Lost on the Planes (Pathfinder; Interest Check)

Started by SheerFantasia, June 29, 2014, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SheerFantasia

Alright, there does appear to be enough interest to get this Planar journey started, so I'll work on the recruitment thread and have it up by tomorrow or the day after at latest.  For those who just need to start soon - consider Level 6 as a starting point for the 1st character you create with 20 character creation points to allocate to ability scores; all subsequent characters you create (without limit) begin at 4th level with 15 points to allocate to building ability scores.

All Core races are permissible; and the following: aasimars, catfolk, changelings, dhamphir, ifrits, kobolds, orcs, samsarans, sylphs tieflings.  Other races can be 'unlocked' on further journeys of the Sasskiana.

@ kongming & kimmy: Please see above.  I believe it should address your wishes!  ;D

@ ExisD: I'm not that familiar with the Artificer in pathfinder, though I remember them from Eberron.  As far as the Sasskiana is concerned, to qualify to be an Artificer (a maintainer of the elemental chambers) on board the ship, you need to be able to cast three 1st and one 2nd level spell(s) per day and have 4 ranks in Knowledge (arcana).  Most artificers on board are Wizards.  If this isn't really convenient for you, just let me know and we'll see what we can come up with.

@ CarnivalOfTheGoat:  Hooray!  Another Spelljammer fan!  I haven't decided on the prerequisites of all roles, but 6 ranks in both Profession (quartermaster) and Perception should help qualify for the role of Quartermaster, or for the scout: Ride 6 and Perception 6 should help the psychotic kobold qualify for the role of scout.

Kimmy

I think you make the ninth interested player & no ones had a chance to submit a character yet. So your definitely here in time. Though I have no idea how large a crew SheerFantasia is going for. Though you have put me in mind of a lovely Gnoll character I quite enjoy. There's nothing quite like an overly amorous bag of fur running amok playing match maker. She'd fall in as the cook. Because everyone wants to be the cook's friend. At least, they thought they did...

@SheerFantasia: By Changeling's, I assume you mean the Pathfinder Changelings where they are daughters of hags & not lesser shapeshifters like in D&D? One of my first ideas was for a changeling - only it seems the D&D Changeling doesn't exist in Pathfinder. Or at least I haven't found it's equivalent. I mean, I can blindly hope you have discovered one (or hadn't realized the change?) but I am guessing the answer is their daughters of hags.

Now to go learn what a samsaran is & why it sounds like some sort of pastry...
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

ExisD

Wizard was my thought before I found this class. It's third party for pathfinder, but seems like it should be reasonably balanced to me. If you want to stick with official only I completely understand.

I think it would fit the fluff of someone of a journey like this as well. I'd also understand if you wanted me to make a spell-book of sorts with it, which could further justify the journey if that happens.

Either way I've been thinking more on personality. She's definitely going to be someone that would probably need protecting if/when we get into a fight, maintaining a reasonable offensive capability as spellcasters tend to do.

Belisuavious

I'd be interested as well, would a spoiled, practically useless scion of a noble family be allowed as one of the passengers? A guy whose parents are fed up with trying to get him to grow up, accept some responsibilities and stop being such an embarrassment, so they just pay to send him along on the planar exploration ship, in the hopes that he'll either grow up and stop acting like a spoiled child, or just die.

Phaia

I believe I have an interesting idea. Every ship needs a cook and who better then a witch  :P ::) [and maybe an elf to boot though i am also considering an assamar]

....'rumormill' ... they have a witch on board that chops people up and puts them in a  stew and she has a big nose with wart on it that was 4 nasty hairs growing from it....

O:)

Of course the witch is actually very pretty!!

Anyway that was my idea...

though I did consider a monk named seagal who would be the cook...just the cook [shades of under Seige]

phaia

SheerFantasia

@kimmy: That would be correct.  The closest I know of to shapechangers for PF is the Kitsune (perhaps someone else is more knowlegeable?).

@ExisD: Bear with me whilst I hold some judgement on the Artificer, so perhaps you could find an alternative class in the interim.  I will examine it in regards to some of the scenarios I had in mind before deciding whether I'll allow it (generally due to some unflattering reviews I've had of it, but I'll be willing to give it a test).  If I decide its a pass, I'll allow you to rebuild your core character utilising it.  I hope this will not be too disruptive to any ideas you may have!

@Jecter: Nothing against the idea in theory, but I will recommend making a character that can pull his weight (maybe he surprises himself when put to the test) and isn't the sort of person that people will want to throw off the side of the ship in short order!

@Phaia:  Love the cook idea, though just be certain she's ready to take on tasks both on and off the ship if things come to a pinch!  Magic is always intriguing but the Steven Seagal... uh, 'just a cook' concept has merits as well  ;D.  Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up once the recruitment page is up!

Phaia

There is a feat that helps an elf be able to do many things. Maybe not as well as others but still do so.

'Breadth of Experience'
Prerequisites: Dwarf, elf, or gnome; 100+ years old.

Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Knowledge and Profession skill checks, and can make checks with those skills untrained.

So she can have a lot of knowledge [+4 int mod/+2 feat], as well as do things like Profession:sailor [ie part of the crew]

So yes she will have other functions out of 'her' galley!

Phaia

Foxfyr

Quote from: SheerFantasia on July 03, 2014, 04:27:53 AM
@kimmy: That would be correct.  The closest I know of to shapechangers for PF is the Kitsune (perhaps someone else is more knowlegeable?).

I recently found a race called the skinwalker, which seems to be from one of paizo's campaign modules.  You can find it on the SRD, but it seems to be a shapeshifter whose form is tied to one of a few different animals.

Belisuavious

Yeah, he'll have been raised to be a nobleman, so he can ride and use a sword and such. He just prefers being a fop.

Phaia

Quote from: SheerFantasia on July 02, 2014, 05:25:33 AM
- consider Level 6 as a starting point for the 1st character you create with 20 character creation points to allocate to ability scores; all subsequent characters you create (without limit) begin at 4th level with 15 points to allocate to building ability scores.

Okay Sheer, does the level 6 start include the normal starting level of gold? [ in this case 16000] and can we create 'now' extra 4th level characters to help round out the crew as suggested above?
Also can we allocate some starting gold to help repair the ship or get certain items for the ship? I was thinking maybe something like a "heat metal/Chill metal" iron top for the galley. Though ships did have galley fires to heat up food! Or even a pool of gold...maybe a share of the ship?

Can I take some of my starting gold and buy scrolls to add to my familar's spell list?
I am considering the 'Improved Familar feat' would the spells known by my starting familar transfer to an improved one?
Also Sheer I was thinking if allowed my witch was part of the first crew [the cook then of course] and has stayed on board. We can work out details about that if you allow!

To the rest. Anyone taking any crafting feats? It would seem we will have time while 'sailing the ether' to make items. I have considered the hex "Cauldron" which allows my witch to make potions...though there are a lot better uses for her hexes!

I am considering one of these for my witch of course the crew has to joke about how ugly the witch/cook is to all the newbies!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Suggestions?!

Phaia

Anon315

Phaia

Quote from: Anon315 on July 03, 2014, 01:04:11 PM
I like the one with the squirrel.

yea she looks like the hideous witch with a big nose and wart on it  ;D ;D
....though she won't have  a squirrel familar!!

Phaia

Anon315

But... but I like the squirrel. The squirrel is what makes that pic awesome. It has a horn and a jewel in its forehead.

Phaia

Quote from: Anon315 on July 03, 2014, 02:15:16 PM
But... but I like the squirrel. The squirrel is what makes that pic awesome. It has a horn and a jewel in its forehead.

the only familar that is even close to the image is http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/almiraj   and it takes the improved familar feat to get!! [which I have been considering]

but yes I love the image of the squirrel as well but cannot find any familar that would fit with it  :'( :'(

phaia

Anon315

Umm... what about Squirrel? Familiar, basic, +3 Sleight of Hand.

Phaia

Quote from: Anon315 on July 03, 2014, 02:31:36 PM
Umm... what about Squirrel? Familiar, basic, +3 Sleight of Hand.

no horn and sleight of hand is not a class skill....i can work with it as needed maybe some strange evolved familar aspect

Phaia

Ghostwheel

I believe that people who haven't been accepted can see recruiting threads, so it might be a good idea to keep nudie pics out of them ;)

Phaia

I love this image but with the flowers and butterfly tatts[?] she seems more druid like then a witch
Though considering I am giving her the drawback of a 'Marked Slave' maybe they are speical slave markings all done with arcane marks?  :-\ :-\

Phaia

ExisD

Quote from: SheerFantasia on July 03, 2014, 04:27:53 AM
@ExisD: Bear with me whilst I hold some judgement on the Artificer, so perhaps you could find an alternative class in the interim.  I will examine it in regards to some of the scenarios I had in mind before deciding whether I'll allow it (generally due to some unflattering reviews I've had of it, but I'll be willing to give it a test).  If I decide its a pass, I'll allow you to rebuild your core character utilising it.  I hope this will not be too disruptive to any ideas you may have!

Fair enough. I've heard some as well, but when I looked at it I saw something that would likely compare to the sorcerer in ability. Though with higher versatility early on and a much lower peak power. 

I can come up with something for wizard in the meantime, but probably won't have the time to make a full sheet until the weekend.

I did also find a pic I sort of like.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

kongming

Heh, the scientist from Makai Kingdom.

Anyway, I've toyed with some ideas. Bard and Ranger are looking good at the moment.  Probably Bard, as I like the spellcasting.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

ExisD

Quote from: kongming on July 03, 2014, 08:33:11 PM
Heh, the scientist from Makai Kingdom.

Woo, someone else recognizes the game. I really like almost everything they release.

Anon315

My plan thus far is a rogue. Perhaps he's security, repelling boarders and keeping the peace... by being the sneakiest person around. Also he's a robot so he's implacably fair. Then there's the excellent aspect that a robot provides: never needs to sleep!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Anon315 on July 04, 2014, 01:21:39 AM
My plan thus far is a rogue. Perhaps he's security, repelling boarders and keeping the peace... by being the sneakiest person around. Also he's a robot so he's implacably fair. Then there's the excellent aspect that a robot provides: never needs to sleep!

Robot?

*Checks the posted race list puzzledly.*

How do you intend to manage that? If we were doing 3.5 there'd probably be a template for it... Just curious?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Anon315

Ghostwheel

I'm leaning towards a gish m'self (not utilizing Magus or Bard) for classic sword-and-sorcery ;D