The Curse of Millersborough (Questions and OOC chat)

Started by Remiel, January 02, 2018, 10:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

The time is the end of the 19th century.  Top hats and corsets are in fashion and the Industrial Revolution is in full swing.  The place is Millersborough, a rural village in eastern England.

Life in this bucolic town is peaceful and uneventful.  That is, until the rumors of something dark and deadly begins to spread.  Vampires!  No one knows from whence these unholy creatures came, but they are preying on the citizens of  Millersborough, and it is up to YOU to stop them.

This game will follow the typical Mafia game rules: each round, during the Day Phase, the village will come together to vote on who they think the Vampire is.  The unlucky victim will then have a wooden stake driven through his heart and his head will be chopped off, as that is the only known method to kill a vampire (unfortunately, it tends to work rather well on regular people, too).   Then, during the Night Phase, the vampires will have a chance to prey on one of the villagers, while certain roles will have the option to perform actions under the cover of darkness.

The following roles will be used:

Commoner (Good) -- a brave and loyal citizen of Millersborough.  No special powers, but has the ability to vote to lynch suspected vampires.
Vampire Hunter (Good) -- has spent his whole life researching and hunting vampires, to the point where he can recognize the telltale signs (you'd think the elongated fangs would be a clue!).  Each round , during the night phase, can target one other player.  Will be told by the GM if that player is a vampire or not.  His ability is wasted during that night if his target is protected by the Constable.
Zealot (Good) -- hates vampires.  REALLY hates vampires, so much so that he is willing to act as judge, jury, and executioner, no matter the consequences.  Once per game, he has the ability to eliminate one other player during the night phase.  His ability is wasted if his intended target is protected by the Constable.
Constable (Good) -- the Constable has the ability to, if he wishes (in other words, he may elect not to use this ability), protect one other villager during the night phase from vampire attack and all other special abilities.  However, that villager will be role-blocked and unable to use her own night phase ability, if she has one.  The Constable may not protect himself.

Mad Scientist (Neutral) -- The Mad Scientist doesn't care about vampires or villagers.  The Mad Scientist only cares about one thing: SCIENCE!  Her only goal in the game is to get herself lynched.  She wins if she does this.  In addition, if she is lynched, her unnatural creation will come to life and rampage throughout the village, taking its vengeance on one of the hapless villagers who voted for her during the next night phase.  If she is killed by any other means--vampire attack or the Zealot's knife--she loses.
Dracula (Evil) -- the original vampire.  Dracula has the ability to, once per game, turn one of the other villagers into a vampire during the night phase.  The turned villager loses whatever special powers they previously had, and now joins the vampire team.  Dracula cannot turn a villager on the same turn as the vampires kill a villager (if a villager is killed, no one can be turned).
Consort of Dracula (Evil) -- joining Dracula in his wickedness, the Consort will help him choose who to eliminate during the night phase.  Shows up as a vampire to the Vampire Hunter.
Minion (Evil) -- the Minion thinks that vampires are COOL!  So much so, that he will do anything he can to help the vampires win.  The only problem is that he doesn't know who they are, and they don't know who he is.  Perhaps he can find out by clever and judicious use of PMs? He wins if the vampires win, even if he is dead.  He loses if the vampires are all killed, even if he is still alive.  Will show up as a regular villager if examined by the Vampire Hunter.

Game Rules:

1. PMing is allowed and even encouraged between players.  Please include me, Remiel, on any PM correspondence.
2. You may talk about the game outside of E (on Discord, for example), but please be careful.  You don't want to inadvertently give away vital information to your enemy.
3. Please don't take anything about the game personally.  No one likes being eliminated, but it is part and parcel of the game.  Even if you are dead, you can still win if your team wins!
4. The GM (Remiel) reserves the right to make rule adjustments as necessary if the game is starting to drag on.  For example, if no one wants to make an accusation during the day phase, the GM might introduce a rule saying that the first person to make an accusation is immune from lynching.  Or if the game is hung up waiting on one particular person, the GM may decide to proceed without that person's vote.
5. Game rounds shall typically last about 72 hours (3 days) in real time.  If the rounds start to take much longer than this, see rule #4.
6. You cannot vote to lynch yourself.

Interest:
1. Yugi006
2. Madame Professor
3. Mintprincess
4. Imogen
5. Blythe
6. Rummy Tum Tum
7. Lynnie
8. NightOwl35
9. SithLordofSnark
10. Scott
11. Ket
12. Trieste

FAQ

Q: Once I have voted, can I change my vote?

A: Yes, you can!  Once everybody has voted, the GM will make a post saying voting has closed.  Until that time, you can change your vote.  Make sure to put your vote in bold, so it is clear whom you are voting for.

Q: If the Vampire Hunter looks at a target on the same night as that target is turned by Dracula, what does the Vampire Hunter see?

A: The target will show up as "not a vampire."  It will take some time for the curse to take effect!  However, if the Vampire Hunter looks at that same target on a subsequent night, they will see a Vampire.

Q: If Dracula is role-blocked by the Constable, but other Vampires are still alive, do the vampires still get to kill at night?

A: Yes.

Q.  How does the Constable's ability work? 

A. The Constable can protect, but also role-block, one other target at night.  That target will be told they were protected, even if they have no special abilities.

Q.  If the Constable successfully protects someone from harm, will either the Constable or the intended target be notified that they were attacked?

A: No.

Q: Can the Constable protect the same target two or more nights in a row?

Q: If a turned Villager is lynched, will we be told that that Villager is a Vampire?

A: Yes.  If a villager is turned, they lose whatever role they formerly had and are now considered a Vampire.

Q: If the Mad Scientist is lynched, can the Constable protect the victim of the Mad Scientist's revenge?

A: No.  The Mad Scientist's revenge is the only unblockable attack in the game.

Q: If the Minion is killed, would they be revealed as the Minion?

Q:  When someone is killed or voted out, is their role revealed?

A:  Yes.

yugi006

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Imogen

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Blythe

Rummy Tum Tum

Lynnie

NightOwl35

Well...I'm so used to lynching werewolves...I guess vampires are the next step up? I'm in!

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Mintprincess

Scott

Ket

* Ket jumps in both feet first, flouncy skirts a-flyin' through the air
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Mintprincess

Trieste

Remiel

All right!  That's a quorum.  I'll leave this up a few days in case we get any latecomers (and because I'll be out of town!) but then we'll go ahead.

I am particularly interested in seeing how the addition of the Mad Scientist is going to play out.

Mintprincess

Remiel

And the game has officially started!  First order of business: to elect a Mayor, who will have the tie-breaking vote (like the Sheriff in the last game).

As always, please include me (Remiel) on any game-related PMs.  Good luck!

Blythe

Remiel

Small rules correction:  Because I just realized that the Mayor has the potential to save the game for the Villagers, the win condition for the Vampires is now

The vampires win if:  At any point, the vampires outnumber the other villagers.

In some of your messages I had written "at any point, the vampires outnumber or equal the other villagers."

Please disregard the "or equal".  Thanks!

Lynnie

I am excited to play this!!! Though I made a huge mistake and tried to go back to the gym after five years to my old workout routine....mistakes were made. Instant regret!

Trieste

Oh noooo Lynnie! *offers hugs*

I'm excited to be a player, and Remiel is better than I am at rules so it'll be cool to knock the rust off. Thanks for running this, Rem!

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check