Grape sized cells pass for worms...

Started by Vekseid, November 24, 2008, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

...in ancient fossilized sea beds.

QuoteWriting in Current Biology, researchers say the creature leaves tracks on the seabed which mirror fossilised tracks left up to 1.8 billion years ago.

Many palaeontologists believe only multi-celled organisms could have made these tracks.

This has been difficult to confirm as no multi-cellular fossils of such an age have ever been found.

This is rather stellar as, to my knowledge, it was the biggest 'missing link' in evolution so far - namely wtf was up with those 'worms'. If it turns out that they were not worms but in fact rather stellar single celled organisms, that makes the puzzle fit a great deal nicer.

Will

That's awesome.  I actually didn't even know about the Sterling formations.  Thanks for sharing!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

The Overlord

That's incredible...a single cell organism can actually make it to this size? That's the order of several thousand times the size of the component cells in our own bodies. If they can get one of these intact they need to MRI it and see if it has all the component cell structures we're accustomed to.

Alleged endosymbiont structures such as mitochondria and chloroplasts contain their own genetic material separate of the nucleus, leading to the theory that these were independent organisms before being engulfed and assimilated into the structures of eukaryotic cells. We need to know what makes this thing tick, and just how primitive it is.

Storiwyr

Quote from: The Overlord on November 24, 2008, 04:06:09 PM

That's incredible...a single cell organism can actually make it to this size? That's the order of several thousand times the size of the component cells in our own bodies. If they can get one of these intact they need to MRI it and see if it has all the component cell structures we're accustomed to.

Alleged endosymbiont structures such as mitochondria and chloroplasts contain their own genetic material separate of the nucleus, leading to the theory that these were independent organisms before being engulfed and assimilated into the structures of eukaryotic cells. We need to know what makes this thing tick, and just how primitive it is.

That was my thinking too. How can it support the necessary functions for life at that size? Cell size is supposed to be limited by diffusion rates for the chemicals needed to sustain metabolism.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with endosymbiont theory. Are you suggesting that if it's extremely primitive, it may not have mitochondria? I know there have already been some forms of life found that do not have mitochondria. I can't remember for sure if it was secondary loss or if they just never had them though ...
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

Vekseid

Many bacteria don't have mitochondria - mitochondria themselves are thought to have been so absorbed.

These are protists, however, and likely have extremely slow metabolisms - they move a millimeter on a good day, according to the article.

The Overlord

Quote from: Storiwyr the Grump on November 25, 2008, 12:32:33 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with endosymbiont theory. Are you suggesting that if it's extremely primitive, it may not have mitochondria? I know there have already been some forms of life found that do not have mitochondria. I can't remember for sure if it was secondary loss or if they just never had them though ...

Like Veks said, very simple structures like viruses do not have mitochondria and other organelles, but I'm curious exactly where this thing fits on the classification charts. A protist is a varied group of eukaryotic cells, what I'm asking is this a throwback to a very ancient time? Does it have a nucleus like a eukaryotic cell should but is so old that's lacking some of the other structures we accustom to such cells? I mean, things like the horseshoe crap go back hundreds of millions of years and have changed little, so this thing might be a true relic?

Oniya

Quote from: Storiwyr the Grump on November 25, 2008, 12:32:33 AM
That was my thinking too. How can it support the necessary functions for life at that size? Cell size is supposed to be limited by diffusion rates for the chemicals needed to sustain metabolism.

Even though it's a temporary state, remember that your average fertilized chicken egg is a single cell.  An ostrich egg is even bigger, and so the component cells as it divides would stay larger longer.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on November 25, 2008, 10:19:04 AM
Even though it's a temporary state, remember that your average fertilized chicken egg is a single cell.  An ostrich egg is even bigger, and so the component cells as it divides would stay larger longer.

Point.