How to change my damn yahoo screen name????

Started by Izu, June 26, 2010, 02:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izu

How the hell can I change it? It keeps saying **** instead of Izu that I want to appear. I tried editing my profile, the contact details, logging in and out and I'm already so frustrated that I feel like screaming! ;_;

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Lilias

You can only change your display name on other users' lists. When you link, it is your username (the one you signed up under) that shows, and I'm afraid that it can't change.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Izu

: ( this is stupid... I'm not talking about the account's name, but about the appearance name... you know... I log in as **** but I want it to show 'Izu' or 'Lil big idiot' or whatever I want to put for an appearance name...

Haibane

Quote from: Lilias on June 26, 2010, 02:18:24 PM
When you link, it is your username (the one you signed up under) that shows, and I'm afraid that it can't change.
What she said. You're stuck with it. The appearance name IS the account name. Annoying but true.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Haibane on June 26, 2010, 06:15:04 PM
What she said. You're stuck with it. The appearance name IS the account name. Annoying but true.

I don't believe that is true.

1. Open YIM
2. Select "Messenger"
3. Select "My Contact Details"
4. Change your Nickname

This will then change the way your name is viewed. It changed mine. I'm not sure why it is not changing yours. If you try it later, I'll let you know what you look like since you're a friend.

Lilias

That can change it only on YIM itself. His link to his messenger on his profile here, or wherever else he uses it, will still be 'whoever@yahoo.com'. The link is to the account username, not to nicknames.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Izu

Well, I can't believe that yahoo made such a lame hole in their messenger.

Lilias

Quote from: Izu on June 27, 2010, 01:01:43 PM
Well, I can't believe that yahoo made such a lame hole in their messenger.

It's not a hole, it's functionality. You can't expect any service to provide for external links that would change whenever a user was of a mind to change their display name  ::)
~Wendell Berry

Izu

Display name =/= ID.

Display name is what shows when you chat with your friends. ID is what you log in. ID stays the same. Display name or screen name or nickname should be possible to change whenever you feel like it. MSN does it, Skype does, ICQ does it, everything I've used until now does it. Even the old yahoo did it. And now I have to show either my full name or my ID to my contacts without the right to change the DISPLAY name? That's stupid. And it's a hole. Big one.

Lilias

As I said in my first post, you can change your display name on YIM itself (from the 'My Account Info' menu), you just can't make external links to your YIM show that.
~Wendell Berry

Marguerite

Actually, I can change Izu's display name when Izu IM's moi. I went to the contact details, placed Izu in the nickname box and got rid of the rest of the name before saving it. Next time Izu IM'ed me, it showed Izu instead of the username. I have no idea how that is possible but now Izu will show up Izu to me and nothing else unless the next time I change the contact details on my YIM.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Izu

From my account info I changed my display name, but I was the only one to see it. I also changed my last name, but it never changed to my IM contacts. Not until they went and manually changed my name to how to appear to them -.-

Marguerite

Quote from: Izu on June 27, 2010, 01:17:46 PM
From my account info I changed my display name, but I was the only one to see it. I also changed my last name, but it never changed to my IM contacts. Not until they went and manually changed my name to how to appear to them -.-

Maybe I should put your nickname as, 'Izu's Sweet Behind?"'

-Winks-

That is the drawback to the new version of YIM.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Izu

As a new yahoo user - it's a total turn off.

kimbersee

I've had this same issue where I couldn't change my display name on IM no matter where I changed it. However, I then tried to open a new IM account and was able to change the display name so I have no idea what glitch YIM has where in some accounts you can change and others you can't.

Soran

I used my nickname as the account name, that was the only I could get it to show what I wanted. Sorry Izu. Maybe you could ditch your current account or just open a second with the name you wish to use?