News:

Main Menu

Dragon Ball Online.

Started by Wolfy, August 07, 2011, 08:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Dragon Ball Online - Official Opening HD

Looks sweeeeeet...

shame you have to actually have been born in Korea in order to play in the beta, though. :/

Oh well..someone will pounce on it eventually and bring it to the States.

Also, you can become a super-saiyan in the game..by wishing for it from Shenron. ;D

Sabby

I'll never understand plots in MMO's. What I'm seeing here is a CGI movie of the main characters of Dragonball Z having adventures, which makes about as much sense Lords of the Rings Online being advertized with a clips reel of Fellowship. I remember when Conan Online made you 'The Chosen One'. Was like... really? x.x a game about anywhere from thousands to millions of people all doing the same thing, and your going to tell them right out the gate the world revolves around them? Thats so counter productive to an MMO its ridiclous.

The only way that cutscenes and plotlines can work in an MMO is if its written with the character being exactly what it really is. One of many, with absolutely nothing special about them but an entire world of possibilities for its future. Your a student learning from Saiyans. There are plenty of those, and you aren't even important yet. Get out there, make a name for youself. Anything else I can't get my head around.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 08, 2011, 04:18:43 AM
I'll never understand plots in MMO's. What I'm seeing here is a CGI movie of the main characters of Dragonball Z having adventures, which makes about as much sense Lords of the Rings Online being advertized with a clips reel of Fellowship. I remember when Conan Online made you 'The Chosen One'. Was like... really? x.x a game about anywhere from thousands to millions of people all doing the same thing, and your going to tell them right out the gate the world revolves around them? Thats so counter productive to an MMO its ridiclous.

The only way that cutscenes and plotlines can work in an MMO is if its written with the character being exactly what it really is. One of many, with absolutely nothing special about them but an entire world of possibilities for its future. Your a student learning from Saiyans. There are plenty of those, and you aren't even important yet. Get out there, make a name for youself. Anything else I can't get my head around.
That's one of my main arguments against MMOs, Sabby. In a word where everyone is a hero or a chosen one, no one is. Heroes are heroes because they stand out and do things ordinary people can't.

I mean think about it. One heroic Link can't even get any action from the princess he saves, what chance is there that ten thousand will? I mean it wouldn't even make the dungeons easier unless you wanted to fill in those pesky holes with dead bodies.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Braioch

Cannot be the only one who looked at the screen and went "oi! Resengan?"
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Aiden

You can't do anything without charging up for at least 60 min, only to be defeated within seconds and having to do it all again!

Shjade

Quote from: Sabby on August 08, 2011, 04:18:43 AM
What I'm seeing here is a CGI movie of the main characters of Dragonball Z having adventures, which makes about as much sense Lords of the Rings Online being advertized with a clips reel of Fellowship.
Then you're not looking closely enough, or you're not familiar with the show. The characters in the clip above are drawn in the same art style as the main characters of the DB series, but none of those are the characters from that series. They're just folks with power, and there are certainly plenty of those in the DB universe already.

That said? I have difficulty envisioning any way in which this won't be terribad.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Violence

@1:00 = "Ha!  No one will know I'm a namek now!"

I'm a little confused... I thought I rememberred Dragon Ball Online having been a thing like several years ago.  Though, I only recall Saiyans, Humans and Nameks being a playable race in that one... this looks like it has Buu-type guys, too.  I'm just wondering if it's the same thing in a different stage of development or a new project altogether.

QuoteIn a word where everyone is a hero or a chosen one, no one is. Heroes are heroes because they stand out and do things ordinary people can't.

It really depends on how it's handled.  In my experience most of them don't really try to give you the "you're special" feel as much as they try for the "you're part of something" feel.  Start up a character on WoW and you're mostly made to feel like you're part of your faction, as opposed to the legendary savior prophesized to that faction.

Or in DCUO, for the most part you're treated more as part of either the Legion of Doom or the Justice League.  But you also have parts in that one where you're sent into instances at the request of one of the big-name heroes.  You know everybody else is getting the same missions, but every dungeon and boss-battle is inside an instance so you're never running into other players while doing the really important stuff.  So it's easy, while you're playing, to get into a feel of "yeah, I'm Superman's go-to guy.  He comes to me when he needs things done."

Dragon Ball, though, doesn't really lend itself to an "us vs them" attitude, there aren't any real factions to speak of, and the fanbase would probably really want to get to feel like Goku or Vegeta saving the universe more or less singlehandedly.  An open-world DB RPG could work and be great fun... I'm not sure how an MMO would feel, though, personally.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Sabby

Quote from: Shjade on August 08, 2011, 01:30:06 PM
Then you're not looking closely enough, or you're not familiar with the show. The characters in the clip above are drawn in the same art style as the main characters of the DB series, but none of those are the characters from that series. They're just folks with power, and there are certainly plenty of those in the DB universe already.

That said? I have difficulty envisioning any way in which this won't be terribad.

W-wait, what? o.o You mean to tell me that the traveling group of a green skinned, antenna twitchy alien with pink exposed muscles in vaguely arab looking fashion, a scowling young man with a hairy tail, precisely spiked black hair and a chin you could cut cheese with, a bald shirtless guy with curiously placed liver spots and a third eye, and what I can only describe as Kirby's mentally challenged cousin who is on an FBI watch list, are just, ya know... a couple randoms? Not, I mean... the green skinned, antenna twitchy alien with pink exposed muscles in vaguely arab looking fashion, a scowling young man with a hairy tail, precisely spiked black hair and a chin you could cut cheese with, a bald shirtless guy with curiously placed liver spots and a third eye, and what I can only describe as Kirby's mentally challenged cousin who is on an FBI watch list that are the protagonists of the show?

My mistake!

Envious

The preview doesn't appeal to me at all. All I can think is 'wat???'

Shjade

Quote from: Sabby on August 08, 2011, 05:23:06 PM
W-wait, what? o.o You mean to tell me that the traveling group of a green skinned, antenna twitchy alien with pink exposed muscles in vaguely arab looking fashion, a scowling young man with a hairy tail, precisely spiked black hair and a chin you could cut cheese with, a bald shirtless guy with curiously placed liver spots and a third eye, and what I can only describe as Kirby's mentally challenged cousin who is on an FBI watch list, are just, ya know... a couple randoms? Not, I mean... the green skinned, antenna twitchy alien with pink exposed muscles in vaguely arab looking fashion, a scowling young man with a hairy tail, precisely spiked black hair and a chin you could cut cheese with, a bald shirtless guy with curiously placed liver spots and a third eye, and what I can only describe as Kirby's mentally challenged cousin who is on an FBI watch list that are the protagonists of the show?

My mistake!

I'm afraid your sarcastic generalization doesn't successfully cover your lack of attention to, or interest in, details.

I couldn't say without looking at some information about the game whether they're alternate artistic interpretations of the characters to avoid some kind of copyright infringement issue or are entirely unrelated to the main cast, but even at a glance they look different, whether it's recolors alone or simple stylistic changes. The art style isn't complicated; there's not an overwhelming variety of looks even in the cast on the show itself. If you lump entire casts of characters into a single entity because, well, they're all the same race (Namekians are all varying shades of green with antennae and that's their cultural style of dress), you're robbing yourself of an opportunity to know what you're talking about.

Sidenote: the bit where one Goku-esque character with brown hair runs past another one with black hair and looks at him in a surprised fashion suggests alternate worlds/timelines to me.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Violence on August 08, 2011, 03:45:12 PM
@1:00 = "Ha!  No one will know I'm a namek now!"

I'm a little confused... I thought I rememberred Dragon Ball Online having been a thing like several years ago.  Though, I only recall Saiyans, Humans and Nameks being a playable race in that one... this looks like it has Buu-type guys, too.  I'm just wondering if it's the same thing in a different stage of development or a new project altogether.

It really depends on how it's handled.  In my experience most of them don't really try to give you the "you're special" feel as much as they try for the "you're part of something" feel.  Start up a character on WoW and you're mostly made to feel like you're part of your faction, as opposed to the legendary savior prophesized to that faction.

Or in DCUO, for the most part you're treated more as part of either the Legion of Doom or the Justice League.  But you also have parts in that one where you're sent into instances at the request of one of the big-name heroes.  You know everybody else is getting the same missions, but every dungeon and boss-battle is inside an instance so you're never running into other players while doing the really important stuff.  So it's easy, while you're playing, to get into a feel of "yeah, I'm Superman's go-to guy.  He comes to me when he needs things done."

Dragon Ball, though, doesn't really lend itself to an "us vs them" attitude, there aren't any rea factions to speak of, and the fanbase would probably really want to get to feel like Goku or Vegeta saving the universe more or less singlehandedly.  An open-world DB RPG could work and be great fun... I'm not sure how an MMO would feel, though, personally.
It doesn't work either way for me. I play video games to be the hero (bad guy, chosen one, person of important import) . That's the only thing that really matters. So either everyone is a hero, or I'm just a cog in a machine. Both just do not appeal to me. pensibleI don't see any way to handle it correctly. Though I thought I got pretty darn close with my idea of what an MMORPG should be. On the note of quests, I don't like that either, because there's nothing that you can do in an MMORGP that hundreds or probably thousands of people are doing right when you're doing it.

Blizzard, MMOs, they're just people farming.

What they don't tell you about this DBZ MMO is that you have to buy each dragon ball in micro-transaction. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Violence

Quote from: Inkidu on August 08, 2011, 10:16:18 PM
It doesn't work either way for me. I play video games to be the hero (bad guy, chosen one, person of important import) . That's the only thing that really matters. So either everyone is a hero, or I'm just a cog in a machine. Both just do not appeal to me. pensibleI don't see any way to handle it correctly. Though I thought I got pretty darn close with my idea of what an MMORPG should be. On the note of quests, I don't like that either, because there's nothing that you can do in an MMORGP that hundreds or probably thousands of people are doing right when you're doing it.

Blizzard, MMOs, they're just people farming.

What they don't tell you about this DBZ MMO is that you have to buy each dragon ball in micro-transaction. :)

I get where you're coming from.  But I do think there have been some games that have come close.  In DCU I always felt like I was the hero, or part of a small team of "the heroes".  And everything I've seen about Star Wars Old Republic makes me think that the story is supposed to take center stage and make your accomplishments feel like they matter... though I have no idea how they're hoping to accomplish that in an MMO, honestly.

But you're right, at least in my experience, that there is a certain "lone gunman" feel that you can't really get in an MMO by their nature.

I think the real problem isn't so much that other people are running around doing the same or similar quests (most of them you can play solo and anybody else you see running around is just some other guy running around)... it's more that by the way most of them are set up, you can't really effect the world in any lasting way in an MMO.  That's where the illusion breaks down for me.  In DCUO I get to feel like I'm the dude who went in and saved the Flash and beat up Gorilla Grodd.  They do a fine job of creating that part of the aspect, I thought.  But every time I have to go back to Little Bohemia there's still a bunch of gorillas running around...

There's something nice when you feel like things you're doing have an impact on an environment.  It's why I like Fable and Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls so much.  Not to mention Saints Row 2... the game that stole my soul.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Shjade

Quote from: Violence on August 09, 2011, 12:43:10 AM
Not to mention Saints Row 2... the game that stole my soul.
So true. Though it's unfortunate the city is so tame after you've finished all the story missions. Who's going to get in your face after that? The cops? Pfffft.
◕/◕'s

Violence

Quote from: Shjade on August 09, 2011, 01:09:17 AM
So true. Though it's unfortunate the city is so tame after you've finished all the story missions. Who's going to get in your face after that? The cops? Pfffft.

I clocked over 100 hours on that game... @_@ so looking forward to part 3.  But yeah... even by the time you've taken out 2 of the other gangs it's starting to get a little too devoid of enemies.  Especially if you do all the side missions and get awesome guns and stuff.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on August 09, 2011, 01:09:17 AM
Saints Row 2 kind of surprised me because I played the first one first and it was a fairly standard GTA clone, but then the second one just wwas so great. If I had two things I just had to call for it would be more character customization (always looking for that) and an easier-to-manage wardrobe. Like a would you like to buy this again feature. I got real sick of drying to get another shirt because I needed a different color.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Violence on August 09, 2011, 12:43:10 AM
I think the real problem isn't so much that other people are running around doing the same or similar quests (most of them you can play solo and anybody else you see running around is just some other guy running around)... it's more that by the way most of them are set up, you can't really effect the world in any lasting way in an MMO.  That's where the illusion breaks down for me.  In DCUO I get to feel like I'm the dude who went in and saved the Flash and beat up Gorilla Grodd.  They do a fine job of creating that part of the aspect, I thought.  But every time I have to go back to Little Bohemia there's still a bunch of gorillas running around...

There's something nice when you feel like things you're doing have an impact on an environment.  It's why I like Fable and Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls so much.  Not to mention Saints Row 2... the game that stole my soul.

That's one reason I liked the 'phasing' techniques that WoW introduced in te last expansion and used heavily the new one, for all that it's too little, too late (and naturally, causing lots of whining about having to actually do quests personally instead of getting a high-level to do the work for you). Far from perfect, but the closest I've seen in an MMO towards creating at least a half-decent fascmile of permanent change to the world.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on August 09, 2011, 06:43:44 AM
an easier-to-manage wardrobe. Like a would you like to buy this again feature. I got real sick of drying to get another shirt because I needed a different color.
This so much. Soooo much. The wardrobe system in that game is terrible. x.x
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on August 09, 2011, 12:46:46 PM
This so much. Soooo much. The wardrobe system in that game is terrible. x.x
I know, right? Seriously, ad in a mail order service or diversify the stores even more. I'll pay oodles for the chance to buy a shirt in each possible color and pattern combo, just make it easier. At least you can swap back and forth between your wardrobe and the store you're in that's nice.