High fantasy game (MxM - mix) Perhaps a small group game?

Started by Sergeant, December 26, 2015, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant

Hahah Zhu totally! I really want us to have fun with it, like I said before, them getting into stick situations because of magic gone crazy would be cool.

Can never be too hyper enough for these kinds of games!
Like you said 'fuck the government' all the way!

Winds Of Lust

Oh heck no I wouldn't say my character is the reason that magic can't be used, for the governments long term oppressive ban on magic users freedom to make any sense that tech/spells/what-have-you would have existed LONG before MC was born.

I was more saying that he was taken and studied so that the Government could possible find better methods of dealing with rogue magic users/better ways to knock out someones magic/possible find some key to compleatly removing or nullifying someones magic for life with out the use of a spell or item that could be undone with the right tools or circumstances. This would make them a very valuable research asset to the gov.  As soon as his abilities were made clear MC wasn't given any choice in the matter. They were likely taken away and been living secluded in a research facility for their whole life.

That's fair, on the tech/magic point. Figured I'd pitch the idea, when ever I hear 'High Fantasy' mixed with 'Tech' I start thinking about stuff along the lines of gun of mystic fire, ships of magic flight and stuff like that xD But yeah I have no problem keeping them separate.

I'd see this character being rather sheltered. They wouldn't much of a fighter more of a run and hide and not get in the way sort of things and doing their best to help out from the side lines. Try to weaken larger magical threats or stop big powerful spell based attacks that would be otherwise hard to dodge or counter. So I guess I'm saying they'd be like Elizabeth in bio-shock infinite. Out of the way, trying to keep an unseen fireball from scorching you from behind or otherwise being helpful support type character.

Never done any small group games before, So I'm flexible with how ever ya'll like to play it.

Zhu Que

We'd probably be best off using a small group thread, just in case more people jump in eventually.

I'm cool with technology and magic being separate.

So, I guess I was thinking for MC's magic:

Illusion based magic
        Shimmer Cloaking - A 'force field' forming around his body that displaces light reflection, making him nearly invisible/see through to those around him. Benefit, he can use this even when technology could catch him with some of his other abilities. Negative is that he has to concentrate on it to keep it active-distractions can cause it to fade and him to be visible again.

Fuzzy Memory - Can cause someone to have a hard time focusing on him while looking at him; results in the person have a fuzzy memory of him and being unable to describe or recognize him easily. Benefit being able to gather information or buy supplies without much worry of being recognized. Negative is that he can't always be sure that it is affecting the target completely or for how long it lasts.

Darker dark (idk name) - Can make a room feel darker to the occupants; lights seem dim and shadows appear to fill more of the room. The benefit of this is that cameras cannot record it, so there is no proof that it happened. Negative is that cameras do not record this, so he can still be caught on video with this one.

I had other ideas in mind (maybe a couple actual offensive? Or defensive? Dunno), but I'm blanking on them right now, just figured this would be a start that we could talk about.

I do like the idea of YC (Winds) being secluded and sheltered, it would make him an interesting character to work with, especially MC being very outgoing because of his working with many many people (legit and underground).

I like all three already, they all are pretty different from what I can see already, and that is without their personalities yet. Means a good variety and rounded trio, I can see there being some clashing and that makes for interesting story.

Sergeant

@Winds; In that case it sounds really cool and a great route for different types of stories to follow. MY and Zhu's char could possibly bail YC out? Or MC would meet YC once he accepts the government's deal?

I think one of the biggest reason why I'd keep tech and magic apart is because ships that can fly because of magic would solely be then for the government.. But I love airships so if we separate them it would be more available for every citizen because there's no need for magic to make the fly, just technology? What do you guys think about how far the technology should go? I want to keep it pretty basic... Maybe more steampunk than actual modern. No phones or computers, etc..

Also, do you think there's a need for another player to even us out? If so, I can make a request in the group forum.

@Zhu; awesome skill ideas. I'll try and write out MC's after work tonight, got a free weekend coming up!

Winds Of Lust

Yeah steam punk-ish works for me. Flying vessels, guns and other unique tech based weapons, maybe short range broadcasting tech (radios, local closed circuit video monitors, ect)

How I see this sort of situation going would be your characters breaking into the research facility to find something to lift the binding on your magic and in stead of finding some device like you had assumed you find MC MC jumps at the chance of freedom and convinces you to get him out/agrees to go with you depending on how you'd like to play it.

From their the government would fight tooth and nail to get their Lab rat back, and perhaps if there is anymore of under ground resistance they're be just as interested in recruiting MC as a weapon for their causes.

I don't think there is any reason why we couldn't add another player, but t don't think it would be the end of the world if we see it lol

Zhu Que

Steampunk works for me. I do see that if technology were fused with magic, even just some items, then they would be government only, and that would be a limiter on some things in game. Steampunk is awesome anyways. Agreed, no cellphones or whatever, but yeah, radios (hand held and long range both) are preferable. Our guys will have to remember to practice radio silence at times when they are avoiding being detected.

About our characters finding YC, Winds; I was thinking that if we went how we were talking earlier...

Maybe our characters break in and get to YC, but shit happens and they have to escape without being able to get him free or get rid of the block on their magic. This leads to the government tracking them because, well damn, they're dangerous even without their magic. Government offers them the option of joining. One bolts, the other joins. Said character finds YC while 'working' for the government, somehow there is contact between them and the one that had fled. This leads to them forming an escape plan to get both the characters from the government and work on releasing the block on their magic.

How does that sound?

Sergeant

I posted a request in the Group looking for Players board. If nobody is interested so be it! I suggest we go over any leftover details and then get the story going  :-)

Radios sound good. And since I ilagine MC being pretty uninterested in anything related to technology (ironic since he yields electricity) I see him yelling through said radios and blowing covers or idiotic things like that while not caring one bit.

Sounds good to me!

So the item blocking their magic is inserted under their skin? I think that technology on its own would be an evolving one. Perhaps they'd get summoned to get the newer versions inserted once in a while (whole groups of villagers/citizens standing in line as if they were getting a flu shot lol) but I doubt MC would have done so. Meaning he still has an older version without tracking device?

Zhu Que

Sounds good. Even if others become interested, we can always set it up to bring others in.

Heh, MC will be so frustrated if his cover gets blown while in the middle of an important thing, lol. I can see this causing tension and something they'll have to get over and work together on. It is even better having three characters in this, so that there can always be a mediator to stop the other two from fighting or arguing, or something.

I was thinking inserted, it makes more sense why they can't find another possible means to removing it. They may not know exactly how safe it would be to move without the proper stuff or people. I could see it being an ever changing piece, needing updated every so often, especially when different types or 'levels' of power crop up.

Sergeant

Great. If anybody has a great name for the world please pitch it to me haha!

I'll probably get to writing up a first post, unless anybody feels they want to do the honors? We should make a forum for OOC too, so we can stop flooding this one lol.  <-- Once that's done I'll probably put a list of MC's abilities there.

Zhu Que

World Name Ideas -
Nydaseth
Tharen
Mirauri
Tiatram
Aciadien

I kinda lean towards Mirauri and Aciadien.

Yeah, and OOC thread would be good, and we can post our character ideas there, if we get more than three of us, we can always make a character sheet thread to hold them.

Sergeant

Really like Aciadien too. We can use the others for neighbouring cities and the like.

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=242007.new#new