Hunters of the Red Moon- Interest Check

Started by Travaius, May 21, 2010, 11:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travaius

You were taken from your planet in a beam of light, taken to a starship high in orbit. Before any reaction from your planet could be made, the renegade slave ship was off, running as quickly as it could. There were a few more people in various cells near you, each seemingly imprisoned just as you were, different races being represented. You were quickly sold to a feline race, with a much larger ship, and hundreds of cells. As people start to mull together in the large cell rooms, talk begins. You make a handful of friends over the next few weeks, and you began to see gaps in the security they have placed around you.

One day, the break begins. Taking the weapons from one guard, you storm the various cells, intent on making it to the control room, the room that you assumed was from the amount of guards that slipped into it, before they could even make a stand. As soon as you step into the room, the friends you made behind you, you see a long row of guards all firing weapons, ready for the break. Your last thought before you pass out is curiosity as to how they were ready for it all.

You peer out of the cage that you woke up in, your eyes focusing on the festival that took place below the ridge the cage was. Other cages are near yours, other faces peering out and looking around, their eyes looking around as wella nd looking at the festival. A large minotaur looking creature is sitting at the head of the long table, eating ravenously as others watch on. One of the small robot guards passes by and someone questions what was going on.

"The eclipse of the Red Moon has begun, so the hunting cycles for the inhabitants of the planet up there". He points to the large mass up in the night sky "come here to hunt those they feel are worthy of such a great honor. The man you see there is a survivor of the great hunt, he managed to survive until the end of the rotation, and is being honored. He will be given anything within the creatures power to grant, and he will be taken whereever he wants to.You have been selected for the hunt, the honor is great."

Attacking the guards on the slave ship seems to have made you worthy of such a great honor...The robot guard starts to move off and some quickly questions about the hunt.

"Rules of the hunt are simple. Tomorrow you will be taken to an area to select the weapons to defend yourselves. No firearms of any kind, only weapons such as swords, axes, maces, flails, slings, clubs, and bows will be your selection. The hunters will select the same style of weaponry, and you will defend yourselves against them. You will be given a map and it will show you all of the area. Every night there will be safe areas with food and water, where you can rest and no hunters will enter. If you can make it to the end of the rotation, you too will be given a grand festival." Someone asks about the race of creatures they will be fighting, but the robot does not stop moving away this time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this is where the story will pick up, right before your training period before the hunt begins. You can make friends to decide to defend yourself with them, or try to go it alone. The restrictions are races are going to be simply that they be derived from animals. Humans would be a proto-simian race, a race with bear in it proto-ursine, and a race with wolf proto-lupine...so on and so on. I can come up with a few races if people like, but I figured I would leave it open to let people do what they will. When you make a race, you can give them some believeable abilties. A bear character would be stronger than a human, but a human character would be more intelligent than the bear.

I'd prefer everyone play the hunted rather than the hunters. Easier to not have to worry about character death if a PC hunter and prey met with each other. If someone REALLY wants to be a hunter, PM me and we can talk out how we can work around this, since there is some secret information you'd need to know.

Character Sheet-

Name:
Race:
Weapons (if you want to choose now):
Personality/History:
Don't tempt the hammer of the Waagh. The Black Riva is in our blood, spill a drop and the rest of us will drown you in it, got it?

Crovonovin

I'd like to state my interest in this roleplay, and I'd also like to ask a question regarding your definition of "animal".  Would this be limited specifically to mammalian species, or could it be extended to things like reptiles, insects, etcetera.  I just want to be sure before I go with anything that may be considered to be too outrageous.

Vandren

Just when I think I'm the only person who has ever read the book . . .  :)

Shihong--The book this is based on included proto-reptilians at the very least.  Most were mammalian species, but I'd imagine there'd be room for numerous others.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Travaius

I LOVE that book. My dad gave it to me a few years ago and I still think about it now and then.

Shihong- No mammalian species are not the limit, any creature will do really.
Don't tempt the hammer of the Waagh. The Black Riva is in our blood, spill a drop and the rest of us will drown you in it, got it?

Crovonovin

If that's the case, I think I'll go with something a bit unorthodox, just to make things a little interesting!

Name: Drode
Race: Euna (Tardigrade Based)
Appearance:
Euna are segmented, bulbous creatures with eight limbs that can be used interchangeably as legs or grasping appendages.  They must twist their bodies around in order to look behind them, as their neck does not possess the same flexibility as other species.  Otherwise the face of an Euna looks surprisingly human, though it lacks a nasal passage and their lips hide three sets of chewing mandibles instead of teeth.

Drode's eyes are a rather fetching shade of purple, and are about the only striking feature on his otherwise pale brown body.  His clothing is equally plain and undecorated, suggesting either a meek attitude or a former life as a member of the working class.  He tends to hold himself on only two limbs in order to make himself feel a bit less intimidated by taller races, but still only comes up to about five and a half feet.

Abilities:
Durability:
The unique biological structure of the Euna grants them the ability to survive in spite of many environmental extremes, easily withstanding temperatures as high as 151 °C and as low as -272 °C, a great advantage on their turbulent and volatile homeworld.  Euna are equally capable of surviving in extremely high and low pressure environments, and may survive for days in a total vacuum before eventually succumbing to radiation.  Though they tend to prefer moist environments, they are equally capable of going without water for decades (though they will eventually enter a state of forced hibernation).  Despite being able to survive in conditions that would kill just about any other species without technological aide, they are just as vulnerable to piercing and projectile weapons as most other races, though they do have slightly more resistance to concussive attacks.

Weapons:
Drode is terribly inept when it comes to actually fighting, as his species has always preferred an impervious defense over an unstoppable offense.  Rather than show off how terrible he is with a melee weapon, he prefers to wield a set of six shields and play the role of the evasive combatant.

Personality/History:

The Euna hail from the planet second closest to the sun in their own star system.  It is hypothesized that the world was once Earth-like in climate but after a devastating collision with another small planetoid it was torn asunder and suffered a global near-extinction event.  Even after so many millions of years later, nearly one forth of the planet consists of a molten sea where the impact occurred, and the shattered remnants of the planetoid orbit sluggishly overhead.  The planet is plagued constantly by storms hundreds of miles wide, reaches boiling temperatures on the side facing its sun, and lethally cold temperatures on the opposite side.  Only a small ring in the center ever reaches temperate climates.

The ancestors of the Euna are likely the only survivors from the apocalypse, so it stands to reason that they would be able to adapt to such harsh conditions.  The species evolved with a keen awareness of space, and they began to both revere and desire it to such a degree that much of their scientific progress was based around attempts to break free from the shackles of a ground-based existence.  Before first coming into contact with other sentient races their technology was almost laughably primitive, their spaceships little more than ramshackle squares of reinforced metal covered in jet engines; because of their hardy nature, they could survive in spite of hull breaches and planetary reentry.  Though simple, certain other unified races admired the Euna for their determination and their unique adaptivity.  Benefactor races decided to give them a little push in terms of the sciences, offering aid and knowledge in return for the ability to study their people.

It stands to reason that Drode and his people are not looked upon very highly by more civilized races.  Particularly arrogant races consider them to be nothing more than cavemen with laser guns.  Though it is true that most Euna are not particularly bright when compared to the rest of interstellar civilization, they are far from the idiots the media paints them as.

Drode was once a rather timid engineer with only unfulfilled dreams of finally leaving the Homeworld like so many others before him.  He performed his work tirelessly and admirably, living only for others and giving little thought to his own desires.  He spoke very little and thought far too much for his own good.  He could not possibly have predicted the situation he was suddenly and violently thrown into, nor the ultimatum he was given:  Survive against impossible odds until the end of the moon's rotation.

Thankfully, surviving is exactly what his kind does best.