Safe Houses and Speakeasies - Complete -- Law & Order triumphs!

Started by Valerian, June 16, 2009, 11:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

It seemed like any other day in Chicago.  Prohibition had started almost a year ago, but the city had hardly missed a beat.  When the law created a vacuum, the underworld raced to fill it, and the bootleggers practically run some neighborhoods.

This neighborhood isn't quite that bad -- yet -- but everyone knows that the bootleggers are here.  For months there's been an uneasy truce, but now, things have come together in a bad way and the crooks have made their move!

Jack Callahan, owner of the local bakery and one of the most popular men in the area has been shot because he wouldn't pay protection money, and the town is in an uproar.  The police are overwhelmed, and half of them are on the take anyway.  Though poor Jack was shot three times in the back, the local cops have ruled it an accidental death.  It seems that the only thing to do is for the townsfolk to take the law into their own hands, and try to reclaim their neighborhood once and for all...

The Roles:

Townsfolk: Most players will be Townsfolk, law-abiding citizens trying to keep their streets safe, even if it means turning vigilante.

Bootleggers: There will be three Bootleggers, determined to take over the neighborhood, one way or another.  They may be outnumbered, but they've got the biggest guns.

Stool Pigeon: There will be one Stool Pigeon (Stoolie), who somehow knows an awful lot about what goes on around here.  This player can choose one other player during each night via PMs and request to learn that person's role from the storyteller (me). 

Undercover Cop: One of the few decent cops left, each night the Undercover Cop will be able to send the name of one other player to the storyteller via PM, and thereby protect that person from the Bootleggers.

The Rules:

Just as in the usual game of Mafia, any player can lie, deceive, or mislead as much as they think they can get away with, all in the name of having fun.  Please don't quote anything directly from any PMs you might send or receive regarding the game; but any information you might get that way can be repeated in your own words as much as you like.

The traditional day/night cycle will remain.  The first night, one of the Townsfolk (an NPC) will die!  The next day, the players will vote on a character to be removed, and will discover if their choice was a wise one.  That night, another will die at the hands of the Bootleggers, unless the Undercover Cop happens to intervene.

Please do not vote to lynch yourself.  It's just too awkward.

The Undercover Cop has the option to protect him/herself only once during each game.  This is a rule variation I found online that I'd like to try out here.

The Bootleggers will all know each other, but no one else will be sure who to trust.  Can the Townsfolk find the crooks before they take over?  Will it ever be safe to walk the streets again?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

The Players:

Aiden
Caeli
Kaz the Beast
LadySky
Maeven
Marguerite
Saffron
Saku
Stattick
Trieste
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Marguerite

I am putting my vote in for Aiden because he could have been the goon who got Jack taken for a ride.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Autumn Sativus

I gots a feelin' that we need to take somebody for a ride. Three times poor Jack got the heater to the back and them damned cops is too hard-boiled to gonna pinch anyone. I think it's gettin' about time we did somethin' ourselves, huh?

So who's it gonna be. Somebody took Jack for a ride last night, and now we otta do the same.

Now I don't know from nothin', but I been hearin' some things about that Aiden.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Kazyth

M'yeah, see.  It's gonna be coitens for some mugs, what wanna' come t' our town an cut rough.  Well, we're not gonna take dat guff from nobodies, see?  An word is on da street dat Stattick, 'e knows a lil' too much 'bout things, see?  M'yeah.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Trieste

They're known for being pushy. I vote the pushy broad that spoke first... Marguerite.

Aiden

"Listen up here Dolls, last thing on my mind was taking Jackie boy for a ride, I was busy with the broad on 54th last night with the killer gams."
Waving off the two votes against him, he orders a drink and relaxes, listening to the jazz in the background.
(I am assuming we are all in the Speakeasy already)

Trieste

(It's more fun to be in the speakeasy anyway.)

Caeli

"I know everyone is nervous about Callahan's murder running 'round loose," she said casually, swirling a glass of sparkling water around in her hand, "But Aiden's right. My man drove past that area last night on our way to a lovely jazz club, and I saw him piss drunk and stumbling into a hotel."

She took a sip of her water, brow artfully raised. "How do we know you're not the one we should watch out for, Marguerite? Why're you so quick to point fingers?"
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Marguerite

Marguerite glanced at the dame who didn't know nothing just as much as she knew nothing. "Why are you so quick to point it back at me who voiced first? Should I have kept my mouth shut and waited for someone else to throw around name? Think about it, we all have a shot and yet I am being blamed for having a mouth?," she questioned, wishing she had a dirty martini.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Trieste

Yeah, you're bein' blamed for havin' a mouth. You're either guilty or just plain quick on the temper and I don't like either one.

* Trieste flips her fiery hair over one shoulder and then nudges Kaz.

Got a light?

Kazyth

*watches the two dames go at it, wonderin' if there's gonna be a catfight sometime soon*

Sure, dollface.  I gots a light for yahs.

*a box of matches is pulled from his pocket and one is struck, held under her smoke until it puffs and glows to life*

There yahs goes.

Caeli

* Caeli felt like a headache was coming on, but resisted the temptation to sigh theatrically. She rollied her eyes instead, shrugging one shoulder as she ordered a drink from the bartender.

Can't we just have a drink in peace before we start pointing fingers at each other and fighting?

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Aiden

Aiden tilted his head back and let out a gut-jerk laugh.
"You are starting to sound like my ex-wife Caeli"

Valerian

Current Voting:

Aiden (3) - Marguerite, Saffron, Saku
Marguerite (2) - Caeli, Trieste
Saffron (1) - Maeven
Stattick (1) - Kaz the Beast
Trieste (1) - LadySky
Caeli (0)
Kaz (0)
LadySky (0)
Maeven (0)
Saku (0)

Yet to vote: Aiden, Stattick

There are 3 Bootleggers, 1 Undercover Cop, 1 Stool Pigeon, and 5 Townsfolk.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

LadySky

LadySky sits in the corner listening to all the buzz as she puffs away on her smoke. Finally she rises slowly and makes her way to the bar for a refill. It is quite odvious she is here for one purpose and that is to find a companion for the long night ahead.

"I vote for Marguerite." she mummbles as she waits on her drink and turns to survey the room full of gentlemen.

Marguerite was simply to beautiful and too much competition in the slutty LadySky's opinion.
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

LadySky

After scanning the room LadySky notices that trolop Trieste waving around her beautiful red hair and glares.

"If I had a heater I would take that dame for a ride." she whispers quietly.

Walking over to the band she begins to dance, odviously showing her gams off for any swell who wants to watch.
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Kazyth

*swivels on his stool, turning his back to the bar and leaning his elbows on it as he takes in all the cheesecake and gorgeous dames wandering the place... and cattin' up a storm, to boot*

I don't know nuttin' bout no ladies acein' no ones.  I just knows what I heard, see?  An' last I heard, Margie-baby over there wasn't no where nears ole Jackie boy, God rest.

Maeven

"Old Jackie'll have his day one way or the other, you can bet on that..." Maeven whispered under her breath as she pushed open the doors of the bar and headed inside. 

"Accidental death they called it? Can you believe that?" she said to the bartender when she slid onto a seat a few spots down from Caeli. "Those bastard cops probably got a rat on the inside feeding 'em information and calling off the dogs on Jackie's murderer," she blurted out in disgust.

"In fact, it was probably one of them that offed him," she said and swiveled around on her stool, blond hair swirling around with the movement.  Slowly, she pulled out a silver lighter and a long, thin cigarette and lit the tip until it glowed red while she surveyed the crowd.

"I'll bet Saffron had something to do with it. I never liked that broad anyway," she said quietly and turned back to take a sip of her freshly poured drink.

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Saku

I think I'll cast my vote for Aiden since he seems too much at ease with all the votes currently against him :p
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Aiden

"If you want my attention Dame all you got to do is bat those lashes my way...no need to start pointing fingers at me."
Aiden glanced over at Saku and smiled as he took down his gin with a gulp, ordering another.
"How about we play some Louis and enjoy the night, who knows it might be the last for one or two of us."

Saku

Saku raised her brow when Aiden spoke to her and shook her head. "You're quite sure of yourself, what if I did take you up on that offer? Would I end up dead the next morning?" She inquired gazing over at Aiden and waited for his response.
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Caeli

"A night with Aiden?" Caeli chuckled. "I think not. He's the type of man who wouldn't do something that gets his clothes dirty. Right, Aiden?" She winked, then turned back to the bartender to thank him for the drink.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Aiden

He had to switch his attention from Saku and back to Caeli, but his smile curled across a corner of his lips as he heard the both of them.
"I'd be surprised if you even saw the light of the next day after a night with me doll."

Glancing up at Caeli with his smile curling into a grin.
"That's what coat rack was made for..."
His hand lowered the drink and slide up his suit, fixing the coat and making sure it was all in place.

LadySky

LadySky smirked as she overheard the girls speaking with Aiden. She had been down that road before.

"Aiden always takes care to remove the clothes before he attacks his victims if my memory serves me right." she laughingly said with a wink in Aiden's direction.