open Character" which they do really well. It's obvious Petey is trying to make the game one cohesive thing that's not bogged by menus, and sure it's easy to apply gamer logic to it and say followers are exp, but it's still cool that he's trying to change up the genre of action RPG. Sure I'd like a bigger world to goof off in but it doesn't have to be Fallout 3 or GTA caliber, I would much rather have a game defined more by choices (something that does need improvement in Fable and Fallout 3) than by the sheer scope of its world. Scope is only good when your character is really set like Niko Belic.

Inkidu

I also found out that John Cleese has been recruited to voice your butler in you sanctuary. He needs to be in more video games hands down.