News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Bound by curse (Sain and PennySludt)

Started by Sain, November 14, 2014, 03:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

Kate was growing anxious. She looked behind her towards the alley that lead to a larger street, likely the direction people would be coming from to pick up the cauldron and dishes. Her gestures grew more furious; hands flailed about wildly.

"Hmm... why not just go? I don't quite know what this thieving means, but she seems to be alright with it. Maybe it is a thing in this city like the girl says," Calden commented in a calm and hushed tone that emanated form Astrid's shoulder. He had not seen everything that clearly, but the auras he saw through clothes and conversation between the thief and witch had been enough to give the boy a general idea of what was going on. Calden didn't seem all that worried. Something about being with people, being in a village, made this all seem safe as if nothing could go wrong. After all the only "bad" people in the life of these kids had been some other children teasing Astrid for her lack of proper magic and maybe that witch in the woods? That last one Calden was beginning to think may have actually been a good person in the very end, as she had left them those strange glyph to copy from the tree bark. "It's not like you two are taking all of the soup, right? I mean the cauldor has got to be pretty big, or is it small? Just two girls taking two plates out of something meant for many workmen... they probably won't even notice it."

Before Astrid could climb down however, everyone in that shadowed alley could hear noises. Voices echoed from the corridor between buildings opening to main street, deep rumbling voices chuckling to some jest. Kate dropped her eyes off of Astrid and frantically looked around, her eyes searched for a hiding place. There was some barrel at the corner, but if she went there the men would see her once they came to the cauldron! She looked towards the wall that led to Astrid, climbing was too hard as well. She would not be fast enough. The voices were closer, only a corner away... Kate had to decide on the spot.

The girl quickly crawled under the little wooden rack under the huge cauldron that was meant to make it easier to carry. She went out of sight just in time as two large and muscular old men came from around the corner. Both had brown leathery aprons, working gloves and leather pants all with black stains and scrapes they had no doubt gained from work in the foundry. One was bald and the other sported a full brown beard to go with his short hair. His words could be heard now, "Hohoho! Does me nose smell pepper? And is that... garlic?  Yumm They've really outdone themselves this time. Let's take the cauldron. Henrich and Matt will bring the rest." With relative ease the two mean lifted the large black metal cauldron along with the carrying rack under which Kate had gone hiding and began carrying it out of the alley, into the shadowy corridor.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

PennySludt

Astrid listened to Calden as she looked down on Kate, feeling slightly better now that he had also said it seemed to be okay. She nodded, "Okay...You're probably right. And yes, the cauldron is very big. I guess I'll try and find a way down without breaking my neck..." She was just about to start looking for a way to get down when she heard the voices and froze in shock, staring down at the young girl in the courtyard with wide eyes. She gestured to Kate to come back up, unaware that it would be too hard to climb back up the way she had come.

Astrid covered her mouth with her hands as she watched Kate scramble under the huge pot, slipping into the stand that supported the massive thing. She was afraid the girl would get burned by the hot metal if she even made it under there! But she didn't see her come out again, and almost immediately two large men appeared, laughing and talking amiably. She ducked down slightly behind the pitch of the roof and gasped when she saw them lifting the pot and beginning to carry it away!

"NO!" she whispered in horror. "What do I do!? What do I do!?" She watched the men disappear back down the alleyway and peered back over the side looking to see how to get down. Gingerly she swung her leg over the edge and held onto the roof as she swung her other leg down slowly. Her foot searched for some kind of hold, finally finding something that seemed steady. She lowered herself carefully and hung onto it as she attempted to get the rest of the way down. She glanced behind her at the ground. It wasn't too much farther...maybe she could just jump...

She did. And fell hard on her butt with a little bounce and a big 'OOF'! It took her a moment to catch her breath and scramble to her feet again. Looking down the alley the men had taken she began jogging quietly after them. She could still hear their voices, though they were a good distance ahead of her. What if she lost them! What if Kate got into trouble! She ran faster, trying to follow the sounds of their laughter and chatter.
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Sain

Calden couldn't quite see all the details that Astrid was observing, but he could make out from the bits and pieces what was happening in that murky bluish canvas of auras that his eye saw. If he had a mouth the boy's lower jaw would probably have dropped in shock. For all the chases in the forest and little things they had run into with Astrid, Calden wasn't that used to surprises like these. "What do... what do?" He chanted in a quiet absent minded tone, merely repeating Astrid's own words as his thoughts blanked of ideas.

He was luckily not in charge of the body he was riding however. Calden had to do nothing but watch as the little witch began moving and descended. Although the landing lacked grace and sent the boy's view wobbling as Astrid's shoulder moved around in her standing up, it was all done pretty swiftly. He looked to the direction the men had disappeared to. The thick stone houses blocked his sight as well as any trees even if they were cold and lacked any signs of life on their own. The little exercise and movement of Astrid's made him give a mental kick in his metaphorical butt and try start thinking; he had to try help too! But what could he do?

The voices of the men were easy to follow especially as one of the men in particular had a burly and deep laughter that made every chuckle of his hail to Astrid like a signaling horn. They had gone past the alley and disappeared behind another corner. It was rather easy to keep up and hidden for the nimble little girl. After all, the men were carrying a heavy iron pot filled with soup which despite their bulky structure must have been quite a load or at least definitely was enough to considerably slow down their pace. It was easy to keep up a stealthy pursuit for someone used to sneaking in the woods as in the end this town was not altogether that different from a forest with immensely thick trees depending on how one thought about it. Calden had gathered his thoughts enough to express them in a worry. He saw no one nearby and thus didn't really bother to hush or soften his voice too much other than to keep it quiet enough so as to not give away Astrid's position to the two men carrying the cauldron, "Hey! What do you think you're doing? Should- should we really be chasing them? I mean... what can we possibly do?"

Calden let out a confused chuckle as he continued, sarcastically proposing some silly idea as he could not come up with good ones, "You're going to walk up to them and just say; 'Hey. I forgot my friend under your cauldron. Can I have her back.' Yeah- um...  I'm not sure if that'll work. Kate did say that she wasn't supposed to be noticed when she does stealing. What would happen if she is caught doing that stuff? Wouldn't it be band? It is wrong isn't it? It kind of sounded like it was to me, or was she joking? I could not see her face that well."

All the while Calden spoke, Astrid kept up with the two men. They were slowly making their way towards the forges, but now as they had gotten to a staircase which led higher up to the top of the hill where their workplace was, their treading had slowed down considerably. Astrid could spy from behind a corner that opened up into the steep ascending stairs the two men grunting as they climbed and a brief glimpse of Kate's clothing from underneath the wooden carrying platform. Some few dozen steps up there was a small platform and as the men arrived there they wearily laid the cauldron down on the ground. One of them began shaking his thick arms, trying to relieve the tension his muscles had gathered up. The other one stroke up some small talk with his friend, looking towards him from over the cauldron. Kate could be seen now as her face appeared at the edge. She did not spot Astrid as the little witch stayed at a safe distance, but she looked around and her eyes seemed to catch onto something. Following the little thief's gaze Astrid would too notice that the cauldron had been set just right next to another narrow alley opening. It was difficult to see where it led from how hopeful Kate's eyes looked when they peered towards it, it was easy enough to surmise that it could be her escape route. Kate did not seem to dare to dart there though... she looked up along the feet of one of the men with a little disappointed frown on her mouth.

PennySludt

When Calden expressed alarm and concern about following the men, Astrid shook her head. "I don't know. I'll think of something! I can't let her get in trouble or anything! Maybe something will come to me if we stay close. I'll figure it out." She ignored his comments about Kate's stealing, mostly because she had been thinking the same thing but she didn't want to betray her friend. Sure enough, an opportunity to help presented itself when the men put the cauldron down for a rest.

She suddenly saw Kate's little head peeking out and looking around, seeming to fix on something nearby. Astrid looked in that direction and felt a little spark of hope when she noticed the alleyway. Her mind began working fast. It didn't seem like Kate thought she could risk dashing out of her hiding place to get there. In an instant of inspiration, Astrid dashed forward and approached the two men, glancing down quickly at Kate before looking back up at the men again.

"Um...excuse me...sirs...." she started, stammering slightly with nerves. "I...um....was wondering if you could...um...tell me how to get to the...um....bakery....?" she asked, desperately hoping Kate would seize the opportunity to escape while she distracted the two men.
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Sain

Calden had not been all that convinced about the choice of his host; he would have wanted a moment to comment the possible dangers; but there wasn't much to do when she decided on something now days. His point of view was't really the most ideal with a layer of clothes muffling the auras his eye saw. Some of the details (most of them really) in the scene like whether or not the men looked dangerous or friendly were all obscured. Astrid could be sure that Calden suppressed more than a few outbursts of bafflement.

The bearded man turned slowly to peer back and down at the base of the stairs from where a strange little traveler revealed herself. His friends eyes had gone to the girl right when she had come from around the corner and that shift in attention had been his cue to look at her too. Both of the men looked more surprised than anything and simply waited for Astrid to speak. Hilltown being a relatively small village, they had already heard rumours of the newest visitor, and though the men might not have shown it to Astrid they too shared a curiosity similar to Kate's. Travelers were something of a rarity in these rural areas and many - like these men - thought of them as something mysterious. It seemed at least one of these fellows in particular didn't fear the unknown though. The bearded man smiled openly - a white row of teeth shining in middle of the brown bush of hair - his friend was more disturbed as he had just been in middle of explaining something 'important'. "Hoo? What is it?" Started the bearded man with a friendly ring in his deep voice to try and help the fidgeting kid speak up. His arms shifted to a align with rest of the man's comfortably patient pose, crossing over his belly. The smile he wore soon rose to a grin. He answered immediately, "Aye, no problem lil miss. It's uhm..." The bearded man gave his bald friend a quick glance and idly scratched his tummy as his forehead tightened into a momentary ponder. "It is on the Elf Maiden's stairs no? Yes, it is!" He turned back to Astrid. The friend hadn't been particularly helpful in confirming his suspicions, it was more for mental support.

"Yeah! You go up these stairs to the very top and..." He said and began to explain in great detail the directions Astrid should follow to find Grumbles' bakery; it was the only one in town. Soon the reason why the bald one was so disgruntled by Astrid's interruption dawned. The bearded one, he was quite the talker actually once he got warmed up. No doubt the moments when he let his friend share his mind were rare and far in between and thus treasured. Soon enough the bald one was counting clouds and leaning his rear on the cauldron while waiting for the topic to shift from Grumbles' bakery to the only cafe of the village, then back to the bakery and finally trailing wholly off course to inter village trading and how the silver mine of Hilltown was a real pride of its people.

It was relatively easy for Kate to take advantage of the moment. She was surprisingly meticulous about this though. Many times her head peeked through the holes of the wooden rack, every time a little farther as she scouted out where the men were looking. When she finally moved it was a sneak move worthy of praise and would have went undetected by Astrid too had she not known where the tiny thief was hiding. There was a long shadow cast by a nearby alcove connecting two buildings. Neither men suspected anything as a small silhouette slipped into the alley and out of the scene. Astrid could hear Calden's approving 'hmph' softly from her shoulder. "Phew, nice. I guess you were right this time, but I would really like if you keep me up with what's happening somehow," he whispered, though quiet his voice was clear enough to be heard from below the workman's booming tone.

Eventually the witch could wiggle herself out of the conversation and leave. Kate had not stuck around to wait for her, but it was rather easy to figure out where she had gone, with what Astrid mentioning the bakery and all that...

A silver plate with the words 'Elf Maiden's stairs' engraved on it was bolted to the wall of a building at the very top of the hill. Steep stone stairs, not unlike many others in the town, trailed down in dizzyingly steep descend, curving slightly to the left so that the very end of the street was out of sight. The sun did not shine on this side of the town yet. The warm autumn sun was replaced by a blanket of cool shade that wrapped the streets in a light blue hue. Astrid had to squint her eyes to make out the small nameplates of each building, but the windows were really the biggest help. Even if they had not had a bakery back in home village, the witch should be able to tell where people were baking right? Maybe.

"Maybe the bearded man lied," Calden suggested when they had already went at least half way down the hill and nearing a corner on the Elf Maiden's stairs with still no signs of bakery in sight! "He did seem pretty sincere though...  why would he-" He quickly shut up as a familiar voice hailed out from the very corner. Kate was there, grinning like she did so well, waving her tiny hand vigorously to get Astrid's attention. "Oi! Here! Here! Come here!" She shouted. The bakery was there, but pretty well hidden as Astrid could observe once she got closer to where the little kid was motioning her to come. The entrance was at the very corner. No big windows, no nothing. The only indication that this was indeed Grumbles' bakery was tiny silver sign resting above the hard wood door.

Kate hurriedly opened the door and immediately Astrid was greeted by a whiff of warmth and pleasant aromas. The room was lit by a few burning candles by the window and bright oil lamps. The air was thick, almost suffocating compared to the fresh cold air outside with some flour floating about and the scents of bread and bakeries dominating everything. Although the entrance was small the room widened up and at the back was really roomy. A hard wooden counter dominated the space and cut the whole room at the middle. Behind it were against the wall thin wooden shelves on which rested pretty much as much food as the whole home village of the kids prepared for winter, and it wasn't even salted or dried; all of it was fresh.

Grumbles greeted the girls as they stepped in, "Afternoon girls. You must be Astrid eh? Hehehe... did she really let you sleep in her hideout? By the Gods that girl can be dumb when she wants to. To let a budding youth spend her first night in town in some scrappy nest. What sort of first impression are we giving here, huh?!" He was turning out to be a rather expressive man despite having very mild and unremarkable appearance from a lightly stubbled round face to the grey garbs he wore. His eyes went wide as if what Kate had done was a transgression comparable to blasphemy or something. The man continued, "Should've brought you here right away, but I suppose best sooner than never..."

"OI TRISTY, YOUR GIRL'S BROUGHT THE TRAVELER HERE!" Grumbles suddenly shouted towards the door at the back with volume that sent everyone's ears ringing.

Out came Kate's much talked mother. She was very short and very much like her daughter with perhaps a little longer hair. It did not at all bode well for Kate's dreams of growing tall one day, but at least she would remain the right size for her thieving hobby. She ran to hug her mommy right away and buried her face under her chest. Tristy patted the little girl's head and lifted her eyes to Astrid. She spoke very gently, but there was a tingle of something sad in her tone, "Hey Astrid. This here's Grumbles and I'm Kate's mother, you can call me Tristy. It's so nice to have people like you visiting our little town. How are you liking it so far."

PennySludt

Astrid tried to listen, or at least appear that she was listening, as the large, friendly man began describing just exactly how to get to the bakery. Her attention though, was torn between him and Kate, whose head kept poking out every so often from beneath the cauldron. She did try to pay attention at least to the general directions on how to get there, so she would know where to go if Kate managed to escape her predicament. As soon as the child slipped out from under the large pot, Astrid relaxed and smiled more naturally up at the large man as he waffled on about this, that, and the next thing. Eventually though, her legs grew tired of standing still and she could tell the other man was beginning to get impatient. When he took a breath, Astrid jumped in.

"Well, thank you very, very much, Sir. I'll just be on my way then and let you get back to your business before your food grows cold. Thank you for your time." She smiled at both of them and scurried off before she could be drawn into another lengthy 'conversation'. Once she had gone a little way from the two men she slowed down and smiled slightly smugly, whispering to Calden.

"Of course I was right. Besides, now that I think about it, was she really in any danger...? She could have just said she was playing hide and seek or something if they'd found her..." Astrid mused as she began following the stairs the way the man had said. She supposed she had perhaps been a little rash in her haste, but in the moment she had been afraid for her friend. She sighed, "Alright, I'll try to keep you in the loop. But how?"

She trudged along the stairs, peering into windows and trying to decipher the little signs, but nothing looked like a bakery. When Calden mentioned the man might have lied she began to wonder that too, but before she could answer him she heard a little, high pitched voice. She looked around and smiled when she saw Kate's grinning face and wildly waving hand. Astrid sped up a little to reach the girl and followed her into the little shop. As the delicious smells of baking assailed her, Astrid's stomach gave a low growl. It smelled delicious! Her eyes grew wide as she looked about the place and caught sight of the masses of baked goods on the shelves. How in the world could they even MAKE that much food, let alone give it to people?

Her thoughts were interrupted when another large man greeted them. She smiled and nodded when he said she must be Astrid, nodding again with a grin when he asked if Kate had really let her sleep in her hideout.

"Oh, no Sir. It was quite alright. I didn't mind it one bit. She made sure I was comfortable, and I had a lovely sleep. Thank you. She's been ever so kind!" She jumped a little when the man suddenly shouted over his shoulder at someone and she glanced at Kate with slightly widened eyes for a second before settling back into a smile as the kind looking woman appeared and Kate ran over to her.

"It's lovely to meet you. Kate talks about you both quite a bit." She smiled when Tristy asked how she liked the town, nodding her head, "It's quite lovely, though I wouldn't call it little!" she giggled. "I've never seen a town as huge as this! And Kate has been awfully lovely to me. She's been kind and generous, and has shown me around a bit. She's been wonderful!" She beamed at her little friend, then looked back at her mother and then at Grumbles. "Thank you very much for the delicious breakfast. It was the most wonderful thing I've had in a long time!"

Sain

Calden had went quiet when asked how he should be kept in loop. Didn't seem like the boy had much thought it further than up to the fact that he just disliked not knowing what was going on. He had muttered in answer, saying he would 'think of something', meaning he probably wouldn't come up with anything in a while. Seemed pretty difficult for him to really be kept out there in the open as people would no doubt be disturbed by the weird eye thing on the girl's shoulder and more so when it would move and talk.

People of the bakery didn't have to know. They were all smile and grin as they welcomed Astrid into the spacious establishment filled with warmth and inviting scents. "Ah! That is good to hear," sighed Grumbles as what little worries he had held of Astrid's impression towards the town seemed to fade with her complimenting the hideout. A silent moment of realization appeared on his face and the older man quickly began clanking through some utensils, plates and such as he began to prepare what seemed like proper dinner. He left the quest's entertainment to Tristy and her daughter. Kate's embrace around her mommy's waist loosened a little and she turned to look back at her newest friend; her face beamed with a blissful little smile. Tristy's hand stayed at the rough short hair of her daughter and began inattentively stroking the hair while keeping her attention on Astrid. "Glad to hear you liked it. I made those actually. There might still be a few"-she cast a glance above the counter towards the baker's back-"but I think Grumbles just began..." her tone faded into mumbling as the booming male voice shouted in response, "YES! YES! I'm preparing a feast - a welcome feast! It'll be great... just hold on I'll... Grrr!" Grumble's fumbling was heralded by a particularly noisome rattle as he accidentally let some pans drop onto the floor. Tristy ignored the man whose rambling quickly became mostly nonsensical monologue.

Tristy continued to behave like a model hostess, treating Astrid with kind and un-intrusive little questions and answers - her travels, if she had something she wanted to know about the town and other such. Kate joined in. Naturally she could not stay quiet and had to add her own opinion to every topic even if it wasn't valid. She did seem to behave a little less high and mighty around her mom though than she had when her and Astrid had been alone. In the background Grumbles ceaselessly worked to produce something for them to enjoy. He would occasionally pop into the backrooms where the real kitchen seemed to be.

It was on its way to be a nice calm evening; mundane without any sort of strange disturbance. Calden had remained quiet. Of course as he did not want to give away their cover. He had also been in a pretty good mood though. There were plenty of sounds, a lively conversation and bright auras of the three humans around them giving him entertainment. Kate yelping and complimenting the smell emanating from kitchen was when his relaxation was interrupted. In that world of his where bright auras danced against a void background a ripple ran across the floor of the blackness or rather a wave of something reached him - them. It flowed harmlessly across the room and people who remained unaware, but to Calden it had different effect which incited a thorough terror in his mind. A vision of himself or at least his own body and the thing that had taken control of it. He could see it stand proudly on top of a black heap with an ominous grin on his lips. The pitch black eyes of the God rose from the lump at its feet and looked into Calden, laughing. He was frozen in fear that the boy could not describe or fully comprehend, but under that weakness began stemming immense rage - how dare it use my body like that?!

Calden's voice was stern when he whispered during a good moment when no one else but Astrid would hear him, "I saw me. I saw 'that' God. Think I know where it is. It's doing something bad. We need to go." He didn't much spare thought for whether or not sun would set in some hours or what Astrid thought right then.

PennySludt

Astrid felt so warm, comfortable and welcomed by the little group in the bakery. She was astounded when Grumbles called out that he was making a welcome feast.

"F...for me....!?" she asked incredulously, staring from him to Tristy to Kate in shock. "Oh! You don't have to do anything like that! Really! I don't want to put anyone to any trouble!" She couldn't believe they were making such a fuss over her. It felt....awkward but good. She sat down with Kate and her mother and they chatted about everything it seemed. They were friendly and welcoming and it was so nice to be around people again. It had been nice being with Kate, but there was just something about being in a group of people that she had missed. She was so happy right now. She hoped Calden was having a nice time too. When Calden whispered to her when the others were occupied she nearly fell off her seat in shock.

"What!?" she whispered in a panic. "What do you mean you saw him? What's he doing? How did you see him? Where? Here?" she asked, whispering in a hoarse voice as she looked around frantically. "What do we do? What do we do?" she asked fearfully, not really paying attention to whether anyone could hear or see her strange behavior.

Sain

The host family were likewise surprised, though theirs was due to the sudden reaction. "Hey? Everything alright?" The mother already asked with a little weirded out look on her face; Kate's eyes had the same worried stare. Calden did not seem to care however. That nightmarish vision still lingered vividly in his mind's eye. It was a miracle enough that he kept his voice hushed when he continued; his voice still shaky and scared, "No... not here. I don't know... It just- Just came from there"-he tried to point towards the valley, but realized there were no hands-"uhm... from the valley, somewhere. He is wearing my body. I looked disgusting on him. Those eyes." Calden quieted his own whimper after finishing, gathering his wits to continue.

"What's wrong Astrid?" Kate asked, adding to her mother's concern for their guest. Ignoring their reactions, Calden continued, "It's, not there anymore. I don't- it just flickered, but I could feel where. I know where he is, I think, or was." Some of the dread flaked off of his tone as he grew more confident. As much as he dreaded the very idea of seeing that God-thing face to face, this was the first hint of its location that they had had since it ran off. "It could start moving again any minute. Astrid, we gotta to, lets go. We can come back later."

The boy waited for her answer nervously. Evening and dinner were on their way though, but just within the first day that thing had already harmed a king of a forest and left it to die. Who knows what it might have done by now.

PennySludt

Astrid looked up quickly when Tristy asked if everything was alright, but she was too distracted by Calden's insistent whispering in her ear. She stared blankly at the two of them as she listened to Calden, her eyes wide and panicked. When he mentioned the valley she turned her head slightly in that direction as though she could see it.

She couldn't help the shiver of horror that ran up her spine when he described how the thing had looked in his body, her face going pale at the thought. She looked back at Kate when she asked again, but Calden was still talking and Astrid couldn't concentrate on both at the same time. She simply stared blankly at Kate as she listened to Calden.

If he knew where the thing was, or thought he knew, did that mean the thing knew where they were too? Did it work both ways? He insisted they leave, and Astrid was caught. When he finally stopped talking, she gave a little shake and focused on Tristy and Kate.

"Uh....I....I have to....have to go...." she stammered, standing up quickly and looking around her almost wildly. If the vision worked both ways and that thing knew where they were, it could decide to come after them. What if it hurt Kate, or Tristy, or anyone here because of them!? She had already got Calden...well...hurt wasn't exactly the term, but he had been harmed because of her. She couldn't let anyone else come to harm because of her. She began walking toward the door.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I...I have to go....I have to go now....I'm so sorry...." she said, trying to stop the tears as she opened the door and began walking out into the dusk of evening. Where she was going or what she planned to do, she didn't know. But she had to leave before anyone else got hurt.