News:

Main Menu

Prince Rupert's Drops

Started by Spookie Monster, September 15, 2008, 05:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

I've always been fascinated by Prince Rupert's Drops.  If you're not familiar with them, know that Prince Rupert's Drops are hardened droplets of glass; because of the nature of the tension that formed when they hardened, they are at once durable and delicate.  The heads of Prince Rupert's Drops are very strong: one can strike them with hard objects or against hard objects and they'll be all right.  In contrast, their tails are very fragile: one can snap them between one's fingers.

Most interestingly, breaking the tails of Prince Rupert's Drops causes the droplets themselves to instantly turn to dust.  This feature has not been lost on those who craft metaphors, and rightly so.  Aren't our very hearts like Prince Rupert's Drops?

But why read when you can watch?  THIS IS 2008, DAMN IT!*

Prince Rupert's Drop

Exploding Glass: Rupert's Drop - Museum of Glass

Enjoy!

Spel

* Unless you adhere to, say, the Ethiopian calendar.  If you do adhere to the Ethiopian calendar, incidentally, Happy New Year!
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Vekseid

Is it wrong of me to think "Hit the weak spot for massive damage!"

Caeli

ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Neroon

Wonderful.  I was fascinated.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Jefepato

Holy crap.

What happened to the first person to discover what happened when the tail was broken?

Oniya

Apparently, they were used like the medieval equivalent of joy buzzers by certain royals - so I'd assume they don't cause too much damage.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Porphyre