News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Monster Hunter (Pathfinder with some 3.5)

Started by ulthakptah, November 01, 2013, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nsDJChL8WA
What do I mean by Monster Hunter? I mean like the series Monster Hunter by Capcon. In which a group of hunters get together and take down some big bad beasts. This is a low magic game; it is more about waging your steel against tooth and nail, then using said teeth and nails to make better steel. Magic is still around, but I would like for players to stick with the theme and focus mainly on weapons. Magic weapons and armor don't exist in a sense. They can't just be bought, but have to be upgraded or made from the monsters you hunt. I realize this will be a lot of work for me and for the most part just be making stuff up on the fly when you look into seeing what you can make from those Tarrasque claws you managed to walk away with, but that could be fun. Naturally any Monster Hunter special weapons (like my personal favorite, the gunlance) will need some sort of base weapon stats to be upgraded with.

Since this is mainly an idea at the moment, I would love some feed back as well as suggestions for starting level and system. I know Pathfinder and 3.5 so those would be preferred, maybe even a little of both if that's what people want. In Monster Hunter the magic number seems to be about four, but if more people than that want to play there can always be two hunting parties.

Edit: Starting level 8, full hit points for each level, two traits, 33,000 starting gold, generating stats you have a choice of 1d12+8 for each ability, or take 18, 16, 15, 15, 14, 12.

Submitted characters:

PhantomPistoleer: Kalem Lockhart, Human Factotum. Longbows/Longswords
Wheresmycow: Leo, Human Fighter, Longbows
Ghostwheel: Saren, Half-Elf Factotum/Warblade/Fighter, Longbows/Falchions
Ershin: Svala, Human Barbarian, Greatswords
Blackflow: Solomur, Dwarf Monk, Longbows
Phaia: Arainna, Elf Bard, Elven Curved Blades/Longbows/Voice.

PhantomPistoleer

If this is Pathfinder, not interested!

If this is 3.5, definitely interested.

If this is 3.5 gestalt, I WILL SLAY ALL MONSTERS.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ghostwheel

This got my interest as well--though I think I'm the opposite (interested in 3.5, VERY interested in Pathfinder, no interest whatsoever in gestalt as you often get people who step on each others' toes as far as what they can do goes...)

Shjade

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 01, 2013, 02:49:40 PM
If this is 3.5 gestalt, I WILL SLAY ALL MONSTERS.

Which leaves the rest of your group doing...what, exactly?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Ghostwheel

As far as levels are concerned (since you asked), I think it would be cool if we started at mid/higher levels (8-14 or so?) since it seems most games start at first level (or fifth at most) and there's rarely a chance to experience that higher-level gameplay that constitutes much of the system.

Ixy

I could do any.  I think I prefer PF but not the heavy pre-written settings.  What I would like to see is some idea of setting, tone, thematic elements and the like.  I'm in one 3.5 game that is suffering from 'too many players, too little interaction', another 3.5 that just stopped with no posting from the GM (not even a 'hi! still alive!') for 2 months. Do you have anything in mind besides that we'll be looking at a melee-focused party and taking on higher-hit-die creatures with lower numbers?

I gotta say, I'd love to see a game that simply lasts long enough/keeps moving enough to actually face a monster.

ulthakptah

Setting wise should be pretty straight forward. There is a new settlement near some valuable natural resources. Rich people want the resources, but they can't because of all the near by beasts and monsters. The solution is to hire the monster hunter guild to supply monster hunters. You monster hunters are called in. The guild sets you up with a nice shack to all share. Whenever there is a big nasty nearby you have to set out on a hunt to kill it, and get rewarded.

Something to keep in mind is that you are hunting, so things like tracking and being able to survive in the wild might come in handy.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on November 02, 2013, 02:10:24 PM
I could do any.  I think I prefer PF but not the heavy pre-written settings.  What I would like to see is some idea of setting, tone, thematic elements and the like.  I'm in one 3.5 game that is suffering from 'too many players, too little interaction', another 3.5 that just stopped with no posting from the GM (not even a 'hi! still alive!') for 2 months. Do you have anything in mind besides that we'll be looking at a melee-focused party and taking on higher-hit-die creatures with lower numbers?

I gotta say, I'd love to see a game that simply lasts long enough/keeps moving enough to actually face a monster.

I think she's alluding to a game I was running.  :/

Sorry, Ixy, I'm a jerk.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 02, 2013, 09:13:47 PM
I think she's alluding to a game I was running.  :/

Sorry, Ixy, I'm a jerk.

Sorry, not trying to be bitchy.

ulthakptah

Well it seems that more people are leaning towards pathfinder, which is fine. I still have deep love for 3.5 so some monsters/items/classes can be transferred over and remade for pathfinder. Only one person seems interested in gestalt, which I have had trouble with in the past. Seems for starting level the only suggestion is upper middle, so expect big scary things like dragons and aboleths.

I'm not sure if anyone was interested in knowing the geographical setting, but the untamed wilds you will be hunting in is an archipelago of islands formed over a volcanic hot spot. The largest of the islands is still very much volcanically active. The town you will be staying at is on the smallest island on the other side of the chain, and has mostly been deforested to build the town. Transportation via ship will be provided so no need to worry about how you will get to and from the hunting grounds.

Oh another helpful hint. With all this raw untamed jungle, Alchemy items are basically free to craft, provided you have the know how to find ingredients and make concoctions.

Ghostwheel

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 04, 2013, 02:13:31 PM
Well it seems that more people are leaning towards pathfinder, which is fine. I still have deep love for 3.5 so some monsters/items/classes can be transferred over and remade for pathfinder. Only one person seems interested in gestalt, which I have had trouble with in the past. Seems for starting level the only suggestion is upper middle, so expect big scary things like dragons and aboleths.

I'm not sure if anyone was interested in knowing the geographical setting, but the untamed wilds you will be hunting in is an archipelago of islands formed over a volcanic hot spot. The largest of the islands is still very much volcanically active. The town you will be staying at is on the smallest island on the other side of the chain, and has mostly been deforested to build the town. Transportation via ship will be provided so no need to worry about how you will get to and from the hunting grounds.

Oh another helpful hint. With all this raw untamed jungle, Alchemy items are basically free to craft, provided you have the know how to find ingredients and make concoctions.

Can I submit a Pathfinder Factotum, then? o_o
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ulthakptah

PhantomPistoleer

Neato!

Will make character for submission once character creation rules are established.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ulthakptah

Well I want it to start off challenging, but eventually for everyone to be bad ass slayers of beasts, so level 8 with high abilities. For generating stats you have a choice of 1d12+8 for each ability, or take 18, 16, 15, 15, 14, 12. Hit dice will be max for all levels. That should make everyone plenty hardy for the monsters to chew on. Also since pathfinder start with two traits.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ghostwheel

I assume we'd take the standard character wealth for that level... though there are always variant rules some people like to use ;D

ulthakptah

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 04, 2013, 04:32:11 PM
What about GP?
Standard for 8th level which in pathfinder is 33,000. No magic weapons or armor can be bought.

Ghostwheel

Decided to make an Inquisitor.

I'll have some Teamwork feats if anyone wants to gain the benefit of those by picking them up as well :-)

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 04, 2013, 05:10:30 PM
Standard for 8th level which in pathfinder is 33,000. No magic weapons or armor can be bought.

When you say that, I assume that we can purchase other magical items.  Right?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ulthakptah

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 04, 2013, 06:27:42 PM
Decided to make an Inquisitor.

I'll have some Teamwork feats if anyone wants to gain the benefit of those by picking them up as well :-)

I think that I will be an archer type of factotum.  What teamwork feats did you have in mind?  I may take out "manyshot."
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Kalem Lockhart, Human Factotum

HP:  68;  AC:  19;  Mood:  Jovial
Character Sheet

Background: 

Personality:

History:

OOC:

WIP
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ghostwheel

Looking over my charsheet, currently I have Coordinated Charge and Lookout. Lookout might be a good one if you're ranged...

Wheresmycow

I'm interested and thinking of making an archer fighter, to give that long range support.

One quick question though: what about special materials for weapons and armor?
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs