News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Brienne V Hound. I did not see that coming ... my jaw was on the floor the entire time and omfg his plea for Arya to kill him ...

Once again, Peter stole the show imo. He's so intense, he's brilliant.

Iniquitous

That scene was not in the books. Confused the hell out of me as to why they now have it that Brienne and Pod know Arya's alive.

And Jojen's death? Not in the book.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Stella

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on June 16, 2014, 07:16:38 AM
That scene was not in the books. Confused the hell out of me as to why they now have it that Brienne and Pod know Arya's alive.

I know! That is why I didn't see it coming. : p

jouzinka

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on June 16, 2014, 07:16:38 AM

And Jojen's death? Not in the book.
To be fair, Jojen is pretty much done in the books as well. He even mentions that he knows it and that his purpose was to get Bran to the three eyed crow, which he did.

What I am more confused about is the fact, though, that they don't have that much material for that story arc left. So what will happen when they exhaust it, will GRRM write some just for the show?

100% confused about the whole Brienne and Pod and Arya scene. Besides snuffing the entire arc of that story and their search for Sansa, the Boltons arc falls apart as well... I mean... why? It wasn't broken, don't try to "fix" it. I don't think the book readers are expecting these Easter eggs to have some surprise as well.

So bummed we didn't see Lady Stoneheart.  :-( I guess they will omit her.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Beorning

Hm. I haven't yet seen the episode, but now I'm worried. What are they doing???

Remiel

Quote from: jouzinka on June 16, 2014, 09:27:45 AM
So bummed we didn't see Lady Stoneheart.  :-( I guess they will omit her.

I'm still holding out hope.  It makes sense to kill off all of the doomed characters at the end of this season, and then bring her back (cross fingers, hope) at the start of the next season.

Iniquitous

She also did not have that big of a presence in book 3. Could well be holding out for book 4 to bring her in.

Rogue

Lady Stoneheart definitely wasn't a big presence until book 4....

I can't say I'm happy about the changes I've read though.... *is sad*

Remiel

* Remiel stares, entranced, at the bouncing Emma Watson once again.

Beorning

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 16, 2014, 03:08:44 PM
Lady Stoneheart definitely wasn't a big presence until book 4....

Yeah, but her introduction at the end of book 3 was a hell of a cliffhanger! It'd make a perfect scene for the season finale...

Iniquitous

They has too many other things to tie up in the finale.

Aiden

I have a feeling the new season will start with Lady Stoneheart and end with her finding Brienne.

I REALLY hope they bring in the Greyjoys next season, but that might be season 5.

I was not to fond of stuff on the wall. I still dislike Stannis a lot, so whenever I was reading all that I found myself bored. I am glad for Davos, he is my favorite character from that little plot.

ManyMindsManyVoices

I sometimes wonder how people think filming works... These people aren't stored in tanks where they wait to just film whatever's convenient for the story, money doesn't just pop up out of no where.

Casting a person just to make a nice 'cliffhanger' costs money. Continuing to cast a non-essential part, costs money (and is really not worthwhile for the actor if they aren't doing much). There are rules and unions and filming schedules that all come into play.

I'm happy with the way the show is being done. I get a sense of schadenfreude at watching a certain part of the fandom flail and beat themselves over the head about it. The only thing I really wish is that there were someplace where people were actually talking about the events of the show.
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Rogue

We have. And to be honest, I think we tend to avoid them. This thread tends remain spoiler free and we shouldn't have to hide everything we ever say behind spoiler bars. I mean, with any series, book readers will have a different perspective than just show watchers. It's inherent in the fact that we know generally what's going on and can enjoy when theories are shown on screen to be true or cringe when they take away something we loved.

Personally I'm okay with the finalle. My favorite bit about the Lady was that we didn't know who she was exactly and that's kinda stolen from us on screen....

Edit: You could also create an Events of the Show and Show theories thread if you wish. We go into book theories quite often so I could understand that. Have a rule be, leave the books at the door type thing maybe?

Lilias

Quote from: Aiden on June 17, 2014, 02:23:05 PM
I REALLY hope they bring in the Greyjoys next season, but that might be season 5.

Next season will be season 5. :P
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Remiel

I will say, having read the books, that I am very pleased with the liberties the show has taken. I'm not one of those who whinge, "waaaaah, but it wasn't like that in the books"--mostly because my memory sucks and I've forgotten most of the details.

But I'm inclined to agree with Ryuka. The show should be appreciated on its own merits. It even says, "BASED ON a Song of Fire and Ice" in the opening credits.

Rogue

Never mind that GRRM actually supports everything that happens in the shows.

Remiel

Of course. It's no secret that he's heavily involved in the script writing.  Which, I think, only serves to add authenticity.  But I think we're just going to have to accept that events will diverge more and more, especially as the show catches up to the books.

I have to imagine that hbo has some sort of contingency plan if, God forbid, something happens to GRRM. It's got too big a stake resting on the franchise.

Aiden

Quote from: Lilias on June 19, 2014, 10:15:05 AM
Next season will be season 5. :P

I knew that!

Also regarding that contingency plan, it was linked into reddit. Apparently the show's producers already know the outcome in the event GRRM passes beforehand.

Which sucks, cuz I heard for the books he has ordered to have all his notes burned.

Oniya

There's a thread in B&U where people have been discussing the events in the show using spoiler bars, but the thread title itself warns of potential spoilers.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Formless

I'm still going through the books.

But I am not sure if it was said by GRRM or someone else here in this forum that ' The show offers a chance to explore new possibilities that could not be explored in the books.'

I myself wouldn't mind that. There are times when I myself wonder what would happen if certain events took place at a different time or between different characters.

Aiden

Quote from: Oniya on June 19, 2014, 11:36:20 AM
There's a thread in B&U where people have been discussing the events in the show using spoiler bars, but the thread title itself warns of potential spoilers.

In the what? I am not familiar with that abbreviation.

Lilias

Quote from: Aiden on June 19, 2014, 11:17:47 AM
Which sucks, cuz I heard for the books he has ordered to have all his notes burned.

He'd rather leave the story hanging than have someone else finish it? That would suck big time. Back in the day, I was mighty impressed when Robert Jordan hand-picked Brandon Sanderson to take over if he didn't live to finish the Wheel of Time. I guess it has to do with whether the author sees the story as their own brainchild or an entity with an existence of its own... >:)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Aiden

I would take it with a grain of salt, everyone on r/asioaf can just be trolling. 

Oniya

Quote from: Aiden on June 19, 2014, 11:45:09 AM
In the what? I am not familiar with that abbreviation.

Sorry - Bad and Ugly.  It started as someone ranting about the TV show vs. the books.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17