TamperMonkey Script

Started by Ssieth, June 09, 2015, 05:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Morgue

Exactly. This whole post is about 64 words long.

adding in an image and such moves my post from 64 words long, to 65 words long instead. But it'll post (most likely) with the lower number as the actual count.

The Image counts as a word. So for every image you include, it's basically adding a "word" but that "word" gets removed in post.

EDIT: It showed as 63 words after posting. I'm not sure what else counted as a "word" that wasn't a word. XD

Chasing Dreams

I was more curious than anything because just started participating in the Ewrimo and was trying to figure out which word count to use. I'll just stick with the one on Microsoft word.
Selectively Available for NEW stories.
Status ⋮ Around here somewhere.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 
Posting Order (Click to see.)

Thank you Amaris for the beautiful signature!

atenai

I use wordcounter.net, ChaDre, simply because it's simple, efficient, and I can access it from any computer, no matter where I typed my post. I can also type my post straight into it, if need be. It's often off from the script word count, too, but at least I know I'm using something consistently, and I can use it for off-site posts as well. :)
~Atenai

IRL Status: Offline. On hiatus.

Atenai's Addictions (O/Os & Ideas), Requests, and Apologies [NEW! 17 Jun '23]
Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

Al Terego

Seems like the script's word counting algorithm is pretty simplistic: count groups of characters separated by whitespace, with no special treatment for punctuation or tags.  It is a good approximation, but you need to be aware of the idiosyncrasies.

For example:
go,go,go! -- counts as one word
so ... -- counts as two words
cakes and/or cookies -- counts as three words
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=230790.0]here[/url] -- counts as one word
[img padding=4 height=100]https://elliquiy.com/avatars/avatar_54383_1573422758.jpg[/img] -- counts as three words

Mister Morgue

Quote from: Al Terego on June 09, 2020, 10:42:16 AM
Seems like the script's word counting algorithm is pretty simplistic: count groups of characters separated by whitespace, with no special treatment for punctuation or tags.  It is a good approximation, but you need to be aware of the idiosyncrasies.

For example:
go,go,go! -- counts as one word
so ... -- counts as two words
cakes and/or cookies -- counts as three words
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=230790.0]here[/url] -- counts as one word
[img padding=4 height=100]https://elliquiy.com/avatars/avatar_54383_1573422758.jpg[/img] -- counts as three words

Ahhh, that makes sense. I always use the wordcount feature from the script since I write directly on-site. Since it's what I always use to keep track of my ElliWriMo entries, they're consistent. But I can understand if you started in Word and shifted, the discrepancy might be a bit off-putting.

I would suggest going with whichever you're most comfortable with using. No matter where you get your wordcount from, there might be discrepancies. Consistency should be key, I think. :)

Chasing Dreams

Quote from: atenai on June 09, 2020, 09:44:17 AM
I use wordcounter.net, ChaDre, simply because it's simple, efficient, and I can access it from any computer, no matter where I typed my post. I can also type my post straight into it, if need be. It's often off from the script word count, too, but at least I know I'm using something consistently, and I can use it for off-site posts as well. :)

Thank you for the recommendation. I can't log into E using a work computer, so I usually have one of mine with me. :)

Quote from: Mister Morgue on June 09, 2020, 04:58:30 PM
Ahhh, that makes sense. I always use the wordcount feature from the script since I write directly on-site. Since it's what I always use to keep track of my ElliWriMo entries, they're consistent. But I can understand if you started in Word and shifted, the discrepancy might be a bit off-putting.

I would suggest going with whichever you're most comfortable with using. No matter where you get your wordcount from, there might be discrepancies. Consistency should be key, I think. :)

Thank you for the advice. I'll stick with Word since it's what I've use for years. :)
Selectively Available for NEW stories.
Status ⋮ Around here somewhere.
Posts owed ⋮ 4 out of 11 
Posting Order (Click to see.)

Thank you Amaris for the beautiful signature!

Ssieth

v1.43.2 Nothing should really change in this version from what you see - it's just a little bit of a code tidying on some of the array processing :)  Under-the-hood stuff.
Posting Status: Hoping for 1-3 per week / game
My ONs and OFFs Page (8th April 2024)
One-on-one ideas (8th April 2024)
Possible Absences (13th November 2023)

My Tampermonkey Script for Elliquiy

PM me here or find me as ssieth on discord.

Nowherewoman

*peeks under the Cabbit's hoodie...*
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Ssieth

I'm totally not hiding kittens under there, nononono...

atenai

Somebody say kittens?! ;D
~Atenai

Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

FoxWriter

[tr][td]
My Cafe[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Choose your own adventure : Fates be Chosen[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]50 Tales[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Word of the Day[/td]
[/tr][/table]

atenai

Turtle cat, turtle cat, does whatever a turtle cat does...
~Atenai

FoxWriter

can he hide? in his shell? no he can't, i think he's stuck

Turtle caaaat
[tr][td]
My Cafe[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Choose your own adventure : Fates be Chosen[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]50 Tales[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Word of the Day[/td]
[/tr][/table]

Ssieth

I'm having some issues with the database at cabbit.org.uk so settings exported there might not be available.  Will update you when I got it fixed.

Ssieth

Situation update on cabbit.org.uk...

The database I was using is gone... toasted by the upgrade we ran :(  However.... I have a new database and it is betterer...

Unfortunately this means that any settings you had stored on there are now gone with the old database.  You can put new ones in the new database, though, and this one is developed by Oracle so I have more trust in it :)

For any techheads out there.. old DB was MySQL and the new one is Postgres.

Ssieth

Another update.. cabbit.org.uk has some more issues... bare with me :)

Al Terego

The script seems to have disabled popups (like new PM, etc)
Is this configurable?

Nowherewoman

Minor, minor thing, Ssie m'dear.

Under Manage Tags, t seems you can only delete one each time you open the window.  Click on the first one, you get the popup asking you to confirm; click on anything after that, and nothing happens. You need to close the Manage Tags window and reopen it to re-enable the deletion function.

Not really any sort of priority, just thought you should know. <3
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Ssieth

Quote from: Nowherewoman on July 08, 2020, 10:16:15 AM
Minor, minor thing, Ssie m'dear.

Under Manage Tags, t seems you can only delete one each time you open the window.  Click on the first one, you get the popup asking you to confirm; click on anything after that, and nothing happens. You need to close the Manage Tags window and reopen it to re-enable the deletion function.

Not really any sort of priority, just thought you should know. <3

You want to be able to delete more than one thing at a time?!?  In my day you could only delete one thing a month and then only on a day that had a W in it! 

Yeah.. I'll add it in as something to sort out for the next fix ;p

Wandering Mind

I'm not the most computer savvy person but I've noticed that the script will replace the text that I was working on with a saved draft when I use the preview function.  I noticed that I sent a PM to the wrong person, this way.  Is there something I can do to prevent that from happening or should I avoid using the preview button? 
Estimated response rate: 3 to 10 days.
Owed Posts: Too many
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Amaris

Click on Script Settings... There is a Drafts section in the settings. Uncheck the box that says 'auto load drafts'. I also checked the box that said 'auto clear draft when you post'. This fixed the problem for me!

Wandering Mind

[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Amaris

You're quite welcome! It took me quite a while to figure out myself and had that same frustration!

Wandering Mind

I didn't expect an answer so quickly.

[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Ssieth

Yes- I really should disable the auto-load drafts in the next release.  It causes to many issues to be worth having...