What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

A woman is shopping in Wal-Mart, with a pistol in her purse. Her 2-year old son got into the purse, somehow disengaged the safety, and shot her dead with it. I...I really don't have words for this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2891673/Police-Boy-2-accidentally-kills-mom-Wal-Mart.html

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on December 30, 2014, 08:14:18 PM
Yes - he just seems to be moving to another team.  At the very least, 'he's gone' refers to being gone from managing the Newcastle team.
Which for hardcore footballers might as well be the same thing as dead in many cases. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Tairis

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 30, 2014, 09:41:53 PM
A woman is shopping in Wal-Mart, with a pistol in her purse. Her 2-year old son got into the purse, somehow disengaged the safety, and shot her dead with it. I...I really don't have words for this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2891673/Police-Boy-2-accidentally-kills-mom-Wal-Mart.html

Sigh... once again an idiot with a gun makes all of us look bad.
"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
- Robert Heinlein

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Tairis on December 30, 2014, 11:12:15 PM
Sigh... once again an idiot with a gun makes all of us look bad.

I know, my father never let me even get my hand near where he carried his sidearm, always made me walk on the opposite side.

In other news the voice of 'Babe" and 'Chuckie' from The Rugrats died.  :-(

Nothin but sad news today.

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on December 30, 2014, 10:07:06 PM
Which for hardcore footballers might as well be the same thing as dead in many cases. :\

Welcome to the English Premier League managerial merry-go-round... I'd put good money on the fact he's managing a new club within six months (and most likely far less than that and most likely Crystal Palace).

I have mixed feelings on Pardew. He managed my own team a few years back and did pretty well for us; he brought us some much needed silverware and a great day at Wembely after years of pretty dismal and depressing failure but he never got as much as he could out of the players and it all ended in a bit of a farce when he slept with one of the players significant other and then went on an ego-trip when confronted about it.

His time at Newcastle's been weird. There's been some amazing runs of form and he's overperformed a couple of times. On the other hand there have also been some truly awful runs of form, a repeated tendency to put players in the wrong positions and with the wrong roles, some massive tactical inflexibility and a sense that he tends to find something that works more by luck then by tactical knowledge and then sticks with it for far too long even as other teams work it out.

He's also somewhat been the victim of circumstance. The Newcastle owner has a pretty obvious strategy; buy cheap players, sell them at a profit, make the top 10 of the Premier League without getting high enough to make the Europa League and get out of the cups as quickly as possible. Year after year of midtable mediocrity is grinding on fans; it's very hard to get excited by a season where you know you'll never be in danger of relegation or a cup run. And while the owner may be at fault, the manager is the one who appears week-in, week-out and has to take the abuse.

Kythia

Quote from: consortium11 on December 31, 2014, 12:23:14 AM
Welcome to the English Premier League managerial merry-go-round... I'd put good money on the fact he's managing a new club within six months (and most likely far less than that and most likely Crystal Palace).

I have mixed feelings on Pardew. He managed my own team a few years back and did pretty well for us; he brought us some much needed silverware and a great day at Wembely after years of pretty dismal and depressing failure but he never got as much as he could out of the players and it all ended in a bit of a farce when he slept with one of the players significant other and then went on an ego-trip when confronted about it.

His time at Newcastle's been weird. There's been some amazing runs of form and he's overperformed a couple of times. On the other hand there have also been some truly awful runs of form, a repeated tendency to put players in the wrong positions and with the wrong roles, some massive tactical inflexibility and a sense that he tends to find something that works more by luck then by tactical knowledge and then sticks with it for far too long even as other teams work it out.

He's also somewhat been the victim of circumstance. The Newcastle owner has a pretty obvious strategy; buy cheap players, sell them at a profit, make the top 10 of the Premier League without getting high enough to make the Europa League and get out of the cups as quickly as possible. Year after year of midtable mediocrity is grinding on fans; it's very hard to get excited by a season where you know you'll never be in danger of relegation or a cup run. And while the owner may be at fault, the manager is the one who appears week-in, week-out and has to take the abuse.

My boyfriend's family are Palace fans.  He's from Sarf Lahndahn innit.

But yeah, the problem is that Ashley is a dick who wants a billboard for Sports Direct and a regular income, not to manage a football team and, as you say, its grinding the team I love down in to nothing.  We'll see a rotation of managers over the next few years I reckon because noone but Pardew will be willing to put up with his shit.  Sure, he was old fashioned and kinda erratic/full on batshit crazy but I think he's to be credited with keeping us at the mid table mediocrity against Ashley's dickwaddery.  I think we'll start to slip now.

Dear lord we need a fan buyout. 

consortium11

It's a strange one because in some ways Ashley is the sort of owner most clubs wouldn't mind having; he put his own money in to pay off most of the debts and the way he runs Newcastle is a model of sustainability; they're one of the very few football clubs to run at a profit, he hasn't really asset stripped, there have been few "fire sales" of players (he tends to authorize the selling of one or two stars a season unlike say my own team, Southampton, which got rid of five first team players at once) and while he may not always bring the best replacements in he does bring in decent enough replacements.

On the other hand his overall strategy (make top 10 but do nothing more, keep making a profit) may be a perfectly rational approach, especially when seen in a purely business sense, but it robs the club of ambition and magic. Top players will be sold... but why get invested in them at all when you know your own club will be the one trying to flog them off rather than other clubs prizing them away? Why get motivated by a great run of form when you know that if you look likely to make the European spots the powers-that-be will cut the feet out from under the team? Why get excited by a cup when you know you'll put out a second-string 11 and make every attempt to go out.

Pardew is again a hard one to judge. He's had a fairly talented squad to play with... but losing key players at key times makes it difficult. He's had some brilliant runs of form... but also some dreadful ones. He's won some excellent one-off games but lost derby after derby and led to Newcastle taking more one-sided beatings than any other manager.

On paper Newcastle is a pretty awesome job for a manager. But what talented managers would be able to take Ashley's interference?

Kythia

Yeah, managers want to win as well.  They want the trophies on their CV just as much - arguably more - than the players.  And we're simply not offering that, and we'll come to recognise that we can't keep a sane manager so Pardew was our best bet.  Until Ashley goes we got nothing to offer.  I want to support a football team not a profitable, sustainable and well run business.  Managers want to manage a football team, not a profitable, sustainable and well run business.  I don't think anyone doubts that our 11/12 season was done despite Ashley being a knobber not because of it.

But meh.  Looking forwards to your Arsenal game.  We probably need a separate football thread.

Beorning

Ha. So, you're a football fan, Kythia?

I'll allow myself to say that you're a walking contradiction of feminist dogma from over here, then. As our feminists say, football is a male thing! No woman is interested in it!  ;D

Kythia

Except for female football players of course. Who, I admit, I'm not interested in.

Yukina

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 30, 2014, 11:15:33 PM
In other news the voice of 'Babe" and 'Chuckie' from The Rugrats died.  :-(

Nothin but sad news today.

*plays taps*

consortium11

Two members of the National Front in France were expelled for spiking a senior member's wine with laxative pills following a dispute about gay marriage.

There's got to be a "full of shit" joke around here somewhere...

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on December 31, 2014, 11:48:10 AM
Two members of the National Front in France were expelled for spiking a senior member's wine with laxative pills following a dispute about gay marriage.

There's got to be a "full of shit" joke around here somewhere...
Seeing as it's possible to get really ill or even die from that prank that's the least of his worries.

In most states in America it's actually now considered assault.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lustful Bride

Supposedly the CIA is claiming that 50% of UFO sightings are actually caused by them....

http://www.inquisitr.com/1717208/cia-ufo-sightings-agency-claims-at-least-half-of-1950s-and-60s-incidents-were-spy-planes/

for some reason I really want to call BS on that. 50%? I mean I could believe 1/3rd, I could believe that but...... really? 50%? 

What do you all think?

TheGlyphstone

Considering I'm of the opinion that 100% of UFO sightings are spy planes (and/or balloons, pockets of swamp gas, LSD hallucinations, etc.), 50% seems a fine figure. Maybe a bit low.

Note that they are not claiming, if you read the article, that 50% of UFO sightings are deliberately caused by the CIA. Just that said ratio is the number of sightings that just happened to be U-2s.

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 31, 2014, 03:21:57 PM
Supposedly the CIA is claiming that 50% of UFO sightings are actually caused by them....

http://www.inquisitr.com/1717208/cia-ufo-sightings-agency-claims-at-least-half-of-1950s-and-60s-incidents-were-spy-planes/

for some reason I really want to call BS on that. 50%? I mean I could believe 1/3rd, I could believe that but...... really? 50%? 

What do you all think?

I'd be more skeptical if they were claiming 'all' or 'none' of the sightings were spy planes.  I have actually read the released data from Project Blue Book (it was in my college library, I was bored - story of my life), and there were a significant number on both the 'spy plane' side of things and the 'we've got no clue' side of things.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

Don't this read unless you are OK with morbid news. 
What a way to start the new year... >_>

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/12/31/35-killed-42-injured-in-shanghai-stampede-local-media-says/

Dimir

Here in Canada, four University professors have gone public with a formal complaint after male students on Facebook posted about which girls they would like to do inappropriate things to.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dalhousie-facebook-posts-completely-unacceptable-says-professor-1.2889231
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Beorning

Interesting. I made a separate thread about it.

Back here, the top news is another crisis in our country's health service. Due to a conflict between Ministry of Health and a big group of doctors, some doctors started to refuse admitting patients since January 1st. So, we have quite a lot of chaos here right now...

Lustful Bride

Terror attack in Paris: Gunmen storm newspaper building and began opening fire. 12 civilians killed in total.

Gunman are on the run with French security forces hunting them.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/12-dead-in-terror-attack-on-paris-paper-manhunt-for-gunmen/ar-AA7Snwm?ocid=HPCDHP

Seems that they attacked the building because they posted several cartoons making fun of ISIS and such groups.

Scribbles

These terror attacks around the world seem to be worsening rather than improving...
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Scribbles on January 07, 2015, 09:35:56 AM
These terror attacks around the world seem to be worsening rather than improving...

We cant give up, we can never bend the knee or allow ourselves to cower to monsters like this. I will not allow things like this to terrify me. I wish I had more inspiring words to say but that's all I have.

EDIT: You know what pisses me off though? How in the idiot filled comment section people are blaming everything from Islam, to Christianity, to Religion, to liberals and conservatives.

Everything except the ones who commited the crime! Fuck me its like most of the population of this planet are idiots. -_-

Scribbles

Honestly, I'm not terrified, the chances of me being caught in a terror attack are slim to none, my heart just goes out to these people. They're not soldiers, they're just people going about their daily lives.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Zakharra

Sheesh,. those terrorists don;t get the concept of 'freedom of the press' and 'free speech' very well. :|   

Beorning

I must admit that, with these kinds of things happening, I really don't know what to think about Islam anymore.  :-( I mean, I've seen people say that such acts are the doing of extremists... but there's a lot of these extremists lately...

Current news from here: the doctors / Ministry of Health conflict has been resolved, so the doctors are admitting patients again. I wish I knew who was right in this conflict, because it's still unclear to me...

Also, the American prosecution requested Poland to extradite Roman PolaƄski (he resides here lately). I'm quite sure that's not going to happen - which is a bad thing or a good thing, depending on which side of the argument you are.