Light Topic: Five Favorite Films

Started by Natalie C. Barney, April 25, 2006, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natalie C. Barney

I was curious what everyones top five favorite films and TV Shows. Here are mine...

FILMS

1. Dangerous Beauty- About the fameous courtesan Veronica Franco and has beautiful settings and it was well done.

2. When Night is Falling- A wonderful movie of a conservative teacher at a Christian College that falls in love with a equally beautiful circus performer and the ups and downs. Some wonderful sensual and erotic sex and a really good story with fine acting.

3. The Last Man on Planet Earth- Men drop the Y bomb and kill off most men years before the film starts, cloning lets women reproduce without men, men are dying out, women conquer the Earth and except for closet Hetros women have other women as lovers. ~Paradise!~ In another hundred years after the end of the movie I figure everthing would be perfect.

4. Highlander: The Directors Cut- Great story, awesome concepts, spawned two TV series and a great collectable card game sadly OOP.

5. The Hunger- The most intelligent modern vampire movie with David Bowie, Catherine Denueve and Susan Sarandon a luscious lesbian sex scene with the two beauties and the mst disturbing movie. If you saw it and think the vampire spawn age and then are put in boxes to live in darkness until they actually die that could be thousands of years. That is just evil if you think about it. But its a classic.

TV SHOWS

1. Serenity- Died way too early but it was awesome. And no aliens!

2. Star Trek Deep Space 9- The most intelligent and deep Star Trek series of them all way too underrated.

3. Doctor Who- The longest running continuous TV series ever. Low budget made up by great acting and interesting stories.

4. Wonder Woman- Come on its Wonder Woman nuff' said.

5. The Outer Limits (either series old or new)- Intelligent and thought provoking science fiction that outshines all others. Both old or new you cannot beat this series.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Ariabella

Hmmm...so many choices.

Film:

1. A Knight's Tale
2. Lethal Weapon
3. Jake Speed
4.  Chicken Little (yeah I know, what can I say, lol)
5. Electric Dreams

TV Shows:

1. Silk Stalkings
2. Desperate Housewives
3. Star Trek (original)
4. Land of the Giants
5. Viper
Read my ons/offs. Want to one-on-one? PM with ideas

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=42859.0

http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=Ariabella

Alice

Movies - the easy one, because I over   indulge constantly.

1) The Princess Bride - True Love, Torture, Sword fighting, Kissing and Wesley... *sighs*

2) Blade Runner (The Director's Cut) - Although Harrison Ford was hot, the voice over on the theatre release gets tedious after watching it a bunch of times. Plus it's a gorgeous mood piece.

3) 9 1/2 Weeks - So sensual and captivating. I love how it showed the line of 'good' crossing over to 'bad' happening. Plus the slideshow scene was so hot.

4) The Matrix Trilogy - I'm counting this as 'one' movie because of the story it was telling. Plus, how can you not love the movie that showed the world how cool Latex is?

5) Wedding Crashers - So funny, so wrong. '...I'll find you'

TV - Harder because there's so much
1) I Dream of Jeanie - The outfit, the power and the image of a D/s relationship in the Kennedy era.

2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Too many reasons. SMG, Flying Lesbian Kisses, "No more Butt Monkey!"

3) Deadwood - A recent addiction. Who knew living in a Gold Rush camp could be so raunchy and wild? Also, against my will I'm learning a lot about the way the Wild West becomes Small Town USA.

4) ditto on Dr. Who - I /SO/ wanna ride in the Tardis. Ever wonder what else his Sonic Screwdriver can do??? ;-)

5) Big Love - Poligamy can be JUST so much fun.

RogueJedi

Um, Films are hard for me, since I am a filmmaker and I have been involved in films, so I have a lot of favorites.  I guess these are my tops.

1. Star Wars: A New Hope (and the entire series I-VI) - changed the whole sci-fi landscape completely.

2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Harrison Ford and Sean Connery, 'nuff said.

3. The Patriot - Ok, this is one of my biased ones, since I did work on it.  Shoot me.

4. Casablanca - A classic, and in my opinion, the greatest film ever made.

5. Pirates of the Caribbean - the swordfights, the laughs, and Johnny Depp (yowza!).   ;D

TV shows.  Granted, I don't watch much tv, and I can't stand reality tv.

1. Babylon 5 - a truly great series.

2. Star Trek: The Next Generation - a wonderful and enduring show.  I can still watch it happily.

3. 24 - one of the best shows for its buck.

4. Gilmore Girls - yes, I did used to watch it and I liked it.  *nyah*

5. Sliders - don't know what to say on this one, but I love John Rhys-Davies.

Max

Movies:
1)  Star Wars IV thru VI: Since it is all part of the same story.  Revived science-fiction in movies.  And you gotta love the Imperial March theme.
2)  Jaws.  
3)  Serenity.  
4)  Hunt for Red October.  
5)  Star Trek II.  

TV:
1)  Firefly.  A trend here?  Great characters, great stories, never get tired of watching this.
2)  Babylon 5.  
3)  Star Trek (original).
4)  Transformers:  Beast Wars.  
5)  Twilight Zone (original).

Anime:
1)  Neon Genesis Evangelion.  
2)  Tenchi Muyo OAV.
3)  Martian Sucessor Nadesco.
4)  Gun Smith Cats.
5)  Dirty Pair Flash.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Lyria

The movies were hard, because I love movies. All kinds. So I just pulled the first five that came to mind that I love.

1. Malena
2. Irreversible
3. Dogma
4. The Changelling
5. Miracle Mile

TV-Not so hard, but I could have come up with a couple more easy.

1. Supernatural
2. Angel
3. Buffy
4. Freaks and Geeks
5. Ghost Hunters
6. Bones
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

King_Furby

Films:
1. The Guyver 1 and 2 (Live Action)
2. The Rocketeer
3. The Quest (A jean claude van damme film)
4. Short Circuit (Johnny five alive)
5. Treasure Planet

TV
1. First Wave (About aliens and Nostradamus, who can beat that)
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
3. Mucha Lucha (Love that cartoon character The Flea)
4. Star Trek TNG (A big fan of Data)
5. Power Rangers (totally love it as a kid up until they went in space)
((I also like alot of other sci-fi shows including and not limited to Treamors the series, Sliders and a variety of other shows))

Only Anime I have ever really liked is Robotech (most because I read the book series which is alot better)

Ellyssa

Gonna really embarrass myself with this one, but I nearly never watch movies, nor any TV unless a hockey game is on. Probably the LotR series though. I liked those and the Harry Potter ones, but only mainly because my sibs were watching and I got pulled into it, plus I live with my head in a fantasy cloud all the time anyway :)

Not even sure I've watched five movies in the last five years.

Lirliel

Top Movies

1 - Trainspotting

2 - Snatch

3 - Lock, Stock& Two smoking barrels

4 - Full Metal Jacket

5 - The thing

5 Best Tv shows-Series

1 - Band of Brothers

2 - Gilmore Girls

3 - Criminal Minds

4 - Grey's Anatomy

5 - ER
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Zakharra

Top movies:

The Lord of the Ring, all 3 movies

Star Wars, the first released trilogy, with the other three after

Princess Monanoke

Pirates of the Carribean/Treasure Planet

I have others that I like far too much for this to be a easy choice, but when I get paid I will be goinbg to see Flight 97 and expect that one to be #1 on my list.

Xerial

Movies... erg... as a self styled ametuer movie critic, well this one's tough... especially considering I own some outright lame movies (*cough* Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter *cough*)... let's see... in no particular order...

- American History X: While I've known some to say it's over the top, I say it's eerily real, especially when the racism depicted is more subtle, and seemingly innocuous... excellent acting by both Edwards (Norton and Furlong), and a multi-layered plot with lead in to a moment you expected would happen, but does in so much more an explosive way than you'd think;

- Battle Royale: Adaptation of a Japanese shock novel (yes, it's subtitled, which is part of the charm)... what's not to like about a movie where a bunch of schoolchildren are fitted with explosive collars, shipped to an island, and forced to kill eachother? Plus it's actually got romance, humor, and some hidden drama;

- Resevoir Dogs: I am a consumate fan of Mr. T's early work, as opposed to the more recent slapping of his name on just about anything he executive produces, but Dogs is a standout because of the vitality of my favorite character actor of all time... Mr. Steve Buschemi. Seriously, the guy made Armaggedon a decent watch, and he shined as Garland Green... bring him into a movie with inventive writing and one hell of an intuitive soundtrack, and it's gold;

- Sneakers: Heist movies have always been a soft spot in my oft jaded heart... there's nothing like a well laid plan, epecially when that well laid plan is executed with style, grace, and a hell of a lot of dumb luck. Plus who doesn't want a Winnebego?

- Boondock Saints: What could be better than being able to cheer for two guys killing a lot of people? With a toilet even! I mean seriously, if I had to die in some form of violent way, I'd want to have a toilet to fall on my head... the stories I could tell in the afterlife. The acting's wild, but in a fun way, the story's the same... and it's got Ron Jeremy in it. That and it brings back memories of a good college roommate with whom I watched the movie at least once every two days...

Honorable Mentions: Dogma (Actually, the whole Jersey Trillogy), Half Baked, Falling Down, Tank Girl, and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels;

TV shows... them I'm largely out of touch with these day... except by the grace of DVDs...

- Dead Like Me: So profetic a name (as it's apparently been cancelled in Season 3) for such an amazing show. Clever without being annoying, and though provoking as well. Plus death by toilet is just plan great (See Boondock Saints above);

- DS9: Depth unparalleled in a Star Trek series, an actual full on Trek War, and Nicole de Boer... mmmmm... Canadian girls for the win;

- Dark Angel: With a backstory that is actually plausible (and in some ways eerily prescient), and some excellent casting, it's a fast favorite of mine... if only they hadn't gone through the story so dang fast season two wouldn't have been such a mash up...

- Firefly (and Serenity): Joss, you are indeed a brilliant man. First you bring us Buffy... the movie... and then you weild the mighty hand of vision and bring us the series (a guilty pleasure of mine, oh Allison, sweet Allison)... and then you flip a genre on its head by bringing us Firefly... if only FOX wasn't such a trash channel, we'd probably be enjoying the series still...

- Greg the Bunny - Now's your time to go...  ??? Say wha? GtB was insanely short lived (see previous FOX comment), but in that short time it burnt itself into my brain... it doesn't hurt that it brought Eugene Levy together with Seth Green, who in my mind has still yet to hit his full stride as an actor, but soon will...

Mistiq

Let's see... Movies

5. Bowling for Columbine - I know Columbine was a tragic event, but the gun documentry spawned from it was hilarious. (The that pro-uniform commerical, oh wow ;D !) It really makes you think about what a gun problem the U.S. has.

4. The Lion King - This my movie, I love it to peices. I do so love musicals.

3. The Ring - I found it hilarious.  ;D

2. Kill Bill 1 and 2: Such an interesting set of flashbacks, so much action, and all and all a great movie.

1. Crash - Well, a great cast of actors made it a wpnderful movie to see. A deep and true to now story made it a movie to get into.

Tv...I don't know

5. Family Guy - It was good when it began but after that Superbowl...it was all down hill from there.

4. Boston Public - I loved that show, it was one of Fox's best. Micheal Rapaport needs more roles like his on that high school themed show. (The Gym teacher.)

3. Nature - I love animals and I enjoy watching them in their natural ecosystems.

2. Dark Angel - I loved it too, for the same reasons as Xerial did. And hell, without it no one would know Jessica Alba.

1. Law and Order : CI - I am a law buff, my sister is talking a Criminal Justice class now and she gets to watch it in class. I hate her for it.

GolGol

1. Un long dimanche de fiançailles. Being a hopeless romantic and a world war one freak, this movie grabs the number one spot.

2. Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain. Again, a romantic movie, makes me cry and laugh at the same time. I want my life to be like this movie.

3. Hauru no ugoku shiro. Just simply beautiful.

4. The Alien Saga. I know it's four movies but still I want them here ;D

5. The Pianist. For once a movie where the germans speak correct german...

Tv:

1. Firefly
2. Scrubs
3. Bones
4. My name is Earl
5. Robot Chicken
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339