Iron Gods (Pathfinder; Recruiting until Aug 27)

Started by Dakkon, August 16, 2014, 02:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisOneGal

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 16, 2014, 11:57:08 PM

Rogue, problem solved. I think there's even a specific Archaeologist archetype package for the Rogue. Tomb-delving means being good at avoiding all the nasty traps left behind to deter people like you.

EDIT: Nope, it's a Bard. Swaps bardic music for luck bonuses, and gets some rogue-like abilities as it levels up.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archaeologist

Ooh, that does look like fun.

Chulanowa

Well, Gunslinger, Alchemist, and Investigator can all work as "engineer" fairly well. But i figure basically any character who devotes points to Crafts / profession / Disable Device could call themselves an engineer. There might also be some third party stuff from the sources allowed (I wouldn't know, myself)

TheGlyphstone

My Summoner is going to have both Craft (Engineering) and Knowledge (Engineering) as well.

But, being an 'engineer' IRL, I know that there are dozens of different kinds of engineers, so it's easy to qualify.

Okay, Crunchy bits done.
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=13725

Background will be fleshed out in detail, but he's a blacksmith, or was, until the violet flame appeared. Most of the flame's early victims were incinerated; he was 'lucky' enough to only lose his left arm and leg and be crippled. He managed to build himself crude mechanical prostheses for both missing limbs, but they weren't enough to restore his livelihood. Prayers to Brigh and intense study of the outer planes, though, eventually blessed him with a projected companion from Axiom who fuses with him and imbues his primitive replacement limbs with true agility and strength. Visually, his fused eidolon looks like a Kolyarut overlaying him.

Dakkon

Okay, I'm going to do one mass reply, to individual questions/comments, then do an overview of Torch in a separate post.

Quote from: ThisOneGal on August 16, 2014, 10:44:04 PM
If you're still recruiting, I'm interested. I just discovered this Adventure Path, but there's basically no chance of my IRL group playing it.

I would like to play a female human archaeologist/engineer, altough I need to figure out how to turn that last part into a combat class.

Recruiting is likely to go on for a week to two weeks. There seems to be quite a bit of interest. I'll firm up an exact date in few days.

Quote from: Chulanowa on August 16, 2014, 10:54:25 PM
Definitely going male. Probably going barbarian. Still undecided between race (provided barbarian is clear, that is. great thing is, big blocky melee-types build themselves at 1st level, I just need to... like... do it.

I'll get to your PM soon, but I think that both of your ideas are equally viable. If you go with ratfolk, I'd suggest making sure the character has lots of personal ties in the town.

Quote from: Chulanowa on August 17, 2014, 12:06:37 AM
Well, Gunslinger, Alchemist, and Investigator can all work as "engineer" fairly well. But i figure basically any character who devotes points to Crafts / profession / Disable Device could call themselves an engineer. There might also be some third party stuff from the sources allowed (I wouldn't know, myself)

The latter is basically my take on it and how the rules are set up. Profession could come into play, but Craft is the primary skill, although it is Craft (mechanical), rather than Craft (engineering). Knowledge (engineering) is the correct skill and plays a similar role to Spellcraft identifying magic items. Heal is also useful if you are looking at cybernetics and/or medical technology.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 17, 2014, 12:12:38 AM
My Summoner is going to have both Craft (Engineering) and Knowledge (Engineering) as well.

But, being an 'engineer' IRL, I know that there are dozens of different kinds of engineers, so it's easy to qualify.

Okay, Crunchy bits done.
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=13725

Background will be fleshed out in detail, but he's a blacksmith, or was, until the violet flame appeared. Most of the flame's early victims were incinerated; he was 'lucky' enough to only lose his left arm and leg and be crippled. He managed to build himself crude mechanical prostheses for both missing limbs, but they weren't enough to restore his livelihood. Prayers to Brigh and intense study of the outer planes, though, eventually blessed him with a projected companion from Axiom who fuses with him and imbues his primitive replacement limbs with true agility and strength. Visually, his fused eidolon looks like a Kolyarut overlaying him.

Cool idea Glyph... except that Torch's flame lit in 4602 AR and the current year is 4714 AR, so it wouldn't work that Gannak was at the initial event. That said, the flame does get into the sky periodically which is extremely destructive to the immediate area on top of the hill (the town is safe entirely at the bottom) so perhaps he was caught in one of those later eruptions.

Also, see above for what I said about Craft (mechanical). As full disclosure I am very not an engineer, but I feel its a moot point, since much of what you will encounter is fairly classified as "super-science." But what you said about there being many paths is absolutely true. Any class has the potential to utilize or build these technologies. But first you've got to discover them!

Quote from: Muse on August 16, 2014, 10:11:11 PM
I think cherry red is ready, by the way.  Just let me add the extra build points.  :)

I'm assuming that by armoured jacket, you mean armoured coat, which is the first entry under medium armour here. You definitely need to build up that background though. Use my next post to build some ties to the town.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: FallenDabus on August 17, 2014, 12:46:23 AM

The latter is basically my take on it and how the rules are set up. Profession could come into play, but Craft is the primary skill, although it is Craft (mechanical), rather than Craft (engineering). Knowledge (engineering) is the correct skill and plays a similar role to Spellcraft identifying magic items. Heal is also useful if you are looking at cybernetics and/or medical technology.

Will fix that immediately, and I think I'll pick up a rank in Heal as opposed to a rank in Spellcraft - it fits better.

Cool idea Glyph... except that Torch's flame lit in 4602 AR and the current year is 4714 AR, so it wouldn't work that Gannak was at the initial event. That said, the flame does get into the sky periodically which is extremely destructive to the immediate area on top of the hill (the town is safe entirely at the bottom) so perhaps he was caught in one of those later eruptions.

That was actually a question I had, since I couldn't find a timeline anywhere in the Player's Guide. It works just as well for one of the later eruptions - something went wrong and he couldn't get his mobile forge away from the flame in time.

Also, see above for what I said about Craft (mechanical). As full disclosure I am very not an engineer, but I feel its a moot point, since much of what you will encounter is fairly classified as "super-science." But what you said about there being many paths is absolutely true. Any class has the potential to utilize or build these technologies. But first you've got to discover them!

I was honestly more talking about stuff like civil engineers, mechanical engineers, chemical engineers, aerospace engineers, software engineers...all wildly different kinds of 'engineering'.

Dakkon

Okay, this post is fairly lengthy, but should be helpful in building your backgrounds. I’ve included the genders and races of notable NPCs, as well as age where necessary, but I’ve intentionally kept alignment and class secret. If you want more information about an NPC you are building into your background please ask. If you want to create your own NPCs, that’s good too. The numbers under population I consider to be rough estimates and can absolutely change to accommodate other races.

TORCH
N Large town
Corruption +0; Crime –1; Economy +0; Law –1; Lore +0; Society +4

Rough Demographics
Government: Council
Population: 4,320 (3,167 humans, 498 dwarves, 392 half-
orcs, 168 gnomes, 32 half-elves, 28 halflings, 25 elves,
10 androids)

South of the First Blade’s Path, nestled next to the Seven Tears River in the territory of the Black Horse tribe, Torch takes its name from the violet flame that burns atop its central hill. The fires ignited spontaneously in 4602 AR, and for nearly a year they lanced into the sky, forming a purple column of fire that could be seen for miles around. At the time, the Technic League was experiencing a period of upheaval in Starfall, and its agents were unable to investigate the rumors of the column of fire to the south. By 4604, the flames had died down to a man-sized bonfire, leaving the top of the hill blasted and blackened. Several industrious locals soon discovered the flame’s heat possessed two unusual qualities—it was hot enough to smelt skymetal ores and work with difficult materials like adamantine, and the fires themselves radiated a strangely directional heat. A chunk of wood thrown a dozen feet over the fires would instantly burst into flame, yet a piece of paper set a foot from the bonfire’s edge wouldn’t even smolder. This unique combination of traits made the fire a perfect forge. After a few sudden flare-ups resulted in the tragic incineration of several smiths and their partially completed forges, the townsfolk learned how to interpret the flares and flashes that presaged such an eruption. Rather than build permanent structures around the fire, they came to rely upon portable workshops transported up the hill via wagon or carriage, so that when the fire began one of its unpredictable surges, the smiths could retreat to safety to wait for the blast of fire to recede.
In this way, Torch has sustained itself. By the time the Technic League sorted its internal politics out and sent representatives to investigate in 4612, its agents found a burgeoning village growing around the base of the hill. After a cursory examination of the fire, representatives from the Technic League met with the village’s leaders and worked out a deal—as long as Torch sent a monthly tribute of gold north to Starfall, the Technic League would not maintain an official presence in the region. In this way, the League turned what could have been competition (since at the time it still lacked the resources to effectively manage a remote site) into a source of income. Over the decades that followed, Torch grew steadily, yet has never truly prospered, because the Technic League constantly revises the amount of the tribute it requires. Frustrations with and resentments against the Technic League rightly have grown in Torch, yet the League’s been careful to never tax the town to the point of rebellion, keeping them in an uncomfortable but relatively stable place between freedom and oppression.

Most of Torch’s buildings are constructed of stone, with the larger buildings being reinforced with metal. The rooftops are made of ceramic or stone tiles. Wood is rarely used as a building material in Torch, primarily to prevent fires. Torch has no underground sewer system—waste produced by the city is typically hauled up onto Black Hill and incinerated in the violet fires, but with the flames having recently gone out, filth is building up in the streets. Many have taken to disposing of refuse by dumping it in the Seven Tears River or Crowfeather Lake, something that’s already causing small outbreaks of sickness. The town council has just initiated a ban on disposal of waste in the water, and policing this ban and providing alternative solutions (mostly carting waste away to a small gorge east of town) is consuming an increasing amount of time for the city guard and workers alike.

1. Iven’s Livery Stable: Most travelers visiting town leave their mounts and pack animals in the care of Iven Lesky (male half-elf), a retired tracker who chose to settle in Torch after falling in love with a young Kellid woman named Annika (female human) whom he met when her tribe was overwhelmed by hill giants. Together, they buy and sell horses, doing frequent business with trade caravans drawn to the town’s marketplace.

2. General Store: Torch’s general store caters to scavengers, artisans, and metalworkers first and foremost, but also carries plenty of gear sought by adventurers traveling through Numeria. The town’s unique forge attracts plenty of traders to the local marketplace, some of whom bring rare items which storeowners like Inkrit Kollisun (female human) uses to stock their shelves. Most of the routine adventuring gear can be found here, but Inkrit typically leaves the sale of armor and weapons to the guildhouse artisans.

3. Silverdisk Hall: This busy gambling house features many card tables and dice games, all played with the local silverdisk currency in exchange for whatever money travelers bring with them. Proprietor Garmen Ulreth  (male human) runs the place, and is not-so-secretly assisted
by a gang of Kellid thieves known as the Ropefists—a name derived from their practice of wrapping their knuckles with rope before using their fists to punish transgressors.

4. The Marrymaid: Given the frequent influxes of fortune-seeking scavengers and merchant caravans, the Marrymaid bordello opened its doors almost as soon as Torch established a successful economy. Wrennie Dalrorn (female half-elf) oversees the entertainments inside. Some say she’s the illegitimate daughter of an elven prince from Kyonin and a high priestess of Calistria.

5. The Copper Coin: One of the oldest taverns in Torch, the Copper Coin stands right on the western edge of town. This fixture nightspot fills up with patrons almost every evening, and it is especially popular with laborers and artisans looking to relax after a hard day’s work. Siblings Lawton (male human) and Katina Rimos (female human) run the Coin as a quality establishment with good food at reasonable prices. In fact, much like their father, who ran the tavern for 30 years before passing away, they pride themselves on claiming everything costs “just a few coppers.” Lawton runs the kitchen, cooking up signature dishes like spiced lamb and lentil soup with sourdough bread. Katina tends bar, serving up popular drinks like Rusty Ale, Wineberry Mead, Steelforged Stout, and Black Hill Whiskey.

6. Garrison and Armory: A crenelated 30-foot tower rises from this squat barracks housing the town’s active militia and guards. Approximately two dozen off-duty guards can be found here, with three times that number patrolling the marketplace and city streets during the day.

7. Olandir Estate: Serantha Olandir (female human), the charismatic, influential leader of Torch’s town council, lives in this large home. She lost her husband two years ago to a back alley mugging by the Ropefists near Silverdisk Hall. Since then, she’s made it her mission to ensure Torch doesn’t become a den of crime and corruption by taking a more direct hand in shaping its politics.

8. Otterbie Manor: One of the original founding families of Torch owns this expensive manor, built by an enterprising merchant and ex-crusader from Mendev named Orm Otterbie. He passed away several years ago and his granddaughter, Bazlundi Otterbie (female human), inherited his legacy, successfully organizing many of the town’s artisans and smithies into a powerhouse consortium.

9. Weeping Pond: This placid-looking pond is set off from the surrounding area by a crescent-shaped escarpment. No vegetation grows on the banks of this pond, and the waters carry a bitter stink of sulfur and other chemicals, enough to make the eyes water after spending too much time on the shore. A shallow stream runs southeast of the pond and finally empties into Crowfeather Lake.

10. Crowfeather Palace: The contaminated waters running from the Weeping Pond collect in Crowfeather Lake. Here the taint diffuses to the point where the water becomes drinkable, though it retains a brackish aftertaste. Until recently, long exposure to the water could still cause birth defects and strange afflictions, but since the creation of the strange-looking building here, these effects have been all but eradicated. Called Crowfeather Palace because of its proximity to the lake and its almost miniaturized palatial facade, the building is the brainchild of Khonnir Baine. With the aid of the local priesthood of Brigh, Khonnir built this facility to help purify the waters of Crowfeather Lake. Utilizing a combination of divine and arcane magic with scavenged technological elements, a pipe-like extension from the building constantly purifies the waters around itself as if via a continually running purify food and drink spell, giving the townsfolk a safe source of drinking water.

11. Market Square: The southern shore of Crowfeather Lake is the location of Torch’s largest marketplace. This location draws nearly as much attention and tourism as does the flame, for it’s here that the town’s skilled artisans put their wares on display.

12. Foundry Tavern: One of the more popular hangouts in Torch, the Foundry Tavern is aptly named. Its owner, Khonnir Baine, (middle-aged human male) makes frequent appearances to demonstrate new inventions here—whether mechanical or magical. The tavern itself is always packed, and Khonnir rents out space in his neighboring foundry for visiting smiths and metalworkers to use. With his disappearance, Khonnir’s adopted daughter Val (female human), who runs the tavern and forge with him, has closed the Foundry as a sign of solidarity, hoping that it will inspire someone to bring her father back to her.

13. Tempting Tonics: This building is home to Jhestine Imierin (female half-elf), the town’s apothecary and healer. Jhestine’s father was a Snowcaster elf and her mother a Kellid chieftain’s
daughter. She moved south during a particularly harshwinter and opened her apothecary shop to help the people of Torch deal with the tainted water from the Weeping Pond. Jhestine sells a variety of herbs and special substances, and now that Crowfeather Palace has made the waters of the lake drinkable, she’s been able to turn her attention away from her original purpose to crafting all manner of other potions and elixirs for sale.

14. Seven Tears Farms: Fertile fields and orchards line the stream near the southern side of town here. Before Crowfeather Palace, these farms had to rely upon the generosity of local churches for water purification, but now the fields are flourishing. The produce grown here feeds most of Torch, thanks to the owner of the farms, a matronly woman named Celda Veed (female human).

15. Town Hall: One of the grander buildings in Torch, the town hall doubles as a second garrison and lookout tower watching over the eastern roads. Council meetings take place in the hall every week on Oathday, but the hall sees frequent use for social gatherings as well, including many dances held in the neighboring square.

16. Chapel of the Wanderer: A somber man named Mylan Radli (male human worshiper of Pharasma) retired here after the town’s previous gravekeeper passed away. Along with the blessings he administers to those passing through Torch, he also conducts funerals and looks after the town’s cemetery.

17. Temple of Brigh: Bronze wind chimes and clockwork statues decorate the domed portico of this compound dedicated to the goddess of invention. The oldest faith in Torch, Brigh’s temple sees regular worship from many of the town’s citizens, and also includes a meticulously organized workshop managed by the town’s religious leader, Joram Kyte (old male human worshiper of Brigh). His friendly demeanor, active interest in the metal trade, and innovative crafting skills helped land him a seat on the town council many years ago. Joram’s temple includes a small shopfront selling magic items and gear.

18. Evercandle Inn: The name of this establishment refers to the strange alchemical candles used to light its rooms. These showpieces, which never diminish, are arrayed among multiple chandeliers in the common room as well as smaller, portable candlesticks by each bed in the individual chambers. Soceal Murgrave (old female human) serves as the inn’s proprietor, aided by her ever-present attendant Erlmon Reverstoudt (middle-aged male human).

19. Boarding House: The nine buildings surrounding this small park provide temporary housing for larger parties not wishing to stay at the more expensive inns in town. They see frequent use during the warmer seasons when their owner, Agren Maust (male human), rents out rooms to scavengers, adventurers, and merchants seeking to do business in Torch for weeks at a time.

20. Warehouse District: The majority of the buildings in the northeast portion of town act as storehouses for trade goods designed by the town’s artisans.

21. Torch Guildhouse: This large building is home to the guild of metallurgists and artisans established by Bazlundi Otterbie. The guild was founded to support craftspeople in the skymetal trade, and the experts under its banner include several skilled armorers, blacksmiths, and weaponsmiths.

22. Dolga’s Foundry: The sounds of ringing hammers and dwarven songs frequently rise from this busy foundry, which is owned and operated by Dolga Feddert (old female dwarf) and her team of veteran crafters. An odd transplant from the Five Kings Mountains, Dolga helped found Torch and became the first to test the unique properties of the flame erupting from the hilltop. She also constructed many of the first buildings in town, and is Torch’s oldest councilor.

23. Junkyard: Unprofitable components and debris smelted for skymetal invariably find their way to Torch’s junkyard on the east side of town. An eerie bleachling gnome named Garritt Burrwaddle (middle-aged male gnome) received the honorary title of Junkmaster after several decades of obsessively collecting and cataloging the items left here. Aside from hauling away junk no one wants, he provides an invaluable service to those searching for spare parts among the debris in his care.

24. Black Hill: Easily the most recognizable landmark in Torch, this bald escarpment rises at a steep slope in the middle of town. Until recently, the town’s namesake torch burned at the hill’s peak, emerging from a 5-foot-wide hole in the ground. Today, the flame is out, the hole caved in and filled with bubbling, foul-smelling sludge. The four specially-designed adamantine carts used to ferry ore to and from the fire now stand a short distance down the hill near the Black Hill Craneworks—a building run by Smeltrunner Oskah Unteret (female half-orc). She coordinates access to the flame and ensures merchants pay the appropriate tribute to the town’s treasury. She bears no love for the Technic League, but holds the Black Sovereign in high regard, and loudly shares tales of his uniting of Numeria’s tribes in every tavern she visits.

Dakkon

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 17, 2014, 01:06:13 AM
Will fix that immediately, and I think I'll pick up a rank in Heal as opposed to a rank in Spellcraft - it fits better.
Just remember if you do that this isn't an either-or scenario. The story is very much about the collision and fusion of technology and magic. Spellcraft can be useful too, althought I think I agree that heal is a better fit for your character.

Autocad

Kirit Tugu
LG Android Wizard 1
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=16764

An android wizard who seeks to understand how magic and technology can exist simultaneously in the same world.

He casts spells by loading magical cartridges into his gun and firing (for flavour purposes. Mechanically, he casts spells using a pistol as an arcane bonded object, with loading cartridges representing any somatic and material components. It's much more elegant, efficient, and effective than being a spellslinger...).

(More background to follow after studying the new wall of text.)

Ghostwheel

As we lack a dedicated tanky character so far from what I'm seeing, I'll be going Pallie ;D

Hopefully get to level 2 fast so I can start spreading around the healing.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Ghostwheel on August 17, 2014, 03:39:24 AM
As we lack a dedicated tanky character so far from what I'm seeing, I'll be going Pallie ;D

Hey! I'm giving all these d12's a home, don't "we lack a tanky character" me!  ;D
It's just a question of race, now... Decisions decisions.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Chulanowa on August 17, 2014, 03:59:20 AM
Hey! I'm giving all these d12's a home, don't "we lack a tanky character" me!  ;D
It's just a question of race, now... Decisions decisions.

You hit things hard, I'll heal you up from damage taken while absorbing the first salvo of destruction pointed our way? ;)

TheGlyphstone

Just remember if you do that this isn't an either-or scenario. The story is very much about the collision and fusion of technology and magic. Spellcraft can be useful too, althought I think I agree that heal is a better fit for your character.
Suits me well, since my character is literally a fusion of technology (well, mechanics) and magic.

While I work on refining a background, any ideas from anyone on what to spend my last 20GP on? I've already bought Artisan's tools, a portable bellows, and a blacksmith's anvil for my Crafting...I've got melee and ranged attacks, ammunition, and I can't wear armor or carry a shield.

Also, can you tell us more about Val? I'm going to take the Local Ties trait - after Gannak's accident, Khonnir was one of the sources of arcane lore used to summon his eidolon for the first time, getting an interesting and unique subject to study in return. Knowing more about her would help decide how she'd react to her adoptive father taking on a crippled former smith as combination charity case and research subject.

And who staffs the Temple of Brigh, if anyone is defined in-path already? Being as how he's been gifted with a celestial companion of sorts from the Clockwork Goddess after praying to her, I'd figure that would feature prominently in his local connections as well.

Chulanowa

So, I spent all night and part of the morning trying to pull together a background for an orc or ratfolk barbarian... and couldn't do it, it all came out feeling very forced. So... i'm going an easier route, picking up one of the seven base races, slapping barbarian on her (oh yeah, that's changed too...) and working from there. I should have a background ready here in a bit, and a sheet before bedtime  :-)

Anyone else taking some connection to Dolga Feddert or her foundry?

Ghostwheel

Not I. I'm planning on being the son (fostered, step, or actual) of Mistress Serantha Olandir.

DM, could I get a little more information about her? Is there a possibility that I might have some siblings for rivalry and potential plot hooks? Anything else I should know about them? Or can I make it up as I go along?

Dakkon

Quote from: Autocad on August 17, 2014, 03:07:01 AM
Kirit Tugu
LG Android Wizard 1
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=16764

An android wizard who seeks to understand how magic and technology can exist simultaneously in the same world.

He casts spells by loading magical cartridges into his gun and firing (for flavour purposes. Mechanically, he casts spells using a pistol as an arcane bonded object, with loading cartridges representing any somatic and material components. It's much more elegant, efficient, and effective than being a spellslinger...).

(More background to follow after studying the new wall of text.)

But its such a finally crafted wall of text, isn't it! Sounds like a cool idea. Just keep in mind that more technologically advanced firearms don't always use individual bullets and cartridges, although I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to flavour it appropriately if you wish.

One quick note: I'm going to limit the Androffan language to those who gain it via the campaign traits for the first level. If you want to learn it, you will be able to purchase it at second level.

Quote from: Ghostwheel on August 17, 2014, 03:39:24 AM

As always, that would be the plan.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 17, 2014, 03:20:54 PM
Also, can you tell us more about Val? I'm going to take the Local Ties trait - after Gannak's accident, Khonnir was one of the sources of arcane lore used to summon his eidolon for the first time, getting an interesting and unique subject to study in return. Knowing more about her would help decide how she'd react to her adoptive father taking on a crippled former smith as combination charity case and research subject.
Absolutely! I'll do you one better even and give you an image.

Val was a young girl when she and Khonnir first arrived in Torch seven years ago, barely even a teenager. She and Khonnir kept to themselves initially, but both of them were kind-hearted and couldn't help but lend a hand when they were needed. While this hasn't translated to the same level of local visibility for Val as it has Khonnir, everyone knows she is a gentle soul, if a passionate one. Her birth parents she never mentions, save that they were Kellids and she was already orphaned when Khonnir took her under his wing. She has been apprenticing under Khonnir to learn wizardry, although she has not master enough to wield her own magic yet. While she loves her adopted father deeply and is not yet ready to move out on her own, at 19, she is already growing into a young woman and looking toward her future.

Now, there is a bit more to Val that I'm not sharing, since its not time yet. I will however, that given DM's knowledge, I'd say that Val would not turn away from Gannak in his time of need. If Khonnir has adopted another person, I'd say its about even odds that Val may embrace them or be jealous of them, but with Gannak, his injury and trying to pull his life back together, I'm positive she would be right along side Khonnir helping to take care of him.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 17, 2014, 03:20:54 PM
And who staffs the Temple of Brigh, if anyone is defined in-path already? Being as how he's been gifted with a celestial companion of sorts from the Clockwork Goddess after praying to her, I'd figure that would feature prominently in his local connections as well.

This would be who you are looking for:

Quote from: Wall of Text17. Temple of Brigh: Bronze wind chimes and clockwork statues decorate the domed portico of this compound dedicated to the goddess of invention. The oldest faith in Torch, Brigh’s temple sees regular worship from many of the town’s citizens, and also includes a meticulously organized workshop managed by the town’s religious leader, Joram Kyte (old male human worshiper of Brigh). His friendly demeanor, active interest in the metal trade, and innovative crafting skills helped land him a seat on the town council many years ago. Joram’s temple includes a small shopfront selling magic items and gear.

I'm afraid I don't have any more info than that, so feel free to flesh it out yourself.

Quote from: Chulanowa on August 17, 2014, 03:52:19 PM
So, I spent all night and part of the morning trying to pull together a background for an orc or ratfolk barbarian... and couldn't do it, it all came out feeling very forced. So... i'm going an easier route, picking up one of the seven base races, slapping barbarian on her (oh yeah, that's changed too...) and working from there. I should have a background ready here in a bit, and a sheet before bedtime  :-)

Anyone else taking some connection to Dolga Feddert or her foundry?

Some more info for you on her, and an image:

Dolga Freddert, the town’s oldest councilor, was present at Torch’s founding over a century ago, and though her body has grown old in those 100 years, she remains alert and energetic. She is still capable of hefting her favorite weapon, an adamantine warhammer, with ease, though she rarely has need of this symbol in her capacity as councilor. She sometimes gets frustrated with what she thinks of as“desk riding” at Town Hall as she’d rather be out solving the problems herself, but she recognizes the value of delegation and centralized leadership. That leaves her doubly frustrated right now though, as she sees no obvious solution, as to how reignite the town's lifeblood, or how to rescue Khonnir, who is both her friend and college.

Quote from: Ghostwheel on August 17, 2014, 03:55:38 PM
Not I. I'm planning on being the son (fostered, step, or actual) of Mistress Serantha Olandir.

DM, could I get a little more information about her? Is there a possibility that I might have some siblings for rivalry and potential plot hooks? Anything else I should know about them? Or can I make it up as I go along?

Blank slate. Use what you've got and make it up as you go from there.

Ershin

The following is a work in progress for both fluff and crunch.
Also I'd rather not step on anyone's toes, would you prefer if I chose a class other than Arcanist since Autocad has already posted a wizard?

Kythera gained her name roughly three years ago when she was unearthed in the Kytheran ruins to the far south, the android's shell reduced mostly to her torso and head, suspended from the chamber's ceiling connected to various machines seemingly designed to keep the blonde machine stabalised, though the excavation team who discovered her had polarised theories about whether this was an actual attempt to keep her alive or a way to stop a new soul from entering the body as this had been noted as happening through androids' life cycles. The body was kept secret for now, Raymond's team was sworn to not reveal anything they had found there for fear that someone might snatch away their discovery. Raymond, however, brought news of Kyther to the Temple of Brigh in the town of Torch, as the lead arcaeologist Raymond Singer had developed a friendship with Joram Kyte and made an arrangement to attempt to bring this ancient wonder back into the land of the living.

For over two and half years Joram and his acolytes attempted to tinker with Kythera's body while also slowly disassembling the life support system that had been dug out with her. As a result of the Joram's work, the life support machine she had been attached to was slowly converted into raw materials used to create new limbs for the ancient construct as little by little healing magic was funnelled into her to repair age-old damage to her internal organs. Eventually a sufficient amount of her body had recovered to the point where she could be excavated from her tomb.

The limbs were (due to the nature of the machine they were taken from) some of the finest prosthetics ever crafted by mortal hands, though under testing they didn't seem to be able to hold a candle to true android fibres or human muscle... however, Joram noted one day while doing a routine check up for any sign of infection in or around the stumps of Kythera's shoulders that something seemed to have changed, that her natural self may have... extanded? On closer inspection, it looked as though the healing magic she had been continuously exposed to had finally re-activated the nanites that all androids hold within their artificial shells, and these wondrous, infintesimally small machines were ever so slowly converting the prosthetics into the techo-organic material naturally found on an android.

Great lengths were taken in this time to avoid having the Technic League hearing of Kythera's discovery. While one could easily say that Joram's acolytes or Raymond's team were loyal, one could never be too sure if a member of the League could have infiltrated either group, leaving the pair to limit number of people who were even aware the android existed to a minimum.

Four months ago, the life support system was finally switched off, allowing a new soul to enter the Android's form roughly a month later. Possibly owing to her body's past experiences, the feminine construct took to magic like a duck to water, though she's not quite adept with social protocol, in three months she has mastered the arcane to a point where any other student would have taken three years.

During that period she began to spend more and more time with Arafel Olandir, a helf-elf and one of the expeditionary team that had originally uncovered her several years prior. When Kythera had attempted to take her first steps into the waking world she found herself more than a little unfamiliar with the new components that had been grafted to her, her nanites having not yet completed the conversion process. As she plumetted to the ground below, it had been he who caught her and stopped her clumsiness to undo all the work that had gone into repairing her over the last few years. As she got to know Arafel, he had also been the one to suggest she make the attempt to learn magic to compensate for her physical feebleness. She has grown to respect the man in the last few months, though she can't feel a... a connection as the humans, half-breeds or other creatures of pure flesh did, butdid her best to put up a front for people, even if it isn't quite as convincing as she would like.

ThisOneGal

Valki Karnak
N Human Bard (Archaeologist)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=17192

One of Khonnir's quasi-adoptive daughters and one of his students, she was taken in by him after her mother died.
Khonnir repeatedly forbade her from entering the caves under the hill, despite her pleas.
For reasons she's never understood, she does not get along well with Val.
Valki never knew her father. Given her bardic tendencies, she's joked that he's probably an antagonist.
Her mother, Hiriko, was a draconic sorceress. Valki did not witness her death.
Almost all of the rumors about her are false.
Has never killed anyone.

Dakkon

Quote from: Ershin on August 17, 2014, 05:55:26 PM
The following is a work in progress for both fluff and crunch.
Also I'd rather not step on anyone's toes, would you prefer if I chose a class other than Arcanist since Autocad has already posted a wizard?

Kythera gained her name roughly three years ago when she was unearthed in the Kytheran ruins to the far south, the android's shell reduced mostly to her torso and head, suspended from the chamber's ceiling connected to various machines seemingly designed to keep the blonde machine stabalised, though the excavation team who discovered her had polarised theories about whether this was an actual attempt to keep her alive or a way to stop a new soul from entering the body as this had been noted as happening through androids' life cycles. The body was removed from the ruins and brought to the Temple of Brigh in the town of Torch, as the lead arcaeologist Raymond Singer had developed a friendship with Joram Kyte.

For over two and half years Joram and his acolytes attempted to tinker with Kythera's body while also slowly disassembling the life support system that had been dug out with her. As a result of the Joram's work, Kythera looks much more obviously artificial than many other androids, owing to her arms and legs being built with more recent technology rather than being completely constructed from technology from a bygone age or beyond the stars.
Four months ago, the life support system was finally switched off, allowing a new soul to enter the Android's form roughly a month later. Possibly owing to her body's past experiences, the feminine construct took to magic like a duck to water, though she's not quite adept with social protocol, in three months she has mastered the arcane to a point where any other student would have taken three years.

I think you've got a cool and workable idea, but it may need some tinkering. Some of the ideas in it don't quite sync with how Androids are portrayed in Pathfinder, although to be fair, most of the information that would tell you that is in the Ecology of Androids article that is a part of this module. I'll point some things out and give you some snippets to help you adjust the background.

Androids are partially construct, but they are much, much closer to an organic being than to a machine that looks like a human. In fact, I'd hesitate to even call them machines. In other settings, they may be termed androids instead, since they are more organic artificial constructs than mechanical ones. The only real steel and wire machinery in their biology is their nanites, everything else is organic or an organic analogue.

Quote from: Ecology of AndroidsEvery aspect of the android body is engineered to mirror human biology, even at the expense of practicality or optimization. Specialized nanites construct new androids inside incubators that resemble sarcophagi. A bone-like polymer makes up the skeleton, on which are layered synthetic muscles and connective tissue. The android’s 5 artificial organs mimic those of humans, including heart, lungs, digestive tract, and nervous system. In the final stages of construction, the nanites lay down partially organic skin and hair analogs that so closely resemble that of organic humans as to be indistinguishable from them. The only physical trait that indicates androids’ nature is a slight metallic sheen to their eyes if viewed in the right light. Otherwise, androids outwardly resemble humans in all ways, including a great diversity in skin, hair, and eye coloration.

An android eats, drinks, breathes, and excretes much like a human, though certain improvements have been made. Androids do not require sleep, and resist biological diseases. Their thin, watery blood carries life-sustaining oxygen in the fluid itself rather than in cells. Instead of clotting, android bleeding is halted by repairs carried out by nanites. These nanites carry out other biological functions as well, including cleansing the body of accumulated toxins. Androids have limited control of their nanites, and can call on them to exceed their normal bodily and mental limits for an instant’s effort. Some androids attain a higher level of control, and can marshal their nanites to heal grievous wounds in moments.

More than any other element, the android brain, is what makes androids truly alive and sentient. For this brain, the engineers eschewed circuitry in favor of a fully organic computer. Its artificial cells implement adaptive neural network designed to mimic their best understanding of living brains.

With age and the inevitable failing of their systems weighing upon them, some androids proved able to bring on a reset of their own initiative and passed this knowledge to others of their kind. This process, now called renewal, erases the android’s mind, releases its soul to travel to the Boneyard, and leaves its body a vacant shell. For 2 to 3 weeks, the android is inactive as nanites rebuild and restore its body to its original, youthful state. Ready to live again, the android awakens to a new life with a reborn soul and, occasionally, faint residual memories of its prior lives.

Finding an Android torso on life support may be possible, but I don't think that the technology of Golorian would be sufficiently advanced enough to replace her missing limbs, and the life support systems would have to be major, otherwise here organs and blood loss would kill her, just like any other humanoid. Perhaps through a combination of magic, luck, and the life support, they were able to graft bits and pieces of cybernetics discovered in the ruins onto her and trigger in the nanites into accepting the graphs and mostly converting them into material that is similar to those normally found in an androids body, although the conversion may mot be complete.

The other major factor you would have to consider is the Technic League. They would not hesitate to steal Kythera and use her for their own nefarious purposes if they found out about her, and they have spies everywhere. Raymond and Joram would likely have had to keep her a secret and she would have to hide parts of her that are obviously not human.

As for class, that's totally up to you. I don't have mind have multiple options when selecting characters and I expect there will be a lot of applications to this one.

I hope that's helpful! I don't want to force a change in you concept, just trying to give some guidance with the background that I know not everyone has access to.

Quote from: ThisOneGal on August 17, 2014, 06:25:02 PM
Still working on fluff.

Crunchy stuff: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=171921

Can you double check your link? Its not valid for me.

ThisOneGal

Link should be fixed now.

Edit: Also, are ropebows a thing? They should be a thing.

Dakkon

Quote from: ThisOneGal on August 17, 2014, 08:05:37 PM
Link should be fixed now.

Edit: Also, are ropebows a thing? They should be a thing.

Okay, thanks, that's much better. One thing of note is that you can only take one of Numerian Archeologist and Local Ties, since both traits are Campaign Traits, and characters may only possess one trait of each type.

I've haven't heard of ropebows before and google has turned up nothing on them relating to pathfinder.

ThisOneGal

Traits fixed.

Ropebow stuff was me talking about the rope bow from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and the rope arrow from Tomb Raider (2013). Basically, using an arrow to attach a rope to something so you can climb it. Unworkable in reality (rope will be too heavy/short to be useful, arrow is unlikely to be a secure anchor point for anything useful), but it's a cool idea.

TheGlyphstone

There's assorted magic items that can do similar stuff, but nothing mundane that we can have at 1st level, no.

ThisOneGal

I wasn't expecting anything at first level, but I didn't find anything at all.

So there being similar stuff later on is cool.

Dakkon

What you may be able to do is make a durable arrow (1 gp) out of adamantine (+60gp) and tie a good rope to it. It's not high tech, and you'd probably want really good rope, but it may be slightly more doable.

deadmanshand

Well... this is my first attempt to get involved in a game here on Elliquiy. So not super acquainted with the site yet or how things generally work around here yet but hoping to change that. Iron Gods sounds interesting. Right up my alley in fact.

So - without further ado - may I present Graham Luftweld?

NG, Human, Alchemist (Crypt Breaker)

Graham is the second born child of Christof and Melinda Luftweld - Ustalavan by birth but true natives of the road. Merchants by trade who traded in everything and with everyone. As much of his childhood was spent among the ruins of Osirion as among the market stalls of Talidor. While his sister - Helena - took after the business showing a good head for numbers and trade Graham found a different path. His first love was tales of other worlds and mysteries locked away in ruins. Strange creatures and danger and treasure... that was what called to him. His parents not only supported him they paid for his apprenticeship with the gnomish alchemist Majet.

She took him in and treated him like one of her own. For 3 long years he lived and traveled with her. Learning every aspect of alchemy he could from her and even incorporating tricks from books he'd read. Finally she told him his apprenticeship was at end. They celebrated and Graham even spent some time with his family afterwards but his goal was already fixed in his head.

Numeria. A land of fallen stars, ancient ruins, and strange, otherworldly creatures. It was made for him.

With his family's blessings, a full stomach, and a new wardrobe he set out for that land. In short order he found himself in Torch a little short on coin but quick with a smile. Doing his best to bring out the mother in the older women and the lover in the younger. Always looking out for a party that might have need of his talents.

Questions/Thoughts/etc:

1. Are you cool with racial substitution abilities?
2. I'm interested in having some kind of ties to Jhestine Imierin of Tempting Tonics. Of whatever nature. Is there anymore information on her?

Now obviously those questions only really matter if you are interested in me writing with you. If this character doesn't work for you or the party simply needs something different I can try that. A Cleric or Inquisitor of Brigh could be interesting. Same for an Impossible Blood Sorcerer or a Holy Gun Paladin. Ideas I am never short of. If you're curious as to what kind of writer I am I do have a writing sample up at my O/Os linked in my signature.