(WoW) Why the Alliance Hate and Why is the Horde so Popular?

Started by LunarSage, July 04, 2011, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 14, 2011, 12:19:02 PM
As long as they replace Tiron Fordring as the leader - the man whose bright idea it was to stage a massive gladiator death tournament on the Lich King's doorstep?

Eh, PvP zones often don't really make much sense in the context of the game's lore...

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Silverfyre

Except that they usually do, lore wise.  The Argent Tournament was hardly a traditional "PvP zone" save for the flavor of lore that was involved with it being "Horde" vs. "Alliance" but you rarely went up against other players there if I remember correctly.

meikle

Quote from: Silverfyre on August 15, 2011, 07:52:13 AM
Except that they usually do, lore wise.  The Argent Tournament was hardly a traditional "PvP zone" save for the flavor of lore that was involved with it being "Horde" vs. "Alliance" but you rarely went up against other players there if I remember correctly.

Yep, the Argent Tournament was just a grind surrounding a short dungeon and a raid.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Silverfyre

Shjade

I always found it interesting how jousting was so love/hate. I don't think I ever met anyone who was just sorta meh about it; people either went all YAY MOUNTED COMBAT FINALLY or MAN FUCK JOUSTING SO HARD.

I wasn't a zealous fan of the mechanic, myself, but I did like it, mostly because I was pretty good at it. Could clear all 5 upper tier joust challenges and the 4 lesser tier challenges (or was it 4 and 3? Been too long, I forget) on the same horse without going under 70% health on it in a smooth clear, fly down, wipe out the courtyard knights, done. It wasn't a profound minigame or anything, but it was a neat little divergence from the normal stationary combat.

On the other hand one of my better friends in the game hated it 'cause she had so much trouble with it. Helped her with it when I could, but it was still a bother for her. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Silverfyre

My computer at the time was hardly the best and I had some graphic issues out there at the tournament for the first few months before I got a newer card. The controls were clunky at best.  It was also the fact that you really HAD to joust to get anywhere with the dailies and the dungeon that bothered me.  I'm all for new mechanics but if people don't want to use them, don't make 'em.  Just my opinion.

Aiden

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on August 15, 2011, 10:23:27 PM
It's funny because it's true.

Yet the character doing the discussion is of a race that has the intent of wiping all life on the planet off the map.

TheGlyphstone

That bit, yeah. Now, someone go do up a comic about the poor Quillboars.  :P

LunarSage

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 15, 2011, 10:26:37 PM
Yet the character doing the discussion is of a race that has the intent of wiping all life on the planet off the map.

+1

Chris Brady

If nothing else, WoW has had two major expansions dealing with Alliance made villains.  Burning Crusade, where the big bad is Illidan Stormrage, brother of Malfurion.  And Arthas Teranas, aka The Lich King.

although...  I admit that I cannot really fault him for the purging of Strathholme.  There really was no way of saving that town.  What he did later on?  Yeah, he's going to Hell for that.

Also, patch 4.2 confirms that the Horde is better then the Alliance, with that cute Thrall chain for that Epic.  He's the greatest hope the world of Azeroth has.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 15, 2011, 11:29:16 PM
If nothing else, WoW has had two major expansions dealing with Alliance made villains.  Burning Crusade, where the big bad is Illidan Stormrage, brother of Malfurion.  And Arthas Teranas, aka The Lich King.

although...  I admit that I cannot really fault him for the purging of Strathholme.  There really was no way of saving that town.  What he did later on?  Yeah, he's going to Hell for that.

Also, patch 4.2 confirms that the Horde is better then the Alliance, with that cute Thrall chain for that Epic.  He's the greatest hope the world of Azeroth has.

I hope you'll not fault me for wishing he'd chosen a better Warcheif though. I couldn't stand Garrosh in Beta and from what I've seen he's no more a leader now than then.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 15, 2011, 10:26:37 PM
Like I said: it's funny because it's true. That includes the context of who's telling the story and why. ;p
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 15, 2011, 11:40:15 PM
I hope you'll not fault me for wishing he'd chosen a better Warcheif though. I couldn't stand Garrosh in Beta and from what I've seen he's no more a leader now than then.
I have dubbed him King Whiny.  When I'm on my Orc (which is rare) and I'm in Orgrimmar, I always make a note of going to his hall and giving my proper respects.  By walking up to him and /spit.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

LunarSage

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 15, 2011, 11:29:16 PM

Again... the Alliance are not villains.  Wrynn and a few others are morally questionable, but that doesn't magically make the Alliance the bad guys anymore than that little story up there makes the Defias the good guys.  They were still a band of murderous thugs and pirates who needed to be stopped, regardless of their origins.

Also, saying one faction in a video game is "better" is odd, even outright silly... I love the Alliance, but I wouldn't say my faction is better.  This is something I see about Horde players a lot (I'm not implying that you in particular do all this, but it seems to be common enough that it's worth mentioning).  They wear Horde clothing... they go around chanting "for the Horde" at cons and sometimes more mundane places.  They take the game frighteningly seriously.  It's like "dude, it's a game... why does what imaginary faction I choose to play my imaginary character in on a video game of all things cause you to judge my worth as a person in real life?"  Alliance players tend to be less obsessive over the game in my experience.

Silverfyre

That's a rather one-sided opinion.  I've seen Alliance players do the exact same thing you are accusing the Horde players of doing.  People take gaming seriously, regardless of what side they may choose to play and what game they play. It can become an addiction but it's rare that it is something debilitating.  It's a culture all its own. 

Krysia

Quote from: LunarSage on August 16, 2011, 07:18:00 AM
Also, saying one faction in a video game is "better" is odd, even outright silly... I love the Alliance, but I wouldn't say my faction is better.  This is something I see about Horde players a lot (I'm not implying that you in particular do all this, but it seems to be common enough that it's worth mentioning).  They wear Horde clothing... they go around chanting "for the Horde" at cons and sometimes more mundane places.  They take the game frighteningly seriously.  It's like "dude, it's a game... why does what imaginary faction I choose to play my imaginary character in on a video game of all things cause you to judge my worth as a person in real life?"  Alliance players tend to be less obsessive over the game in my experience.

If this is true, then why did you start this thread? If you didn't feel "so strongly" about the Alliance then why bring this whole topic up?

From what I see the whole thing boils down to opinion. I've seen both Alliance and Horde players be fanatical about the game and their faction. It's my opinion that the Horde is better for my style of gaming I enjoy. Doesn't mean an Alliance player has any less fun (unless I body camp) then I do.

LunarSage

I started the thread out of curiosity, not out of fanaticism for a fictional faction.  It just seemed odd the way Horde players would look down on me for not playing Horde.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Krysia

Quote from: LunarSage on August 16, 2011, 08:45:49 AM
I started the thread out of curiosity, not out of fanaticism for a fictional faction.  It just seemed odd the way Horde players would look down on me for not playing Horde.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I've had the same thing happen by an Alliance player. I was told I wasn't a "True" WoW player because my 85 wasn't an Alliance character. At the same time I told said person that it could be said to him cause his level 85 wasn't a Horde character. Each faction can be equally douchetastic.

Jin

Quote from: LunarSage on August 16, 2011, 08:45:49 AM

Well the way I see it it is a choice you can -choose- to play either Alliance or Horde. Though it seems that you look down on us for playing Horde. So how is that fair? I mean I have seen  the fanatical players on both sides. My boss was just telling me the other day about two guys who about got into a fist fight because one of them played Alliance and the other was Horde. Both sides are just as bad...

Just to point out. Every time someone bashes the Horde in this thread you always give it a +1. And are talking about how good the Alliance is. How is that not being fanatical?

LunarSage

Quote from: Jin on August 16, 2011, 08:52:03 AM
Though it seems that you look down on us for playing Horde. So how is that fair?

*blinks*

Where in the world did you get that idea?  I resent being looked down on by a lot of Horde players I've met, but I don't think any less of them for their own choice.

Krysia

Quote from: LunarSage on August 16, 2011, 08:54:38 AM
*blinks*

Where in the world did you get that idea?  I resent being looked down on by a lot of Horde players I've met, but I don't think any less of them for their own choice.

He went back an added this:

Quote from: Jin on August 16, 2011, 08:52:03 AM
Just to point out. Every time someone bashes the Horde in this thread you always give it a +1. And are talking about how good the Alliance is. How is that not being fanatical?

TheGlyphstone

Krysia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 16, 2011, 08:57:55 AM
Because it's SRS BZNS.

+1! You made me laugh so hard when I saw this! Thank you so much sir! :D