News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Halo 4, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition

Started by Question Mark, June 06, 2011, 10:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question Mark

Don't know about the rest of yous, but I'm a HUGE Halo fan, as evidenced by my bolding, italicizing, capitalizing, and underlining the word 'huge'.

So, when the next two installments in the Halo series were announced, the very first thing I did was...  Well, I won't get into what I did in celebration.  But it was glorious.  But the second thing I did was decide to share the news with anyone on E who might share my enthusiasm.

Anyway, here are the two trailers:

Halo: Anniversary Trailer

Trailer of "Halo 4" from E3 2011

Thoughts?

Aiden

Here is  my thought...I am FUCKING getting it. Holy crap!

Wyrd

I'm really looking forward to what the updated version for Halo 1's gonna be like. I don;t care for nor will I care for this new Halo trilogy thats now happening. I didn't even really get into reach or Halo 3. I think Halo 4 is just going to be *Yaawn* more of the same. Overall, this was pretty low on my radar for all the other great stuff at E3 this year.
Ragtime Dandies!

Question Mark

I play it for the story, which is why I'm PUMPED for H:A, but nervous about Halo 4.

Wolfy

I'll get the Anniversary one, but I'm hesitant about getting Halo 4 since Bungie isn't at the helm anymore.

:/ I mean, it could be good, but we'll just have to see.

SinXAzgard21

I am getting both for TGT, she is a huge Halo fan.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Wyrd

I felt that halo may have becoming a little stale in the last few installments. Maybe a new take by a new company can make halo awesome again
Ragtime Dandies!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wyrd on June 07, 2011, 12:44:38 AM
I felt that halo may have becoming a little stale in the last few installments. Maybe a new take by a new company can make halo awesome again

This is Microsoft, who like to shutdown successful studios (though not as bad as EA) so I wonder if the newly named 343 Studios will survive releasing Halo 4 either way.

Question Mark

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 07, 2011, 12:56:29 AM
This is Microsoft, who like to shutdown successful studios (though not as bad as EA) so I wonder if the newly named 343 Studios will survive releasing Halo 4 either way.

They, like most developers (Activision excluded, *evil eyes*), only shut down studios they can't afford to sustain any longer.  Halo is Microsoft's first born, their prime product, their ace in the hole.  I'm sure Gates would check vending machines for loose change before shutting down 343i.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Question Mark on June 07, 2011, 01:02:11 AM
They, like most developers (Activision excluded, *evil eyes*), only shut down studios they can't afford to sustain any longer.  Halo is Microsoft's first born, their prime product, their ace in the hole.  I'm sure Gates would check vending machines for loose change before shutting down 343i.

Remember Ensemble? Who (aside from Halo Wars) made a pretty good amount of money off Age of Empires/Mythology for MS? They got shut down for no practical reason. Yes, Halo Wars sucked, but their AoE/M games were doing good for the fans.

Question Mark

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 07, 2011, 01:07:38 AM
Remember Ensemble? Who (aside from Halo Wars) made a pretty good amount of money off Age of Empires/Mythology for MS? They got shut down for no practical reason. Yes, Halo Wars sucked, but their AoE/M games were doing good for the fans.

I'm sorry, but I have to correct that statement.

Halo Wars had a terrible story, but the gameplay was solid and fun, a successful mixture of RTS and console.  Still one of my favorite games to date (aside from the story).

Ensemble Studios was shut down right in the middle of the recession.  Microsoft, and many other developers, were forced to shut down many studios because of the economic sinkhole.  Ensemble was one of them.  Besides, logically, no company of any kind would just shut down successful subsidiaries just to spite their fans.  That's called financial suicide.  No, they had a reason, and it must have been a good one.

People, myself included, tend to paint the big companies as malevolent organisms that only exist to torment their customers.  Really, companies need to balance two things: making money, and making their customers happy enough to want to keep paying them.  The last thing Microsoft would do is shut down successful studios for being successful.

Callie Del Noire

Well part of the Ensemble staff got together and founded Zynga, yeah the guys who among other things to iPad/Phone app games and facebook games. So they are doing fairly well.

And here is why they are called spartans.. mentioned Halo Wars to a bud an he sent this link.

Halo wars Legendary Ending

Wolfy

Quote from: Question Mark on June 07, 2011, 01:02:11 AM

Actually, didn't Bill step down as CEO of Microsoft?...I remember hearing something about that, I think.

TheGlyphstone

A few years ago, actually. He's the "non-executive chairman' of the company, but doesn't actively participate in running it anymore.

Inkidu

The thing with me and Halo is kind of strange. Would I ever really play one? Not unless I got it on the cheap, but do I wish they'd just make books now? Probably, yes. From a story and more so universe, standpoint Halo is fantastic. However, as a shooter I find it novel at best and boring at worst. Which, probably isn't fair because along with CoD, Halo has set up a lot of the modern trends in shooters, both good and bad.

However, Bungie isn't doing the next trilogy if I remember correctly, which is probably going to be a problem for the series.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Okay... where to begin.

Okay, will start with Halo Anniversary. I loved Combat Evolved. Its still my favourite. Yes, even over Reach. And this is totally just a personal thing, but I DON'T want to see it remastered with the Reach graphics. I have my reasons. I loved Combat Evolves special effects over any of the Halo games that came afterwards. There was more impact, where as the newer games went all pretty and lost almost all effect in the process. Seriously, chuck a frag into a group of a dozen Flood. Ya see that? Ya see how the explosion is a mushroom cloud, how rubble is kicked up, and how there's shredded ribbons of rotting flesh? You don't get that in Halo 2, or 3, or ODST, or Reach... you get fairy magic.

Next, the Assault Rifle... wtf guys? x.x How can you keep fucking that one gun up? Its like your TRYING to ruin it.

And now, Halo 4... I'm actually excited that someone else is doing it. Face it, Halo is stale, and a fresh take on it is really what we need. I was kind of hoping we'd get a third person shooter, but I doubt it. Another thing is the rumour that Halo 4 is actually the first Marathon game. Oh yes, there's been talk of a link between Halo and Marathon for years now. Go play Durandel. Check out your hands. Looks awfully familiar, huh?

One thing I'm calling bullshit on, though... Chief wakes up and just leaps into action. No >.> That does not happen. Even someone whose entire body has spent a life time under intensive drugging and medical procedures, not to mention the most downright brutal military training (fuck, Spartans have armoured bones... they're like Wolverine) to make them the most fearless, steel nerved sons of bitches possible do NOT just wake up full of energy from extended cryostasis.

I know what your saying, Chief was up and kicking ass in The Pillar of Autumn... well, that was a short trip. That wasn't even cryo stasis, that was a cryo NAP, and if you read the book, you'd know even that was enough to make him feel pretty sluggish for a moment. So unless his cryo pod in the end of Halo 3 just happened to be right next to whatever this planet or ship is, Chief is going to be so muffed up he wouldn't be able to climb out of the thing for at least a few minutes. I don't know how long he was in there, but like I said, not even a Spartan can handle extended cryo. When he was freezing himself, both him and Cortana knew that chances were he would be crippled or dead if anyone ever did wake him up. He's not guna just fly out alert and ready.

Thats my rant over...