Nintendo 3/2DS Worth it?

Started by slaveaziza, December 26, 2013, 09:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slaveaziza

I only really have a DSi because a friend gave it to me and I can play Pokemon on it... Is it worth it to get the 3 or 2DS so that I can play X/Y? Are there other games that make this system worth while?

GanonDwarf

Kid Icarus Uprising
Smash Bros will be on it.
Super Mario 3D land.
Animal Crossing
Legend of Zelda: Link between worlds.

To name a few.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Chris Brady

2DS is more worth it, cuz it's cheaper, meaning more games on the same budget.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

I have the 3dsXL, I did not like the small ass screen on the original 3ds and I do not like the look or the cheap feel of the 2ds.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Florence

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 26, 2013, 10:50:13 PM
2DS is more worth it, cuz it's cheaper, meaning more games on the same budget.

Yeah, but for that decrease in price you're getting no 3D, mono-sound if you don't use headphones, a cheap and clunky feel, overall worse button layout and a less portable design that can't be folded up.

All in all, if you're willing to shell out the money for a new handheld, just get the 3DS; or better yet, the 3DS XL. You'll spend a little more, but the quality is worth it.

I just got a 3DS XL for Christmas, and while I didn't wind up buying it for myself, there are a lot of other things I could have asked for; and I can safely say I'm happy I asked for this. Its a really quality system, the games are amazing, and the 3D... while it CAN be finicky and disorienting if you're not playing sitting straight up, is really impressive on all the games I've played so far.

To add to dwarfvader's list: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is simply amazing, and has instantly become one of my all time favorite games.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

slaveaziza

Thanks for the input. I'll have to save up for the 3DS XL.

Chris Brady

Or you can wait for 2DS XL, because you KNOW they'll do it.

The issue with a 3DS is that the clamshell design is very easy to break apart (which is an issue with laptops as well) if you're not careful (that's not to say it's fragile, but it is MORE than a solid piece.)

Also, I don't know of anyone who cares about stereo sound in a handheld, and don't use headphones to not bother the other kids (adults) around them.  The button layout isn't that bad, but I can understand the issue, as can the portability.  However, it's much sturdier because it's a single piece as opposed to two pieces attached by a pair of small screw in a plastic frame.

And finally, most people who get a xDS unit don't really care about the 3D enough to be a selling point.  Most games don't even need it.  It's a 'Feature' no one wanted, not to say it's not appreciated, but a better/longer battery life would have been preferred than the energy sucking 3D.

The 2DS is much cheaper, more solid, and has a slightly (which isn't really all that good, I admit) battery life because it doesn't have a feature that most non-Nintendo games won't be using anyway, drawing power when it's not being used.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Florence

As long as you're not reckless with your 3DS, you shouldn't have to worry about it. I can't imagine what scenario you could really be in where it would snap in half WHILE you're using it. Just make sure to fold it up and put it someplace safe when you're not using it and the durability of it should be a relative non-issue.

As the sound... the sound quality of my 3DS XL is actually pretty good. Sure if I'm playing it while out and about I'll use headphones, but sometimes if I'm just sitting alone at home, and there's no noise around me, I'll play it from the speakers. Headphones can be uncomfortable. Earbuds can be a nightmare if you have them on for too long, and regular headphones can be clunky if you're trying to get comfortable and play at the same time.

I'll give you that the speaker issue isn't a deal-breaker by any measure, but being able to get good sound quality without headphones is certainly a perk.

As for the layout, I can't speak from experience, but from what I've heard the main issue most people have is that while its fine using traditional controls, if you need to use the stylus while playing, it can get rather uncomfortable.

The 3D feature is somewhat similar to the speaker issue for me. If I'm out and about on the road or something, yeah, I'll turn the 3D off to keep the battery going longer, but when I'm home and near a power outlet, I actually really like the 3D. I didn't think I would, honestly, and was considering getting a 2DS instead, but after playing it with the 3D on, I'm really glad I went for the 3DS XL instead. It may not be required for games, but it looks damn good on the games I've played. And as for the power with the 3D off, even you admit the difference isn't that huge.

Simply put, I would say to go ahead and get the 2DS if you're in a situation where you think you break your 3DS... like, for instance if you have kids and don't have any place to put the 3DS where they can't reach it. Really, the increased durability was intended as a safety measure for children, as... well, kids do have a tendency to break things.

If you only play a handheld while you're out on the go, and you don't mind always having to carry around something big enough to store the 2DS in when its not in use; and you don't mind not having the option to use 3D, then I suppose I could also recommend the 2DS. But even then, I would kind of be leaning towards one of the 3DS models, just because its so much simply to be able to just flip it closed and stuff it in your pocket when you're not using it; and there's the added bonus of having a more comfortable layout while using the stylus.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Chris Brady

Having played with a 3DS XL and owning a 2DS, most of those issues are really non-issues save one, very important one.

Screen size.  Which to me is a very important factor.  If you can afford it, get a 3DS XL.  I took the 2DS because of my budget limits.

Florence

I never owned a 3DS or 2DS, I couldn't really afford one until the XL was already out, but I've heard the screen size is much better.

Chris Brady

slaveaziza

This has been really informative so far. I'm not really all that concerned about the 3D but I would like better screen quality. I don't have to worry about the fragility of the system because I don't have anyone around to destroy it. I think I'm gonna wait to see if they come out with a 2DS XL option to see what the difference in cost is then go from there.

Tsenta

a 2DSXL might run as much as a plain 3DS. I do have to say, some of the games for the handhelds rock though.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

jennywren

I bought a 3DS used from someone who decided to get a 3DS XL. I've found that I've got my money's worth out of it - I got a very good deal but even if I'd paid full price I wouldn't have been disappointed.

I don't like the shape of the 2DS (although I don't own one, I've just played around with it a bit instore). The lack of 3D doesn't really bother me - there are a couple games where I really like it but for the most part you can generally skip out on it, and for some games it's almost completely unnecessary and slows down the game (Pokemon X & Y being one).

There's a lot of good games to play and I didn't own a DS either so I've caught up on some old games I never played. I'm not an RPG fan but there are a lot of good RPGs for the 3DS - if you like them then you'll find quite a bit to love. But like I said, I'm not and I still have a good number of games and enjoy them.

Personally I like the 3DS as it's a bit smaller and fits in my bag more easily - the 3DS XL is a bit bulky for me and I don't mind the smaller screen, but I know a lot of people say that they like the bigger screen a lot more. Generally I only play it at home, but I like to carry it around for streetpass! :-) Which is quite fun by the way - there are a few neat little diversions on the 3DS even if you don't have more games.

The screen quality is generally pretty alright in my opinion, the 3DS XL has a bigger one obviously but the resolution is the same. The speaker quality is the GREATEST but I never use headphones with it and I don't have any huge complaints really.

Some favorite games I've played on mine are Pokemon X, Link Between Worlds and Animal Crossing. Star Fox is really good and I like the 3D effects in it more than any other game I've played so far, and it's pretty short but has good replay value. Super Mario 3D Land is kind of the same... short, but good replay value. I don't play games on the go, I mostly play at home so I like a longer game generally... like I said, not into RPGs but one that people have really been talking a lot about is Bravely Default (a new game by makers of Final Fantasy I think?) and people seem really excited for it - I think it's already been out for a while in Japan.

Venka

I got the 3DS XL and I feel like it was worth it.  Other than Pokemon X/Y, I've enjoyed Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Style Savvy: Trendsetters, and Super Mario 3D Land.  I'm also addicted to collecting puzzle pieces on Street Pass.  There's actually a pretty huge selection of games available.  I've got more games on my wishlist in the eShop than I think I'll ever have time to play.

Anyway, I think if you generally like Nintendo's games, you'd probably get some enjoyment out of a 3DS or 2DS.  Some games have some neat 3D effects, but I don't think you'd lose much without them on the 2DS.  It's mostly noticeable in cutscenes in games.  In most games I've played, the gameplay is rendered further from the camera where the 3D effect isn't as strong anyway.  I'd be lying if I said there weren't moments I've found it really impressive, but for the most part it's just a novelty and not really all that important.  The main things I think the 3DS XL has on the 2DS are screen size, and the folding design makes it a bit more portable.